Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

Thread: Swiftech unveils Apogee XT new flagship waterblock

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    correction: our test show 0.1C difference.
    the bigger difference is in pressure drop (see curve). this will not be noticeable in a cpu loop only, but could be more noticeable in a loop including multiple devices. although it should also be said that the XT is not very flow sensitive.
    Okay cool! Yay gained back some RPM!

You should see what happens when I restart the computer. For a second the BIOS is not doing anything and therefore the fans are full speed due to a lack of a PWM signal. Hilarious! Wife and kids know every time I restart it.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadasius View Post
    Okay cool! Yay gained back some RPM!

You should see what happens when I restart the computer. For a second the BIOS is not doing anything and therefore the fans are full speed due to a lack of a PWM signal. Hilarious! Wife and kids know every time I restart it.
    I hope neighboors not

Memory Addict
    ETA in the US is ~October 15. There is never anything firm until the product is finished, QC'd, shipped, and arrived in stock ;-)

The 1156 bracket is NOT optional. it is included with the XT. It just wasn't ready yet, and we did not want to delay release of the XT for another 2 weeks for a bracket used in a CPU that was just introduced on the market and not yet in super high demand. As clearly indicated on our site, we will mail the bracket upon request for those customers purchasing the first batch of XT's shipped without the bracket. After that, we'll be bundling both bracket in the box.
    Hi Gabe, any idea if any XT blocks are due to shipping to Australian distributors soon ??
    ---

Xtreme Guru
    PPC has them in stock, go get them

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=26480
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Member
    Wow $90 after shipping is like ~$100 for me, thx but no thx i can't afford another block now

Mr Swiftech

Apogee XT issue with Gigabyte boards

Technical bulletin:

ISSUE:

We have just uncovered an interference issue with Gigabyte boards socket 1366, X58 chipset; the model numbers are: GA-EX58-EXTREME, GA-EX58-UD3R GA-EX58-UD3R-SLI, GA-EX58-UD4P and GA-EX58-UD5.

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:

All these boards feature a group of caps located flush with the CPU socket (left hand side , between socket and I/O ports).

The edge of the Apogee XT copper base plate is slightly interfering with these caps by a few tenth of a millimeter. This may prevent proper installation, and could cause damage to the board.

OTHER MAKES AND MODELS:

In the best of our knowledge, the issue is STRICTLY limited to the above mentioned Gigabyte models, and does not affect ANY other models or brands on the market at this time.

RESOLUTION:

We are in the process of implementing a fix for this, consisting in adding a chamfer to the Apogee XT base plate that will provide sufficient clearance for these caps. Validation of the solution will be finalized by Monday October 12th. All Apogee XT blocks will subsequently receive the revision.

Early adopters of the Apogee XT and owners of the Gigabyte boards are advised of the following:

While it has been reported to us that it is possible to carefully mount the block by gently nudging the caps to the left while mating the block to the CPU, we do not recommend using the Apogee XT with these boards until a revision to the base plate has been implemented.

Users can either return their block to the point of purchase for a full refund, or send us back their block directly for an immediate revision. All efforts will be made to maintain a turnaround time of 24 hours.

Please contact Michelle@swiftech.com if you have the above issue.

We do apologize for the inconvenience.

[EDIT] *******10-13-09 UPDATE******

The final technical bulletin has now been published on the Apogee XT product page.
    Last edited by gabe; 10-13-2009 at 02:35 PM.
    CEO Swiftech

Xtreme Addict
    Nice work gabe. A great looking new block and the usual customer support. Good on'ya swiftech!

Xtreme Member
    Just put my BNIB GTZ up for sale in my local forums

Hahas

this block sure looks good

Xtreme Member
    @ gabe: i'm really interested (right now i own a GTZ 775 :p)

but i've an important question: what about the back-socket compatibility? i mean this (eVGA P55 FTW)

ps. someone can tell me if i can find the block in the UK?
    Last edited by KURTZ; 10-09-2009 at 02:51 AM.
    OBSIDIAN 800D, ASRock P67 Professional, Intel 2600K [UNLOCKED] watercooled by Ybris Black Sun (HWLabs Black Ice SR1-360 w/Nanoxia 2K, Swiftech MCP655 + Res XSPC), 4GB KINGSTON LoVo, SSD 128GB Crucial RealSSD C300, HDD Seagate Barracuda 250GB/500GB, Corsair HX 750w, nVidia 260 GTX XFX Black Edition, X-FI Xtreme Gamer

Xtreme Member
    Technical bulletin:

ISSUE:

We have just uncovered an interference issue with Gigabyte boards socket 1366, X58 chipset; the model numbers are: GA-EX58-EXTREME, GA-EX58-UD3R GA-EX58-UD3R-SLI, GA-EX58-UD4P and GA-EX58-UD5.

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:

All these boards feature a group of caps located flush with the CPU socket (left hand side , between socket and I/O ports).

The edge of the Apogee XT copper base plate is slightly interfering with these caps by a few tenth of a millimeter. This may prevent proper installation, and could cause damage to the board.

OTHER MAKES AND MODELS:

In the best of our knowledge, the issue is STRICTLY limited to the above mentioned Gigabyte models, and does not affect ANY other models or brands on the market at this time.

RESOLUTION:

We are in the process of implementing a fix for this, consisting in adding a chamfer to the Apogee XT base plate that will provide sufficient clearance for these caps. Validation of the solution will be finalized by Monday October 12th. All Apogee XT blocks will subsequently receive the revision.

Early adopters of the Apogee XT and owners of the Gigabyte boards are advised of the following:

While it has been reported to us that it is possible to carefully mount the block by gently nudging the caps to the left while mating the block to the CPU, we do not recommend using the Apogee XT with these boards until a revision to the base plate has been implemented.

Users can either return their block to the point of purchase for a full refund, or send us back their block directly for an immediate revision. All efforts will be made to maintain a turnaround time of 24 hours.

Please contact Michelle@swiftech.com if you have the above issue.

We do apologize for the inconvenience.
    Holy grief just ordered mine from performancepcs yesterday, and I have EX58-EXTREME
    I live in Norway so it will cost a fortune to return it !

Is it anyway to fix this myself ? File away the affected area ? Will the performance of the block be degraded then ?

Another question regarding the mounting - mount it as stated in the manual both on atx / btx mainboards ?
    Last edited by Main; 10-09-2009 at 05:27 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Main View Post
    Holy grief just ordered mine from performancepcs yesterday, and I have EX58-EXTREME

Is it anyway to fix this myself ? File away the affected area ? Will the performance of the block be degraded then ?

Another question regarding the mounting - mount it as stated in the manual both on atx / btx mainboards ?
    Mine is coming in tomorrow or Monday.

I have GB x58 EXtreme as well. Same issue occurs with vertical mount of HK waterblock. Vapor found if you nudge caps out of way, which I did for a while, it works...but I got tired of having to do that playing with different tims....so 3 minutes with a file, just rounded/flattened that one square edge, no more problems. Also with my finger had gently but permanently nudged the caps over by probably 0.1 or 0.2 mm as well.

If its the same issue as heatkiller, Ill be filing mine down. I appreciate Swiftechs great customer support...but my laziness for returning items knows no bounds.

If all your doing is rounding one edge, your obviously not going to affect the performance of the block, unless somehow you managed to make it leak/damage it, though dont see how if similar to HK issue.

It is this interfering edge on HK, that I rounded/flattened. NOTE: I am not suggesting anyone else do this, especially since Gabe is going to take care of it.

BTW...any chance of seeing a pic or description of swiftech base change...ie, is the edge simply being rounded/flattened?

Xtreme Guru
    Seems Gigabyte's caps causing issues again.

Its great you guys found that quickly and are adjusting the block to fit properly. Great job as usual Gabe.

Main,

Send an e-mail to Michelle and explain your situation, they may very well work out something for you.

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Member
    Might well be that I do contact them ... but then again I know how to use a file... and have access to a mechanical workshop too. So I can mill the edge down if I want a perfect result.
    Let's see what Swifttech answer here...
    Worklog - xtreeme Please comment and give me your input | Testware |

Xtreme Mentor
    Might well be that I do contact them ... but then again I know how to use a file... and have access to a mechanical workshop too. So I can mill the edge down if I want a perfect result.
    Let's see what Swifttech answer here...
    just send an email say you have the necessary equipment to do it yourself, and if possible be able to and still maintain the warranty.. that or ask them to pay shipping..

or you cold just nudge the caps out the way a tad :/
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Enthusiast
    XS forums bring people together !

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Does the Apogee XT have better flow rates than a Heatkiller 3.0?

It's between the two of them for me. While the XT performs better by about 1c...heatkiller looks better and can perform the same with silicon grease so it really comes down to flow rates

I am Xtreme
    Would be nice to get one of these including in the october roundup (hint, hint Sir Gabe :p)

Mr Swiftech
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
    Would be nice to get one of these including in the october roundup (hint, hint Sir Gabe :p)
    done - email michelle@swiftech.com for your updated address.
    CEO Swiftech

Mr Swiftech
    I agree. But let me take this opportunity to elaborate a little further here:

We have been working double time on this issue in the past 24 hours. For the record, when we designed our block, we used Intel official specifications (362033_362033_Nehalem_EP_EMTS_Ver1.52). If there are any revisions to this document affecting the keep-out zone, I am not aware of them.

The keep-out zone around the socket specifies that NO COMPONENTS SHOULD EXCEED 7MM IN HEIGHT ABOVE BOARD.

Knowing that the CPU IHS is 7.8mm above board, this obviously makes sense.

Gigabyte capacitors have been measured at 8.6mm above board. So they clearly are in violation of Intel specs. Now, are they the only ones? No Sirree.. Measured the caps on an Asus board, and the height is comprised between 8.7 and 8.8mm above board. The big difference between the Asus and the gigabyte boards is that Asus in their infinite wisdom, chose to place these caps far away enough from the socket so that they don't interfere with extra large heatsinks.

Note: any Intel rep reading this, welcome to comment or PM me.

/Rant on: So now, I am seriously frustrated because we have to revise several hundred base plates. Where are we going if M/B manufacturers don't respect Intel specs???? What's even more frustrating, is that I understand that [another] waterblock manufacturer is suffering the same pligh, but didn't do anything about it, forcing consummers to install their product in a less than optimal configuration.. /Rant off

Anyways, as far as you are concerned, this is what we'll do: send you a replacement plate without you having to return the "bad" one. Please contact michelle@swiftech.com to give her your address.

Quote Originally Posted by rge View Post
    Mine is coming in tomorrow or Monday.

I have GB x58 EXtreme as well. Same issue occurs with vertical mount of HK waterblock. Vapor found if you nudge caps out of way, which I did for a while, it works...but I got tired of having to do that playing with different tims....so 3 minutes with a file, just rounded/flattened that one square edge, no more problems. Also with my finger had gently but permanently nudged the caps over by probably 0.1 or 0.2 mm as well.

If its the same issue as heatkiller, Ill be filing mine down. I appreciate Swiftechs great customer support...but my laziness for returning items knows no bounds.

If all your doing is rounding one edge, your obviously not going to affect the performance of the block, unless somehow you managed to make it leak/damage it, though dont see how if similar to HK issue.

It is this interfering edge on HK, that I rounded/flattened. NOTE: I am not suggesting anyone else do this, especially since Gabe is going to take care of it.

BTW...any chance of seeing a pic or description of swiftech base change...ie, is the edge simply being rounded/flattened?
    I really do not recommend you do that. contrary to my earlier announcement, where we were planing on cutting a simple chamfer, it appears (subject to final validation) that the "proper" and final revision necessitates milling a 1.3mm deep x 2.5mm wide step all around the plate (avoiding the screws so as not to damage the threads). 7.8 + 1.3 = 9.1mm Plenty of clearance, even with lapped processors! But, it's not something you can do at home. If you butcher your plate, I guarantee you that you will lose performance, and likely not get sufficient clearance with the caps.

just email Michelle@swiftech.com, and we'll send you a replacement plate next week. However, since you are in the US, we will ask for your original plate back ;-)

Warning: the above discussion and information is subject to change, until final validation.
    CEO Swiftech

Xtreme Guru
    That is great news Gabe. It is nice to see that you are taking care of this issue. That is issue was discovered with HK's blocks and we haven't heard anything from them on it. We all know how great reference designs are with the GTX200 series.

Thanks again Gabe.

Xtreme Addict

I really do not recommend you do that. contrary to my earlier announcement, where we were planing on cutting a simple chamfer, it appears (subject to final validation) that the "proper" and final revision necessitates milling a 1.3mm deep x 2.5mm wide step all around the plate (avoiding the screws so as not to damage the threads). 7.8 + 1.3 = 9.1mm Plenty of clearance, even with lapped processors! But, it's not something you can do at home. If you butcher your plate, I guarantee you that you will lose performance, and likely not get sufficient clearance with the caps.

just email Michelle@swiftech.com, and we'll send you a replacement plate next week. However, since you are in the US, we will ask for your original plate back ;-)

Warning: the above discussion and information is subject to change, until final validation.
    Thanks for the warning, yeah that is a little beyond my filing skills. I will email michelle when it arrives.

Xtreme Member
    Anyways, as far as you are concerned, this is what we'll do: send you a replacement plate without you having to return the "bad" one. Please contact michelle@swiftech.com to give her your address.
    Excellent ! ... I have the GTZ in my box now (see sig) - extremely pleased with it; as well as the other products from you I have - and have had in the past.

Today I also learnt a new lesson - Swiftech's customer policy is like their products I know - excellent !!!

Have a nice weekend ! ( that goes to all here for that matter )

Edit: I had this question about how to mount the GTZ / XT in BTX cases ; is this correct or what :

Last edited by Main; 10-09-2009 at 07:00 PM.
    Worklog - xtreeme Please comment and give me your input | Testware |

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Astratuner View Post
    The 1366 backplate that I've now with my GTZ = the same is this one right? So no motherboard remounting?
    Ahem ahem

Xtreme Member
    i bought a gtz a day before this comes out......
    CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5530 @ 3.6Ghz
    GPU: 2x 580GTX
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB
    MB: Evga SR-2
    HDD: OCZ Agility 3 120GB
    PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 1200W
    Monitor: 4x Samsung Sync Master 245BW

Mr Swiftech
    Excellent ! ... I have the GTZ in my box now (see sig) - extremely pleased with it; as well as the other products from you I have - and have had in the past.

Today I also learnt a new lesson - Swiftech's customer policy is like their products I know - excellent !!!

Have a nice weekend ! ( that goes to all here for that matter )

Edit: I had this question about how to mount the GTZ / XT in BTX cases ; is this correct or what :

Yes, your GTZ installation is correct.

However, the GTZ and XT are two entirely different waterblocks, and the mounting orientation is explained differently in our installation guide.

Apogee GTZ:

Apogee XT:

In the XT as shown above, we explain the mounting orientation by making use of an easily recognizable feature of the block: 2 sides of the block have 3 screws, and 2 sides have only 2 screws, and we ask that one of the sides with 3 screws be adjacent and parallel to the socket locking lever.
    Last edited by gabe; 10-10-2009 at 08:56 AM.
    CEO Swiftech

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast