Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ATi has problems with some DX10 titles at 1080p?

ATi has problems with some DX10 titles at 1080p?

Some people may already have discovered this, but no news site has posted this issue...

When playing on a 1080p HDTV via HDMI with DX10 the 4xxx series reverts to 1080i when you select 1920x1080 as the resolution. It's unknown to me as of yet whether it occurs with all DX10 titles or just some, but it definitely occurs with the following...

Gears of War - PC
    Stalker: Clear Sky
    Bioshock

Crysis works fine though.

Some games work fine, but some don't. I'd like for anyone with any DX10 or higher ATi card to test various DX10 games to see if this happens to them as well. I'm assuming if you can change the refresh rate in game you can fix the issue.

To verify if it's happening to you, have your TV tell you the resolution it is running at after you start the game. If it says 1080i, the game you're playing is effected.

Also, yes, this is news as other than a few forums there's never been any talk about this situation ever. I'd like to verify if it effects HD2xxx, 3xxx, and 5xxx series cards as well.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messagevi...VIEWTMP=Linear

Here's a thread talking about it on AMD's forum, incase anyone thinks it's just me.

Also, it CAN be fixed, but it'll take some help by those who know how to edit ATi drivers to remove support for 1080i altogether, as it's apparently caused by DX10 titles automatically reverting to the first 1080 resolution found, which in the driver is 1080i. Anyone down to help take on the project?
    Last edited by DilTech; 09-29-2009 at 05:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon2ky
    "dammit kyle what's with the 30 second sex lately?" "Sorry sweetie, I overclocked my nuts and they haven't been stable since"
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    I don't think his backside has internet access.
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts
    And your face looks tasty

I am Xtreme
    how long has this been going on?

i noticed with my new drivers i had issues trying to play with the overscan of my hdtv, and wonder if its an issue with 9.9 cats and display detection.

No one knows for sure, it goes back quite some time apparently though. People use to think it was just ATi's under-scanning, but now it turns out it's switching to 1080i.

We need more people to test to see how widespread the problem is! Hopefully if it gets enough attention AMD will fix it permanently.
    "dammit kyle what's with the 30 second sex lately?" "Sorry sweetie, I overclocked my nuts and they haven't been stable since"
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    how long has this been going on?

i noticed with my new drivers i had issues trying to play with the overscan of my hdtv, and wonder if its an issue with 9.9 cats and display detection.
    the first post in the linked thread was posted in July so that knocks out the 9.9 theory, I think 9.6 was the current driver then.

I am Xtreme
    i can vouch WoW in windowed mode works just fine

Xtreme Member
    No offense to the OP, this really isn't news. When I had my 4870 a year ago, I had this same issue. For some reason, ATI's handling of TV's and TV resolutions is pretty assed up.
    System: Core I7 920 @ 4200MHz 1.45vCORE 1.35VTT 1.2vIOH // EVGA x58 Classified E760 // 6GB Dominator GT 1866 @ 1688 6-7-6-18 1T 1.65V // Intel X25 80GB // PCP&C 750W Silencer
    Cooling: Heatkiller 3.0 LT CPU block // 655 Pump // GTX360 Radiator
    Sound: X-FI Titanium HD --> Marantz 2265 --> JBL 4311WXA's
    Display: GTX480 // Sony GDM-FW900

Considering most people don't even know about it, and people DO want to know these things when they buy hardware, that very much makes it news. Especially with 24" 1080p lcd monitors being so cheap now... Yes, I've heard it occurs on some of those too.

Remember, the more attention a bug gets, the more likely it is to be fixed.
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts

Xtreme Member
    This is news to me. Thanks!

ATI also has a problem rendering CS:S correctly in dx9... sometimes causing obstructions to what you can see. This can be solved by putting in a start up or console command to change the game to dx8.1 or lower. The problem is that in Vista, you crash on de_nuke for some reason when running in anything but dx9. In XP/Win7 RTM it works fine.

This is a different problem though
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbylite View Post
    with great MHZ comes great responsibility
    CPU:Q6600 G0 @ 3.825
    Motherboard:Asus P5E X38
    Memory:2x2GB OCZ Reapers DDR2 1066
    Graphics Card:Asus 4850
    Hard Drive:2xSegate 500gb 32MB Cache raid0
    Power Supply:Xion 800W
    Case:3DAurora
    CPU cooling: D-tek Fuzion V2 (Quad insert removed)
    GPU cooling: mcw60
    Monitor:24" LG

Xtreme Member
    This is good to know, I want to know if it effects the 5 series cards because I was considering getting one here soon and my main screen for playing video games on right now is my 52" 1080p TV.

Xtreme Addict
    I was having this problem with my family room htpc with a 4850 and a 52" lcd. I thought it was the TV screwing it up since it automatically selects modes based on input signal and I didn't think the video card would run 1080i unless I specified it in the CCC.

I don't know why it never dawned on my that the video card might have been the problem!!
    Work Rig: Asus x58 P6T Deluxe, i7 950 24x166 1.275v, BIX2/GTZ/D5
    3x2048 GSkill pi Black DDR3 1600, Quadro 600
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 810

Game Rig: Asus x58 P6T, i7 970 24x160 1.2v HT on, TRUE120
    3x4096 GSkill DDR3 1600, PNY 660ti
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 830

AMD Rig: Biostar TA790GX A2+, x4 940 16x200, stock hsf
    2x2gb Patriot DDR2 800, PowerColor 4850
    Corsair VX450

Xtreme Addict
    I don't know why, but after reading your reply, I tried to add modes under "HDTV Support" that I had already listed:

Add 1080i30 format to the Display Manager(NTSC)

Add 1080p60 format to the Display Manager(NTSC)

Add 1080p24 format to the Display Manager(HD)

Which resulted in 24hz, 29i, 30i, 59hz, 60hz listed under my refresh rates.
    Now everything under DX10 is working! Well DMC4 DX10 only works if I select 59hz under 1920x1080 resolution, but all other games properly detect 1080p now. I would have never guessed to try this if it wasn't for your reply. Thanks again.
    http://forums.amd.com/game/messagevi...VIEWTMP=Linear

Hello! I have my PC connected to Philips FullHD LCD TV . The video is Radeon 4870 1GB. Yesterday I have installed Resident Evil 5 and Red Faction and I was very disappointed from the fact that both DirectX 10 games are runing at 1080i (interlaced) mode instead of 1080p (1920x1080@60hz). I have read all the posts of other users which have the same annoying problem. I would buy an Nvidia graphic card if I knew earlier about it. Shame...

I installed yesterday Catalyst 9.9 and at the HDTV menu I added support for 1080p@24,50,60 Hz. After that I started Resident Evil 5 at DirectX 10 mode and I got finaly 1080p full screen picture with maximum settings, perfect playable !!! phew...what a relief
    http://forums.amd.com/game/messagevi...ar&#lastunread
    Last edited by jaredpace; 09-29-2009 at 08:45 AM.
    Bring... bring the amber lamps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jared, that only works with some TVs... The issue is, for a lot of people, that sticks them with 1080p24, which means if the refresh rate in game can't be changed(gears of war, for example) they're stuck with a refresh rate of 24. Most nice 1080p TV's support 1080p24 because 1080p60 can have slight jitters with HD movies, because it leads to a split in frames when sync'ing to the TV(every other frame is displayed twice IIRC).

Basically, the game selects the first 1080 mode it sees, and on the list it's 1080i.
    Last edited by DilTech; 09-29-2009 at 08:52 AM.
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts

That's odd...

Crysis is the one that works PERFECTLY for me, while the others don't. Also, none of this happened ever on my 8800GTX. No dx10 game at 1920x1080p ever had an issue on that card.

The fact that no reviewer, nor news site, has ever made mention of the issue is blatant neglect though, guess it never occurred to them that people do use tvs for monitors.

:::this message is in reply to lowfat below, he deleted his initial post:::
    Last edited by DilTech; 09-29-2009 at 09:01 AM.
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock&Roll View Post
    No offense to the OP, this really isn't news. When I had my 4870 a year ago, I had this same issue. For some reason, ATI's handling of TV's and TV resolutions is pretty assed up.
    Yup. Has been happening since the beginning of DX10 w/ ATI cards AFAIK.

Interesting. I've love to see someone fire up Crysis w/ the Cat 9.9's to see if the issue still remains. I played Crysis enough for me to actually move away from a 1080p display to a 16:10 monitor.

Xtreme Addict
    hmm interesting but this should have directed to officials

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by DilTech View Post
    That's odd...

Crysis is the one that works PERFECTLY for me, while the others don't. Also, none of this happened ever on my 8800GTX. No dx10 game at 1920x1080p ever had an issue on that card.
    What are you trying to imply there?

Besides, this is old news.

The post under the post you quoted was who that was in reply to. lowfat posted and then deleted his post, then reposted it and added another quote. He said the same thing occurs on NVidia cards, which I know for a fact doesn't, so I pointed that out to him.

Also, how is something old news when it's never been reported on any news site? A few forums have spoke on it, but it's NEVER been posted on a news site, thus it cannot be classified as "old news". This is important for a lot of people, and it IS an issue that DOES effect people with said cards. As such, THEY deserve to know. What's so wrong with that? I sure wish I had known about it before I bought this card, now it's too late...
    Last edited by DilTech; 09-29-2009 at 09:40 AM.
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts

Xtreme Addict
    So Diltech, what happens when you try that solution with your ati driver + hdtv? Also the thread you linked other posters say it happens on nvidia cards too...
    Bring... bring the amber lamps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    If you go to force HDTV it say's 1920x1080p,so did you try that.It seem's like one would try to trouble shoot before making a thread about a feature that doesn't work that clearly does.

Quote Originally Posted by jaredpace View Post
    So Diltech, what happens when you try that solution with your ati driver + hdtv? Also the thread you linked other posters say it happens on nvidia cards too...
    Nothing, still sticks to 1080i(although it reverts to 1080p24 on my other TV, which is even worse as that's a refresh rate of 24). I know the cause of it, if I can find a way to remove 1080i support entirely from the driver then it'll stick to 1080p. Just a matter of figuring out how to do so as I'm not too familiar with the actual hacking of ATi's drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hell Hound View Post
    If you go to force HDTV it say's 1920x1080p,so did you try that.It seem's like one would try to trouble shoot before making a thread about a feature that doesn't work that clearly does.
    I tried that, there's a long list of things I tried on EOCF actually before I finally realized it's DX10 games with the problem. You can also check Guru3d as well as AMD's forum and you'll find that I've been trying to get someone to help with the aforementioned driver hack.

I even sat on the phone with AMD asking for assistance, and they told me that they'll put in a support ticket...

Quote Originally Posted by hennyo View Post
    This is good to know, I want to know if it effects the 5 series cards because I was considering getting one here soon and my main screen for playing video games on right now is my 52" 1080p TV.
    I've got someone with a 5870 who's going to test as soon as he gets the chance to hook it up to his TV. I'll keep things updated.
    Last edited by DilTech; 09-29-2009 at 09:50 AM.
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts

I am Xtreme
    The post under the post you quoted was who that was in reply to. lowfat posted and then deleted his post, then reposted it and added another quote. He said the same thing occurs on NVidia cards, which I know for a fact doesn't, so I pointed that out to him.
    Well it would happen w/ my GTX295. I moved from 2 HD4870's to the GTX295 for this reason. An when when playing Crysis it would always run @ 1080p24. So I had to run the game with a -dx9 switch in order to get 60Hz. Moved to HD4980's and the issue still remained.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    One of the video reviews out there for the HD5870 showed a Blu-ray movie played with PowerDVD on a TV through HDMI (Both sound and video from the ATI card) at 1080i much to the surprise of the reviewer...
    It's not limited to games only it seems.

In case you're wondering, the review in question was about the support for the HD5xxx series to send drm protected DTS-HD and TrueHD streams through the HDMI out, unlike with previous cards where the stream needs to be decoded on the PC and then sent as PCM.

Considering most people don't even know about it, and people DO want to know these things when they buy hardware, that very much makes it news. Especially with 24" 1080p lcd monitors being so cheap now... Yes, I've heard it occurs on some of those too.

Remember, the more attention a bug gets, the more likely it is to be fixed.
    So can we make news posts about all bugs we find with nvidia and ati drivers?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
    So can we make news posts about all bugs we find with nvidia and ati drivers?
    There are people having genuine problems and the more attention bugs get, more quickly it is solved.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontos View Post
    One of the video reviews out there for the HD5870 showed a Blu-ray movie played with PowerDVD on a TV through HDMI (Both sound and video from the ATI card) at 1080i much to the surprise of the reviewer...
    It's not limited to games only it seems.

In case you're wondering, the review in question was about the support for the HD5xxx series to send drm protected DTS-HD and TrueHD streams through the HDMI out, unlike with previous cards where the stream needs to be decoded on the PC and then sent as PCM.
    Where was this review, this was another big reason I was considering getting a 5 series ATI card, because it would save me a two hundred something audio card?

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast