Thread: DVI output & max 60Hz refreshrate

Question DVI output & max 60Hz refreshrate

On DVI was possible only 60Hz. At least my old beta ones, 45.28, can't seems to show more that 60Hz on LCD monitor pluged into the old 5600XT cardie using DVI connection - while the same drivers did not have a problem with 100Hz refresh on CRT.

After some Windows install tweakings, I decided to "give it a try" and check out 53.03 WHQ drivers for the weird "60Hz only" problem. Much to my dismay, the "60Hz only" problem seems to persist.

Dunno why. Even in lower resolution the driver "force" 60Hz. Is there ANY way to lift this limit? Im affraid that if I use ReForce and force the refresh higher, then upon reboot I got BSOD "inacessible device"

Not that there is anything wrong with BSOD, yet I would rather see another result

Forceware (I still like the old Detonators better...) 81.95 WHQ - still 60Hz only:

I beginning to feel that the problem is "somewhere else". I checked the bios setting and yes, there it is - the DDC scanning was skiped on the boot, so it might do somehing bad. Changed it, but no difference... Maybe reinstall again?

Is there any way to check if the GFX card bios properly reporting the capability of more Hz or not? The problem was not when I used the same card with VGA output and CRT monitor, yet using DVI and LCD monitor I running into a 60Hz wall ...

Looks like Linux users find a way:
    http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linu...appendix-d.html
    "AllowNon60HzDFPModes": some lower quality TMDS encoders are only rated to drive DFPs at 60Hz; the driver will determine when only 60Hz DFP modes are allowed. This argument disables this stage of the mode validation pipeline.
    Now let's hope I can find a way to fix this problem in Windows too...

I reasonably believe that since the 5600XT can do 2048x1538 pixels in 80Hz refresh, then it sure can do 1280x1024 in 75Hz. eVGA says 5600XT it can do 150Hz in 1280x1024:
    www.evga.com/products/pdf/N317.pdf

As the Linux solution suggest, the drivers cap the refreshrate to 60Hz, because they detect "some lower quality TMDS encoders are only rated to drive DFPs at 60Hz"... But since the very same TMDS encoder can give me output resolution of 2048x1538 pixels in 60Hz refresh, then sure as hell it can give me 1280x1024 in 75Hz. As on Linux

Now the question is only how to duplicate the Linux nVidia drivers option "AllowNon60HzDFPModes". Anyone can shred some light at this?

I, personally, see only two ways.
    1) change/patch/modify the drivers somehow to allow the non 60Hz DFP modes even on 5600XT card
    2) change/patch/modify the GFX card bios to not report lower quality TMDS encoder, thus allowing drivers to set up higher refreshrates

Who can help me to get same results on Windows as on Linux are possible?
    Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.

The BIG question.
    How to simulate the Linux option "AllowNon60HzDFPModes", witch I trying to find out unsucesfully. Looks like the TMDS encoder on my poor FX5600XT card fall into some category that says "60Hz only" in all Forceware drivers I tested (45.28, 53.03 WHQ, 81.95 WHQ)...
    I see two ways to get more that 60Hz. Okay, there.
    1) modify the drivers somehow to disable the check, as the Linux option does
    2) modify the BIOS in my FX5600XT to report more modern TMDS encoder, witch is allowed to use higher refreshrates over DVI
    3) buy new GFX card - friend 7300GS with the very same monitor and some 75.xx Forceware drivers do 72 or 75Hz refresh w/o a glitch

Yet since these card are not AGP and the FX5600XT got passive (nice quiet Zalman) cooling, the option no. 3 is not very viable one...

Okay, in fact, there is also option no. 4: use Linux, where things (probably) work!

Oh, well.

The Linux drivers only have the very fortunate possibility of override the default settings by the "AllowNon60HzDFPModes" option that let the driver bypass the checks and allow any refreshrate to be set, and hence drive the TMDS to or even over it's limits.
    (I heard that it produce funny digital noise effects, if you go over it's capabilities, hehe)

So basically it looks like that I have to search where the "60Hz refresh only on this chip" option of nVidia drivers is stored and then modify it (on installed drivers) and/or then go and modify the drivers to save the option as I want it - eg. leaving up to the user, how hard he want to drive his TMDS

Hardware Nightmare
    Most of LCD's work only with 60Hz refresh. So VGA detects this via DDC, and locks refresh rate to 60Hz. Why do you want more? LCD's are much slower than 60Hz, so no flicker appear, as it was on CRT.
    Taking GND reference from another galaxy

Electronics engineering @ extreme overclocker
    LN2: Cel347@8199.5MHz,920@5300,E8600@6610,QX9650@5700,X 3050@4311,X3470@5060

For smooth 3D action and even scrolling - everything is better at 75Hz instead of 60Hz. DDC must report 76Hz and it does:

My BenQ FP75G LCD panel do support 75Hz refreshrate, it have 5mS response time.
    http://www.superwarehouse.com/BenQ_F...P75G/p/1497679

On Linux is possible to override the artificial nVidia limit by using "AllowNon60HzDFPModes" paramater. I want the same for Windows. Clear now?
    Last edited by caps_buster; 10-08-2009 at 06:31 AM.