Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hack gets PhysX and Radeon working again

Xtreme Addict

Hack gets PhysX and Radeon working again

With the latest Nvidia drivers, users with both ATI (primary) and Nvidia graphic cards were unable to turn on PhysX. But as the author of this mod said: "You cant stop the community, Nvidia." With this mod/patch, you will be able to turn on PhysX again. And yes, installation is just about three steps!
    source;http://vr-zone.com/forums/491380/tur...ds--again.html

source of patch;http://translate.google.com/translat...istory_state0=

EDIT: here's the patch for 64bit win 7/vista wouldn't get the 32bit http://rapidshare.com/files/28877554...-1.01.rar.html

from the read me
    NVIDIA GeForce driver 19x.xx PhysX mod [x86/x64] v1.01
    by Liandri / THETA

* DESCRIPTION:
    This mod will enable hardware PhysX support for NVIDIA GPU, when non-NVIDIA GPU
    is used as a primary display device.
    - intended only for WDDM 1.1 OS (Windows 7).
    - only for multi-vendor multi-GPU configurations.

* INSTALLATION:
    1. Install the needed GeForce driver package. Do not reboot when asked.
    2. Use the mod (x86/x64) to patch all needed driver files.
    3. Reboot.

* NOTES:
    1. If you are unable to patch the files due to "file in use" error, you may try one of the following solutions:
    - Terminate all NVIDIA runtimes (nv***.exe) and Windows Explorer shell (explorer.exe) manually before patching.
    - Try using the mod under Safe Mode.
    2. It is safe to apply the patch several times - the needed files will be patched only once.
    3. After reboot you may find "*.tmp" files in system directories left after patching. You can safely delete or leave them.

* Thanks to beta testers:
    ghost_zero5, Pat, Skyfallkavu, Decebal, darthcyclonis, Kinnyo

* Do not let proprietary closed standards choose a hardware for you! When they die, the hardware will be useless.
    vendetta anyone?

Hakorz fTw1!
    Last edited by Monkeywoman; 10-04-2009 at 04:49 PM.
    Case-Coolermaster Cosmos S
    MoBo- ASUS Crosshair IV
    Graphics Card-XFX R9 280X [out for RMA] using HD5870
    Hard Drive-Kingston 240Gig V300 master Seagate 160Gb slave Seagate 250Gb slave Seagate 500Gb slave Western Digital 500Gb
    CPU-AMD FX-8320 5Ghz
    RAM 8Gig Corshair c8
    Logitech 5.1 Z5500 BOOST22
    300Gb of MUSICA!!

Steam ID: alphamonkeywoman
    http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/933ab/

Xtreme Member
    That is awesome, hacks like this are why I love this community.
    CPU: Intel 2500k (4.8ghz)
    Mobo: Asus P8P67 PRO
    GPU: HIS 6950 flashed to Asus 6970 (1000/1400) under water
    Sound: Corsair SP2500 with X-Fi
    Storage: Intel X-25M g2 160GB + 1x1TB f1
    Case: Sivlerstone Raven RV02
    PSU: Corsair HX850
    Cooling: Custom loop: EK Supreme HF, EK 6970
    Screens: BenQ XL2410T 120hz

Help for Heroes

Xtreme Member
    Someone try it... I'm kinda nervous.

I didn't feel like doing it for the other ways of extending your monitor and crap into *tricking* the whole system. But I want to know if the steps are actually THAT simple.

Xtremely Kool
    As you may or may not know, Windows 7 allows two display drivers to be used at once - like in Windows XP. Therefore, it is possible to use an Nvidia card for PhysX and ATI card for graphics rendering. Sadly, since the release of 186 graphics drivers, Nvidia has decided to block this feature anytime a Non-Nvidia GPU is present in the system (Even IGPs). In addition, for some incomprehensible reasons, the latest version of PhysX System Software also prevents PPU cards (such as BFG PPU) from working if a Non-Nvidia GPU is present. The following is Nvidia's explanation behind their actions:

"Physx is an open software standard any company can freely develop hardware or software that supports it. Nvidia supports GPU accelerated Physx on NVIDIA GPUs while using NVIDIA GPUs for graphics. NVIDIA performs extensive Engineering, Development, and QA work that makes Physx a great experience for customers. For a variety of reasons - some development expense some quality assurance and some business reasons NVIDIA will not support GPU accelerated Physx with NVIDIA GPUs while GPU rendering is happening on non- NVIDIA GPUs. I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused but I hope you can understand."

As expected, this move by Nvidia generated a lot of criticism from both consumers and even Nvidia's competitors. Luckily, a forum member by the name of GenL has released an experimental beta patch which intercepts disable-PhysX-if-Radeon-is-present-code. So far, according to user comments the patch delivers successful results. At this stage, the patch only works for PhysX GPU rendering and not PPU rendering. However, the developer claims that work is still in progress.
    http://www.ngohq.com/news/16560-patc...s-present.html

The translated link is not working for me . . . I 'll try some time l8r

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It's a dumb move by nvidia on so many levels. This just lessens the uptake of physx. I was going to pair my old nvidia card with a new radeon... but now I cannot (unless I use the patch). It's just a dumb move by nvidia.

Xtreme Member
    Make a hack that gets my 4850 by itself to do physx
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbylite View Post
    with great MHZ comes great responsibility
    CPU:Q6600 G0 @ 3.825
    Motherboard:Asus P5E X38
    Memory:2x2GB OCZ Reapers DDR2 1066
    Graphics Card:Asus 4850
    Hard Drive:2xSegate 500gb 32MB Cache raid0
    Power Supply:Xion 800W
    Case:3DAurora
    CPU cooling: D-tek Fuzion V2 (Quad insert removed)
    GPU cooling: mcw60
    Monitor:24" LG

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Wait, PPUs don't work with ATI cards either now? Is Nvidia hoping for a class action or something?

Quote Originally Posted by drizzt5 View Post
    Make a hack that gets my 4850 by itself to do physx
    Nobody mess with these when 5xxxx series is snipping around.

I am Xtreme
    Good job folks!
    Hope these will work no matter what Nvidia does.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Paneas View Post
    Just because the next series is out doesn't mean you just forget about the last series if that is what you mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbylite View Post
    with great MHZ comes great responsibility
    CPU:Q6600 G0 @ 3.825
    Motherboard:Asus P5E X38
    Memory:2x2GB OCZ Reapers DDR2 1066
    Graphics Card:Asus 4850
    Hard Drive:2xSegate 500gb 32MB Cache raid0
    Power Supply:Xion 800W
    Case:3DAurora
    CPU cooling: D-tek Fuzion V2 (Quad insert removed)
    GPU cooling: mcw60
    Monitor:24" LG

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Paneas View Post
    Considering the 5xxx series is just the 4xxx series with everything but clockspeed and memory bandwidth doubled and DX11 support, if they get it working on the 5 series the 4 series will work practically automatically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon2ky
    "dammit kyle what's with the 30 second sex lately?" "Sorry sweetie, I overclocked my nuts and they haven't been stable since"
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    I don't think his backside has internet access.
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts
    And your face looks tasty

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Sweet.
    --Intel i5 3570k 4.4ghz (stock volts) - Corsair H100 - 6970 UL XFX 2GB - - Asrock Z77 Professional - 16GB Gskill 1866mhz - 2x90GB Agility 3 - WD640GB - 2xWD320GB - 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 - Audigy-- --NZXT Phantom - Samsung SATA DVD--(old systems Intel E8400 Wolfdale/Asus P45, AMD965BEC3 790X, Antec 180, Sapphire 4870 X2 (dead twice))

Xtreme Addict
    Was _not_ working with my 5870. It would only work if I kept my primary display plugged into the 8500GT.,
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinas View Post
    Was _not_ working with my 5870. It would only work if I kept my primary display plugged into the 8500GT.,
    I remember I had a problem like that back in XP with my 8800GTS and my 4870. If someone could help with this issue so that it can be used as just an add-in card, that'd be awesome. I'd go and buy a 9800GT (sold my 8800GTS) just for this if I knew it'd work.
    Intel i7-2700k@ 4.7ghz (46x102)
    Asus P8Z68 Deluxe GEN3
    G.Skill 2x4gb RipjawX 2133 11-11-11-30
    GTX 680 1220/7000
    Corsair TX750W
    Razer Lachesis w/ Razer Pro|Pad
    1x160gb Seagate HDD, 2x1tb Seagate HDD
    LG 22" 226WTQ & BenQ G2400WD
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

While Open Physics is going to be launched nVIDIA PhysX platform is going to be a damned. These so called hacks are very usefull for Radeon GPUs nowdays, although, I might add that I 'm afraid of their legacy support ( yes I'm reffering to 4xxx series). I hope I am wrong for 48xx owners (like me).

As Vinas said, the primary card should be nVIDIA right ?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Somebody writing a wrapper to turn CUDA instructions to OpenCL would be really nice, as that would open the doors for Physx on ATI cards or even on a CPU since AMD also released the x86 SDK for OpenCL

The need to do that to achieve the later is pathetic since Physx should work on it's own thread on a multithreaded CPU without reducing the game's performance...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
    Wait, PPUs don't work with ATI cards either now? Is Nvidia hoping for a class action or something?
    Nope they do not and it's completely BS. I was planning on using my old Ageia card to handle PhysX with my HD5870's and there is no such luck. What a crock of S#!T that it won't work now. I'd really like someone to figure out a hack to get my Ageia PPU working again. Currently I'm having to install the stock set of drivers that came with the Ageia card to get it to work at all. But it stutters like all h3ll in Batman.....
    Core i7 3770K
    EVGA GTX780 + Surround
    EVGA GTX670
    EVGA Z77 FTW
    8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill 1600Mhz DDR3
    Ultra X3 1000w PSU PSU
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Thermaltake Xaser VI

Xtreme Member
    Ageia PPU is too weak to run latest game physx anyway. There was a page somewhere that showed nvidia with aegie ppu vs other cards and the ppu was on the bottom. 9600 GSO or higher is recommended.
    MSI P67 GD65 B3
    2500k 4.8
    GTX480 835/1650/2000
    8gb ram
    Win7

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywoman View Post
    Hakorz fTw1!

Xtreme Member
    "You cant stop the community, Nvidia."
    Damn right.

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    "Physx is an open software standard any company can freely develop hardware or software that supports it. Nvidia supports GPU accelerated Physx on NVIDIA GPUs while using NVIDIA GPUs for graphics. NVIDIA performs extensive Engineering, Development, and QA work that makes Physx a great experience for customers. For a variety of reasons - some development expense some quality assurance and some business reasons NVIDIA will not support GPU accelerated Physx with NVIDIA GPUs while GPU rendering is happening on non- NVIDIA GPUs. I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused but I hope you can understand."
    oh, well if you put it that way, of course i understand.
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

Xtreme Member
    Can't stop the signal!

Core 2 Duo(Conroe) was based on the Intel Core Duo(Yonah) which was based on the Pentium M(Banias) which was based on the Pentium III(Coppermine).

Core 2 Duo is a Pentium III on meth.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by nsegative View Post
    Ageia PPU is too weak to run latest game physx anyway. There was a page somewhere that showed nvidia with aegie ppu vs other cards and the ppu was on the bottom. 9600 GSO or higher is recommended.
    The PPU is fine for playing games and it playes the latest games with no problems. How do I know? Because I tested it with my GTX280 and let the PPU handle PhysX and Batman runs fine with the PPU doing it. The ageia cards do not bench as well in synthetic benchmarks but for games they are still perfectly capable.

Its complete and utter BS that Nvidia is doing this. I paid for this PPU and it was working fine back when I had CFX HD4870's and was using it for PhysX. Then when I got my HD5870's I figured I could do the same thing and was wondering why I couldn't enable it in Win7 64 bit I figired it may be drivers or something gone wrong so I wiped Windows and tried again only to find that they pulled this s#!t. Pretty shady if you ask me that they would suddenly disable something that I bought and paid for before Nvidia stepped in the PhysX picture. I knew from the get go when Nvidia bought Ageia they would find a way to screw up PhysX and alienate it from people that would otherwise be interested in it.
    Core i7 3770K
    EVGA GTX780 + Surround
    EVGA GTX670
    EVGA Z77 FTW
    8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill 1600Mhz DDR3
    Ultra X3 1000w PSU PSU
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Thermaltake Xaser VI

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast