Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Review] Round 2 Overall Comparison Thread - Core i7 Waterblocks

Xtreme Guru
    I'm more interested in the HK 3.0 cooper vs LT, unmodded results. After GTZ vs GTZ SE review i would like to know if cooper tops tend to produce better results than POM ones...
    Project ZEUS II

Asus Rampage II Extreme
    Intel I7 920 D0 3930A @ 4.50GHz (21 X 214mhz)
    3 x 2GB G.Skill Trident 1600 @ 1716MHz (6-8-6-20-1N)
    2 x Asus HD 6870 CrossFire @ 1000/1100MHz
    OCZ Vertex 2 60GB | Intel X25-M 120GB | WD Velociraptor 150GB | Seagate FreeAgent XTreme 1.5TB esata
    Asus Xonar DX | Logitech Z-5500 | LG W2600HP 26" S-IPS LCD

Watercooling setup:
    1st loop -> Radiator: 2 x ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.25 with Alphacool HF 38 top | CPU: Swiftech Apogee XT | Chipset: Swiftech MCW-NBMAX | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV
    2nd loop -> Radiator: ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.2 with Alphacool HF 38 top | GPU: 2 x EK FC-6870 | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV

Assembled in Mountain Mods Ascension Trinity
    Powered by Corsair Professional Series Gold AX1200

Admin
    It beat the HK3.0LT by .03C

Xtreme Guru
    Insignificant difference. Thanks for sharing. Waiting for your review...
    Project ZEUS II

Asus Rampage II Extreme
    Intel I7 920 D0 3930A @ 4.50GHz (21 X 214mhz)
    3 x 2GB G.Skill Trident 1600 @ 1716MHz (6-8-6-20-1N)
    2 x Asus HD 6870 CrossFire @ 1000/1100MHz
    OCZ Vertex 2 60GB | Intel X25-M 120GB | WD Velociraptor 150GB | Seagate FreeAgent XTreme 1.5TB esata
    Asus Xonar DX | Logitech Z-5500 | LG W2600HP 26" S-IPS LCD

Watercooling setup:
    1st loop -> Radiator: 2 x ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.25 with Alphacool HF 38 top | CPU: Swiftech Apogee XT | Chipset: Swiftech MCW-NBMAX | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV
    2nd loop -> Radiator: ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.2 with Alphacool HF 38 top | GPU: 2 x EK FC-6870 | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV

Assembled in Mountain Mods Ascension Trinity
    Powered by Corsair Professional Series Gold AX1200

Never go full retard
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    It beat the HK3.0LT by .03C
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBar View Post
    Insignificant difference. Thanks for sharing. Waiting for your review...
    Yup, exactly what has been said numerous times.

Thanks for the testing Vapor!
    Looking at getting a new water block in a month or two and all this info will make it easier to pick one up!

Last edited by thaw; 11-08-2009 at 11:01 PM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    I played with some labeling like that, but in my initial implementation, it was too busy.

There were other flaws with that charting too....use of 2nd hand pressure drop data, no idea of the actual wattage of the CPU (I should try your calorimeter/bucket test when I get a chance), and a disambiguation of charted data to "real world" data. I try to include the written table with every (group of) instance(s) of the chart, but I agree I need something in the chart itself.
    I kind of already do that...in the full collection of results, I show what temperatures are for core vs. water (what's posted in the first post), core vs. air and for core vs. air (with 1/3rd the radiator ability of mine). Here's a screenshot from my skinneelabs write-up:

And yeah, this has taken a lot of work....I'm dreading the Fuzion V2 and the alphacools (their 3 main blocks use identical bases but some have purported quality issues, so I'm going to test all the bases on all the blocks, so it's really going to be 9 blocks in actuality).

And if you think my 4 pump setup is "Freaking NUTS" then Testbed 3.0 will probably blow your mind
    (my Dwyer RMC-144 maxes out at 7GPM, I don't feel like I'm getting money's worth right now )

Anyway, thanks for stopping by Martin, always great to see you around these parts
    Ahh...I see.

That reduced raidator capacity chart is perfect!

If most users are running a single radiator setup, that's probably the ideal bottom line chart.

That's really interesting. For anyone running a single triple radiator, the DDC with top (Medium High) is pretty much the optimal amount of pumping power across nearly all of the blocks.

I guess I'll leave my one spare DDC a spare in the parts box then..

Thanks for the work on this, I especially appreciate the extra level in vetting out the pumping power variable. I know it adds 5X the work to an already exhausting scope of work, but it answers alot of previously unknown and debated areas that I was always curious about myself.

Thanks!!

Xtreme Member
    Wow...the XT is very compelling.
    |MoBo| Microstar Int'l P55-GD65 Rev 1
    |CPU| Intel Core i5 750 4.0Ghz 1.26V
    |GPU| HSI HD 5850 1GB DDR5 1440sp
    |RAM| 4x2GB Dominator 1600 DDR3
    |PSU| PC P&C Silencer 610W 50A Rail
    |HSF| Megahalems- Idle: 32 Load: 58
    |BMs| '06: 24,223- Vantage: P17,373

I am Xtreme
    Great work Vapor ! big kuddos ! Getting great results too here on the XT on my single pump setup.
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Addict
    No go grab an EK Supreme and add it to the charts!

~Bex
    PROJECT :: The Xtreme (WET) Dream!!!

PERSONAL H2O BESTS :
    E8600 @ 4.8GHz
    E6750 @ 4GHz QX9650 @ 4.6GHz
    i7 920 @ 4.6GHz

PERSONAL AIR BESTS :
    Sempron140 @ 4Ghz (Stock Cooler)
    i7 3960x @ 5.4ghz (Air Cooler)

Bex : "Who said girls can't play PC games or overclock!? Do I look like your imagination!?"
    Aaron : "TBH, a girl doing all that is a pretty perfect girl!"
    Swift_Wraith : "could someone please check bex for a penis?"

Xtreme Addict
    Bex, Supreme HF!! Supreme with some mods is able to beat HT3.0 and Xt according to Vapor. Im curious about HF.. i might leaning for it
    Vishera 8320@ 5ghz | Gigabyte UD3 | 8gb TridentX 2400 c10| Powercolor 6850 | Thermalight Silver Arrow (bench Super KAZE 3k) | Samsung 830 128gbx2 Raid 0| Fractal case

Quote Originally Posted by bundymania View Post
    yep, i have the EK Supreme HF here and start testing it - it performs like the HK 3.0 Copper, only the Apogee XT is slightly better

do you have any test data/review on a new EK supreme HF vs Swiftech XT vs HK 3.0 Copper?

Xtreme Member

Quote Originally Posted by bundymania View Post
    pls wait a few days for the new chart...
    ok, I will wait!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scamps View Post
    google translate Please take note that a loop with better high flow components than awardfabrik.de might produce better results, I don't know this of course at this time- just mention it

Looking good... guess I have mine sometimes next week
    With 2xD5, Feser Monsta and BP's all the way I think I'm gonna give Supreme HF enough flow and pressure

And as far as I know EK have never had such quality issues as we see Swiftech have with the XT - buying a XT and not having quality issues seems to be a lottery. I sort of feel sorry for Swiftech nowadays - they are? my favourite wc producer - but I don't really know any more now....
    Last edited by Main; 01-08-2010 at 06:44 PM.
    Worklog - xtreeme Please comment and give me your input | Testware |

Muslim Overclocker
    Vapor, I have got a question: In your review the difference between the Sapphire A and the HK is a good 3-4°C. In HESmelaugh's review, difference is about 1°C.

Maybe you had a faulty unit or an engineering sample or something else? skewed the results. I am aware differences between mounts can vary, but I can't find flaws in either of your methodologies.

Help this noob understand! Thanks.

EDIT: One more thing.. In your full round up, I see this statement

Here is a pretty fun result...though neither block is great thermally, the Sapphire Rev.A is amazingly low restriction. I broke 4GPM with my pump setup, and over 2GPM with just my 'normal' setup. The Sapphire Rev.A is also the second most low-flow resilient block I've tested so far (behind only the Apogee XT)
    Your chart in the first post and indeed in that review do not indicate this. Is this a typo or just old data?
    Last edited by ahmad; 01-09-2010 at 12:31 AM.

My watercooling experience

Water
    Scythe Gentle Typhoons 120mm 1850RPM
    Thermochill PA120.3 Radiator
    Enzotech Sapphire Rev.A CPU Block
    Laing DDC 3.2
    XSPC Dual Pump Reservoir
    Primochill Pro LRT Red 1/2"
    Bitspower fittings + water temp sensor

Rig
    E8400 | 4GB HyperX PC8500 | Corsair HX620W | ATI HD4870 512MB

I see what I see, and you see what you see. I can't make you see what I see, but I can tell you what I see is not what you see. Truth is, we see what we want to see, and what we want to see is what those around us see. And what we don't see is... well, conspiracies.

Never go full retard
    Quote Originally Posted by scamps View Post

Not even close to the quality of testing done in the OP. How many mounts, how many sensors?

I am Xtreme
    One thing I don't graps in fact in the AF review, why do you loose warrranty if you open the block ? Why include different jet plates if you aren't allowed to change them ?

For the testing Skinnee, I'm talking about my own conducted tests at the shrimps : I prefer to test the blocks in a real life setup that I would use daily ( read one pump one rad setup), take into account that european loops differ a lot from the USA ones... far less flow, thinner tubing etc... you can remount 10 times and get 10 times slightly different results... some take the average output, some take the best score... to each tester his own method... but yours and vapor's work is amasing, very very thorough... but I really don't have time to test it all as other hardware piles up otherwise on my doorstep...

Never go full retard
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
    One thing I don't graps in fact in the AF review, why do you loose warrranty if you open the block ? Why include different jet plates if you aren't allowed to change them ?
    That stood out to me as well... Eddy can you clarify if openning the block voids warranty?

For the testing Skinnee, I'm talking about my own conducted tests at the shrimps : I prefer to test the blocks in a real life setup that I would use daily ( read one pump one rad setup), take into account that european loops differ a lot from the USA ones... far less flow, thinner tubing etc... you can remount 10 times and get 10 times slightly different results... some take the average output, some take the best score... to each tester his own method... but yours and vapor's work is amasing, very very thorough... but I really don't have time to test it all as other hardware piles up otherwise on my doorstep...
    Agreed, and the variety of test methods gives us water heads a lot of information to look over. Scamps and I exchanged some PM's and it became clear my post was not up to its usual standards (Can I blame lack of sleep due to CES? ).

My intent was only to have people look over the testing methodology and procedures and take that into account when reading different reviews. I know that is asking a lot due to various levels of understanding and knowledge amongst members of the community. Leegfhold, your testing is solid and the results between the our benches/test setups have always fallen in line in the past. There has been data released by other high profile sites previously that myself and some other testers have not been able to replicate no matter how hard we try. When we run into those situations, it ends up taking more time trying to explain why results conflict than the actual testing and write up... and most of the time, we'll never know exactly why. However, that still doesn't change the fact that we have conflicting results.

I completely agree on the time issue, and that is where my post originated. The testing and work involved never slows down or becomes less, and time away from the bench to deal with conflicting results is something we just shouldn't have to deal with since we (I include you in "we" Leeghoofd) hold our testing to such a high standard.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    That stood out to me as well... Eddy can you clarify if openning the block voids warranty?

Um,

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&postcount=147
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    (Can I blame lack of sleep due to CES? ).
    Only 1 night was my fault

But you know it was well worth staying up with me.

Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

I am Xtreme
    Thx waterlogged, that's one more thing that's cleared up

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast