MMM
    X

    Subscribe to New Ads!

    Receive weekly ads in your inbox!



Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 85

Thread: RoundUP: 23 SuperCoolers tested (extreme TDP, lapping, moding, 250CFM+)

  1. #51
    color red illidan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,486
    how did you get those odd temps for IFX-14?

    68.5 C with 2x3000rpm and TRUE 63 C

    how did you measure .5 C?

  2. #52
    Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Romania, lab501.ro
    Posts
    1,710
    The final temps in the graphs are the sum of the temps on all cores, divided by 4. Ergo, odd numbers like that appear
    Weissbier - breakfast of champions



  3. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Belgrade-Serbia
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by illidan View Post
    how did you get those odd temps for IFX-14?

    68.5 C with 2x3000rpm and TRUE 63 C
    Good question!

    Just because you look stupid, you're not stupid unless you do stupid things

  4. #54
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    France
    Posts
    8,832
    Quote Originally Posted by animaN View Post
    Good question!

    The answer's above you...
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

  5. #55
    great review
    www.HotOverclock.com Founder & Editor in Chief
    ---------------------
    Upgrading to X58 ...

    Q6600 G0 @ 3.8GHz FSB 423MHz w/Swiftech H2O 120 Compact Dual 120mm fan Last OC Details Here
    abit IX38 QuadGT Rev1.0 (X38 Rev.01)
    4x1GB Patriot +SL PC2-6400 Based on Aeneon AET760UD00-25D Chips! @ 1:1 1000MHz 5-4-4-8 2.0v
    Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 A2 Normal Edition @ Core 820MHz Mem 2100MHz
    Display 19" LG FLATRON L1960TR LCD Contrast 3000:1 Response Time 2ms Lightning Fast!! w/f-Engine Chip and DFC Technology
    HDD 250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250820AS
    HDD 120GB Maxtor Max.10 6L120M0

    PSU Zalman ZM1000-HP 1000 Watt Six 12v Rail and Dual Seperate Board
    A4Tech X7 Gaming Mouse X-750BF Dual Laser Engin w/2500DPI
    More about my Memory : it can do 950MHz 4-4-4-8 2.0v Stable and 1100MHz 5-7-7-12 2.2v Stable and 1200MHz 6-8-8-21 2.3v not Stable!

  6. #56
    World Champion - IRONMODS
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northern Japan
    Posts
    1,999
    Quote Originally Posted by jmke View Post
    balance has been tipping strongly in favor of low noise
    Um...are you lost...
    SPCR.com is over here

    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

    MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

  7. #57
    color red illidan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,486
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    The answer's above you...
    ok for .5 but +5 C ifx-14 against true, strange those two where always 1-2 C

  8. #58
    Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Romania, lab501.ro
    Posts
    1,710
    Real test conditions lead to real results. Of course, on a stock E8400 or smth like that, the difference between the 2 can be even lower then 2 oC
    Weissbier - breakfast of champions



  9. #59
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    France
    Posts
    8,832
    Quote Originally Posted by illidan View Post
    ok for .5 but +5 C ifx-14 against true, strange those two where always 1-2 C
    Might have something to do with fan placement on IFX-14 I guess. It's a pretty odd cooler.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

  10. #60
    Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Romania, lab501.ro
    Posts
    1,710
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Might have something to do with fan placement on IFX-14 I guess. It's a pretty odd cooler.
    Oh, no, no, no. This test does indeed go deep. In this graph you can se how the IFX-14 scales with different fan positions



    Weissbier - breakfast of champions



  11. #61
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    France
    Posts
    8,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Monstru View Post
    Oh, no, no, no. This test does indeed go deep. In this graph you can se how the IFX-14 scales with different fan positions
    OK, ignore me, I'll admit I haven't read all of it, lol.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

  12. #62
    color red illidan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,486
    i've read it all
    that's why i said strange temps for ifx-14, those are pretty high temps when u compare it with true for example

    Quote Originally Posted by Monstru View Post
    Real test conditions lead to real results. Of course, on a stock E8400 or smth like that, the difference between the 2 can be even lower then 2 oC
    i know
    i have true black and yorkfield, and didn't even think about some dual core cpus

  13. #63
    Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Romania, lab501.ro
    Posts
    1,710
    Well, I see lots of people tested IFX 14 and had a good opinion about it. poparamiro tested 2 different pieces, to be sure that the one piece he is testing in particular is somehow deffective. Both had the same results. Ergo, IFX 14 is a poor performer compared to the top dogs.
    Weissbier - breakfast of champions



  14. #64
    color red illidan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,486
    ok

    thanks again for this awesome test

  15. #65
    Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Romania, lab501.ro
    Posts
    1,710
    Please believe that Jon, please. Do not believe a test like this one, and believe that one. And buy the IFX-14, it is the grandfather of all heatsinks. And then do some serious i7 OC-ing on air =))


    BTW - page 48 and page 49 contain details about the testing of 2 IFX-14 samples to see if there are differences between them. You can see how they both do (and you can also see the new drop-down menus, so the article is easier to navigate)
    Last edited by Monstru; 10-07-2009 at 01:18 PM.
    Weissbier - breakfast of champions



  16. #66
    Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Romania, lab501.ro
    Posts
    1,710
    I do not like to comment other tests, so I will not say anything more about that. But, regarding IFX-14 beeing the best low-noise out there, that is definately a joke. When you have a Z600, Ninja 2 and Megahalems, there can be no other
    Weissbier - breakfast of champions



  17. #67
    Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Romania, lab501.ro
    Posts
    1,710
    Please do not continue this argument. I really do not want to be mean, and I really do not want to get into an argument about this. IFX-14 is a failure because of it's design, and I REALLY do not cope with any review or review-er that shows me different. Maybe that is how those coolers perform on an Intel Pentium 524, but for the rest of us who want to cool a CPU that has not been around since the days Abe Lincoln was alive, IFX just doesn't have enough juice. You have your opinion, we have ours, you have your test, we have ours, let's just leave it like that
    Last edited by Monstru; 10-08-2009 at 10:03 AM.
    Weissbier - breakfast of champions



  18. #68
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    bakersfield ca
    Posts
    898
    Quote Originally Posted by Monstru View Post
    Please do not continue this argument. I really do not want to be mean, and I really do not want to get into an argument about this. IFX-14 is a failure because of it's design, and I REALLY do not cope with any review or review-er that shows me different. Maybe that is how those coolers perform on an Intel Pentium 524, but for the rest of us who want to cool a CPU that has not been around since the days Abe Lincoln was alive, IFX just doesn't have enough juice. You have your opinion, we have ours, you have your test, we have ours, let's just leave it like that
    Hey Really great article and an awesome amount of work you have accomplished.

    Would you say the ifx14 has a problem from overloaded heatpipes?

  19. #69
    color red illidan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,486
    Quote Originally Posted by jmke View Post
    Z600 and Ninja 2 and Megahalems don't stand a chance against the pure MASS off the IFX-14;
    I only base my posts on facts



    Megahalems is a tightly packed fin HSF, needs airflow to excel. decrease airflow and performance drops. Z600 and Ninja 2 have less fins with more space between them, allow for better performance at lower CFM. The Orochi has the MASS and fins, but disappoints if you can't align it exactly right in your case.
    IFX-14 has MASS and good setup for low noise; add the IFX-10 and you'll gain a few degrees; don't even need active cooling on the IFX-10 or IFX-14 if you have C2D system!

    Passive cooling: IFX-14 has 20°C lead on Z600/Ninja 2... nuff said. That difference will only increase with higher TDP CPU.
    are those idle temps?
    what to do with idle temps?

    100% load is what matters

  20. #70
    Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Romania, lab501.ro
    Posts
    1,710
    Quote Originally Posted by brandinb View Post
    Hey Really great article and an awesome amount of work you have accomplished.

    Would you say the ifx14 has a problem from overloaded heatpipes?
    Thank you, but my coleague Poparamiro wrote the article. He can explain better what he found in his tests. From my point of view, the IFX-14 is too big with too little mass. You just have to take it in your hand after you hold a Z600 or TRUE or Megahalems, and you will know what I mean. Also, air-flow is really not that good with this design, and has never been.
    Weissbier - breakfast of champions



  21. #71
    Xtreme Cruncher
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Monstru View Post
    and I REALLY do not cope with any review or review-er that shows me different.

    you got your stevie wonders on in regards to the ifx? either that or your post is a massive case of 'toys out the pram'


    My Free-DC Stats
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet

  22. #72
    Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Romania, lab501.ro
    Posts
    1,710
    You work for Xbit or smth? I know what I have tested, I know what my coleague that wrote this article has tested. I know what my other coleague (matose) that will publish a similar round-up (but on LGA 1366) tested. Not on only one sample, not old CPU's, not small load where all heatsinks are the same. 3 different persons, 2 different samples, n different conditions, and IFX still performs poor. Now should I take it that the air in Romania is to blame, or that heatsink is just overated? What would you think if you would be in my shoes?
    Weissbier - breakfast of champions



  23. #73
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    157
    First of all guys, thank you for any critics, observations and appreciations, i put a lot of passion and "soul" in this test but of course it is far from perfect.

    All the coolers have remounted, retested, if necessary lapped, modded for the best performance.

    Regards the IFX:

    The arhitecture of IFX-14 is not good for top performance nor for the best fannless comportament. Very thin fins and of course very little distance between them is not a good fanless construction, to point few arhitecture problems. The fact that hot air is ventilated from one side to the other in case of dual or trifan configuration is another deficience. I try to bypass this problem and i do this (both fans are blowing in) but the results did not get better.

    About his weight: compare the Ifx with Z600 an you will understand what i mean. A good cooler have thick fins, it is essential for a good capacity of thermal absorbtion.

    Just do this: take a True and the Ifx, modd them (retention and lapping) and put them on a high tdp configuration (not dual core, not P4), quad or i7 with ~1.5 or more volts. Do a prime 95 or a linx session on a 3000 or more rpm and see the results.

    I test the ifx with every configuration possible, i even test two different Ifx's to be soure that is no problems or defects involved.

    On low rpm thoug is performs better, the gap between True and him is getting small.

    At the end please bear in mind that my coolers are modded, (if there was problems) so you can't compare results with the same coolers but stock.
    I try to do the test the best that i can and i like all of them because 90% of the coolers are my personal property, bought from my own pocket.

    Thank you again and all the best
    With respect
    Ramiro
    Last edited by poparamiro; 10-08-2009 at 02:33 PM.

  24. #74
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by poparamiro View Post
    The arhitecture of IFX-14 is not good for top performance nor for the best fannless comportament.
    Somebody forgot to tell that to Xbitlabs, because they continue to show some incredible performance with that cooler:


    (10/01/2009 @ here)


    As for the way the IFX-14 is designed, Noctua found something they liked in it, because the upcoming NH-D14 is very similar to the IFX-14 with its twin towers.


    (Noctua NH-D14)
    Last edited by RSC; 10-09-2009 at 12:55 AM.

  25. #75
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    157
    @ jmke - if True is not modded and IFX is fully modded the True is still better (at high tdp and high air flow). On the article i specified gains for each cooler so comparrisons can be made.

    @ RSC - i will make an article with the best coolers that have ifx arhitecture, Asus Triton 88, Noctua NH-D14, IFX-14 and i hope Thermalright Arrow. Noctua and Asus must arrives soon. My opinion that this arhitecture is not good for top performance will be confirmed or not in this test. The test will contain extensive and detalied tests (including lapping moddind and eficiency tests).

    They will be compared wiht top performance coolers and after the test i can draw better conclusions.

    As for the IFX issue things are simple: i test and retest IFX and TRUE many times (in all the ways possible, even different exemplares) and no way IFX is the best cooler (as the Xbitlabs present things). Any of you can do a versus between the two and post results. Nobody knows everything and all tests are welcome
    Last edited by poparamiro; 10-09-2009 at 02:32 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •