Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1320212223

Thread: P55-UD6 socket burn

Xtreme Addict
    Is this still something to be concerned about? I ordered a P7P55D-E Pro because this review showed a Lotes socket onboard. Unfortunately, mine's a Foxconn. The scratch marks will be evident after latching down the lever, right? As long as they're all spotted, I'm ok? Thanks!

Xtreme Member
    Wait, how did you get a Foxconn socket? From memory, they replaced all of them with LOTES.

Xtreme Addict
    Great...that inspires confidence. I'm guessing its an old board sittin on neweggs shelf? Or foxconn's revised their sockets. The CPU as from September 3rd tho. And its a pretty popular board.

Xtreme Member
    Even the older (pre-USB 3.0 | SATA 6Gb/s) were replaced with LOTES. So I don't understand why Asus made anything now with Foxconn unless the issue was fixed.

Xtreme Addict
    Well, it looks easy enough to check. Put CPU in socket, pull out and look for marks on pads.

c[_]
    check that the back of the board doesnt warp with the CPU installed, or the socket, or that the CPU retention tabs attached to the cam lock are evenly spaced on each side of the cpu so they dont create uneven pressure.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    guys Asus are still using foxconn sockets on many of their boards, i have never melted / burnt a socket and ive given my cpu's 2v. There was a bad batch of sockets but there doesnt seem to be an issue anymore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "realy magic isnt card tricks, big cribs and cars b1tch
    its 6 gig vantage full pass without 2v sh1t" Young Pro

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle fester View Post
    guys Asus are still using foxconn sockets on many of their boards, i have never melted / burnt a socket and ive given my cpu's 2v. There was a bad batch of sockets but there doesnt seem to be an issue anymore.
    As I said before, high voltage isn't the factor why socket gets burned. It is all about cooler pressure. That can happen on X58 board too (the pins gets another color) so I'm telling you guys not to screw up your mounting kits too heavy. On X58 platform it usually effects the IMC pins. You "lose" one DIMM so your board detects only 2/4GB of memory. The solution is to clean the socket pins with the tooth brush. With P55 is a little bit heavier and once you've got burned socket you can nothing to do except praying because of warranty.

MBO Gigabyte P67-UD4-B3 // CPU Intel i5 2500k //
    GPU Gigabyte GTX470 // PSU Corsair TX650W //
    RAM 2*2GB Geil Black Dragon + 2*2GB Corsair DominatorGT // HDD WD 640GB + Seagate 250GB (410AS)

I am Xtreme
    Think you got a point there Bullet92. W edid an OC demo with a UD3R. We wer elocked at 220Bclock, redid the CPU mount and got way higher... though after an hour ( with not exuberant voltages ) we got socket burn again... it's not all about the socket, but the way it all makes contact, usually the result of an inferior mounting...
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Addict

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleTECH View Post
    Wait, how did you get a Foxconn socket? From memory, they replaced all of them with LOTES.
    who told you that?

Reviewers probably got sent lotes so people get misled. I have a p7p55d-e also and is foxconn. Whether or not I have an issue as a result I dont know, I had to increase voltage to MCH and reduce ram timing to 2T to make stable, I read 1T instability can be related to bad ram controller which of course is now on cpu.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleTECH View Post
    Even the older (pre-USB 3.0 | SATA 6Gb/s) were replaced with LOTES. So I don't understand why Asus made anything now with Foxconn unless the issue was fixed.
    like this socket?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&postcount=549

World Champion - IRONMODS
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Banned Movieman...
    Quote Originally Posted by miahallen View Post
    could this be a problem with intels socket design and not the company its made by?

what company made the socket?

Hardware Nightmare
    Ohnoes, not again.

What volts used? And what's exact socket model and vendor affected?

Have no issues yet with M4E and UD7 (both foxconn skt), during 2 weeks of 5G+ usage with 1.45-1.6V range, with 50+ socket temps.
    Taking GND reference from another galaxy

Electronics engineering @ extreme overclocker
    LN2: Cel347@8199.5MHz,920@5300,E8600@6610,QX9650@5700,X 3050@4311,X3470@5060

World Champion - IRONMODS
    Quote Originally Posted by stangracin3 View Post
    could this be a problem with intels socket design and not the company its made by?

what company made the socket?
    Foxconn socket.

Quote Originally Posted by TiN_EOF View Post
    Ohnoes, not again.

What volts used? And what's exact socket model and vendor affected?

Have no issues yet with M4E and UD7 (both foxconn skt), during 2 weeks of 5G+ usage with 1.45-1.6V range, with 50+ socket temps.
    I have not used the board at all....I received it in this condition from Gigabyte. My M4E and UD7 are also Foxconn sockets, and have had heavy use without any issues
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1320212223