BlackOps Bios/other help

1st of all, here are my system specs

E5200 @ 3.0GHz (9x333mhz)
    Crosair XMS3 2GB (2x1GB) 1333Mhz
    Sapphire TOXIC HD4870 512MB
    500GB Barracuda 7200.11RPM
    HP dvd/cd rw drive
    Thermaltake Xaser VI case

1st of all, i was wondering if there was any way to update bios without going online? the main Foxconn website don't really have all the new bios there. where would i get the latest bios w/out using the the software foxconn provides to get bios in windows.

also another thing was that, somewhere i read that it is better to put the ram in the white slots (2 and 4) instead of the blue (1 and 3) slots? is this even true?

3rd for some reason, none of my volts to the cpu that i apply in bios change in the CPUZ, HWMonitor, or CoreTemp. all 3 different programs have their own Volts and they stay the same even if i change the volts in bios from the stock 1.2357 to 1.300V they don't change in any of the other programs... and i've got the latest versions of all 3.

also, when i run IntelBurn Test, it fails on the 2nd run. while i am stabel for 8+ hours on Prime95 Blend test at the 3.0GHz settings with max temps in the 68*C w/ stock hsf. IntelBurn test also fails on the stock setting of 12x206mhz. weird.

and how the heck do you mount that extra GPU 120mm fan that it comes in with. do i just some how attach it to the pcie slot undeath the GPU? its confusing as well. <<< this i'm sure is a very easy installation, i was probably too tired to think as it was 3am last night when i was trying to attach the fan and i just could not figure out how/where.

1- I don't get what you mean? You want access to all of the BIOS files?
    2- 1+3 should be best, so the blue ones.. but I might be wrong as I filled all 4 slots up
    3- CPU-z reports the NBv with the blackops board, so thats why it doesn't change when you change your vCore. (Can't you just use the Aegis Panel?)
    4- Most likely an unsuccessful OC. Your first run will most likely pass with some luck and the second fails due to something being a bit wrong with your settings somewhere (maybe vCore)
    5- I swapped out a case fan with the one that came with my Blackops. Looks kickass! I couldn't imagine it'll make too much of a difference anyway.
    Last edited by ChaosWDG; 09-30-2009 at 03:01 PM.
    Intel Q9650 | EK Supreme
    G.Skill 4x2gb DDR3 1600mhz
    Foxconn Blackops | Stock Block
    ATI HD4870x2 | EK FC 4870x2
    X-Fi Fatal1ty Titanium
    T.C Electronics Konnect 24D
    Tegan Piperock 1300w
    2 Velociraptor 300gb (RAID0)
    Caviar Black 1tb
    LG Blu-Ray Writer/Pioneer DVD Writer
    LianLi v1000+
    Samsung 26" 1920*1200 Monitor
    Lycosa/Mamba/G13
    Genelec 8040a pair
    PA120.3/Laing DDC 18w/Single Bay Res
    Zalman 6fan controller/Card reader and floppy drive

Vista Ultimate rocks with 8GB

Xtreme Member
    1- i was wondering where to get the new updated bios. i know foxconn has that little program that you launch and it will update your bios for you, but at the moment, i don't have a wireless card hooked up to the desktop so no internet there. i was trying to see if maybe new bios might help me get past 350Mhz on the ram. i can't get past that. most likely it might just be my crappy RAM, but i just wanted to try it. i think i have the P05 bios i believe.

2- ok i'll just keep the 1-3 slot. and when i find a good deal on a 1600Mhz G.skill Pi series, i'll geab be me a set of those.

3- ohh oki. ya i used Aegis Panel. it looks awesome, but i was not sure if any changes i make in the Aegis Panel would be saved to the bios so next time i turn it on, it turns on with the new settings.

4- but its just weird that when i put the test to run 5 runs with just standard option, it runs the 1st test in 56 sec, but it fails the 2nd one. but for some reason Prime95 is rock solid at the same setting over 8 1/2 hours with 0 errors. just weird. next i'll try OCCT and see if that passes it.

5- ya i think i'll just hang the fan somewhere in the case, as my exhaust fan is blue also so this might look cool if i just place it right.

1- I'm using the P07 BIOS atm.. had to flash from the stock one as it didn't see my cpu (went to my grandads house as he has a Q6600 - PIMPED OLD MAN - and borrowed it for a bit). I did it without using the computer past the BIOS by burning off a dvd with all the files in the zip on it, then pressing alt+f2 at post.

2- I'm using G.Skill 1600Mhz RAM love it!

3- good man

4- it could be a range of things really, one setting wrong could cause BurnTest to fail! just keep on fiddling about. It's been a while since I last overclocked my rig and tested it, so my memory is quite hazy atm.. best wait for someone more knowledgeable to help you out.
    5- again, good man!
    Intel Q9650 | EK Supreme
    X-Fi Fatal1ty Titanium
    Tegan Piperock 1300w
    Caviar Black 1tb
    LianLi v1000+
    Lycosa/Mamba/G13
    Genelec 8040a pair
    PA120.3/Laing DDC 18w/Single Bay Res
    Zalman 6fan controller/Card reader and floppy drive

Vista Ultimate rocks with 8GB

Xtreme Member
    i can't wait to go back home and try it out my self. so you just burned all the filez as zip and just Alt+F2? that sounds very easy. i wonder if i can do it through USB... hum... i've got a laptop at home that i can just play with and find out my self. btw, P07 looks like the official bios for BlackOps, i'm gona download that one and get it updated.

arggggg. i wished the DDR3 were cheaper. even the DDR2 prices have shot up almost 2x's since last time i ordered me a 4GB set of DDR2 from newegg. i'll just have to wait until someone sell a 4GB kit in the for sale section of forums. i was thinking about just paying the $25 fee for a 1 year subscription to XSforums for this... hum

and also, i'll get the OCCT and have that running overnight tonight to see what happns there. IntelBurn test just seems too sensative to some settings in bios that i don't know about.

I didnt burn the files as a zip, I extracted the files from the ZIP, and put them in the root of a DVD which made it flashable
    Intel Q9650 | EK Supreme
    X-Fi Fatal1ty Titanium
    Tegan Piperock 1300w
    Caviar Black 1tb
    LianLi v1000+