Thread: Compatable ram for blackops question

Compatable ram for blackops question

Hi all,
    Can anyone recommend 4g (pref 2 x 2g) ram that i can put in my blackops motherboard that will run without having to change settings in the bios.
    I currently am having problems running 4 x 1g of OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 Intel Extreme Edition and can only get it to run with 2 x 1g.
    Thanks in advance,
    Johnny D

have you set the voltage before putting in the other chips? that usually fixes the problem.
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Yorkfield
    Motherboard: Foxconn Blackops X48
    Memory: 4G 2x2 OCZ Reaper DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400) 8-8-8-27 1.9v
    Hard Drives: 2 x W.D Raptor 150GB (OS, games, apps) RAID0
    Video Card: XFX Black Edition 9800GTX @ stock frequency (760 core / 2280 memory / 1900 shader)
    Case: CM Cosmos S
    PSU: Corsiar 620HX
    WC : Custom Water
    Optical Drives: Nec 3550 dvd burner
    OS: Gentoo GNU/Linux amd64 | Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
    Odds/Ends: Razer Diamondback Mouse - Happy Hacking Keyboad Pro2 - RME pro audio card. FreeBSD UNIX servers and laptop when I'm not gaming!

Hi UNIX,
    I see you are running with 4g of ram and i asume without any hitches.
    I'm a newbie at this level so i'm trying to get my head round the tweakings and settings side of things.
    If possible can you tell me where and how in the bios do i change all these settings and does the fsb jumper on the board need to remain on auto?
    Another thing is the PSU. I'm only running on a 450w bog standard winpower that came with the case. I no it really needs to be upgraded eventually, but for now, do you think that could be causing any problems?
    Thanks in advance
    Johnny D

Xtreme Member
    My corsair ram (TW3X4G1600C9DHX) ran from the start with 2x2 modules - BUT... I have an e5200, so default fsb was only 800MHz. Pushed the FSB to 1333 on the 4:1 - 333 strap with auto ram timings and a bit extra juice (1.8v) well within the rams specs. Only 2 minor problems with this particular ram and the B'ops. The ram is rated to 1600 - in some MB's, but not this one, therefore you pay for speed you can't access (I paid $140 AUD for 2x2 GB sticks so not worried about that) and teh ram has high heatsinks. It is nice and solid / heavy feeling, and IMO looks great, but you can't use the 1st slot with some/most? aftermarket heatsinks. Of course, so long as your blue slots arent faulty, and you only want 4GB, this shouldn't be a problem at all. Like I said, minor gripes.
    BLACKOPS mobo., 4 GB Corsair xms3 XMP DDR3 RAM @1333 7-7-7-20, seagate 'cuda v11, 1TB, Q9650 @ 3.7, Megahalems cooler, corsair HX620 PSU, Galaxy 9800 GT. Win 7 HP 64. Intel X25-M G1 80 GB ssd

can blackops register a 4gb module? i.e. 2x4 GB ram