Thread: Second monitor showing white noise/snow on HD4870!

Xtreme Addict

Exclamation Second monitor showing white noise/snow on HD4870!

Howdy folks. On Monday I hooked up an unused LCD to my HD4870. Today I walked in from work and see it displaying snow. I disabled the monitor in the driver and it went black. When I re-enabled it displayed snow again. At this point I'm worried, but usually a reboot fixes all. I go to reboot and both screen go black before the system posts. When the GPU initializes my main monitor is fine, as usual, but the second is displaying snow. The hardware is likely damaged. It seems whatever drives the second display is FUBAR now .

Do any of you have a clue as to what ails my card or is this an excuse to upgrade?
    Core i7 2600K@4.6Ghz| 16GB G.Skill@2133Mhz 9-11-10-28-38 1.65v| ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | Corsair 750i PSU | ASUS GTX 980 OC | Xonar DSX | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB |A bunch of HDDs and terabytes | Oculus Rift w/ touch | ASUS 24" 144Hz G-sync monitor

Quote Originally Posted by phelan1777 View Post
    Hail fellow warrior albeit a surat Mercenary. I Hail to you from the Clans, Ghost Bear that is (Yes freebirth we still do and shall always view mercenaries with great disdain!) I have long been an honorable warrior of the mighty Warden Clan Ghost Bear the honorable Bekker surname. I salute your tenacity to show your freebirth sibkin their ignorance!

Xtreme Addict
    Ahh heck. It seems I've partially figured this out. I swapped DVI ports on each monitor and I found out the Hanns-G HG191D is the culprit and not my expensive-to-replace GPU. This led me to believe maybe the DVI port on the monitor went bad somehow. When I hooked up a VGA cable the monitor displayed just fine. In the monitor's menu I found a menu for Input Setting and changed it from Analog to Digital and VOILA! Both VGA and DVI work on that setting strangely. Beats me how or why the monitor up and changed itself. I'm just glad my hardware isn't completely screwed.

I know I should be thankful, but I was just about to plan what the GPU replacement was going to be. My 5870 dreams remain on hold.
    Core i7 2600K@4.6Ghz| 16GB G.Skill@2133Mhz 9-11-10-28-38 1.65v| ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | Corsair 750i PSU | ASUS GTX 980 OC | Xonar DSX | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB |A bunch of HDDs and terabytes | Oculus Rift w/ touch | ASUS 24" 144Hz G-sync monitor

Quote Originally Posted by phelan1777 View Post
    Hail fellow warrior albeit a surat Mercenary. I Hail to you from the Clans, Ghost Bear that is (Yes freebirth we still do and shall always view mercenaries with great disdain!) I have long been an honorable warrior of the mighty Warden Clan Ghost Bear the honorable Bekker surname. I salute your tenacity to show your freebirth sibkin their ignorance!