Thread: The Story of Stone Soup

Xtreme Cruncher

The Story of Stone Soup

The Story of Stone Soup

Once upon a time, somewhere in post-war Eastern Europe, there was a great famine in which people jealously hoarded whatever food they could find, hiding it even from their friends and neighbors. One day a wandering soldier came into a village and began asking questions as if he planned to stay for the night.

"There's not a bite to eat in the whole province," he was told. "Better keep moving on."

"Oh, I have everything I need," he said. "In fact, I was thinking of making some stone soup to share with all of you." He pulled an iron cauldron from his wagon, filled it with water, and built a fire under it. Then, with great ceremony, he drew an ordinary-looking stone from a velvet bag and dropped it into the water.

By now, hearing the rumor of food, most of the villagers had come to the square or watched from their windows. As the soldier sniffed the "broth" and licked his lips in anticipation, hunger began to overcome their skepticism.

"Ahh," the soldier said to himself rather loudly, "I do like a tasty stone soup. Of course, stone soup with cabbage -- that's hard to beat."

Soon a villager approached hesitantly, holding a cabbage he'd retrieved from its hiding place, and added it to the pot. "Capital!" cried the soldier. "You know, I once had stone soup with cabbage and a bit of salt beef as well, and it was fit for a king."

The village butcher managed to find some salt beef . . . and so it went, through potatoes, onions, carrots, mushrooms, and so on, until there was indeed a delicious meal for all. The villagers offered the soldier a great deal of money for the magic stone, but he refused to sell and traveled on the next day. The moral is that by working together, with everyone contributing what they can, a greater good is achieved.

Da Goose
    Nice post PG

i7-860 Farm with nVidia GPU's

Xtreme Cruncher
    I thought this was going to be the story of creating a 'stone soup' cruncher !

How about that as a new year project ? We could all build one ! Someone would volunteer to host the creature(s), and we could pitch in parts ! We could set it (them?) up under a unique user name so we could all see the benefits of our collective contribution.
    I've got some bits around here I would contribute. Who has cheap, long-term electricity ?

Of course, eventually these things become obsolete, perhaps the host(s) would agree to eventually ebay the old stuff and either use the proceeds to buy new parts for a new stone soup cruncher or donate it directly to a charity.

don_xvi helps find cures for cancer, AIDS and West Nile, among other research !
    Donald A. Perlick helps find cures for Alzheimer's, cancer, and Parkinson's, among other research !

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by don_xvi View Post
    I thought this was going to be the story of creating a 'stone soup' cruncher !

How about that as a new year project ? We could all build one ! Someone would volunteer to host the creature(s), and we could pitch in parts ! We could set it (them?) up under a unique user name so we could all see the benefits of our collective contribution.
    I've got some bits around here I would contribute. Who has cheap, long-term electricity ?

Of course, eventually these things become obsolete, perhaps the host(s) would agree to eventually ebay the old stuff and either use the proceeds to buy new parts for a new stone soup cruncher or donate it directly to a charity.
    Then make it so.

THAT is the point of the story. I posted the story. You had an idea of what to do with it. Let's see what others come up with.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I heard this story a long time ago when I was running a fractal program, Fractint, under Linux. I do not know if the program is still around but the group of programmers was The Stone Soup Group.

The point in my posting was it does not matter what you have or do not have, it is what you bring to the pot. When everyone brings what the have you end up with something greater than the parts. My resources are limited but I bring what I can. Many will have greater than I. But combined with yours we have something.

Xtreme Addict
    I've heard this story (for the first time) about 30 years ago,
    the soldier used his hatchet instead
    The morale is the same of course,even if the soup is slightly
    different

World Community Grid's mission is to create the world's largest public computing grid to tackle projects that benefit humanity.
    Our success depends upon individuals collectively contributing their unused computer time to change the world for the better.

Xtreme Cruncher
    There are many variations. That one was my favorite.