Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: JCviggen - Tom Holck - OPPAINTER

k|ngp|n/Sham my brothers

JCviggen - Tom Holck - OPPAINTER

Well, I started this new thread INSIDE the 3D section because these guys are REALY 3D guys, LEGENTS, BIG NAMES to remember, etc.

I started this thread to show some deserving repect to these guys, to tell them that WE DO REMEMBER them, we will ALWAYS DO and we love them.

I started this thread for us "olders" to REMEMBER and DON'T FORGET and for the NEW guys to LEARN and SEE who they where and what they have done back in "hard times of overclocking" with no LN2 and such things...

This is the JCviggen: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/member.php?u=88
    The man with his on-air and his single stage resaults.

This is the Tom Holck: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/member.php?u=309
    The man with his POWERFULL Cascade.

and this is the mighty OPPAINTER: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/member.php?u=57
    THE MAN....

EACH one of them has given his body, his soul and his spirit for the Overclocking community and for the Overclocking itself.
    They where and they STILL ARE the "LEGENTS" and the inspirations...

These are some simple words from me to describe them.

You "older" guys please re-read their posts on your free time to REMEMBER...
    YOU younger guys please read their posts to know them and learn the "spirit"...
    You have free time to read - I know - because you're many hours on net searching....So READ about them and spend your hours on this and not on other cruppy things.....

REMEMBER AND LEARN....

There are MANY other real legents out there, so I please the older guys to write them down in this thread to REMEMBER and LEARN.....

INTEL PWA FOR EVER

Dr. Who my arss...

Respect,

I am still in contact with Opp, he is close by and see him once or twice a year. He still drops by every so often to visit us. I am sure he will still make the XS CES event in Vegas even though he is retired he is still one of us.

I wish JC would have returned after the fallout, we did speak a little afterward but I think there was still some unsaid tension.

Tom still drops by every so often, one of the best.

One name to add to the list is DDTUNG, he has given so much to the community and the world in the DC group besides being on of the top benchers of his time.

Thanks George, most of the new guys need a refresher on the greats of our time.

Last edited by Charles Wirth; 09-28-2009 at 09:03 AM.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

PIfection
    i was fortune enough to meet DDTUNG with T_M, FUGGER, Gautam and moloko about 18 months ago. It was a very humbling experience, what can I say this guy knows his computers but also knows his food! it was a pleasure!

Master of nebulah frost

Big respect!

NooB MOD
    OMG this is weird, just yesterday I was asking around the PURE chatbox if anyone remembers Tom and what happened to him, as well as MickeyMouse. It's a pity about him, he was also a great in his day

OPP vs Tom vs macci - the good old days
    Last edited by [XC] Oj101; 09-28-2009 at 12:50 AM.
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Tom and his Intel chips at... 7.2GHz???? back in the day. One of my first "OMFG people really push this stuff" memories

Digital Jesus?

Dazboots, Dave barker, Mark Gee and Mav- early UK guys who pushed things and caught my eye when I was finding out what overclocking was

Reggie... some exceptional HVAC work and some of the first dice/LN2 pots. They hold up better today than most people would expect.

Yea... also Jason. I've tried very very simple + cheap GPU pots but for me.... I swear at and by MousePots If a MousePot doesnt fit a GPU... I dont freeze the GPU

Fatty and Johann in the UK- those guys did a lot of good phase and cascade work. Now moved back to Aus and S.A. resp.

Tyrou..... ripped things up in the X1900/ X1950? days... not heard so much from him since.

Waus? Esdee..... man I could go on for hours

All these guys added something to the hobby and chipped in to get it where it is today.....even if they didnt know it at the time
    Last edited by K404; 09-28-2009 at 12:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

NooB MOD
    Man this is a walk down memory lane, big respect goes out to all of you pioneers, you guys made overclocking what it is today
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

all outta gum
    Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    Tyrou..... ripped things up in the X1900/ X1950? days... not heard so much from him since.
    I've seen Tyrou on last year's Cebit, he and Fr3ak were benching Skulltrail at CoolerMaster booth. I think he posted some pics in the Cebit thread.
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

NooB MOD
    K404, do you have contact with Johann? I contacted him to build me a unit very shortly after he arrived back in SA but he has since vanished?
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Banned
    Oppainter = Trifecta man back in the days, my idol!

georgie, your memory is not bad... for your age
    definitely remember these guys and of course OPP, is his usual Tuxedo Avatar, even when he was at Icrontic forums (dont even know what happened to that site now)
    so many names, Catch22 too, he who talked in similar fashion to Jason? macci was also racin with DJ , Digital Jesus, etc etc

Xtreme Member
    I smell some ancient spirit in this thread
    Don't forget guys like baker,bowman,captaincascade who brought cooling to a whole new level

Ker-Pow !
    I remember Icrontic that was what got me started on OCing, I remember coming over here when there was a big split about 3d marking.

Dont forget MRICEE...I think that was his name, back in the abit mobo socket A days.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Nice thread George All are legends for sure

Tom was actely the guy that got me going for 3d back in the days...he was a great help whenever i had quistions. Thx Tom...you are a true legend
    The whole world's hip and thats not cool !

Rip Van Hippy

Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected the expected ?

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

-------------------------

ODOC
    well deserved and needed in these days, where the harmony tends to be a little out of line

I have had the pleassure to meet Tom, his a great and very humble guy.

Thanks to all others, who have carried and pushed forward, to make overclocking what it is today

keep pushing it

Admin
    Ah boy, wonderful thread. Where even to start?

Perhaps we should start with you, George. Who else remembers the Hi-Prommie and the hipro5 modded BH5 with upgraded caps and gigantic heatsinks all over it?

OPP and macci always crossing swords in 01 and 03 and making it look like cake.

And then Pedro and Ricky rewriting 01 scores with the ACPI tweak.

As an AMD guy back then one of my favorites was SAE...ran a ridiculous AXP rig that humbled many a P4C, good to see he's been back lately...

I always loved baker18's crazy single stages, and I was good friends with oc-rookie, who ran his cooling to tremendous success. OPP gave him a hard time, but he fought extremely well.

Can't forget cpulloverclock either, very very knowledgeable guy with some really huge A64 FX stuff.

Another one that many guys probably won't remember is chong345, he was running DI and maybe even LN2 around 7 years ago.

And charlie too of course, still hoping he stops talking politics for a while and comes back to resume pouring LN2

Speaking of LN2, probably the first guy that consistently used it to success for 3D benching was holicho, a Team Japan member. He made people on XS very mad whenever he'd pass OPP. Back then, anything that you couldn't run 24/7 was considered "cheating" by many.

However, I felt like people in general put more time and effort into things in those days. Everyone had good efficiency, even people running on air. Not tweaking 01 properly in those days was a sin. These days it sometimes astounds me how little effort people put into properly pretesting things. Modding everything and running aggressive cooling on GPU's was a given, but these days too much comes too easily IMHO esp when you can just run your cards on air for huge numbers. Things were more sportsmanlike, much unlike today no one would cry when someone popped a backup on them. Both macci and OPP in particular used backups almost every time. Just a part of the game. In general we didn't have as many people trying to claim WR's for anything they could...it was far less driven by marketing in those days than it is today, there was a lot less sponsorship which made things more pleasant IMHO.

And of course, the person probably most to blame for the end of that "era" is none other than Vince for digging graves for single stages and cascades.

P.S. here's something perhaps you'd wish I didn't remember. Noob.

Aussie God
    Tom Holck & OPP I certainly do remember, JCViggen was just before my time...

Great legends indeed!!!
    I still hope one day to see Toms cascade in action!
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

Xtreme XIP
    Woow a trip down to memory Lane , Seriously my Deepest Respect for the pioneers in 3D Benching , Because of OPP and Macci friendly wars in 3D i started Overclocking , well deserved tread and i miss having all the good sportmanship from that time , no jeoulosy no ridicously high BIG EGOS like in todays community , it was always helping each other out even if it meant for you to loose that #1 spot , ahhhhrgg im getting old at 41 years now , most of the youngster wont know about those good ol times , Respect , Honor and admiration its what this tread brings to my mind , Tx for this well deserved tread George.

Angelo.

I still see Highwayman still posting on FM forums from time to time.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Cruncher
    The good ol'boys! Respect!

Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    Respect,

I am still in contact with Opp, he is close by and see him once or twice a year. He still drops by every so often to visit us. I am sure he will still make the XS CES event in Vegas even though he is retired he is still one of us.

I wish JC would have returned after the fallout, we did speak a little afterward but I think there was still some unsaid tension.

Tom still drops by every so often, one of the best.

One name to add to the list is DDTUNG, he has given so much to the community and the world in the DC group besides being on of the top benchers of his time.

Thanks George, most of the new guys need a refresher on the greats of our time.
    DDTUNG was a folding god back in the day! And awesome at finding v-mods!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    hipro, take your attention that some of the new guys know the history. for example me. I'm not extreme and I will never be but I like old school stuff, I saw a lot of the OPP's threads with his "bombs"
    Schedule of Live Extreme Overclocking - info Thread

Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    "My Backup is bigger than Your Backup"

NooB MOD
    Quote Originally Posted by chispy View Post
    Woow a trip down to memory Lane , Seriously my Deepest Respect for the pioneers in 3D Benching , Because of OPP and Macci friendly wars in 3D i started Overclocking , well deserved tread and i miss having all the good sportmanship from that time , no jeoulosy no ridicously high BIG EGOS like in todays community , it was always helping each other out even if it meant for you to loose that #1 spot , ahhhhrgg im getting old at 41 years now , most of the youngster wont know about those good ol times , Respect , Honor and admiration its what this tread brings to my mind , Tx for this well deserved tread George.

Angelo.
    Thanks you Angelo, my sentiments exactly. I was a lurker here for almost two years before signing up and honestly I don't think the scene will ever be the same again.
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Nice topic Hipro

I remember the "Golden Age", with the first battle for the HoF and the first phase-change

If i can i would like to mention a great italian clocker: CarNabY.

I approached to overclock reading yours result and bench and the battle with macci and you, hipro, on 478 platform

Repeat, great ages and great topic George
    EVGA Classified 759 ~ i7 975 EE ES ~ Noctua NH-U12P + 2 x UltraKaze 3000
    Mushkin 998696 BBSE ~ Sapphire BBA 4890 ~ Cosmos S ~ Enermax Revolution 1250

KiSUS
    Amazing thread, very interesting to read about really respectable guys.

I am sure its helps alot to OC-community, because true legends have best efficiency
    Lights, Music, Camera, Action !

To answer the Icrontic question,

My understanding of the blowout was Morton from Icrontic had a problem with people requesting hardware from manufactures. This was an issue so Opp and others left Icrontic along with myself and started XS.

Morton passed away. RIP.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID