View Poll Results: Would you buy an external box?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes..

12 22.22%
  • Yes but only if it kicks butt

8 14.81%
  • maybe, see what you got first

22 40.74%
  • No thanks... externals are gay...

12 22.22%

Thread: Whats your take on external box?

Xtreme Addict

Whats your take on external box?

Actually the question is:

If you can have performance and silence at the same time, would you consider an external box?

Im thinking of making an external box to sell and I just want to see how people feel about them... Im not going to get into details cos its something different, something that will push ~ 200cfm quietly and ~650cfm (total) not too quietly ( but very bearable ) measured 1" from the radiator outflow ...

Size will be like a mid tower case, this is the only thing i dont like about it but unfortunately it has to be this size ( 17" x 17" x 9" )... For posters, id really appreciate feedback towards the size, if you care or dont care having 2 cases ... Would it be better if I make it size of a full tower to match what you already have? Any other thoughts will be appreciated.. Thanks
    Last edited by luihed; 09-22-2009 at 08:41 AM.
    E8400 DFI LP P35T2R Ballistix

8800GTS PCP&C 1.2kw Raptors

E6600 =5400mhz
    E6700=5680mhz
    QX9650= 6000mhz

Xtreme Member
    i personally prefer integrated/internal
    i realize it probably doesn't perform as well but it's so gd sexy when it's done well

Chasing After Diety
    Members here have taken a Mountain Mods Pinacle, and Pedistool, and made them into external boxes of some sort.

My pedistool is a sub unit from my main unit which has most of my h2o stuff.

Id say it would depend on your objective. But external boxes if made nice can be bling.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Addict
    I like external's myself (I use one myself), but their main appeal is that you're not constrained by case layout, and can guarantee them cool air. But at the same time, if you're going to the trouble, they should be worth the trouble and occupied deskspace. Personally, I wouldn't have bothered going to all the trouble for a measly triple rad setup - these days, there are plenty of case options that will let you do that internally. QD's between box and case are a definite must.
    i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | GTX Titan | Corsair DDR3-2133

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MpG View Post
    But at the same time, if you're going to the trouble, they should be worth the trouble and occupied deskspace.
    lol, thats what the wall and brackets are for!

i like/built an external systems, also i NEED, external with 3 triple rads and 2 pumps.

i saw go for it. though mine wasn't for silence as i run 18 fans push pull. but they are quiet at 5v.

EDIT: i didn't read the poll properly, i didn't realize it said buy a prebuilt one. i vote yes for building your own.
    Last edited by Spawn-Inc; 09-22-2009 at 04:11 PM.
    CPU: Core2Quad q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (highest so far 4.2GHz)
    GPU: XFX 9800GTX @ 850/1230
    Ram: Samsung 4GB (4x1GB) 700MHz PC5300
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32)
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt DxX
    HDD:WD5001AALS, ST3250410AS, ST3500410AS, ST3500320AS - 1.75TB
    DVD: LG H26N,LG GH20LS10 both sata
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500/Razor Barracuda HP-1 / AC-1
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v
    3Dmark06:17,814 AquaMark:190,865

Xtreme Addict
    I might be interested in building one myself, I'm not against them, but half the fun of this hobby, for me anywy, is building the stuff. I don't know about you guys but I always get a little bit of a "come down" when ever I finish a build, because I have so much fun while doing it.

That's my 3 cents

Xtreme Addict
    I would have the same issue as others that I wouldn't personally buy one that was premade as I would want to make my own. i think an external box with disconnects would be a lot easier on those who change out hardware often to work with as it would involve a lot less work to change out parts than with all internal setup. I however haven't been crazy at the extra space that an external box will take up and have gone just with internal setups so far.

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks for the input guys.. I knew it will be a hard sell here cos i wouldnt buy one from anybody myself, heck i wont even buy ln2 pots from anybody .... Since Ive wasted enough time and energy already Im still going to make a few for every one hardcore like you theres a newb that can get to wc easier,gotta be a few at [H]

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn-Inc View Post

i like/built an external systems, also i NEED, external with 3 triple rads and 2 pumps.

i saw go for it. though mine wasn't for silence as i run 18 fans push pull. but they are quiet at 5v.
    18 fans thats like 17 more than my box... Thats the kind of setup I wanted to test against both at low speed and high... not insulting your setup by any means but Im just curios cos one of the reason I made this project is because I see setup like yours... again I have nothing against system like yours, I actually think fans looks cool, makes a more exciting looking comp

might be interested in building one myself, I'm not against them, but half the fun of this hobby, for me anywy, is building the stuff. I don't know about you guys but I always get a little bit of a "come down" when ever I finish a build, because I have so much fun while doing it.

That's my 3 cents
    Same for me...but this one time, buy one cos it might give you the same feeling, youll never know if you keep making your own .. (j/k)

Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    Members here have taken a Mountain Mods Pinacle, and Pedistool, and made them into external boxes of some sort.

My pedistool is a sub unit from my main unit which has most of my h2o stuff.

Id say it would depend on your objective. But external boxes if made nice can be bling.
    Ive been out of the loop for a bit , ill take a look at those and see what they have... If anything , this project of mine gave me an excuse to buy a new rig... cept I just got the core I7 just when the new platform came out lol...

One more question to all you external users, do you put your box right beside your main case, as in side by side? Im assuming yes but how important is it that theyre beside each other?
    E8400 DFI LP P35T2R Ballistix

8800GTS PCP&C 1.2kw Raptors

E6600 =5400mhz
    E6700=5680mhz
    QX9650= 6000mhz

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by luihed View Post

One more question to all you external users, do you put your box right beside your main case, as in side by side? Im assuming yes but how important is it that theyre beside each other?
    If I had one I would put it on the other side of the wall and run the hoses through the wall and back up to my rig, not sure my neighbor would like a rad box under his kitchen table though. ; )

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by luihed View Post
    Personally, I've got mine behind my monitor - making use of the dead space most people have when you use a corner desk. My tower is on the floor under the desk - by my legs.

e.g. (before I painted it):

Dimensions (for reference - looking end on where from the pipe side) are 25cm x 37cm x 55cm (w x h x d).

That's enough space for two PS120.3s, two DDCs, a fan controller and a MCRES. You could probably make it smaller if a) you used metal and not wood and b) had better skills than me

J

I am Xtreme
    I'd rather go with an internal solution due to looks and space reasons. But depends on what you've got ofc!
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

I have built my own external case, and I'm really glad i did. Granted my workshop skills could use some more practice, but it was fun. Now my next project is getting my py a new home.
    I have changed to a mini atx mobo, moved the harddisks to my NAS so i only have 1 ssd disk, so i want a case as small as possible preferably horisontal for my pc. The ni use quick disconnects to the external case.

My hope is that when my girlfriend and I move to a new house sometime next year, that i can place my radbox in the room next to where i work and crank up for the fans etc.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I personally can't go back to water unless i can get an external set and the mountain mod's route is hilariously expensive. I would love to see something like the waterkeg again even if it just held a radiator as long as it stayed under 150. if you wanna show me what you've got in a pm I'm sure id be interested. As much as i love doing this myself it's not easy to get access to the equipment I'd need to do it myself.
    Last edited by Wiggy McShades; 09-27-2009 at 12:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    real men like the idea of packing lots of stuff into a very small space, which is what the mac mini is
    ----------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Baron_Davis View Post
    PS. I'm even tougher IRL.