Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 crossfire bridge vs 2 crossfire bridges

Xtreme Mentor
    my 3870s won't enable crossfire with out both on, I'm vista 64 bit.

just test out two card with out bridges on the pcb.
    cards like the 4350 and 4550, that say they support crossfire should work too if that where the case.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    dont get what you mean, sorry

and yes, sli works without any bridges and xfire should as well, havent tried it in a while though... they will just transfer the data via pciE then, its called software xfire/sli... it works well but usually a tad slower than propper bridge sli and xfire...

about people who needed 2 bridges... maybe you needed the second bridge?
    maybe the right one has to be in place or the left one, bot not both?
    Sorry, for the confusion, saaya...yeah, software enabled crossfire. HOw is that done...what software is used?
    Asus Rampage Extreme x58, T.R.U.E. Copper
    I7920 SLBEJ 21 x 210, 6GB DDR3 Mushkin 1683
    Win7x64, 4870X2 Quad-fire + 240GT PhysX

3dMark06 - 30,048 3dmark Vantage - 32,414

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texasreefer View Post
    Sorry, for the confusion, saaya...yeah, software enabled crossfire. HOw is that done...what software is used?
    the ATi drivers take care of software CF - for low end cards there is enough bandwidth for crossfire without the need for the bridges, you can also run higher end cards but they become bandwidth restricted resulting in less performance...

edit/ I also asked ATi how many bridges to use about a year ago in a support ticket and they told me only 1 bridge is required for 4870 CF..
    Last edited by demowhc; 10-01-2009 at 04:20 PM.

Xtreme Member
    hmmm, yes i guess not necessary....It seems that for newer cards i.e. 4890, 5870 two connectors works best

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have two HIS 4670 IceQ Turbo's in CFX, I use two bridges because I thought or was told by people here I think that two are better then one, has anyone really tested this out, would there be any FPS difference betweeen one or two bridges?

I was wondering about one or two bridges with my 5870's through my searching on the net I found a review with two 5870's in Xfire and the reviewer said they had contacted ATI about this particular ? and that ONE bridge is all it takes and that using two wouldnt hurt but doesnt really help either...If I can find this I will post a linky.......

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon...-test-review/3

its under the pic with 2 bridges...lol
    Last edited by MetalWaterBox; 10-05-2009 at 02:44 PM. Reason: added linky

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner133 View Post
    Well I use two bridge connects on my 4870's and haven't had any problems. I use two because the directions that came with my cards said to use two. Not only did it say to use two it showed photos of the installation and it used two.
    Me too, I have a Sapphire 1gb 4870 and an MSI 1gb 4870
    " Business is Binary, your either a 1 or a 0, alive or dead." - Gary Winston ^^

Asus rampage III formula,i7 980xm, H70, Silverstone Ft02, Gigabyte Windforce 580 GTX SLI, Corsair AX1200, intel x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb, hp zr30w, 12gb corsair vengeance

Rig 2
    i7 980x ,h70, Antec Lanboy Air, Samsung md230x3 ,Saphhire 6970 Xfired, Antec ax1200w, x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb,12gb Corsair Vengence MSI Big Bang Xpower

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalWaterBox View Post
    I was wondering about one or two bridges with my 5870's through my searching on the net I found a review with two 5870's in Xfire and the reviewer said they had contacted ATI about this particular ? and that ONE bridge is all it takes and that using two wouldnt hurt but doesnt really help either...If I can find this I will post a linky.......

WOW, MetalWaterBox, awesome find....

According to the reviewers at 3dGuru...

"Though the photo shows two CrossfireX bridges only one CF strap is actually sufficient and recommended to retain better the airflow of the board. According to ATI there’s really no need for a second one unless you use 3- or 4-way CF."

Verry Interesting

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Mentor

note cards in pink crossfire with out connectors, on crossfire boards.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

RAIDer
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalWaterBox View Post

I have 2x Asus 5870 in crossfire. I tested 1 bridge vs 2 bridges in games and 3dmarks. Crysis, farcry 2, nfs shift, crysis Warhead, Fallout 3, 3dmark 05,06 and vantage. All tests where identical with one and two bridges. No performanceloss og gain.

But if I run my 5870 cards in x16 + x8 pci-e speed, then my average fps in Warhead goes form ~53fps --> ~42fps. Compared when I run pci-e x16 +x16 on my Evga x58 vanilla. In 3dmarks I don't loos so mutch "power" from x16/x8.

Apparently Crysis Warhead need all the bandwidt it can get

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizzen View Post
    I have 2x Asus 5870 in crossfire. I tested 1 bridge vs 2 bridges in games and 3dmarks. Crysis, farcry 2, nfs shift, crysis Warhead, Fallout 3, 3dmark 05,06 and vantage. All tests where identical with one and two bridges. No performanceloss og gain.

But if I run my 5870 cards in x16 + x8 pci-e speed, then my average fps in Warhead goes form ~53fps --> ~42fps. Compared when I run pci-e x16 +x16 on my Evga x58 vanilla. In 3dmarks I don't loos so mutch "power" from x16/x8.

Apparently Crysis Warhead need all the bandwidt it can get
    Whoa, I guess that sounds right and odd. My board and cards are 16x and 8x but my score are similar with others to a certain extent with Vantage and Crysis... But it runs like garbage. You think that's the cause? What did you do to get different pcie freq? I was debating if my board is the cause of retardness... Crysis, even though it say 40 it'll look like 20

Xtreme Member
    I think when i had my 4850 1gig with 2 bridges i d get 1-2 more frames in crysis but then again i am not sure...But chances are that its true...

RAIDer
    Quote Originally Posted by nascasho View Post
    Whoa, I guess that sounds right and odd. My board and cards are 16x and 8x but my score are similar with others to a certain extent with Vantage and Crysis... But it runs like garbage. You think that's the cause? What did you do to get different pcie freq? I was debating if my board is the cause of retardness... Crysis, even though it say 40 it'll look like 20
    When I have a pci-e card in the third pci-e x16 slot, the pci-e config on the three pci-e slots is: x16-x8-x8. When only the first two pci-e slots used, the config is x16-x16-x8.

The third pci-e slot runs only in pci-e x8 on Evga x58 vanilla. Only MB with nf 200(s) have 3 pci-e x16 electrical or more

Xtreme Member
    Thing is that the LE is locked at 16x/8x/4x/8x and I get some bad results and get benches on par with others, but the benches are too small to compare spec to spec.

Crysis in general anyways. In some areas it'll lag... really bad. I get microstutter pretty bad too. Game says 40+ fps and it'll look and feel like 20. I also don't hear too many complaints about CFX performance for some reason either, yet my benches are on par... and it sucks.

I dunno if it was because of the 16x and 8x setup or not even the though the bottleneck isn't THAT bad.

P24965

Xtreme Addict
    "Dual channel interconnect" is the term (describing the crossfireX bridges) I've heard somewhere.

When in doubt - use 3+ cards and 4 sticks of ram
    http://picasaweb.google.ca/lh/photo/...eat=directlink

World Community Grid's mission is to create the world's largest public computing grid to tackle projects that benefit humanity.
    Our success depends upon individuals collectively contributing their unused computer time to change the world for the better.

Xtreme Member
    Maybe you heard that here http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonhd3800/specs.html

Located under the Crossfire config of the 3800s. NOtsure what that means "Dual channel interconnect is not required for ATI CrossFire, and may not be included in all product configuration."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Yea they even call it "high performance",nice find

I am guessing that maybe in the future there will be a need
    for using 2 per 2 cards,probably when a lot of data transfer
    is taking place (high resolutions+IQ+6+monitors).

World Community Grid's mission is to create the world's largest public computing grid to tackle projects that benefit humanity.
    Our success depends upon individuals collectively contributing their unused computer time to change the world for the better.

Xtreme Member
    sorry to drag up this old topic, but this is my first xfire setup (2x5850), and i was wondering the same thing. i've tried 1 and 2 bridges and the only game where it seems to make a difference is in crysis. BUT 2 bridges somehow makes it worse! the stuttering is more pronounced in certain areas AND sometimes the framerates will drop down to <10 for no apparent reason. removed 1 bridge and played the same part and it's ok. repeatable about 4 times. soo my question, has there been any real consensus? or is it just a per game thing still for now? the other two games i'm playing now (mw2, fc2) i notice absolutely no change between 1 and 2 bridges.

Just use one bridge. That's the way I think most of us do it, and there's no benefit to using two. It only seems to cause problems.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Love will tear us apart
    Heh not railing again you darck it's just this is one of those topics, like whether or not it's a good idea to disable the page file when you have a lot of RAM, about which there is really never consensus and that seems to be a constant source of confusion and questions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dark Star IV
    i5 3570K | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | 8GB Samsung 30nm | GTX 670 FTW 4GB + XSPC Razer 680 | 128GB Samsung 830
    Apogee HD White | 140MM UT60/120MM UT45/120MM ST30 | XSPC D5 V2

Xtreme Member
    oh well....deal with it! If it bothers you so much then don't respond to something that may concern someone else. Stick that in your 280 and smoke it, deadhead. This post has nothing to do with your old arss ancient setup.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Love will tear us apart
    Quote Originally Posted by texasreefer View Post
    oh well....deal with it! If it bothers you so much then don't respond to something that may concern someone else. Stick that in your 280 and smoke it, deadhead. This post has nothing to do with your old arss ancient setup.
    LMAO! And that from someone named texasreefer. ANYWAY, my post wasn't even a complaint really so chill the f out. Just about the fact that this seemingly simple question is never resolved and it's kind of hilarious.

BTW I got this 280 as a straight trade for a 4870 until the 5800 series comes down to earth. Not a bad deal, even a rabid ATI fanboy should be be able to admit.
    Dark Star IV
    i5 3570K | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | 8GB Samsung 30nm | GTX 670 FTW 4GB + XSPC Razer 680 | 128GB Samsung 830

Xtreme Member
    Good trade...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Love will tear us apart
    Thanks. I have ran ATI cards only since X800 and wanted to try Nvidia drivers for a change for IQ comparisons and different AA modes. I kind of hate Nvidia but I'm really glad I did this, there is a definite nice difference in some games.

Actually originally traded for a 260 but it blew up (literally) after a week and MSI sent this nice reference 280 so I got pretty lucky.
    Dark Star IV

Xtreme Addict
    @ Higher res you will notice micro stutter with just one cable,@ least on my 3870 gddr4's.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast