Thread: Pump Speed control question

Xtreme Member

Pump Speed control question

I recently bought a TyphoonIII with a D5 pump, but I didnt get the pump that had the speed control already installed. Just has a 4 pin molex that is only using two wires and then a sending wire to attach to mobo for rpm readout.
    What I am asking is how can I now adjust the speed of the pump without spending $99 on a pump and fan controller. Can I wire the 4 pin molex to a 3 pin fan mobo even though the 4 pin uses larger wire? Or would that be too much power for the mobo?
    Second can I wire 2 fans to use the same 3 pin plug on the mobo or again would that be too much needed vts for the mobo?

Thanks in advance

Bloodrage mobo
    600w psu

Xtreme Guru
    The pump draws too much power for the MB to control it. You can watch the classifieds or Ebay for used vario D5s. They show up on there from time to time. (you need 100 posts to see the for sale section, but you are almost there.)

The only other option I know if is to get a fan controller like the Big NG. Regular fan controls can't handle the pumps either IIRC.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Member
    What about a voltage control from a industrial electronic store, If I put one inbetween the psu and pump I should be able to control speed with adjusting how much volts gets to the pump correct? The only reason want to slow it down is because It is the loudest thing in my computer now, if i knew the D5 was so loud I would have made the purchase.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellowyellow View Post
    What about a voltage control from a industrial electronic store, If I put one inbetween the psu and pump I should be able to control speed with adjusting how much volts gets to the pump correct? The only reason want to slow it down is because It is the loudest thing in my computer now, if i knew the D5 was so loud I would have made the purchase.
    Yea, I'm in same boat you are. A non-vario D5 can get a bit noisy in the T3.

As long as it can handle 24 W and 2 Amps. It will probably work.

edit: check your PMs.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for all the help, now any idea how to get micro bubbles out when using PC ice Coolant??