Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: OCCT Perestroika - 3.0.0.b04 released ! Stable : 2.0.1

Xtreme Member

Talking OCCT Perestroika - 3.0.0.b04 released ! Stable : 2.0.1

As asked by alot of forum members, here's a thread dedicated to OCCT and its future updates. I'll post betas and stable versions here !

Please feel free to post comments, bug reports, as well as evolutions you'd like to see in OCCT. I'm usually very open to those suggestions, and you'll almost always get an answer

Oh, please excuse any spelling mistake i make, English isn't my native language

For people working on PC news website and such : PLEASE DO NOT MAKE A NEWS ON BETAS ! I prefer you to spread the info about the stable versions only

OCCT PT has been around for 2 years now, and was recently almost completly redone. It gave birth to :

OCCT PT 3.0.0.beta !

What's new ?

5 Tests
    • CPU OCCT : The classical OCCT CPU tests. The modes "CPU, RAM, and Mix" have been renamed to match more closely their roles to "Low, Medium and Large data sets".
    • Linpack : The very same test that Intel Burn Test, based on an Intel library, that will make your CPU hotter than never before.
    • GPU 3D : OCCT GPU, a home-made 3d program that will make your GPU hotter than anything else (even furmark), and sports an error-checking mode just as ATITool.
    • GPU Memtest : A GPU memory memtest based on CUDA. Very useful as well, but in practice, it is better at detecting manufacturing errors, and not overclocking errors.
    • Power Supply : This test is actually Linpack combined with OCCT GPU. It aims at loading your power supply, and results shows that it uses 20% more power than Crysis and 25% than 3dmark BEWARE, THIS TEST IS REALLY HARD ON YOUR POWER SUPPLY, IT COULD MELT IT EASILY ! DO NOT USE IT IF YOU HAVE A "NO NAME" POWER SUPPLY !

GUI
    • Brand new GUI, with alot of options added
    • Help panel : just move your mouse
    • Modularity : you can hide/show the Monitoring/Sysinfo/Help parts

Graphs
    • Graphs have been revamped - they'll show the test configuration in the titles (Resolution for the GPU 3D test, etc...)
    • Another line has been added showing the CPU Usage on CPU tests and Power Supply, and the FPS on the 3d test !

Monitoring
    • Engine was updated, should support more cpus
    • Added GPU temperature monitoring and autodetection
    • The CPU Usage displayed is now instantaneous (just as the task manager) instead of the average since the starts of the test - more meaningful, especially since the graphs shows the CPU usage in time.

And many, many things i am probably forgetting.

KNOWN LIMITATIONS
    • The linpack test has a 64 bits mode, but no detection of a 64 bits CPU and OS is actually don. it'll be added later on.
    • The GPU MemTest test is supporting only one Graphic card
    • There's currently no way of launching the 3d test in fullscreen mode. I know this causes some issues on ATI and SLI systems. It'll be resolved later on
    • Translations aren't up to date at all !

Thanks for your help and feedback !

Enjoy !

http://www.ocbase.com/download.php?fileext=beta

Last edited by Tetedeiench; 11-23-2008 at 02:04 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    Does this version still have a lot of HDD activity? Last version made my HDD having constant "ticking" working noise which was annoying when browsing the internet meanwhile when testing. Older versions didn't use to do that. I guess it's due to the graphs feature which I tried disabling but with no luck.
    Last edited by RPGWiZaRD; 11-21-2008 at 12:18 AM.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post
    Does this version still have a lot of HDD activity? Last version made my HDD having constant "ticking" working noise which was annoying when browsing the internet meanwhile when testing. Older versions didn't use to do that. I guess it's due to the graphs feature.

This is due to the monitoring engine. This tick happens whenever you have a SMART data access - unfortunatly, i can't do anything about it.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetedeiench View Post
    This is due to the monitoring engine. This tick happens whenever you have a SMART data access - unfortunatly, i can't do anything about it.
    Can't you make the feature optional? ie checkbox if you want to use the monitoring engine or not. I don't need it so I'd gladly disable it.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Xtreme Member
    Can't you make the feature optional? ie checkbox if you want to use the monitoring engine or not. I don't need it so I'd gladly disable it.
    As it is part of the engine i'm using for monitoring : no, it doesn't have this option

Xtreme Enthusiast
    does the gpu error testing work with sli?

Xtreme Guru
    As it is part of the engine i'm using for monitoring : no, it doesn't have this option
    OK, guess I'll have to stick to older versions of OCCT and/or Orthos then.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by revogamer View Post
    does the gpu error testing work with sli?
    Yes, but in windowed mode only.

That means that if your driver is well-made, both of your cards will be used. However, with ATI cards, window mode = no 3d mode (low GPU frequencies...), and no SLI used, for instance.

In later versions, i'll add a fullscreen mode in order to get around this problem

Xtreme Member
    OK, guess I'll have to stick to older versions of OCCT and/or Orthos then.
    I'll ask the guy behind CPU-Z if he could implement it, i do know it's an issue.

Sorry i can't do anything about that right now, but come back later on, it may be fixed

Xtreme Addict
    @Tetedeiench: i seem to be getting an error when i unzip the file

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emoners View Post
    @Tetedeiench: i seem to be getting an error when i unzip the file
    I tried it right now, it works flawlessly (using Windows built-in ZIP mecanism, and winrar). I guess you have a corrupted download there Try to download it again

Xtreme Member
    I don't like OCCT because it shows that my CPU is unstable when it can run hours with Prime95.

Seriously, love this program, thanks!

Xtreme Addict
    I like OCCT, nice interface and works well. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, thanks Tetedeiench!

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for your cheers guys !

Feel free to post bugs you found, features you want to add here, i'll be following this post

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The concepts behind each test are awesome, when you resolve the dual GPU stuff I'm all over this

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thanks for the update, I switched to OCCT some time ago. It just saved tme compared to prime.

But now I'm using Linpack as a primary stability test. It's even faster. any flaws that I dont catch with a couple of Linpack runs will get ironed out eventually.

Great that Linpack is part of OCCT now. Is 32-bit only a problem?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by LOE View Post
    these guys should really HIRE a designer, I've seen better looking apps 15 years ago

This is about making a program that works, not looking 1337. Go away.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    these guys should really HIRE a designer, I've seen better looking apps 15 years ago
    I really like the design, it's clean and functional. It gets +1 in my aesthetics book.

edit: don't you have a bridge to hide under? it's daylight out.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by v0dka View Post
    Thanks for the update, I switched to OCCT some time ago. It just saved tme compared to prime.

But now I'm using Linpack as a primary stability test. It's even faster. any flaws that I dont catch with a couple of Linpack runs will get ironed out eventually.

Great that Linpack is part of OCCT now. Is 32-bit only a problem?
    Absolutly not YOu can use the 64 bit Linpack test, just check the box. But make sure you do that with a 64 bits CPU & a 64 bits OS It's just that right now i don't disable the checkbox if you can't use it.

Xtreme Member
    No need to go personal, I do design for living, and I think I have pretty high standards. If you like it - good for you, if you have problems with opinions that differ from yours - I cant help you sorry

There are many many apps out there that have great functionality, hidden behind very "basic" user interface, but the matter of fact is a good looking UI won't make a good app worse - it will only make it better.
    I did hire a designer, making him work on the "CCCP" idea, which has been the idea behind OCCT for years now.

I like it as it is just because it's easily recognizable - you see a big red square in a screenshot, OCCT is there. I'll keep the design as is, with minor modifications, but i like it the way it is

oh, and BTW, i'm alone behind this program, and it is not my main job, i do it for fun only ( i have a full-time job and a girlfriend to deal with while developing).

I find the app good looking enough the way it is - it is much better that the grey-ish apps you see around, or the interfaces of Prime95 and orthos... Just say you don't like the design, not that i should hire a designer, and i guess people will understand more clearly what you said

Xtreme Enthusiast
    A new designer, what, so it could look like the utilies mobo manufacturers ship with their products, and MP3 playback software from the 90's? ..no thanks. Looks great as it is.

Anyway, program seems to work flawlessly from some small testing.. But here's a quibble, and maybe I'm just blind, but the LINPACK test doesn't show the measured GFLOPS. That's kinda half the appeal of running LINPACK.

Xtreme Addict
    A hard day at work?

Sure you're entitled to your opinion, and so are the rest of us. I reckon it looks fine. Nice and simple, i know where everything is. But most importantly, it just works.

Talking of GFLOPS, u should implement a FLOP-test for GPU

and/or the whole system, like the PSU-test.
    Last edited by WheelMan; 11-21-2008 at 02:13 AM. Reason: some ideas
    -------------------

Laptops and gaming is like riding a tricycle through Tour de France..

Xtreme Cruncher
    This program has great potential .

2 things :
    the cpu which is now updated as fast as taskmon is flashing too fast for my eyes . it would be great to see only a 5 second average or so . or otherwise a graph .
    secondly , it does not recognize my second core on my intel xeon E5420 (2.5ghz) . it doesnt show temperature and when i check in options it sais that it disabled monitoring for cpu 2 . There is no way to enable it as it is not in the dropdownlist like all the other cores are .

Regards ,

Main rig 1: Corsair Carbide 400R 4x120mm Papst 4412GL - 1x120mm Noctua NF-12P -!- PC Power&Cooling Silencer MK III 750W Semi-Passive PSU -!- Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H -!- Intel i7 4790K -!- Swiftech H220 pull 2x Papst 4412 F/2GP -!- 4x4gb Crucial Ballistix Tactical 1866Mhz CAS9 1.5V (D9PFJ) -!- 1Tb Samsung 840 EVO SSD -!- AMD RX 480 to come -!- Windows 10 pro x64 -!- Samsung S27A850D 27" + Samsung 2443BW 24" -!- Sennheiser HD590 -!- Logitech G19 -!- Microsoft Sidewinder Mouse -!- Fragpedal -!- Eaton Ellipse MAX 1500 UPS .

Xtreme Member
    I did hire a designer, making him work on the "CCCP" idea, which has been the idea behind OCCT for years now.

I like it as it is just because it's easily recognizable - you see a big red square in a screenshot, OCCT is there. I'll keep the design as is, with minor modifications, but i like it the way it is

oh, and BTW, i'm alone behind this program, and it is not my main job, i do it for fun only ( i have a full-time job and a girlfriend to deal with while developing).

I find the app good looking enough the way it is - it is much better that the grey-ish apps you see around, or the interfaces of Prime95 and orthos... Just say you don't like the design, not that i should hire a designer, and i guess people will understand more clearly what you said
    Well said. Thanks for a great App!!! I write code for a living and I know how many hours you must have put into making this app work. It is my first choice to test new overclocks.
    "Behold, I am Funkadelic. I am not of your world. But fear me not, I will do you no harm. Loan me your funky mind and I shall play with it. For nothing is good unless you play with it. And all that is good, is nasty!"
    ("What Is Soul," Funkadelic, 1969)

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast