Thread: Bloodrage bug

Xtreme Member

Bloodrage bug

When I restart my computer with a removable drive plugged in it will crash and I will get a overclock recovery screen. But when I unplug it and boot all is fine.
    Also I noticed after any crash that I have to clear cmos and force hardware reset to see the drives, hdd and dvd drive in the bios menu for got the name of the tab but it is the first option in the bios.

I am using P09
    Anyone else seeing this issue?

Xtreme Addict
    Nope.. I started countless times with USB card reader or USB flash disc.. and its ok..
    i7 930 D0 - 4,2 GHz + Megashadow
    3x4GB Crucial 1600MHz CL8
    Foxconn Bloodrage rev. 1.1 - P09
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    SeaGate ES.2 1TB + 1TB External SeaGate
    Corsair HX 850W (its GOLD man!)
    ASUS STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (tape mod)

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

Xtreme Member
    For some reason I am thinking it has something to do with the IDE cable from my dvd. Thats only thing that would differ from most systems out there using pata

For You Reference:
    Your USB Removable device is USB-HDD, the BIOS defined it as HDD boot device, and the "HDD Boot Priority" state is set as below.
    1. USB-HDD,
    2. SATA Port
    3. Bootable Add-in Cards.

"Boot Setting Deviece" is set as below
    1st Boot Device: Hard Disk
    2st Boot Device: CDROM
    3st Boot Device: Removable

When plug in USB-HDD without boot function, and CD driver does't insert any boot CD, the system won't boot.

So I think you can try to change the HDD Boot Priority setting.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    ocpie, i dont really understand what your saying....

but i dont think hes trying to boot from the usb hdd and then complaints that the bios needs to be reset once he removes it.
    besides, i can boot from usb with a bootable usb stick and usb hdd without any problems, and as soon as i remove them from the system, they just dissapear from the boot device lists, like they should, and i can boot fine...

i have a dvd pata drive and pata hdd
    usb hdd
    usb stick
    and a sata hdd

all works fine and i could boot from all of them... and i connected and disconnected them every now and then and it never caused me any problems...
    so i suspect it might have somnething to do with your removable hdd...

[QUOTE=saaya;4052364]ocpie, i dont really understand what your saying....

I mean the Removable- HDD was set as first boot device in "HDD Boot Priority" submenu, but the Removable HDD doesn't have boot files.

Xtreme Member
    I also have a similar issue ... with boot order

1st Boot Device: Removable
    2nd Boot Device: Hard Disk
    3rd Boot Device: CDROM

Removable=floppy
    Hard Disk= IDE
    CDROM= Sata2

I can boot fine.

When i insert a non-bootable usb stick (which sets as 2nd removable device)
    The usb settings for this stick is set to auto or fdd.

The system hungs on .... Verifying dmi pool data.

If the usb settings for this stick is set to hdd ... there's no problem

Is that normal ?
    Last edited by TASOS; 10-07-2009 at 02:02 AM.

Asus Rampage IV Extreme ==> i7 4930k @4.9Ghz water-cooled (3325A911) IMC 3400+
    Asus Maximus V Gene ==> i7 3770k @4.8Ghz air-cooled (L224B652) IMC 3100+
    VTX3D 7870 Black Edition
    Avexir 2666 CL-11
    Enermax Revolution 85+

Xtreme X.I.P.
    hmmmm weird... maybe it has to do with the ubs stick formatting? no idea...
    mine is fat32 iirc...

i never noticed a diference between the usb detection modes, but i didnt exactly test it on br...
    well usually, whatever boot device cant be booted from will just be skipped...
    so the bug seems to be that usb devices cant be skipped if they are non bootable?
    that doesnt make any sense either though, ive had non bootable usb sticks installed while booting up as well and it always worked fine...

can somebody with the problems post all bios settings related to usb and boot priority that cause the problem?

Xtreme Member
    My system does this too, exactly as the first post states, if I plug in my USB Hard Dsik Drive and forget to unplug it before I restart for any particular reason, I get an overclock failed warning, I dont have to reset the bios though, I just have to remove the usb cable and restart the machine again, all works fine from there.

However I dont have this problem with any other usb devices at all, including my 4gb USB Stick.
    Intel Core i7 920 2.66ghz @ 4.3ghz HT Enabled, core @ 1.34v, VTT @ 1.28v, NB @ 1.30v (212 x 21) Batch No: 3910A369
    6gb (3x2gb) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 17000C9 2133MHz @ 1640mhz 8-8-8-24-1T
    Gigabyte G1.Sniper Rev 1.0 @ 205fsb Beta Bios
    1 x OCZ Agility 3 120gb SSD, AHCI
    1 x Western Digital 500gb SATAIII 16mb Cache HDD, AHCI
    Sony DVD +/- R/RW/RAM x22 Dual Layer, AHCI
    2 x Saphire ATI Radeon R9 270 2gb (Crossfire)
    Gigabyte Odin 850w Modular PSU (Software Controlled)
    EK Supreme HF Copper LGA1366, Laing D5 Pump, 2 x 240mm Radiator & 120mm Radiator
    Cooler Master HAF XB LAN Box
    Windows Se7en Pro x64 bit

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanie's Show View Post
    My system does this too, exactly as the first post states, if I plug in my USB Hard Dsik Drive and forget to unplug it before I restart for any particular reason, I get an overclock failed warning, I dont have to reset the bios though, I just have to remove the usb cable and restart the machine again, all works fine from there.

However I dont have this problem with any other usb devices at all, including my 4gb USB Stick.
    I do not have to reset bios, only if I want to see my dvd drive, HDD info inside the bios, pictures coming later today, right now getting ready for a tear down of water cooling system.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    alright, sounds like usb hdds are automatically detected as bootable device and put on top of the boot list, and for some reason cant be skipped?
    never happened with my bootable usb hdd... does the hdd have to be bootable for this to happen maybe?

Xtreme Member
    First I will post bios after a crash then it will go to Cmos clear and force restart.

After the reset below

all other screens are the same these are the only 2 that change
    This USB Hdd is not set up to boot from just to store data.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    strange... hope the guys in yantai can figure this out...
    carl, would be great if you could check this quickly to confirm it happens for you too

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    strange... hope the guys in yantai can figure this out...
    carl, would be great if you could check this quickly to confirm it happens for you too
    Very strange, and I feel I have to clear it everytime because I do not know what else would be getting changed and if it would be effecting overclocking.

Question since I have a pic posted on it, What does Turbo Memory support do?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    turbo memory?
    is it maybe a new name for virtual XMP?

Xtreme Member
    On the On CHip IDE device Bio page there is an option for Turbo Memory Support Enable/Disable

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellowyellow View Post
    On the On CHip IDE device Bio page there is an option for Turbo Memory Support Enable/Disable
    ha! really?
    turbo memory was intels own cache interface to boost hdd speeds wasnt it?
    must be some legacy setting i guess

Quote Originally Posted by Mellowyellow View Post

The issue is caused by "OC- Recovery" function , I'd like to give you some suggestion for your reference:

1. Disabled the "Quantum BIOS->OC Gear->Over Clock Recovery" , then check whether the issue is still exist.

2. Change another USB Cable, if the time of BIOS detecting usb-hdd is longer than "OC Recovery" setting value on POST, the BIOS maybe mistake the OC fail and start the "OC-Recovery" function.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ocpie View Post
    The issue is caused by "OC- Recovery" function , I'd like to give you some suggestion for your reference:

1. Disabled the "Quantum BIOS->OC Gear->Over Clock Recovery" , then check whether the issue is still exist.

2. Change another USB Cable, if the time of BIOS detecting usb-hdd is longer than "OC Recovery" setting value on POST, the BIOS maybe mistake the OC fail and start the "OC-Recovery" function.
    Still does it.