Thread: i5 and water, how are people doing it?

Xtreme Member

i5 and water, how are people doing it?

I just bought a evga P55 ftw and I'm wondering what people are doing to make their blocks fit the new socket. I know that the evga mb's have both 1156 and 775 mounting, but I don't like the fact that the 775 holes are at an angle. I currently have a GTZ on my P45, but I was planning on swapping the P45 with the P55. I'm not sure, but I haven't seen any updates on current waterblocks to make them work on 1156.

I also noticed in Gabe's XT thread that my mb has a backplate that supports the cpu mounting mechanism. It seems that it would interfere with the GTZ's backplate. I might have to get creative to make this work.

Thanks

Xtreme Guru
    I'm about to get that board and I was just going to use the 775 holes. I am kindof curious if there will be a temp difference or not. I haven't seen any testing as of yet though.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Member
    Well, I was going to use the 775 holes until something becomes available to where I can use the 1156 holes. I'll find out in a little but what happens, once I tear down my rig.

Xtreme Guru
    Yea, i didn't notice that it was at a slight angle till you said it. I just got this HK block, so I don't plan in getting rid of it anytime soon. The performance will probably not be that great seeing it is at an angle. I won't start my build for a few more weeks though.

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Member
    This was a spur of the moment purchase for me. Fry's has the P55 ftw and i5 750 for $299.99. I wanted something new to mess with, so I bought this and some DDR3 to go with it.

Xtreme Guru
    Damn, wish I saw that, nice deal.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Wow, evga offers 7 p55 boards. It's ftw version doubles the cost of regular size P55 LE, I can't imagine what the price of classified is going to be.
    Armor.exe worklog

Mobo: Asus Rampage 2 Extreme X58
    CPU: i7 920
    GPU: ATi HD 4870x2
    Sound: Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1
    PSU : Corsair HX1000
    RAM: OCZ 3 x 2GB tri channel DDR3-1600
    HDD: WD 640 Black RAID 0 + 1

Watercooled

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by exe163 View Post
    Wow, evga offers 7 p55 boards. It's ftw version doubles the cost of regular size P55 LE, I can't imagine what the price of classified is going to be.
    $350

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInf...board%20Family

It seems to include the NF200 chip that allows for tri-sli+physx

I think I would spend the extra $50 and get the 1366 socket though.

PI in the face
    I was using my phase backplate with screws and nuts and gtz 1366 mount. the screws turned a bit outwards but worked great
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

Xtreme Guru
    Put an e-mail into Gary last night about the socket 1156 kits for HK3.0. He has them on order, but still no ETA. His best guess right now is a couple of weeks.

Xtreme Member
    Well, I got the gtz on the mb. The mb has it's own back plate underneath the cpu. I just put the gtz's backplate under the existing backplate and tightened it up. The gtz looks crooked, but that's because the 775 holes are rotated a little bit.

I just barely started overclocking the chip. I really don't know what I'm doing. First time using with a P55 and I never used an X58 either.

Temps so far at 3.6ghz with 1.27v is 55°c. It seems a little high to me, but I don't know.

Xtreme Member
    Been looking into p55 stuff for the last month wanna build a micro size system on it but still waiting for now till all the parts come out

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime359 View Post
    Yea, i didn't notice that it was at a slight angle till you said it. I just got this HK block, so I don't plan in getting rid of it anytime soon. The performance will probably not be that great seeing it is at an angle. I won't start my build for a few more weeks though.
    You will be able to get the adapter kit for 1156 0r 1366, I'm wondering why retailers are selling the different models when the block is supposed to be modular Just saw ...you knew that already
    Mikecdm that is a great price i paid that 4 the board alone....gutted! hopefully my friend can get me a cheap chip from china to ease my woes
    Respec'
    System:Bunch of crappy overclocked PC's that cost an arm and a leg

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by RADCOM View Post
    You will be able to get the adapter kit for 1156 0r 1366, I'm wondering why retailers are selling the different models when the block is supposed to be modular Just saw ...you knew that already
    Mikecdm that is a great price i paid that 4 the board alone....gutted! hopefully my friend can get me a cheap chip from china to ease my woes
    I was hoping to be able to just use the socket 775 holes on the EVGA board, but seems I probably should get the proper kit so my block isn't angled.

I guess it is a good thing my build won't start for a few weeks LOL.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My Fuzion v.2 is angled in the skt775 holes and seems to be working well. It's showing its age, but is good for not having spent any extra money on it. Here is some testing on an i7 860.

3.6GHz, 1.282Vcore loaded, HT enabled.

(This is where I'm folding right now. With two SMP clients running, it's between 55C and 61C depending on ambient.)

3.8GHz, 1.317Vcore loaded, HT Enabled. The monitoring screenshots had Prime running and minimized so it showed accurate results.

4.0Ghz, 1.376Vcore loaded, HT disabled.

[XC] gomeler - Public note: If you PM me to tell me that I am disrespectful at least have space in your PM box so I can tell you I don't care.

[XC] gomeler - I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.

I heart gomeler!

Mr Swiftech
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecdm View Post
    I just bought a evga P55 ftw and I'm wondering what people are doing to make their blocks fit the new socket. I know that the evga mb's have both 1156 and 775 mounting, but I don't like the fact that the 775 holes are at an angle. I currently have a GTZ on my P45, but I was planning on swapping the P45 with the P55. I'm not sure, but I haven't seen any updates on current waterblocks to make them work on 1156.

I also noticed in Gabe's XT thread that my mb has a backplate that supports the cpu mounting mechanism. It seems that it would interfere with the GTZ's backplate. I might have to get creative to make this work.

Thanks
    The GTZ 775 back-plate will not work with your board. You'd have to use the upcoming 1156 back-plate. This will be ready end of this week or next. Also, the GTZ now has a new hold-down plate that features elongated holes (like the XT), so it is also compatible with 775, 1156 and 1366. You will be able to upgrade your GTZ to full 1156 compatibility sometimes next week I think.
    Last edited by gabe; 10-12-2009 at 05:33 PM.
    CEO Swiftech

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    The GTZ 775 back-plate will not work with your board. You'd have to use the upcoming 1156 back-plate. This will be ready end of this week or next. Also, the GTZ now has a new hold-down plate that features elongated holes (like the XT), so it is also compatible with 775, 1156 and 1366. You will be able to upgrade your GTZ to full 1156 compatibility sometimes next week I think.
    That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks gabe.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by exe163 View Post
    What is ftw version? What does ftw stand for?

Sorry I'm an old fart, that meant something else when I was young.

Quote Originally Posted by Weevil View Post
    What is ftw version? What does ftw stand for?

Sorry I'm an old fart, that meant something else when I was young.
    "For The Win".
    Alpha and Omega: AMD Phenom II 1100T/MSI 880GMA-E55/XFX HD-679X-ZDFC/8GB G. Skill Ripjaw RAM/Windows 7 Professional, SP1 64-Bit

Rage of Erudition: Toshiba Satellite L505D-GS6000

AMD 4 Life!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by denali View Post
    "For The Win".
    For The Win!!

thx man