Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia doesn’t plan new AMD chipsets

Xtreme Addict

Nvidia doesn’t plan new AMD chipsets

No point

It is not only that Nvidia canceled its DMI chipset projects and won’t have its Lynnfield, Nehalem refresh chipset, it doesn’t want even to make a new AMD chipset.

Mr. Drew Henry has explained us that since AMD's CPU business is doing so badly and since its market shrunk so much, it is simply not economically viable for Nvidia to continue developing chipsets for AMD. They simply cannot make enough money.

Nvidia will continue making ION chipsets and Ion 2 is well under development as there is a lot of financial sense for Nvidia as they can make good buck on this chipset. The only obstacle is Intel who doesn’t want this chipset around, but Nvidia has decided to fight Intel on this one, and has HP and Lenovo supporting ION in its netbooks.

As for AMD, 2010 will be a tough year for selling their own CPUs.

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15852/1/

hmmm maybe charlie had some truth to his German madness?
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Xtreme Mentor
    lol after they renamed the chipset how many times aswell?

how will amd sturggle to sell cpus in 2010 ? lol there best for the lower end of the market.. oh yeah where the money is made (exluding server market)
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesrt2004 View Post
    lol after they renamed the chipset how many times aswell?

how will amd sturggle to sell cpus in 2010 ? lol there best for the lower end of the market.. oh yeah where the money is made (exluding server market)
    Yeah Nv's spin masters are trying to make it look like there is no market for them,when in fact there is a vast market but they have no money to invest in new HT3.1 ready chipsets. Plus AMD is hammering them badly in GPU business with smarter GPU design strategy that it's not even funny any more. Who would want to pay a premium for SLI enabled board when they can slide in dual RV870 card in their cheap 785G boards that will even support hex core desktop parts(enough power even for most demanding desktop users).Looks like they won't even try the rename game with their ancient chipsets,buyers are not THAT stupid to swallow yet another rename.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    There isn't any market for NVIDIA on AMD's desktop platform due to the success of AMD's chipset platform. Who wants an NVIDIA chipset when they can get an AMD chipset with AOD support and incredibly low power consumption?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Sounds like Nvidia is giving up on the desktop market for chipsets. Not needed if SLI can be run on any motherboard using lucid I guess. So they are going to focus on mobile maybe? Much more growth potential than desktops I bet.
    Aaron___________________________Wife________________________ HTPC
    intel i7 2600k_____________________AMD5000+ BE @ 3ghz___________AMD4850+ BE @ 2.5ghz
    stock cooling______________________CM Vortex P912_______________ Foxconn A7GM-S 780G
    AsRock Extreme 4_________________ GB GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G_______OCZ SLI 2gb PC6400
    4gb 1600 DDR3___________________ OCZ Plat 2GB PC6400___________Avermedia A180 HDTV tuner
    MSI 48901gb 950/999______________Tt Toughpower 600w___________ Saphire 4830
    Corsair HX620____________________ inwin allure case___________ ___ Coolmax 480w
    NZXT 410 Gunmetal________________Acer 23" 1080p________________ LiteOn BD player
    X2gen 22" WS
    ________________ ________________________________ nMediaPC 1000B case

AMD (or ATI, specifically) really has nVidia beat on chipsets for the AMD platform and have since the arrival of the 700-series. With AMD releasing their new server chipsets last month, there's not much room for nVidia. Besides, nVidia hadn't designed a new AMD chipset in many years. Their latest server chipset was the MCP55 which was just a new name for the nForce Professional 3600 which seems to have been designed in 2004. Let's face it. It's not like nVidia was exactly innovating in this field to begin with. It sounds more like they decided enough was enough and it was time to officially can the division after five years of no new designs. Time had obsoleted their offerings. The only reason they were still in use was due to no contenders/alternatives to speak of. That changed late last month.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Member
    So, will people stop buying Nvidia GPUs or AMD platforms because they can't use SLI?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    There isn't any market for NVIDIA on AMD's desktop platform due to the success of AMD's chipset platform. Who wants an NVIDIA chipset when they can get an AMD chipset with AOD support and incredibly low power consumption?
    +1, but we cannot ignore that Nvidia had some of the best chipsets ever.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    Exactly.
    Nvidia chipsets were only good for... SLI?
    And some decent memory controllers, but these moved onto CPUs, so...
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

You may be being a little generous. I haven't seen much reason to give serious consideration to an nVidia chipset after the nForce3/4 era. In later years, I've actively avoided the nVidia chipsets since they use so much more power without any benefits. They also come with those horribly unstable nVidia NICs.
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Addict
    680i = my worst motherboard experience EVER.
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    INTEL Core i7 920 // ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 // OCZ 3G1600 6GB // POWERCOLOR HD5970 // Cooler Master HAF 932 // Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme // SAMSUNG T260 26"

Quote Originally Posted by annihilat0r View Post
    680i = my worst motherboard experience EVER.
    You ever run into the SATA issue with NCQ being enabled causing random data corruption?

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Rule 3:

Xtreme X.I.P.
    lol, nvidia chipsets are dead, didnt you guys hear the news a couple of months back?

1. they were heavily underfunded to begin with
    2. they didnt have enough manpower
    3. stability and quality control problems with 5, 6, and 7 series
    4. intel moves the igp into the cpu package and basically blocks igp chipsets, amd is going to do the same soon
    5. performance of their igp chips is the same as amds igp chipsets or worse, but amd bundles their chipsets for low prices with their cpus, so they cant compete...

the only thing they have now is ion, and ion is a gpu with a memory controller that can use conventional ddr2... many gpus can do that... and it has usb ports and sata ports slapped onto it... thats it...

making an official pr statement like this, publically pssing on amds leg... thats one of the reasons nobody in the industry really likes nvidia and wants to work with them... and its not exactly a smart move considering their x86 problems in the long term future... they majorly pssed off intel and now they poke amd as well... really smart move
    Last edited by saaya; 10-07-2009 at 08:37 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Ok fine, I don't care about Nvidia chipsets since AMDs are as good as can be pretty much. But how about OFFICIAL SLI support? :/
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartidiot89 View Post
    Ok fine, I don't care about Nvidia chipsets since AMDs are as good as can be pretty much. But how about OFFICIAL SLI support? :/
    yeh, i dont get why nvidia doesnt do the same thing for amd chipsets, they need extra cash right now, they dont plan an amd chipset... its really really stupid not to sell sli licenses for amd systems in such a situation...

Xtreme Member
    Seems like Nvidia are really focusing on ION/Tegra & GPGPU tech.

Although nowdays Nvidia chipsets presence is poor, they had a really good chipset products in the past, Nforce 2 for example...
    P6T DELUXE V2 / I7 920 D0 @ 4.2GHZ Corsair H50 / TRIDENT 2GHZ CL8 / INTEL X25-M / ASUS EAH5850 / HX620W

Xtreme Addict
    EPOX 8RDA3+ was a great example of Nforce2... ...until the IDE controller broke and corrupted 120 GB of storage overnight. Oh man, that + Duron to Athlon mods. Oh the memories. :drool:

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mk_dir View Post
    Seems like Nvidia are really focusing on ION/Tegra & GPGPU tech.

Although nowdays Nvidia chipsets presence is poor, they had a really good chipset products in the past, Nforce 2 for example...
    nforce 2 was awesome. It looks like Nvidia is heading towards becoming the new via, maybe they should buy them out seems like it would be smart. I was a huge supporter of nforce chipsets, I built 4 rigs with them for myself and after 650i wow.. Left a real bad taste in my mouth then I switched to a P35 board I never once thought I'd ever like a intel chipset and it blew me away. I'm also surprised AMD's own chipsets are doing so well can't say I see where Nvidia is going with anything besides SLI licenses.
    i3 2100, MSI H61M-E33. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws.
    MSI GTX 460 Twin Frozr II. 1TB Caviar Blue.
    Corsair HX 620, CM 690, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    yeh, i dont get why nvidia doesnt do the same thing for amd chipsets, they need extra cash right now, they dont plan an amd chipset... its really really stupid not to sell sli licenses for amd systems in such a situation...
    Insert argument for hydra here. _____________________________________

So the bigger question is; does nVidia now realize SLI may be obsoleted by Hydra? Do they know something we don't know about Hydra specifically?

I think there is hidden meaning here.
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Member
    NV peaked its core logic business during the nF2~nF4 era (incl. the nFPro series for the server market), where actually they were able to shift and influence the market share balance between AMD and Intel in the desktop area. Of course, lack of innovation and unmerited arrogance doesn't to good to anyone. They just overestimated their own success and the future prospects of the industry.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinas View Post
    Insert argument for hydra here. _____________________________________

So the bigger question is; does nVidia now realize SLI may be obsoleted by Hydra? Do they know something we don't know about Hydra specifically?

I think there is hidden meaning here.
    Well said... Thank you very much, cause I've been thinking the exact same thing.

Xtreme Member
    Yeah since Nforce 4 (and variations, except the Intel ones maybe) things went worst and worst. I don't think that SLi support be the main problem, AMD an Intel offer their own chipset product lines, the competence is hard and Nvidia is now surrounded, Via suffered a very similar situation in the past....
    P6T DELUXE V2 / I7 920 D0 @ 4.2GHZ Corsair H50 / TRIDENT 2GHZ CL8 / INTEL X25-M / ASUS EAH5850 / HX620W

Xtreme Mentor
    NVidia only got into the mainboard chipset business when AMD left the door open. AMD was too lazy to make K8 chipsets for the non-SMP/unregistered RAM boards. ATI before the AMD takeover only did mainboard chipsets very half-hearted. Via placed it's K8 chipsets in the el-cheapo market, just not going the last step to either performance or I/O heavy chipsets.

NVidia then made good money out of equipping most single-socket K8 computers in the world, subsequently gaining a foothold in the SMP K8 business and also in the Intel market because of reuse of components that were developed with the K8 cash-cow.

The chipsets never were that great (just the northbridge fan requirement is a huge problem) and NVidia never really drove the drivers to a level where they were up to -say- Intel standards. The onboard GbE gives me trouble under windows to this day, whereas the same multi-boot computer with both the reverse-engineered NVida GbE driver in Linux works fine and so does the FreeBSD driver that came god knows where. If you download today's NVforce4 package from nvidia.com you don't even get the GbE install offered, although the older packages do, as does the mainboard vendor's package. NVidia seem to not even get the driver packaging right. The lack of AHCI, and even more the lack of information on exactly which chipsets supported AHCI, was also a problem for NForce in the professional sector.

Now AMD has kicked ATI's mainboard chipset business in full gear, and that means for the mainstream platforms. So the cash-cow that sponsored the other developments gets slimmer.

I can't say that NVidia's chipsets were too horrible overall, but a major reason why I could live with them is that the Linux guys made better drivers than NVidia's windows people and that I spent most of that time using P-ATA storage.

Banned
    Is Nvidia trying to alienate the entire industry? Instead of a press release that just states they are no longer pursuing AMD chipsets, they have to take a swipe at AMD instead.

What a bunch of arrogant a-holes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesrt2004 View Post
    If by "where the money is made" you mean profits, as opposed to revenues, then I'm not sure the lower end is where it is at. Besides, in 2010, AMD has it tough against 32nm westmere all over the mainstream desktop/laptop markets.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast