Thread: 1st Time DICE Pot

Xtreme Member

1st Time DICE Pot

Today I am going to jump into the world of Dry Ice cooling. I told my dad to pick me up a 1/4" Copper Base, and a 10-14" height 1/4" thick 3 1/2" wide copper tube for the pot. I don't know what I want to use for the mounting hardware quite yet though... Thats where I would like some advice. I don't have any fabricating tools around that I have access too and so its just me, my weld torch and dry ice and menthol.

I'll update this as I go, I thought I would get it started for any one to post helpful links etc..

Stay Tune!

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Welcome to XS If you can find a delrin plate on Ebay, that would make a great hold-down. Easy to work with, rigid (from ~6mm thickness at the size you'll be needing) and doesnt conduct heat
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Member
    I am trying to spend as little money as possible but still see immense performance increase. Tell me what you think of this kind of a pot set-up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFvid_W4n4

It looked cheap and effective, you tell me though

Thanks

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Im not sure about the fibreglass insulation... id always recommend neoprene. Vince has a great guide in this section, have you read over that?

As for the pot.... if the bottom end cap has a mix of mass and surface area it would work alright
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtremely unstable
    I did pretty much the same as you. I just sort of made it up as I went along. Here's my thread... http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=230427

If I can be of any help just lemme know.
    Last edited by loonym; 10-02-2009 at 12:50 AM.
    dx58so
    w3520@4100
    4x1gb corsair ddr3-1333
    gtx 295
    TR ultra-x, 2 scythe ultrakaze push/pull
    xclio stablepower 1000
    vista ultimate

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -------------------------------

would you crunch if you thought it would save her life?

maybe it will!

Xtreme Member
    Where can I find the supplies to make my first pot? I don't have access to a lathe or a drill press. I just need some recommendations and some links or something. I really want to get into extreme benchmarking via Dry Ice!

Xtremely unstable
    You can get materials from local metal warehouses, or ebay. No special or expensive machine tools are needed as you can see by reading my thread. I used a hand drill, 4 1/2" angle grinder, palm sander, and a cheapo router. For the hold down I used some 14ga steel for the back plate, threaded rod and thumb nuts, and the top is made from a white teflon cutting board I got at a local cooking supply shop. None of this has to be complicated or costly.
    dx58so
    w3520@4100
    4x1gb corsair ddr3-1333
    gtx 295
    TR ultra-x, 2 scythe ultrakaze push/pull
    xclio stablepower 1000
    vista ultimate

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -------------------------------

would you crunch if you thought it would save her life?

maybe it will!

Xtreme Member
    where did you get the metal for the pot though, I am having trouble finding 3 1/2" copper tubing for my pot. and maybe 3 1/2" isn't a good size for my cpu, idk... what do you guys think about finding the supplies and the right sizing etc..

Xtreme Member
    3 1/2" is a bit big... the hole spacing on a 775 is only 72mm hole spacing, which is like 2.834" meaning your pot would cover up any ability to mount on a 775 socket, 1156 is 75mm, and 1366 is 80mm... can't tell you what it is on am2/am3 but i know it's slightly larger... i'd consider small tubing if you wanna mount it on anything

Xtreme Member
    i agree with lesstutrey 3 1/2" is going to be a bit large, the largest i would go for a round part is 3" diameter.
    Gaming Setup
    Intel X3440
    Gigabyte H55n USB3
    2x4gb Mushkin 996999
    EVGA GTX 580
    Silverstone Sugo SG-05
    Corsair H60 w/ Push/Pull AP15s
    Seasonic SS-560KM 560w