Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

Thread: P55-UD6 socket burn

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The 1 2 3 4 is probably a cav# of the injection mold it came out of. this could be traced down to 1 bad cavity and not all foxcon sockets are bad
    Cooler Master 110 case w/window and cold cathode/Sony E540
    I7 920@4.4Ghz 210x21 Megahalems
    Gygabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
    OCZ 6Gb DDR3 1600
    XFX ATI 5770 960/1400
    Seagate Barracuda 1.5tb
    Lite-On DVD RW iHAS220-08/Sony Optiarc AD-7190S
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750

That's my 2008 Street Glide.

Posts: 7 Hi I have problems with my 1156 i7 860 at stock speeds with it randomly rebooting and windows explorer crashing and games crashing and multiple blue screens etc. i have an asus p7p55d deluxe with the ressesion made foxconn socket! and yep my cpu has the exact same pin area not touching as the article on anandtech. this is just shoddy workmanship on foxcons part, the motherboard manurfacturers not testing their boards properly and intel leaving an integral part of how their processors operate up to seccond rate manurfacturers! I have rma my board with the instructions of not giving me a repacement board as it will also have a shoddy foxconn socket on it too, i am asking for my money back, and im going with 1366 now!

oh here is my proof i took this picture myself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43731058@N08/4018093023/
    Last edited by 0_o-Roy; 10-17-2009 at 12:16 AM.
    PSU: Gigabyte Oden 800 Pro
    Memory: 6GB OCZ Platinum 1866Mhz
    GPU: 2x MSI 5770 Hawk's in CrossfireX
    HD: WD 1TB Black Edition 7200RPM
    Seagate 1TB
    DVD: Asus DVDRW Dual Layer Lightscribe
    Windows 7 professional 64bit

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmke View Post
    come back to EU man, you logic is affected
    yeah your right
    my bad
    thanks for pointing this out
    thanks

I am Xtreme
    Does the cpu operate at stock speeds Roy or is it a ram problem ? I don't think you will get ya money back like that, also the multitude of pins you are telling are not making contact, I wonder how how on earth the rig can boot ?
    Last edited by Leeghoofd; 10-17-2009 at 01:47 AM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    More likely poor contact in places than no contact at all. If the contact resistance is altered to some key signal pins, you'd get erratic behaviour.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by raju View Post
    More likely poor contact in places than no contact at all. If the contact resistance is altered to some key signal pins, you'd get erratic behaviour.
    Poor contact will effect ever1 overclockler or not. Those contacts do more than just deliver juice they also send data. no contact memory might not work. no contact PC! express may be compromized and so on this will effect every1 not just overclockers.

This was going to happen sooner than later with the pins in the sockets. to many variables. You know how difficult it is to make those pins perfect every time? doesn't look like it leaves much room for error. Then you have the plastic housing and other plastic parts in the socket that they protrude through. Any1 ever work at a plastics factory? Well I have and it's not exactly the best repeatable process. it could even come down to some moron forgot to turn on the water to the tool, but more likley some (_{_) of a boss wanted the job speed up to make more $$$$ and the parts are warped or flash in the holes pushing the pins in the wrong direction or limiting their movement.
    Last edited by cowpuppy; 10-17-2009 at 04:05 AM.
    Cooler Master 110 case w/window and cold cathode/Sony E540
    I7 920@4.4Ghz 210x21 Megahalems
    Gygabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
    OCZ 6Gb DDR3 1600
    XFX ATI 5770 960/1400
    Seagate Barracuda 1.5tb
    Lite-On DVD RW iHAS220-08/Sony Optiarc AD-7190S
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750

That's my 2008 Street Glide.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    yeah your right
    my bad
    thanks for pointing this out
    thanks
    open arms

Belgium's #1 Hardware Review Site and OC-Team!

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpuppy View Post
    Poor contact will effect ever1 overclockler or not. Those contacts do more than just deliver juice they also send data. no contact memory might not work. no contact PC! express may be compromized and so on this will effect every1 not just overclockers.
    Hence the term 'erratic behavior' Raju's using.

The socket burnout is caused by VSS/VCC not, or improperly being connected. The pins used for communication (=data) have nothing to do with the burnout. In other words, the poor contact of VSS/VCC pins doesn't cause the system to become unstable because of the poor contact.
    Where courage, motivation and ignorance meet, a persistent idiot awakens.

Xtreme Member
    wtf?

VCC- Vcore
    VSS- GND

and poor contact with these pins cause burnout LGA1156. especially poor contact with VCC pins.
    Last edited by borec; 10-17-2009 at 05:01 AM.
    sorry for my bad english
    Team Inkognito is ready for overclocking!

I am Xtreme
    Poor contact causes those that are properly connected to overheat because too much current is drawn through them.
    Where courage, motivation and ignorance meet, a persistent idiot awakens.

Quote Originally Posted by 0_o-Roy View Post

Posts: 7 Hi I have problems with my 1156 i7 860 at stock speeds with it randomly rebooting and windows explorer crashing and games crashing and multiple blue screens etc. i have an asus p7p55d deluxe with the ressesion made foxconn socket! and yep my cpu has the exact same pin area not touching as the article on anandtech. this is just shoddy workmanship on foxcons part, the motherboard manurfacturers not testing their boards properly and intel leaving an integral part of how their processors operate up to seccond rate manurfacturers! I have rma my board with the instructions of not giving me a repacement board as it will also have a shoddy foxconn socket on it too, i am asking for my money back, and im going with 1366 now!

oh here is my proof i took this picture myself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43731058@N08/4018093023/
    I see contact marks on the pads you highlighted. The light marks in the center are from the contacts. the little pin holes are not. They are from the factory that way.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    The pin holes are from the Foxconn socket. The scuff marks likely when the CPU is first instered into the socket or direct from Intel.

Quote Originally Posted by raju View Post
    The pin holes are from the Foxconn socket. The scuff marks likely when the CPU is first instered into the socket or direct from Intel.
    No, I've been waiting on my H50 bracket from Corsair before installing my 860. So I looked at my brand new, never installed i7 and the pin holes were there. I took a pic (not the best, but you can see the marks) I then installed it in my Maximus III Gene w/ Foxconn bracket and now see the light marks in the middle of the pads. Looking at the pins, they are not pointed and they are at an angle so I do not see how they could possibly make little pin holes. I don't see how anyone can think that the CPU would still be working with so many pins not touching and so many pads with 2 pin marks. (unless people think it's from multiple insertions I suppose)

Picture of chip before install

Picture of chip after install

edit: And here is a 1336 i7 that someone took a pic of trying to show the pin marks in the center of the pads as being good contact. Well look closer and see that there are atleast 10 pads with no pin marks and multiple pads with 2 marks.

edit: Here's another 1156 i5 chip from hardforum before being installed.
    Last edited by Lathode; 10-17-2009 at 04:07 PM.

The scuff marked contacts on the bottom of the cpu may be making contact but it would be very poor contact if they are! The cpu should have one (1) mark on every pad, on mine many have one, some have two! I also only had put the cpu into the socket once ever so i cant see how some contacts have two? I dont see why I shouldnt get my money back? its not a Ram issue i tested the ram in my other pc. Also to lathode, a brand new CPU should have zero marks on the contacts, none at all, I dont know whats up with your 860?
    Last edited by 0_o-Roy; 10-17-2009 at 05:12 PM.
    PSU: Gigabyte Oden 800 Pro
    Memory: 6GB OCZ Platinum 1866Mhz
    GPU: 2x MSI 5770 Hawk's in CrossfireX
    HD: WD 1TB Black Edition 7200RPM
    Seagate 1TB
    DVD: Asus DVDRW Dual Layer Lightscribe
    Windows 7 professional 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by 0_o-Roy View Post
    The scuff marked contacts on the bottom of the cpu may be making contact but it would be very poor contact if they are! The cpu should have one (1) mark on every pad, on mine many have one, some have two! I also only had put the cpu into the socket once ever so i cant see how some contacts have two? I dont see why I shouldnt get my money back? its not a Ram issue i tested the ram in my other pc. Also to lathode, a brand new CPU should have zero marks on the contacts, none at all, I dont know whats up with your 860?
    The pin marks are NOT from the socket, they are from the factory. The scuff marks are from the socket. Look closely at the socket, the contacts are round, they are not points. Also they are at an angle and bend down when there is pressure on them, they will not put hard indents into the pads. Look at the 1336 CPU I linked to, you will also see multiple pads with 2 pin marks as well as pads with no pin marks. Look at the new i5 I linked to, it also has pin marks. Also look at multiple pads right next to eachother that have 2 pin marks on them, if there were 2 pins marks would a pad adjacent to it have none? Now think about this, if the pin marks were contacts how in the world would a CPU work if there are dozens of pads with no contacts and pads with 2 contacts? Especially considering the PCI-E controller and memory controller are on the CPU. One other thing, I'm betting the marks that are on the CPU from the factory are from testing. So yes I think they should have some type of marks on them and it would make sense that they are not tsted in standard sockets, but custom sockets for testing purposes.
    Last edited by Lathode; 10-17-2009 at 07:55 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    my freinds p55 max3 from newegg socket melted down tonight. and he was only on air at 4.1. his system shut down and would not restart. he called me i said just out of curiosity to check his cpu socket and sure enough in the same corner he had the socket melted like these pics shown here and the bottom of the cpu was messed up. he did have the foxconn socket also. he just got his last week also. this is sure making me a bit nervous about buying anything p55 right now. as i said he was only on air. i do not know his settings but he said it was at 4.1 ill try to find out more of what settings he was running tomm
    upgrading...cooler master cm690 case, corsair hx850, samsung 1tb x 3, optiarc burners x2, gskill 4gb ripjaws, working on the rest again

Quote Originally Posted by zfactor View Post
    my freinds p55 max3 from newegg socket melted down tonight. and he was only on air at 4.1. his system shut down and would not restart. he called me i said just out of curiosity to check his cpu socket and sure enough in the same corner he had the socket melted like these pics shown here and the bottom of the cpu was messed up. he did have the foxconn socket also. he just got his last week also. this is sure making me a bit nervous about buying anything p55 right now. as i said he was only on air. i do not know his settings but he said it was at 4.1 ill try to find out more of what settings he was running tomm
    What was he doing when it shut down and how much voltage was he giving it?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i dont know the voltage settings but he said he was in the middle of a game he didn't mention which one. so id gather nothing that stressful. he said before that he was running prime. so that damage may have been done enough before hand i dont know. if i can get him on here i will. last time we talked he was under 1.4v that was 2 days ago. he is not answering his phone right now so ill find out tomm. all i know is he is PIS-SED off right now.. he has no idea if the chip is fuber now and doesnt know what the rma will be like. back to newegg is what he is hoping but they prob will not take it burned like that
    Last edited by zfactor; 10-17-2009 at 08:18 PM.
    upgrading...cooler master cm690 case, corsair hx850, samsung 1tb x 3, optiarc burners x2, gskill 4gb ripjaws, working on the rest again

The un-extreme XIP
    As a quick fix for this problem, what about taking an old plastic card (old school id or whatever, just no raised numbers like a CC) and cutting out a square from the middle. Place it on the processor such that the hole fits just around the heatspreader. It should press the processor into the socket better.

edit: i *think* it would work, but have not tried it, someone else want to give it a shot?
    Last edited by cirthix; 10-17-2009 at 08:30 PM.

i5 3570K@ 4.8GHz 1.32v, 32GB Gskill 1866, Gigabyte g1 sniper m3
    HD7970@1125/1575 stock voltage
    1TB F1+2*128GB Crucial M4
    Silverstone 450w, no case
    2560*1440@120Hz overclocked catleap
    Steelseries G6v2+5600dpi modded logitech trackball

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmke View Post
    open arms
    hahaha ok,

The un-extreme XIP
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    hahaha ok,
    lol saaya, you had to quote all the smileys

i5 3570K@ 4.8GHz 1.32v, 32GB Gskill 1866, Gigabyte g1 sniper m3
    HD7970@1125/1575 stock voltage
    1TB F1+2*128GB Crucial M4
    Silverstone 450w, no case
    2560*1440@120Hz overclocked catleap
    Steelseries G6v2+5600dpi modded logitech trackball

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathode View Post
    The pin marks are NOT from the socket, they are from the factory. The scuff marks are from the socket. Look closely at the socket, the contacts are round, they are not points. Also they are at an angle and bend down when there is pressure on them, they will not put hard indents into the pads. Look at the 1336 CPU I linked to, you will also see multiple pads with 2 pin marks as well as pads with no pin marks. Look at the new i5 I linked to, it also has pin marks. Also look at multiple pads right next to eachother that have 2 pin marks on them, if there were 2 pins marks would a pad adjacent to it have none? Now think about this, if the pin marks were contacts how in the world would a CPU work if there are dozens of pads with no contacts and pads with 2 contacts? Especially considering the PCI-E controller and memory controller are on the CPU. One other thing, I'm betting the marks that are on the CPU from the factory are from testing. So yes I think they should have some type of marks on them and it would make sense that they are not tsted in standard sockets, but custom sockets for testing purposes.
    Yeah the Foxconn socket should leave a slight scuff, but it does not seem you always get contact on all of the pads or it is poor in places (leaving the feintest of marks).
    Last edited by Raja@ASUS; 10-17-2009 at 09:56 PM.

Xtreme Legend
    i've had a lot of poor contact related issues on Socket 1366 boards in pretty much all brands which are usually manifested in dropping one or two channels or not starting at all or getting stuck at early postcodes too

i guess it's the way of the new sockets......
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme X.I.P.

Again Foxconn socket. OC was around 5G's, but load was Spi 32M (so around 7.5-10amps from EPS 12V)
    Last edited by Raja@ASUS; 10-17-2009 at 10:51 PM.

Is that from a Foxconn socket or LOTES? Have you tried subzero at ~5GHz with a LOTES socket yet?

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast