Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Review] Round 2 Overall Comparison Thread - Core i7 Waterblocks

Okay folks ... a request that we stay on topic about block performance, and testing methodologies.

No need for this to get into an argument about forums, or who adopted what block first.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by CedricFP View Post
    Waiting on Vapour's Apogee XT review
    Yeah, I was hoping to see what Vapor or others got before I took off to Hawaii for rest of this month...but have to wait and see it when I get back...I need to get out in real world anyways, wife is giving me the look to get off computer and finish packing.

I know they are going to be very close, I have 8 mounts of XT now, most interesting thing I saw was the ratio differences between core temps with different blocks. I have way over 30 mounts with heatkiller, playing with different tims/mounting pressures, etc, and all my core temps are in ratio of, core 0 and 2 ~ same, core 1 is 1-2C higher, core 3 is 3c lower

Now with swiftech XT block it is core 0, 1, 3 all ~ same, and core 2 is 3-4C higher, and always the same ratio through all 8 mounts of it. I have no more time to play with it, or wife will kill me, need to be getting ready....I assume that is one block bowed more than other? but some interface difference... It is not mounting pressure, I tried varying pressure on HK have gone 1/2 turn all way down to end. Interested to see if others see any change between cores.

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    Okay folks ... a request that we stay on topic about block performance, and testing methodologies.

No need for this to get into an argument about forums, or who adopted what block first.
    Thanks Shazza

Apogee XT review is delayed due to the Gigabyte compatibility issue (I use a Gigabyte board). Fortunately the problem was rectified quickly by Swiftech and I have a new base here already and testing is underway

Wpprriimmee crrraaazzzyyy
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    Thanks Shazza
    Apogee XT review is delayed due to the Gigabyte compatibility issue (I use a Gigabyte board). Fortunately the problem was rectified quickly by Swiftech and I have a new base here already and testing is underway
    I've got to give it to Swiftech, their customer support is the best!
    Got a GTZ block a week ago and one of the mounting screws was too small for the threads. They got right on it and sent me a new backplate and thumbscrew after I contacted them!
    Heatware

Custom SS unit by Gray Mole, Sdumper Cascade, K|ngp|n F1 Gemnni, TEK9 Fatboy, TEK9 Slim, NB-1, H2O stuff...
    Celeron 347, Celeron 356, Celeron 420, 2x P4 631, P4 670, P4 640, P4 651, P4 524, PD 915, P4 540J, 2x P4 530J, P4 520J Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB DDR2-8500 2x Asus REX X48, Gigabyte EP45-UD3P rev 1.0, Asus Commando P965,
    Stuff I used to have:
    Asus RIIIE X58, Evga Classified P55, Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR, i5 670, E8600, Q9650, Q9550, , 3x2GB Mushkin Redline 2000C8,, G.Skill 2x2GB PC9600(Silver), Evga Evbot
    XFX 4770 modded, XFX 7950GT, XFX 6600GT, Evga 8600GTS 512MB, 3850 OC, 4x 3870s, and X600

"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." - James Stewart

Xtreme Member
    Thanks Shazza

Could you please post a pic of "old" and "new" base plate?

Admin
    Swiftech's renders:

Xtreme Member
    Thank you! I´ve got a GB (X58 Extreme), too

... and already had same problem with the Heatkiller (where I had to grind the edges)
    Last edited by scamps; 10-15-2009 at 02:09 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks Shazza

Will you have any results this weekend? Just changed my order from a HK 3.0 to a Swiftech XT so eagerly waiting to see the results

Thanks btw for all your testing Vapor

Admin
    Apogee XT review is live! Working on the forum version now

Results are already updated in this thread, and somehow the Sapphire Rev.A results snuck in there too

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thx Vapor for you amazing work as always!

Xtreme Addict
    Thats one restrictive block :o makes you wonder if the HK will beat it with a lower pressure pumps? Like the EK or XSPC res pumps.
    Desktop I5-3570k, 8GB Ram, GTX 560, Silverstone TJ08-E, Crucial M4 128GB, 750W Silver Power, ASUS P8Z77-M
    Laptop ThinkPad W520 2720QM /2 x 4 GB ram / Quadro 1000M / Crucial M4 128GB + 500Gb Hdd / FHD Screen / Intel WiFi Link 6300 AGN WLAN / 9 Cell Battery
    Laptop 2 New Macbook Pro Retina / i7 QuadCore / 650 GT / 16GB Ram / 512 GB SSD
    Server: Athlon II X4 640, ASROCK K10N78, 8GB Ram, LSI MegaRaid 8 port, 64GB Vertex 1, 5 x 1 TB WD Raid6, 3 x 3TB Seagate Raid5

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mech0z View Post
    Thats one restrictive block :o makes you wonder if the HK will beat it with a lower pressure pumps? Like the EK or XSPC res pumps.
    The XT actually pulls away at low pumping power...quite a bit too. It's the most resilient block I've tested so far to reduced pumping power (the Sapphire Rev.A is the 2nd most resilient).

Look at the left end of this chart:

• Very High Pumping Power: All three MCP355 pumps and the D5 are on at full speed--this has a very similar PQ curve to a pair of RD-30s at 20V.
    • High Pumping Power: Two MCP355s with EK V2 tops are on at full speed. The other two pumps are off.
    • Medium High Pumping Power: A single MCP355 with XSPC V3 top is on at full speed. The other three pumps are off.
    • Medium Pumping Power: The stock D5 is on at full speed and setting 5. The other three pumps are off.
    • Low Pumping Power: A single MCP355 with XSPC V3 top is on at minimum speed (~7.7V, ~2450RPM). The other three pumps are off.
    • Very Low Pumping Power: The stock D5 is on at minimum speed--setting 1. The other three pumps are off.

I am Xtreme
    The XT actually pulls away at low pumping power...quite a bit too. It's the most resilient block I've tested so far to reduced pumping power (the Sapphire Rev.A is the 2nd most resilient).

• Very High Pumping Power: All three MCP355 pumps and the D5 are on at full speed--this has a very similar PQ curve to a pair of RD-30s at 20V.
    • High Pumping Power: Two MCP355s with EK V2 tops are on at full speed. The other two pumps are off.
    • Medium High Pumping Power: A single MCP355 with XSPC V3 top is on at full speed. The other three pumps are off.
    • Medium Pumping Power: The stock D5 is on at full speed and setting 5. The other three pumps are off.
    • Low Pumping Power: A single MCP355 with XSPC V3 top is on at minimum speed (~7.7V, ~2450RPM). The other three pumps are off.
    • Very Low Pumping Power: The stock D5 is on at minimum speed--setting 1. The other three pumps are off.
    dude Medium is what most of us have for high speed, thats nuts. i run mine at setting 3-4 to lower power consumption and deal with the extra .5C gains

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by p0Pe View Post
    do you have results from the full copper version of the heatkiller also? or did i miss it

the XT is a sexy block IMO. glad to see it performing so well compared to the LC version of the heatkiller. from what i´ve seen other places it doesnt beat the full copper version though:/ but 1c difference isnt anything i would choose a block for lol
    Copper top tests are in the planning stages for the HK and the Supreme. Nothing final yet, but after seeing the metal top help the GTZ, I figure it's worth a few hours of my time and the extra cost to pick up those parts to see if there's any gain for those two blocks

The XT is unequivocally better than the HK3.0 LT (the HK3.0 LC isn't in the same league...different price points and a couple of degrees worse [+ the secondary deficiencies of the HKs]) and I'm guessing it will be for the HK3.0 Cu as well. But that's just a guess at this point
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    dude Medium is what most of us have for high speed, thats nuts. i run mine at setting 3-4 to lower power consumption and deal with the extra .5C gains
    A D5 at 3 is really more like my "low" setting actually

Maybe I have misnamed my pumping power settings...all I know is that at the last second before posting my first installment of this roundup, I renamed "Insane" to "Very High." All things considered, maybe I should have slid the names up one notch

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by p0Pe View Post
    1c difference isnt anything i would choose a block for lol
    I would. I could care less how it looks. Ascetics comes in a far second to performance.

Admin
    All updated!

Trimmed this thread's results down a bit and am working on advanced overall comparison that will include the results of all the modded versions of the blocks (have more coming up). Also included will be best mount comparisons, mounting repeatability analysis, and a mathematical look at flow and pump dependence.

It might be a little overwhelming

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Awesome!

I really like the pump power chart, that puts everything on the level in a meaningful way general users should understand. Not sure you can or want do this, but maybe even a simple additional shorthand descriptor under the pumping levels like this might curb some misunderstandings of pumping power(one persons high is another's low, etc.):

Very Low
    (D5 Set.1)

Low
    (DDC3.2+Top@7.7V)

Medium
    (D5 Set.5)

Medium High
    (DDC3.2+Top)

High
    (2xDDC3.2+Top)

Freaking NUTS!
    (3xDDC3.2+Top+D5 Set.5)

You might also make a note about your stronger than typical radiator/fan setup so people with a unlimited budgets don't forget about heat dump and start mixing the NUTS! level pumping powers with less than compensating radiators setups.

Glad to see they are still making small but incremental advancing improvements. Thanks for all the insane amount of work I'm sure this took

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    Awesome!

I really like the pump power chart, that puts everything on the level in a meaningful way general users should understand. Not sure you can or want do this, but maybe even a simple additional shorthand descriptor under the pumping levels like this might curb some misunderstandings of pumping power(one persons high is another's low, etc.):

Very Low
    (D5 Set.1)

Low
    (DDC3.2+Top@7.7V)

Medium
    (D5 Set.5)

Medium High
    (DDC3.2+Top)

High
    (2xDDC3.2+Top)

Freaking NUTS!
    (3xDDC3.2+Top+D5 Set.5)
    I played with some labeling like that, but in my initial implementation, it was too busy.

There were other flaws with that charting too....use of 2nd hand pressure drop data, no idea of the actual wattage of the CPU (I should try your calorimeter/bucket test when I get a chance), and a disambiguation of charted data to "real world" data. I try to include the written table with every (group of) instance(s) of the chart, but I agree I need something in the chart itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210
    You might also make a note about your stronger than typical radiator/fan setup so people with a unlimited budgets don't forget about heat dump and start mixing the NUTS! level pumping powers with less than compensating radiators setups.

Glad to see they are still making small but incremental advancing improvements. Thanks for all the insane amount of work I'm sure this took
    I kind of already do that...in the full collection of results, I show what temperatures are for core vs. water (what's posted in the first post), core vs. air and for core vs. air (with 1/3rd the radiator ability of mine). Here's a screenshot from my skinneelabs write-up:

And yeah, this has taken a lot of work....I'm dreading the Fuzion V2 and the alphacools (their 3 main blocks use identical bases but some have purported quality issues, so I'm going to test all the bases on all the blocks, so it's really going to be 9 blocks in actuality).

And if you think my 4 pump setup is "Freaking NUTS" then Testbed 3.0 will probably blow your mind
    (my Dwyer RMC-144 maxes out at 7GPM, I don't feel like I'm getting money's worth right now )

Anyway, thanks for stopping by Martin, always great to see you around these parts

Xtreme Addict
    Wow, Vapor! You do a great job! Swiftech XT looks like the best WB on market

Intel Q9650 @500x9MHz/1,3V
    Asus Maximus II Formula @Performance Level=7
    OCZ OCZ2B1200LV4GK 4x2GB @1200MHz/5-5-5-15/1,8V
    OCZ SSD Vertex 3 120Gb
    Seagate RAID0 2x ST1000DM003
    XFX HD7970 3GB @1111MHz
    Thermaltake Xaser VI BWS
    Seasonic Platinum SS-1000XP
    M-Audio Audiophile 192
    LG W2486L
    Liquid Cooling System :
    ThermoChill PA120.3 + Coolgate 4x120
    Swiftech Apogee XT, Swiftech MCW-NBMAX Northbridge
    Watercool HeatKiller GPU-X3 79X0 Ni-Bl + HeatKiller GPU Backplate 79X0
    Laing 12V DDC-1Plus with XSPC Laing DDC Reservoir Top
    3x Scythe S-FLEX "F", 4x Scythe Gentle Typhoon "15", Scythe Kaze Master Ace 5,25''

Apple MacBook Pro 17` Early 2011:
    CPU: Sandy Bridge Intel Core i7 2720QM
    RAM: Crucial 2x4GB DDR3 1333
    SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD
    HDD: ADATA Nobility NH13 1GB White

Xtreme Addict
    VAPOR, can u get this one?
    Never heard about it/
    Last edited by WaterFlex; 11-06-2009 at 11:47 PM.

Intel Q9650 @500x9MHz/1,3V
    Asus Maximus II Formula @Performance Level=7
    OCZ OCZ2B1200LV4GK 4x2GB @1200MHz/5-5-5-15/1,8V
    OCZ SSD Vertex 3 120Gb
    Seagate RAID0 2x ST1000DM003
    XFX HD7970 3GB @1111MHz
    Thermaltake Xaser VI BWS
    Seasonic Platinum SS-1000XP
    M-Audio Audiophile 192
    LG W2486L
    Liquid Cooling System :
    ThermoChill PA120.3 + Coolgate 4x120
    Swiftech Apogee XT, Swiftech MCW-NBMAX Northbridge
    Watercool HeatKiller GPU-X3 79X0 Ni-Bl + HeatKiller GPU Backplate 79X0
    Laing 12V DDC-1Plus with XSPC Laing DDC Reservoir Top
    3x Scythe S-FLEX "F", 4x Scythe Gentle Typhoon "15", Scythe Kaze Master Ace 5,25''

Apple MacBook Pro 17` Early 2011:
    CPU: Sandy Bridge Intel Core i7 2720QM
    RAM: Crucial 2x4GB DDR3 1333
    SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD
    HDD: ADATA Nobility NH13 1GB White

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterFlex View Post
    VAPOR, can u get this one?
    Never heard about it/
    Performs identically to this one: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/heatkillerlt775.html

Finished my HK3.0 + Copper top testing two nights ago and I can say that with absolute certainty. Write-up will be done in the next week or so, have to get testing done on a couple other blocks in that bunch, "Heatkiller and EK Supreme Revisted: Metal Tops and Modifying the EK Supreme"

Xtreme Guru
    ^^

I sense better results than HK 3.0 LT...
    Project ZEUS II

Asus Rampage II Extreme
    Intel I7 920 D0 3930A @ 4.50GHz (21 X 214mhz)
    3 x 2GB G.Skill Trident 1600 @ 1716MHz (6-8-6-20-1N)
    2 x Asus HD 6870 CrossFire @ 1000/1100MHz
    OCZ Vertex 2 60GB | Intel X25-M 120GB | WD Velociraptor 150GB | Seagate FreeAgent XTreme 1.5TB esata
    Asus Xonar DX | Logitech Z-5500 | LG W2600HP 26" S-IPS LCD

Watercooling setup:
    1st loop -> Radiator: 2 x ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.25 with Alphacool HF 38 top | CPU: Swiftech Apogee XT | Chipset: Swiftech MCW-NBMAX | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV
    2nd loop -> Radiator: ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.2 with Alphacool HF 38 top | GPU: 2 x EK FC-6870 | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV

Assembled in Mountain Mods Ascension Trinity