Thread: Where to purchase inexpensive heatshring?

Xtreme Member

Where to purchase inexpensive heatshring?

Where do you purchase heatshrink, preferably 3:1? The only place I can really find is PerformancePCs, and they charge $0.89 for 1/8" and up from there. Plus, their shipping is about $7 for the first pound or so.

Xtreme Design
    I don't know where you live, but heatshrink is actually one of the better items to get at Fry's. They have all sizes, and are cheaper than PPs or FCPU because of shipping.

Wal-Mart and Fred Myers is also a good place to check if you have them in your area. Wal-Mart doesn't always carry heatshrink, but I have purchased kits with assorted lengths for 8 dollars there that are enough to sleeve four or five PSUs...

I buy all my heatshrink from a specialty hardware store in my area, I know this doesn't help you--except that you might check your locale for some.

As for the internetz, FrozenCPU or Performance PCs is your best bet--what you can't find in price makes up for in selection. Make sure to order enough to make shipping worth your whiles.
    -------------------------------
    Not From Concentrate
    All Projects
    Previous Projects:
    S3 Mini ITX Chassis
    The ArK
    Uriel
    Israfel
    Veritas
    Eldritch

Xtreme Member
    Aw man, I was just at a Fry's... Their ~24 AWG wire wasn't exactly what I thought was cheap, so I figured heatshrink would also be expensive.

I did get a nifty variety pack from Harbor Freight. However, it's all black. I think there were like, 8' sections for about $2 in different colors, but I didn't grab any.

Since I'm at school and carless, I think I may just have to hit ebay. I just hope I can get by with regular (2:1?) shrink instead of the 3:1 on 'computer modding' websites.

Xtreme Member
    there is www.dealextreme.com they have lots of heatshrinking and its very cheap, but not that good and shipping takes a long time. but it is cheap
    Sony Vaio VPCSA35GX while 7Mm away from home... Back at home:
    C2Q QX6850 3Ghz@3.4Ghz - P35C-DS3R
    XFX GT220 - 2x2Gb OCZ PC9200@1004 5-5-5-15
    3X500Gb + 64Gb - Case Thermaltake V-3 Black Edition
    AC F7 Pro + TR HR-05

Xtreme Cruncher
    Have you tried local DIY shops. I know some of ours around here sell it pretty dam cheap
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

MDPC
    Just go to anyone who repairs televisions and such - they always have something. Be nice to them and you get some for free! But remember - don't wear expensive gadgets or clothes - look poor!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Junimrox View Post
    there is www.dealextreme.com they have lots of heatshrinking and its very cheap, but not that good and shipping takes a long time. but it is cheap
    Wow, didn't think of ordering from dealextreme. It might be a last resort, since they only carry black (from what I can see) and ships from China.

Quote Originally Posted by HuffPCair View Post
    Have you tried local DIY shops. I know some of ours around here sell it pretty dam cheap
    I'll have to look around. I'm in Westwood, CA, and things aren't exactly cheap around here.

Quote Originally Posted by dualbrain View Post
    Just go to anyone who repairs televisions and such - they always have something. Be nice to them and you get some for free! But remember - don't wear expensive gadgets or clothes - look poor!
    This is a possibility, but I also wouldn't mind buying my own too. I don't want to go in there being picky "I want 5 mm, 3:1, in red please".

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by neonblingbling View Post
    Wow, didn't think of ordering from dealextreme. It might be a last resort, since they only carry black (from what I can see) and ships from China.

I'll have to look around. I'm in Westwood, CA, and things aren't exactly cheap around here.

This is a possibility, but I also wouldn't mind buying my own too. I don't want to go in there being picky "I want 5 mm, 3:1, in red please".
    Ah see I'm in the Midwest, I call this place the dollar store of the U.S. cause it seems everything is usually cheaper around here. Lol
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme Member
    Haha, I wouldn't mind possibly living out somewhere there one day. I think my friends in Omaha were able to split a house for $500/month for a room, whereas I'm stuck in a closet of a room in LA for $600.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by neonblingbling View Post
    Haha, I wouldn't mind possibly living out somewhere there one day. I think my friends in Omaha were able to split a house for $500/month for a room, whereas I'm stuck in a closet of a room in LA for $600.
    Yeah except Omaha get Fing cold. KC can get crazy but its nice in the summer though this summer has been a little crazy with the weather and being cold in August then warming up these last few months.
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme Member