Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: i7 920 vs i7 860 direct test comparison

Xtreme Cruncher
    PWM's need active cooling when you are overclocking a quad. I don't buy boards without PWM heatsinks anymore, but in the past, I would just buy a pack of BGA RAMsinks and stick them all over the PWM's. Then apply airflow to the area and you're good to go!
    i7 3970X @ 4500MHz 1.28v
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4x4GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133MHz 9-11-10-27
    Gigabyte Windforce 7970 OC 3-way Crossfire
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    HK 3.0-MCP655-Phobya 400mm rad
    Corsair AX1200i
    Sandisk Exrtreme 240GB
    3x2TB WD Greens for storage
    TT Armor VA8003SWA

Back from the Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by fallwind View Post
    PWM's need active cooling when you are overclocking a quad. I don't buy boards without PWM heatsinks anymore, but in the past, I would just buy a pack of BGA RAMsinks and stick them all over the PWM's. Then apply airflow to the area and you're good to go!
    I agree. I wouldn't get one of the smaller gigabyte boards (w/o heatsinks on the PWMs) either for that particular reason. My P55M-UD4 is holding up just fine even though I ran an x3450 @ 1,45V on it shortly - PWM sinks were getting pretty hot too, I can only imagine what happens to them if they don't have any sinks on them
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post
    I agree. I wouldn't get one of the smaller gigabyte boards (w/o heatsinks on the PWMs) either for that particular reason. My P55M-UD4 is holding up just fine even though I ran an x3450 @ 1,45V on it shortly - PWM sinks were getting pretty hot too, I can only imagine what happens to them if they don't have any sinks on them
    So the basic unwriten rule as I understand it is that PWMs without heatsinks should not be overclocked.

I know this is my rule. I always put heat sinks on there and the a fan!

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    As you can clearly see the damage. Also notice the discolored area , more damage than I though. Obviously something got a little warm and/or just fried. What does everyone think I should do. If EMU had a similar problem on his evga, makes me thing its in the p55 board design or something. I might get it rma'd and sell the mobo when it comes back and sell me X3440

hold on...pics were too big...k think I might have it now. Its easier to see all the detail in the full pic,but I do not know how to get it so these zoom out

This seems to be a problem with some of the 1156 boards.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...d,2436-15.html
    ASUS Rampage IV Extreme / i7 3930k / G.Skill 4x2GB 2133 / Asus HD7970 / Corsair AX1200
    ASUS Maximus V Extreme / i7 3770k / G.Skill 4x4GB 2133 / EVGA GTX Titan SC SLI / Enermax Platimax 1350

I am Addicted!
    Now you guys tell me I guess I didn't even bother to think about it. Hope I can still get it rma'd will let you guys know. Guys over at the burned sosket thread said the same thing.

I doubt my local store has any of those heatsinks and I do not feel like driving 1- 1 1/2 hrs to microcenter. I will see what they have at my local comp store; they have some stuff, but I do not think they have much for ocers

I will get something figured out as I do not want to spend too much on a mobo for p55; otherwise it would have been the same price to get another 920.

Guess I should have went with the UD4 or the Biostar I was originally going to go with. Anyway, I will keep you guys posted on what I do or how the rma turns out. Might be a couple weeks

Back from the Dead
    Even the P55-UD3 is fine.. and that one's really cheap too.
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

I am Addicted!
    The only boards at my local shop are:
    evga: LE $170
    evga SLI: $200
    UD4 micro$150
    Asus P7p55D: $150
    pro:$170

Microcenter will have similar prices. My local shop will only match neweggs pricing; which is basically what I have posted above.

I will have to give this some serious thought while I eat lunch. If I buy a $150-200 board; I might as well sell this setup and go with a 920. The $150 range isn't too bad, might save $20 if I am lucky.

So either I need to suck it up and buy a new mobo now (too impatient) and end up paying for 920 performance for the same price. or suck it up and order one today and have mid next week. Sell what I have and get a 920 setup, or just RMA this board and wait a couple weeks or so and also buy some heatsinks

I really want this up and running again(this weekend) but I guess it woldn't kill me to wait, but I will be gone for a week after this coming week

What do you guys think? I know some of you get impatient as I do

Da Goose
    This is with the Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P ...Note the low volts. Haven't tried more than 4Ghz yet. I want the mobo to at least make it 48hrs old...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4Ghz.jpg 
Views:	536 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	97961   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP1M.jpg 
Views:	515 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	97962  

i7-860 Farm with nVidia GPU's

I am Addicted!
    Nice and funny DAK! Glad to see you at 1.3v I probably could have used your voltage, but I would still have had my issues, since my dumb a** didn't even think about the pwms frying. Now to decide on what option is best for me. lunch is over and still no final decision

Back from the Dead
    evga: LE $170
    evga SLI: $200
    UD4 micro$150
    Asus P7p55D: $150
    pro:$170
    From that list, I'd definitely take the UD4.

I am Addicted!
    Thanks Jcool; I was kind of leaning towards it. I found that after rebate and cb I can get the evga le for $118. initial price of $150online. I also have luck with Biostar, but have to order online as well.

I have a stupid question though. most of the budget boards are 16x/4x. Does this mean there is no sli support at all? main reason why I ask is cause if you run 2 gpu's for gpugrid; I believe the new boinc and drivers require sli to run more than 1 gpu. I could be totally wrong, but I think my x58 rig with all the latest versions of drivers/boinc require sli to run multiple gpu's. Unless thats when they were doing cuda 2.3.

I will only be running 1 gpu for the moment,, I am just trying to think about in a month or so when I add another gpu.

I am just trying to figure out the best option; now wondering if I need a 8x/8x mobo? However the UD4 micro has 8x/8x, but is also $150 plus tax=approx $160 There are other 8x/8x boards for $135 mark

Bottom line for the moment is whats the best sub $200 mobo to go with? preferrably sub $170 and do I even need 8x/8x? Thanks

Da Goose
    Note the built in PWM heatsinks.
    Bottom line for the moment is whats the best sub $200 mobo to go with? preferrably sub $170 and do I even need 8x/8x? Thanks

The UDP also support SLI or Crossfire. Meets your sub $170 requirements.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pwm.jpg 
Views:	517 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	97966  

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    Thanks Jcool; I was kind of leaning towards it. I found that after rebate and cb I can get the evga le for $118. initial price of $150online. I also have luck with Biostar, but have to order online as well.

I have a stupid question though. most of the budget boards are 16x/4x. Does this mean there is no sli support at all? main reason why I ask is cause if you run 2 gpu's for gpugrid; I believe the new boinc and drivers require sli to run more than 1 gpu. I could be totally wrong, but I think my x58 rig with all the latest versions of drivers/boinc require sli to run multiple gpu's. Unless thats when they were doing cuda 2.3.
    I ran 2 GTX 260s on a AMD chipset board with no problems. AMD chipset cannot do SLI. I have read nothing anywhere that has said SLI is required. You should be fine.

I am Addicted!
    K, thanks guys.

I did play with my X58 board: SLI is not needed, but would require dummy plugs or just another cable to the monitor. I guess since this is the wifes computer and her monitor supports dvi and vga, I would not have a problem in the future on a non-sli board.

I really want to get this back up, but best price locally is roughly $160 including tax for the P55m-UD4. looks like a great board with the heatsinks and supports SLi. I just have a hard time kicking myself to pay $160 locally when I get get other boards online for the same or less. Basically I can get either non-sli or sli boards for about $115-$130 range online. Is the xtra $30 for being impatient worth the cost I could even get the full UD4P for $160 and I can get this micro for $20-30 less online. I hate this

Also just to note. I found an article on anandtech that said they ran the UD2 @1.36v up to 1.375v with no issues. They did not run and fans either, maybe I got a bunk board, maybe they didn't run theirs long enough, I dont know.
    Last edited by INFRNL; 10-10-2009 at 02:09 PM.

Da Goose
    I understand impatient...That's my calling card...

Back from the Dead
    Do you have the space for a full size ATX board? If so, the UD3 is your cheapest option I guess. I've had one here until yesterday, and it made a pretty solid impression to me. Of course, the UD4 has more PWM phases than both the UD2 and ID3, so I'm guessing the safe choice would be the UD4 and up.

As for Anandtech, well - they didn't crunch 24/7, obviously
    Whole otehr story than just "running it at XXX volts"

Xtreme Cruncher
    OK some more results this sunday night!

Have run acouple more configurations of the computers but I am moving away from matching the QPI's as that wasnt possible on this P55 motherboard.

Here are two more screens:
    860 @ 2.8GHz (stock settings and QPI of 2400MHz and NB of 2400MHz)

920 @ 2.8GHz (stock settings with Turbo on ie 21 multi and QPI of 2400MHz and NB of 3730MHz)

The total runtime of the 860 (for the same 24WUs) is 139:56:36 which is 5:49:52 per WU avg

The total runtime of the 920 (for the same 24WUs) is 133:16:26 which is 5:33:11 per WU avg

I'm keeping a table of all my results so I should be able to make up a fancy chart at some point!

In the meantime I am running the 920 at 2.8GHz with QPI of 3200 and NB of 3730 the 860 is running at 2.8GHz with a reduced QPI of 2130MHz and a NB of 2400MHz. So more results should be in by tomorrow.

Oh and I am coming back for my pie fellas so look out!

How are you going Bob?

INFRNL did you manage to get a replacement mobo in the end. I am sorry to hear that its dead. Maybe these 860s arent destined to be 4GHz crunchers. Maybe more like 3.5-3.7GHz crunchers with low power consumption! The 860 is running at 40DegC on realtemp under water whilst crunching flatout.
    Last edited by emuexport; 10-11-2009 at 03:55 AM.

XS WCG Hamster Herder
    I've got the 920 at 4 gig now and I'm going to make a run with my same set of WUs. This is to show what the difference 300MHz of bclk, and it's associated NB and QPI increase, makes for the 920.

The next point I'm going to with both of them is 3.4. (That will be +/- 300 MHz from my start clock of 3.7 gig.) This will give me three points on the 920 and two on the 860, since it ain't going to 4 gig. I want to get a closer feel for clock on performance. Maybe we can use the data to better refine jcool's performance formula and see if the 860 fits in that same formula.

I can see that if we keep up with this, we could build a formula that has multiple terms for bclk, QPI, Mem, and NB freqs. Not sure how practically useful it would be, but I think it could be done.

Interesting results on your last test. The 920 was significantly faster. It's RAM is running faster and the NB is significantly higher. That's the only difference I see. If so, can we attribute the 16 minute difference to RAM and NB? Thoughts anyone? If so, we now know it makes a significant difference. More than I would have thought.

Regards,
    Bob
    If You ain't Crunching, you ain't Xtreme enough. Go Here
    Help cure CANCER, MS, AIDS, and other diseases.
    ....and don't let your GPU sit there bored...Crunch or Fold on it!!
    Go Here, Or Here

Xtreme Member
    Can you guys tell me what gadget is this? I see RJR using it

CPU: i7-860 @4GHZ
    Mobo: eVGA P55-FTW
    RAM: 4Gigs G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)
    Cooler: CORSAIR H50 (Water)
    PSU: Antec TruePower TP-750 750W
    GPU: XFX 5850 Unlocked @ 950x1170 1.2v
    Case: Cooler Master HAF-932

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxDieselxXx View Post
    Can you guys tell me what gadget is this? I see RJR using it
    A clock
    XS WCG: Voiding warranties for a good cause. Join us!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artemm View Post
    A clock
    I knew that was coming

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxDieselxXx View Post
    I knew that was coming
    it had to be done

Anyway, that looks like mCPU meter. One of the few (only?) that can actually detect threads as opposed to physical cores. I wouldn't run it under a dedicated cruncher, though, as it just takes up overhead.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks chief!

Back from the Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by 123bob View Post
    I

Interesting results on your last test. The 920 was significantly faster. It's RAM is running faster and the NB is significantly higher. That's the only difference I see. If so, can we attribute the 16 minute difference to RAM and NB? Thoughts anyone? If so, we now know it makes a significant difference. More than I would have thought.

Regards,
    Bob
    My guess is that HFCC does care about ram performance, while HCC does not care in the slightest.

No clue about the other projects.

Hooray, this just got more complicated

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post
    My guess is that HFCC does care about ram performance, while HCC does not care in the slightest.

No clue about the other projects.

Hooray, this just got more complicated
    I see rigs tuned for specific projects on the horizon, lol.

Get ready to build 10 rigs specifically for each project depending on what kind of performance it demands

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast