Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 5870 whining

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by JaYp146 View Post
    Sadly, you're going to have to tough it out. I still find it rather pathetic ATi has let this problem persist for so many generations of cards ... every single video card I've owned since my X1950XTX has whined under load.
    Some of us haven't had a problem with our ATi.
    I know Nvidia cards have the same problem... My 8800GTS(G92) whined pretty bad.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Member
    There are several causes of the whine being described in this thread. It is not always due to the designer :P

First of all, voltage regulators can be perfectly functional and emit the "whine".

Inductors can create the sounds from physical oscillations (vibrations) caused by EMF. In circuits like switching power supplies, LC oscillators, and PLLs, this can be common, although not always within the frequency range of human hearing (poor dogs).

Shorts may damage components and make them produce a squeal that they previously did not; this is sometimes a sign of a dying card. A switching power supply, without a logical enable, can keep power cycling due to excess load conditions (though it often produces a slightly different sound).

It can also be caused by component failure. Capacitors may internally short, thus failing to maintain the DC conditions on a voltage rail. The subsequent oscillations may cause a shorted electrolytic capacitor to squeal.

The best way to reduce it, is to apply a non-conductive adhesive to the component in question, which will hopefully lessen the vibrations. Sometimes the whine is much worse than it has to be, because of a manufacturing issue that has caused an inductor/transformer to not be seated properly. Without proper retention, the component may vibrate much more violently.

The first power supply I ever made sang like a banshee, although it functioned. By redesigning the output stage, I was luckily able to make the squeal inaudible

Xtreme Enthusiast
    PS in another computer makes a high variable pitch squeal. Most of the time I forget it is there except when waiting to respawn ha ha. Sounds like an ultra sonic jewelry cleaner.

Xtreme Member
    try it in another computer if it whines there then its the power on the graphics card but if it does not whine then its your PSU

hope this helps mate good luck with your 5870
    FX-8350

Xtreme Cruncher
    ati cards whine? i thought they had something on them to prevent it

the nvidia solution is soak the card in nail polish

Q9300 [Crunch] / XFX GTX285 [Fold] / EVGA 750i
    Two 250GB 7200 / 4GB XMS2 800 / 1Kw XPS PSU / Freezer Pro 7
    10,797 3DMark Vantage / Scythe 120mm Case fans / Vista U. 64
    PS3 - 700 Work Units and going strong!, XPS 720 H2C Case
    Crunching 24/7 on Q9300....might upgrade to an i7

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTSRboy View Post
    ati cards whine? i thought they had something on them to prevent it

the nvidia solution is soak the card in nail polish
    The only whine I see from the HD5870 is coming from nvidia devotees
    CPU: i7 860 4000Mhz 1.3v
    MoBO: GA-P55-UD5
    RAM: GSkill RipJaws 800 7.7.7.
    HdD: Seagate 7200.11 500Gb
    CoOlinG: Noctua 12P
    VGa: Gigabyte HD6870
    PSu: Silverstone 550W

Sad to hear that the whine is still present on the 5870... I owned a Diamond 4890 and everytime I would scroll a web page it would whine. It got very annoying. I tried my old GeForce 8600 card. No whine... Went out and traded the Diamond 4890 for a eVGA GeForce GTX 295 CO-OP and I have no whine... Hate hearing the new offerings still suffer from the whine. Out of curiousity. What brand is the whining coming from? Any certain brand?

Xtreme Mentor
    maybe arnold can help! haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL1lfSzgcAw
    FX-8350(1249PGT) @ 4.7ghz 1.452v, Swiftech H220x
    Asus Crosshair Formula 5 Am3+ bios v1703
    G.skill Trident X (2x4gb) ~1200mhz @ 10-12-12-31-46-2T @ 1.66v
    MSI 7950 TwinFrozr *1100/1500* Cat.14.9
    OCZ ZX 850w psu
    Lian-Li Lancool K62
    Samsung 830 128g
    2 x 1TB Samsung SpinpointF3, 2T Samsung
    Win7 Home 64bit
    My Rig

Excuse the pun
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STOPWHINING.JPG 
Views:	164 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	97870  

Really, it is quite funny to see people say that ATI is the only manufacture with this problem, and realy its not a problem it occurs when load is placed on vr's or even when they are operating normally.

My BFX 8800 GT did this, my XFX 7600 GT also had a whine, as did my X1950 XTX

My 4870's do not whine.

5870 will be here some time next week and although that is going into the Q6600 build (X3 720 is actually my gaming rig and the Q6600 is the media center/gaming rig)

I'll look for a whine on the 5870 and see if it is present there.

The X3 720 is getting dual 5850's in the future and my brothers X3 720 which will be here tomorrow will get the 4870's in crossfire - So i will even check for a whine in the seperate machine, i'll install the 5870 in all 3 machines just to test also.

Might as well

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123