Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast

Thread: P55-UD6 socket burn

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by quake6 View Post
    I hope you don't mind, but hipro are you retired? I didn't saw any new benches from you and I really like your stuff
    Last I heard there was this padded room he was locked away in, something about soft walls so he doesn't hurt himself

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by raju View Post
    What have you measured? Nothing I suspect
    chillax dude...
    illl get a clamp, alright alright... until then, take it easy will ya :P

Quote Originally Posted by bingo13 View Post
    I usually pop boards faster than Kirstie Alley can down a gallon of ice cream but I have over 800 hours on each of those boards without a problem. 400 hours of that is full load overclocks in a case with only the power supply providing airflow exhaust.

So, either he had some really bad luck or something else is going on. Granted I have kept my voltages under 1.4 real with air cooling, but not a single hiccup yet. That said they are all back in cases right now for another round of testing.

To top it off, my burnt pad problem (it happens on air too) has only occurred on the top end boards so far.
    LOL
    hmmmm do you know thomas?
    i talked to him a few times via email when i worked for foxconn...
    he seemed like a really nice guy, im sure hed share more details with you if youd ask him.
    so your not seeing any of the problems at all?
    you can bump up vcore on the msi board to 1.4v+ and its fine?
    maybe hes testing with an es chip and it pulls more current than retail chips?
    or faulty psu?

burned pads.sockets only happens on top boards?
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    so maybe it does have to do with droop...

Xtreme Member
    So which boards don't use the foxconn socket? I have no idea where to look for info like that so hoping someone here knows raju?
    System 1 (mine):
    CPU: i7 920 D0 stable at 4.0 GHz cooled by Scythe Mugen 2000
    GPU: PowerColor HD5850 (950/1250 1.2V)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Memory: 6GB DDR3 GeiL @ 1528 MHz
    System 2 (gf's):
    CPU: i7 920 D0 currently at 4.2 GHz cooled by Noctua NH-D14 (needs more tweaking/testing)
    GPU: Club3D HD5850 (awaiting OC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R Memory: 6GB DDR3 Corsair @ 1600 MHz

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahmer View Post
    So which boards don't use the foxconn socket? I have no idea where to look for info like that so hoping someone here knows raju?
    I don't have full model specifics because every vendor seems to have some boards in the channel with Foxconn sockets.

So far, DFI have dropped Foxconn on 1156 until further notice. But there are some boards out there from early batches using Foxconn.

EVGA are using a mixture of TYCO AMP, LOTES and Foxconn. I was told future batches will focus on using TYCO AMP and LOTES.

ASUS, so far I have only seen Foxconn from them (not heard anything back at all)

Gigabyte, they are using Foxconn too.

MSI have some boards which use LOTES sockets, from budget to GD80.

It's a little hit and miss all round at present.

I should add though that not everyone has issues. It's a case of checking that most pins touch if you have a Foxconn socket. Just a bit dissapointing that there can be a significant amount of unconnected/poor contact pins.

later
    Raja
    Last edited by Raja@ASUS; 10-15-2009 at 02:50 AM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    the problem is that foxconn is making tons of them and other socket makers seem to only make low volume...
    i think most boards are foxconn and then some are mixed, sometimes foxconn sometimes others... only evga uses lotes only... maybe dfi as well idk..

EDIT: nvm, read rajas post above

Xtreme Member
    I have 3 MSI P55 : 2 GD80 with Lotes socket and 1 GD65 with Foxconn socket.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    huh? no credit to xs or the people who brought it up in the anandtech article? why?

Xtreme Member
    Just checked all the pictures of the P55 boards on evga site and if I can trust those half of them show foxconn
    P55 LE, P55 Micro, P55 FTW clearly show foxconn on the piece of plastic in the socket or on the backplate, other ones I'm not sure of...hope they get revisions out soon
    System 1 (mine):
    CPU: i7 920 D0 stable at 4.0 GHz cooled by Scythe Mugen 2000
    GPU: PowerColor HD5850 (950/1250 1.2V)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Memory: 6GB DDR3 GeiL @ 1528 MHz
    System 2 (gf's):
    CPU: i7 920 D0 currently at 4.2 GHz cooled by Noctua NH-D14 (needs more tweaking/testing)
    GPU: Club3D HD5850 (awaiting OC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R Memory: 6GB DDR3 Corsair @ 1600 MHz

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    huh? no credit to xs or the people who brought it up in the anandtech article? why?
    check the pics on Anand, compare to this post: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...4&postcount=37
    check username: raju
    check name author at Anand: Rajinder Gill

1+1 ?

Belgium's #1 Hardware Review Site and OC-Team!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmke View Post
    check the pics on Anand, compare to this post: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...4&postcount=37

1+1 ?
    i know that raju=rajinder gill
    i thought he was insipred by this thread so i was surprised he didnt mention sf3d, massman or xs... whats the big deal, geez...

Xtreme Addict
    whats the big deal, geez...
    you made it a deal
    duh.

Belgium's #1 Hardware Review Site and OC-Team!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahmer View Post
    Just checked all the pictures of the P55 boards on evga site and if I can trust those half of them show foxconn
    P55 LE, P55 Micro, P55 FTW clearly show foxconn on the piece of plastic in the socket or on the backplate, other ones I'm not sure of...hope they get revisions out soon
    So what happens to current users of Foxconn-socket boards then? Don't we have a Gigabyte rep on this board? I haven't touched the voltages at all on my board, so hopefully I don't see anything when i check this weekend...but is there any hope for RMA/replacement (as a preventative measure)?
    >> i5 750 @ 3.6Ghz | CM212Plus + P12 | P55-UD3R [BIOS F2] | 4GB G.Skill CL8 | Zotac GTX 580
    .: 4 x 1TB WD | Corsair TX750 | Lian Li PC-A70A | X-Fi | Logitech Z-2300

xtreme energy
    Mav451, read all thread This happens only at high loads. Something like ~4.5GHz+ and 1.35V+ with a load of linx or similar.

Any reports of dead Asus boards?
    Last edited by kiwi; 10-15-2009 at 05:31 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by jmke View Post

1+1 ?
    It's always nice to get mentioned for whatever you did to help out, be it investigate research or just bringing up the issue. If no one would share findings, there wouldn't be so much to discuss.

That being said, I think Raja's the one who did all the research, so I have no problem with him not mentioning anyone. The article is more than just the 'heads-up', it's sort of an explanation as well.
    Where courage, motivation and ignorance meet, a persistent idiot awakens.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by massman View Post
    It's always nice to get mentioned for whatever you did to help out, be it investigate research or just bringing up the issue. If no one would share findings, there wouldn't be so much to discuss.

That being said, I think Raja's the one who did all the research, so I have no problem with him not mentioning anyone. The article is more than just the 'heads-up', it's sort of an explanation as well.
    I was going to ask for you permission to post up some pics. I can possibly add them into the engine and give thanks where needed. I only really pursued this becasue I got caught out twice in rapid succession with the burn (the second time was just plain nasty and on the best CPU I had potentially screwing any future results) and then a close friend on the same weekend. Had no choice to investigate because it delayed the article badly (still not done).

Had I used any direct information I would have given direct thanks all round for the input.

I'll be sure to contact next time if I use anything directly.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Mav451, read all thread This happens only at high loads. Something like ~4.5GHz+ and 1.35V+ with a load of linx or similar.

Any reports of dead Asus boards?
    Yes, two Max III ROGs (one is mine). The second board was worse - only ran 32m at 5G's, power draw was not even that high, but cause of so little pin contact the pins that were making contact got screwed.

Xtreme XIP

Thumbs down

Yikes P55 , never had one never will buy one

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chispy View Post
    Yikes P55 , never had one never will buy one
    My thought exactly. I just posted earlier today @ techreaction... P55 is like the handicapped redheaded stepchild of bloomfield...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    H'mm just checked my Biostar TPower I55 - Foxconn on mine.

Whats the chances of Foxconn getting totally anally sued over this for liable damages? I hope they get screwed seriously.
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz MSI Z77 MPower G.Skill Trident 8GB 2400C10
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8GB @ 1784/4004MHz Corsair HX 750 PSU
    Samsung 830 256GB Creative ZxR Thermalright Silver Arrow
    NEC 24WMGX3 24" TFT Fractal Design Define S Win 7/10 64bit

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelly View Post
    H'mm just checked my Biostar TPower I55 - Foxconn on mine.

Whats the chances of Foxconn getting totally anally sued over this for liable damages? I hope they get screwed seriously.
    Why? This would never happen to anyone unless they were voiding their warranty and pushing excessive voltages and clocks into the processor

Xtreme Member
    eVGA P55 FTW here with LOTES!!!!!!!!!!
    OBSIDIAN 800D, ASRock P67 Professional, Intel 2600K [UNLOCKED] watercooled by Ybris Black Sun (HWLabs Black Ice SR1-360 w/Nanoxia 2K, Swiftech MCP655 + Res XSPC), 4GB KINGSTON LoVo, SSD 128GB Crucial RealSSD C300, HDD Seagate Barracuda 250GB/500GB, Corsair HX 750w, nVidia 260 GTX XFX Black Edition, X-FI Xtreme Gamer

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KURTZ View Post
    eVGA P55 FTW here with LOTES!!!!!!!!!!
    Hah nice. Did you check the pin markings anyway, or did u just take the side off your case?
    >> i5 750 @ 3.6Ghz | CM212Plus + P12 | P55-UD3R [BIOS F2] | 4GB G.Skill CL8 | Zotac GTX 580
    .: 4 x 1TB WD | Corsair TX750 | Lian Li PC-A70A | X-Fi | Logitech Z-2300

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mav451 View Post
    Hah nice. Did you check the pin markings anyway, or did u just take the side off your case?
    just checked the side off mate
    OBSIDIAN 800D, ASRock P67 Professional, Intel 2600K [UNLOCKED] watercooled by Ybris Black Sun (HWLabs Black Ice SR1-360 w/Nanoxia 2K, Swiftech MCP655 + Res XSPC), 4GB KINGSTON LoVo, SSD 128GB Crucial RealSSD C300, HDD Seagate Barracuda 250GB/500GB, Corsair HX 750w, nVidia 260 GTX XFX Black Edition, X-FI Xtreme Gamer

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKarmakazi View Post
    Why? This would never happen to anyone unless they were voiding their warranty and pushing excessive voltages and clocks into the processor
    Ahh thats alright then I'm not one of those people.
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz MSI Z77 MPower G.Skill Trident 8GB 2400C10
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8GB @ 1784/4004MHz Corsair HX 750 PSU
    Samsung 830 256GB Creative ZxR Thermalright Silver Arrow
    NEC 24WMGX3 24" TFT Fractal Design Define S Win 7/10 64bit

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast