Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seriously - revoke my ATI forum access???

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    I tried being apologetic, I sent a nice PM to vapor explaining the situation and being very polite (probably a week after I came back from my ban)

needless to say I was dismissed and told I had a permanent revocation of access - I then continued to contest and was ignored. If someone had even told me that I even had the chance to get access back I wouldn't have said stuff....

I hold no bad feelings toward you Snipe.

You are a passionate posted, rather like myself. I actually think 'strong opposite ends of the pole' like you and myself can co-exist, now that we know exactly what we are risking.

I am willing to exchange differences of opinions with you again. I kind of enjoy it as long as we don't get into an insult game, which I now think is a thing of the past.

I love spirited debates, with out any personal attacks or name calling.
    Last edited by Talonman; 09-25-2009 at 06:19 PM.
    Asus Maximus SE X38 / Lapped Q6600 G0 @ 3.8GHz (L726B397 stock VID=1.224) / 7 Ultimate x64 /EVGA GTX 295 C=650 S=1512 M=1188 (Graphics)/ EVGA GTX 280 C=756 S=1512 M=1296 (PhysX)/ G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) / Gateway FPD2485W (1920 x 1200 res) / Toughpower 1,000-Watt modular PSU / SilverStone TJ-09 BW / (2) 150 GB Raptor's RAID-0 / (1) Western Digital Caviar 750 GB / LG GGC-H20L (CD, DVD, HD-DVD, and BlueRay Drive) / WaterKegIII Xtreme / D-TEK FuZion CPU, EVGA Hydro Copper 16 GPU, and EK NB S-MAX Acetal Waterblocks / Enzotech Forged Copper CNB-S1L (South Bridge heat sink)

why even bother un banning him then? Seems pretty stupid to allow him to log into the forum but not be aloud to post anywhere important. And no offense to anyone here at XS and i want this to come across in the most respectful way possible but forcing out your top contributers from the community is not a good idea when you compare the traffic here to other tech forums........just my 2 cents

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
    I find it funny that so many people are saying things like "someone with that many posts" or "someone that's been around for so long"

The rules don't discriminate. No favoritism. I'd think at least you guys would value the fact that even if the rules are harsh, everyone is treated equally. (And fairly, at least in my opinion)

I think it would be a lot less fair if somehow people with x amount of posts or more suddenly were exempt, wouldn't you?
    The only thing I would like to say is long time members, that have posted some valuable threads here, might be given some special consideration.

By such threads being posted, has probably enticed some new members to join. That can only be good for the site...

I agree it shouldn't be a wild-card to excuse all bad behavior, but it still should be considered part of the equation when calculating the +'s and -'s to a members total value here.
    Asus Maximus SE X38 / Lapped Q6600 G0 @ 3.8GHz (L726B397 stock VID=1.224) / 7 Ultimate x64 /EVGA GTX 295 C=650 S=1512 M=1188 (Graphics)/ EVGA GTX 280 C=756 S=1512 M=1296 (PhysX)/ G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) / Gateway FPD2485W (1920 x 1200 res) / Toughpower 1,000-Watt modular PSU / SilverStone TJ-09 BW / (2) 150 GB Raptor's RAID-0 / (1) Western Digital Caviar 750 GB / LG GGC-H20L (CD, DVD, HD-DVD, and BlueRay Drive) / WaterKegIII Xtreme / D-TEK FuZion CPU, EVGA Hydro Copper 16 GPU, and EK NB S-MAX Acetal Waterblocks / Enzotech Forged Copper CNB-S1L (South Bridge heat sink)

Admin
    I tried being apologetic, I sent a nice PM to vapor explaining the situation and being very polite (probably a week after I came back from my ban)

needless to say I was dismissed and told I had a permanent revocation of access - I then continued to contest and was ignored. If someone had even told me that I even had the chance to get access back I wouldn't have said stuff....
    Let's lay out, in a little more detail, what really occurred.

1) you were banned by Gautam and you've had multiple infractions.
    2) as we do with almost all News-related bans, I pulled News access.
    3) during your ban, at another forum, you said "guatam got his panties in a bunch" (ouch)
    4) you returned.
    5) you PM'd Gautam asking for him to restore your News access--at the very end of the PM there was an insincere "sorry about the incident"
    6) you then went to Ashraf, who pointed you to me (after all, I was the one who pulled access).
    7) you asked for access back and said you were willing to comply to any restrictions we would place on you. There was no apology anywhere in the PM. (you were, notably, looking for permission to view the forum, even if you couldn't post)
    8) I replied that giving you only viewing permissions is a bit complicated (need to make a special usergroup for you) and that suggested you log out to read it or use an incognito/private browsing mode...I ended my PM with "As of now, there's no timetable for restoring News access." This is still the case with most News access revocations (only a few have earned the "permanent" title).
    9) You replied asking for access with verbal restrictions (i.e., if you flame/flamebait, you're banned).
    10) I did not reply...you were already given restrictions, those restrictions are "No access to News"
    11) some time later, News revocations were grandfathered into the new ATi/nVidia sections.
    12) you made this thread.

I want to highlight a few of those points above and discuss them further....first is number three. That right there totally killed any chances you might have had of getting access back in a timely manner. A lot of us read around multiple sites. We see stuff and we saw that.

Second, your PMs were, at best, motions to go through the process to get access back. Your sole apology was an insincere sign off on a PM. We don't want you to brown nose, but sincerity goes a long way.

Third, your requests were getting bigger and bigger...first you just wanted access so you could read and subscribe, and by the end you wanted carte blanche access and promised you wouldn't flame/flamebait. It was very off-putting; you wanted restrictions but clearly couldn't live with the one you already had: no News access.

Fourth, you were never told it was permanent. I explicitly said, "As of now, there's no timetable for restoring News access."

Fifth, threads like this never help your case.

Royal Administrator
    Talonman, for your case, your apology is accepted, but don't expect that you will get your access back any sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Is there no way to block users from posting but allow them to at least view the threads in the forum? (Like the FS section.)
    If we got it done like the FS section, then it would affect all users, not just SNiiPE_DoGG.

Engineering The Xtreme
    who are you to tell me how sincere I am in typed text sorry my writing style doesn't perfectly express my feelings....

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    Let's lay out, in a little more detail, what really occurred.

1) you were banned by Gautam and you've had multiple infractions.
    2) as we do with almost all News-related bans, I pulled News access.
    3) during your ban, at another forum, you said "guatam got his panties in a bunch" (ouch)
    4) you returned.
    5) you PM'd Gautam asking for him to restore your News access--at the very end of the PM there was an insincere "sorry about the incident"
    6) you then went to Ashraf, who pointed you to me (after all, I was the one who pulled access).
    7) you asked for access back and said you were willing to comply to any restrictions we would place on you. There was no apology anywhere in the PM. (you were, notably, looking for permission to view the forum, even if you couldn't post)
    8) I replied that giving you only viewing permissions is a bit complicated (need to make a special usergroup for you) and that suggested you log out to read it or use an incognito/private browsing mode...I ended my PM with "As of now, there's no timetable for restoring News access." This is still the case with most News access revocations (only a few have earned the "permanent" title).
    9) You replied asking for access with verbal restrictions (i.e., if you flame/flamebait, you're banned).
    10) I did not reply...you were already given restrictions, those restrictions are "No access to News"
    11) some time later, News revocations were grandfathered into the new ATi/nVidia sections.
    12) you made this thread.
    13) you get ban from XS for good

nothing against you sniipe im only trying to point out the fact your drilling holes in your own boat...there already a lot of water in it, dont add to it
    your only making it worst maybe just pm the mods/admins and not spread this into a thread
    you seem like a good guy but everyone makes mistakes and they have to face the consequences of thous mistakes
    just my 2cent

I am Xtreme
    I can sort of understand. I've gotten pissed off about things too but a lot of that has to do with not understanding the reasoning behind certain decisions, actions and even inaction. I'm guilty of that too. I forget people can't read my mind. But there have been times when I thought a little communication would not have gone amiss.

I'm not taking sides. I'm just saying that in such situations, no one is ever COMPLETELY blameless. From what Vapor has said, it does seem like you were tempting fate. And you have to understand that the people who volunteer here also have lives - well, you know - sorta (kidding ). They're not going to go out of their way to explain things that at least from their point of view should be abundantly obvious.

I understand the value of being a hard-ass when it comes to keeping the troops in line, but I do think there are times when less is more.

Xtreme CCIE
    Quote Originally Posted by SinAugustus View Post
    why even bother un banning him then? Seems pretty stupid to allow him to log into the forum but not be aloud to post anywhere important.
    I can see how you're coming to this conclusion and I want to address it because others likely will as well.

Being able to contribute at XS is a privilege, not a right. When an offender is banned they lose all privileges. It is then an act of good faith on the part of the admins to restore privileges to the offender when their ban is up, and I would contend that even restricted access is an increase in privileges for a banned person and therefore something they should be thankful to have. Obviously they will not be as happy as they could have been, but privileges are earned.

Although to some people XS only exists for the News and/or nVidia and ATI sections, there are many other sections to XS that I for one think we couldn't do without. One example that I sit pretty close to is the Network and Security subforum. You may not be aware, but a small handful of regular contributors in that section have high-level positions in the networking or security industries and likely gross a collective total of at least half a million a year in salary alone - all working for free to help anyone with a network problem of any size or complexity. And that is nowhere near our largest subforum.

Quote Originally Posted by SinAugustus View Post
    And no offense to anyone here at XS and i want this to come across in the most respectful way possible but forcing out your top contributers from the community is not a good idea when you compare the traffic here to other tech forums........just my 2 cents
    I do not think it would be fair to say that anyone is "forcing out your top contributers from the community". Members, especially top contributors, are Xtremely likely to receive at least one warning before they lose access. If they decide to ignore warnings and continue on their path they are forcing themselves out. It is their decision all the way.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashraf View Post
    Talonman, for your case, your apology is accepted, but don't expect that you will get your access back any sooner.

If we got it done like the FS section, then it would affect all users, not just SNiiPE_DoGG.
    TY!

Xtreme Addict
    Recently, someone was banned and had their News access revoked (in fact, a lot were). At the end of the 7 day ban, he returned and PM'd me, apologized and said it wouldn't happen again, and asked for a clarification whether or not it was a permanent ban or a ban as long as the infraction lasted (which I think was 30 days).

I replied that with good behavior, we'd give him back access in a month or two--and it will probably be on the short end of that range. I'm not going to say who it is since I'm airing his laundry out here (although it is clean laundry)...but if he wants to speak up, he can. His PM seemed genuine and was pretty refreshing.

It was especially refreshing when you consider how many take the opposite approach. Making a thread (whether here or another forum) and calling for blood doesn't work. Saying we're little Hitlers doesn't work. Making alternate accounts during the ban doesn't work (in fact, that just results in longer bans). Remaining calm, apologetic, and sincere does work. In fact, it works really well--there's usually a lot of upside to someone who comes forward and, the first thing they do, apologizes after they break the rules.
    Ok here I am, speaking up per your request.. but you're sounding a bit insincere yourself, Vapor, as you seem to be enjoying those games quite a bit with the tone you're using, ya know?

For those curious, the PM that I sent you was:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Fox
    Hey man, I see how you gave me a 1-week vacation from the entire XS forum, but am asking you to please consider my privilege to post in the news section.

Rommsey managed to get the best of me, but I have only pariticipated in just one 'flame war', ever, out of my 1000+ posts. The infraction was from insulting Rommsey's seeming "sense of hate" (when I posted a PG-rated picture of a donkey arse).

You would probably want to stick with your decision for once and for all, but please consider a second-chance. I honestly think that I have contributed so much to the news section, keeping it as an "up-beat" and fun place with 99.8% of my posts.

Please let me know what you think, my friend.
    As you air the laundry, you seem to be pretty busy writing down the laundry lists! No offense-- it's only for the sake of humor, as I liked yours!

Gautam is showing noble sincerity here.. thanks a bunch, Gautam, a new friend in my book. Since you said you never really posted in the news section in the first place, yeah, I can understand what you mean--but no need to punish yourself if that's what you mean! I bless thy with my anointed rod. (j/k...) How do I say "I love you" without sounding gay??

I'm glad that Fugger is adding new mods here. I trust that the new mods will not be quite so Bantastic! (come on, I've gotta be creative here, Vapor.. take it like a man, eh? I'm the one who's lost a leg here...)
    Last edited by Bo_Fox; 09-26-2009 at 03:17 AM.

--two awesome rigs, wildly customized with
    5.1 Sony speakers, Stereo 3D, UV Tourmaline Confexia, Flame Bl00dr4g3 Fatal1ty
    --SONY GDM-FW900 24" widescreen CRT, overclocked to:
    2560x1600 resolution at 68Hz!(from 2304x1440@80Hz)

Updated List of Video Card GPU Voodoopower Ratings!!!!!

Xtreme Cruncher

QFT.

Xtreme Cruncher
    To me the news thread is becoming what was that section ya took out because of all the arguing? When XS Speak freely was made? That section is what it reminds me of now. Wouldnt hurt my feelings to remove this one...

DySfunCtiOnal MeMbEr
    Why can't people get along.. Its only words and if you don't like it ignore it... Most take things so literally anymore... I guess I was raised a little differently... IMO - Too many people get their feelings hurt... Maybe I'm insensitive but I love reading other people's opinions or points of view - Bad or Good - doesn't matter... Just a thought...
    I can see banning someone for bash others or posting idiotic things on a regulars basis's... But for expressing themselves occasionally....
    Windows 7 64 Bit
    BenQ FP241W Black 24" LCD
    Mountain Mod Case w/ Base
    Asus Rampage III Black Edition
    i9-990x @ 4.58GHz - 1.36v Temps (Idle 23C - Load 48C)
    12GB Corsiar Dominator GT (PC3 15000) @ 9-9-9-24 1T - 1.65v
    Sapphire 5870 x3 "OC" w/ EK Water Block Temps (25C-49C)
    EK-Supreme / 4 Alphacool Laing DDC-Pump Ultras + Extras
    Power Supply / 2x Silver Stone DX1000
    Western Digital 1.0TB x 3
    Crosair SSD 128GB x 2

World Community Grid!

Quote Originally Posted by malkiewicz View Post
    Why can't people get along.. Its only words and if you don't like it ignore it... Most take things so literally anymore... I guess I was raised a little differently... IMO - Too many people get their feelings hurt... Maybe I'm insensitive but I love reading other people's opinions or points of view - Bad or Good - doesn't matter... Just a thought...
    I can see banning someone for bash others or posting idiotic things on a regulars basis's... But for expressing themselves occasionally....
    I agree.

Xtreme Addict
    Bo_Fox, you're a perfect example of how lenient the staff here really is.

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Praz View Post
    Bo_Fox, you're a perfect example of how lenient the staff here really is.
    He never does seem to learn does he?

Quote Originally Posted by road-runner View Post
    To me the news thread is becoming what was that section ya took out because of all the arguing? When XS Speak freely was made? That section is what it reminds me of now. Wouldnt hurt my feelings to remove this one...
    That'd have been the easy way out. Instead we just tightened up the rules and essentially evicted the people in the center of all the fighting.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
    He never does seem to learn does he?

That'd have been the easy way out. Instead we just tightened up the rules and essentially evicted the people in the center of all the fighting.
    Bring... bring the amber lamps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

who are you to tell me how sincere I am in typed text sorry my writing style doesn't perfectly express my feelings....
    wow dude I am dumbfounded at how this thread turned out. I have no idea what happened for you to get banned from a particular subforum, but it is pretty obvious that internet forums are not democracies. If you fight the mods and admins, your time on a forum will be short-lived. You throwing gasoline on the fire with a thread like this will only make it get worse. Assuming you have a history of breaking the rules and getting out of line, I would have just permabanned you already. The guys here are pretty nice and very lenient. You should be thankful.

If you want access, you might get it if you play nice for a while and be sincere in your requests. Otherwise just log out to view or make another screen name (and obviously don't get caught) to view and post. IMO situations like this are best handled via PM.

and where is an "internet is serious business" pic?

PI in the face
    its not a right to be a member here, you play by the rules or gtfo

IMO this thread comes off as fairly childish and whiny and I think you have reached a point no return. no offense though, I dont even know you.
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

DySfunCtiOnal MeMbEr
    Isn't that the point... you can express your opinion like others.... If you think about it - most people whine about others post... It's a vicious cycle....... It's almost like (Do as I say but not as I do)
    Windows 7 64 Bit
    Crosair SSD 128GB x 2

World Community Grid!

This thread is now about pizza.

(poor attempt at derailing the thread - it doesn't seem to be getting anywhere anyway! )
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

DySfunCtiOnal MeMbEr
    I love Pizza.... Hawaiian all the way!!!!!!

Edit.... I just ordered a Pizza because of you (It's 1AM)!!!!
    Last edited by malkiewicz; 09-26-2009 at 08:09 AM.
    Windows 7 64 Bit
    Crosair SSD 128GB x 2

World Community Grid!

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post

(poor attempt at derailing the thread - it doesn't seem to be getting anywhere anyway! )
    i'll take the top right one for me self >

I was banned a long while ago for a few days, but I expected that because of the thread I started even though I was mocking another one. Just ride it out. From what I have seen, having been on the forum for almost 5 years now, is that the Mods/Admins usually seem to be fair in their decisions. Granted I don't know all the details but I don't think XS would have gotten a rep for being a great forum if Mobs/Admins just banned/suspended @ will.

I have talked to a few of the brass here and have gotten the impression that they are reasonable and pretty fair folk (NO I am not kissing ass, making an observation based on experience)
    Last edited by phelan1777; 09-26-2009 at 08:21 AM.
    fermiNow Dave will see FERMI where ever I go
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartlett323 View Post
    So please return to the "Darkside of the Moon" and check your "Pulse" while you wait for the "Animals" that will be "Obscured By Clouds". And watch me wave as I say "Wish You Were Here" in "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post

People need to talk things out...it's human nature.

Even when we totally disagree with someone and have an argument of sorts, we still think about the other persons opinion afterward and maybe change our minds a little.

Being the Kanye West of the 4870x2 is another matter though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast