Thread: pi2 file extension. H E L P ! ! !

pi2 file extension. H E L P ! ! !

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to open a pi2 file? I had family pictures taken at Portrait Innovations yesterday, and the cd they gave me has crappy low-res versions on the photos taken. They did give me the original files but I believe they are encrypted. It's My Family, MY children, shouldn't they be MY photos to do what I will as well????? Any help would be appreciated.

Duke
    If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants.? -Isaac Newton

Xtreme Cruncher
    "PI2 files may be included on photo CDs along with low-res .JPG images; the Portrait Innovations (PI2) files are high-res versions of the images that are encrypted for copyright purposes."

You are SOL. The only possible way you could get them, is to get Portrait Innovations to give you a copyright release, in which case they should give you the unencrypted high res pictures.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Guru
    Yea, I'm guessing when you paid for these you signed something that stated what you could and could not do with the photos. Unfortunately with today's technology that's the only way a photographer can protect themselves. However, I still believe that photographers should always sell the copyright to the person paying for them. They make more money in repeat business than they would lose in multiple prints. Too many photographers see their work as invaluable when the majority of the time it's nothing more than a glorified snapshot. Sorry,,, my little rant on "professional" photography.

You could try opening the files with some type of RAW file application. Though, if you do manage to open them do not post them online. The photographer will sue you if they were to find them online.
    STARSCREAM
    3570k @ 4.6 GHz | Asus P8Z77-V LK | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | ASUS GeForce GTX550 Ti
    Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Corsair Force GT 120GB | SK hynix 128GB | Samsung 830 64GB
    WD Black 640GB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i
    Corsair AX750 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 | Antec P280 | Dell Ultrasharp U2410 | BenQ XL2420T
    ROCCAT Savu | Filco Majestouch-2 TKL w/Cherry MX Reds
    MEGATRON
    3770k @ 4.5GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
    SK hynix 128GB | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB | WD Red 3TB (4) | Seagate 7200rpm 3TB (2)
    WD Green 2TB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i (2)
    Corsair AX650 | Corsair H80i

Xtreme Enthusiast
    http://www.xnview.com/en/index.html

see if that opens them.
    I guess it won't work but you can still try. The medium res pictures are for you, the high res ones you'd have to take back and have prints made at the studio...
    Last edited by Dave_Sz; 09-20-2009 at 08:31 PM.