Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast

Thread: P55-UD6 socket burn

Xtreme X.I.P
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelly View Post
    H'mm just checked my Biostar TPower I55 - Foxconn on mine.

Whats the chances of Foxconn getting totally anally sued over this for liable damages? I hope they get screwed seriously.
    New foxconn socket revision corrected that issue... as i heard by Biostar.
    ***** Visit us on PCWorld.fr *****

Xtreme n00berclocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahmer View Post
    Just checked all the pictures of the P55 boards on evga site and if I can trust those half of them show foxconn
    P55 LE, P55 Micro, P55 FTW clearly show foxconn on the piece of plastic in the socket or on the backplate, other ones I'm not sure of...hope they get revisions out soon
    You are referring to the socket protector or the backplate. Not the actual socket which is normal because I think everybody uses their proector.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3oh6
    damn you guys...am i in a three way and didn't know it again
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian y.
    Im exclusively benching ECS from this point forward

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt.Planet View Post
    You are referring to the socket protector or the backplate. Not the actual socket which is normal because I think everybody uses their proector.
    i've the LOTES backplate, it's possible that i've the Foxconn socket? really?
    OBSIDIAN 800D, ASRock P67 Professional, Intel 2600K [UNLOCKED] watercooled by Ybris Black Sun (HWLabs Black Ice SR1-360 w/Nanoxia 2K, Swiftech MCP655 + Res XSPC), 4GB KINGSTON LoVo, SSD 128GB Crucial RealSSD C300, HDD Seagate Barracuda 250GB/500GB, Corsair HX 750w, nVidia 260 GTX XFX Black Edition, X-FI Xtreme Gamer

Xtreme n00berclocker
    Quote Originally Posted by KURTZ View Post
    i've the LOTES backplate, it's possible that i've the Foxconn socket? really?
    I highly doubt you have a foxconn socket. Sometimes they use different vendors for the socket, the socket cap, etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by 3oh6
    damn you guys...am i in a three way and didn't know it again
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian y.
    Im exclusively benching ECS from this point forward

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pt1t View Post
    So what happens to early boards that have the issue? Thanks for the cash and see you later? And I'm talking about anyone that's affected, Gigabyte/Asus/MSI/eVGA etc.

>> i5 750 @ 3.6Ghz | CM212Plus + P12 | P55-UD3R [BIOS F2] | 4GB G.Skill CL8 | Zotac GTX 580
    .: 4 x 1TB WD | Corsair TX750 | Lian Li PC-A70A | X-Fi | Logitech Z-2300

Xtreme Enthusiast
    so will all board now use a newer foxconn socket? is this what you mean??
    upgrading...cooler master cm690 case, corsair hx850, samsung 1tb x 3, optiarc burners x2, gskill 4gb ripjaws, working on the rest again

Hey , iam going to Buy a MSI P55 GD80 tomorow how can i check if the socket is Lotes or Foxcon , kinda scared about this was hoping to get a I7860 to 4ghz 24/7 , Also would it be beter to go for The ASUS P7P55D DELUXE or does Asus also having this socket issues ?
    Maximus V Gene
    I7 3770k
    Samsung 8 GB MV-3V4G3D/US
    XFX 850W BlackEdition
    Intel X25-m 80GB
    Asus 7970Ghz Edition

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKarmakazi View Post
    Why? This would never happen to anyone unless they were voiding their warranty and pushing excessive voltages and clocks into the processor
    pushing excessive voltages and clocks into the processor just shows the problem sooner, but the problem is there as it seems that the CPU does not touch all of the pins.......... over time this will become a problem even with normal voltage IMHO.
    Last edited by dctokyo; 10-15-2009 at 08:27 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usoldier View Post
    Hey , iam going to Buy a MSI P55 GD80 tomorow how can i check if the socket is Lotes or Foxcon , kinda scared about this was hoping to get a I7860 to 4ghz 24/7 , Also would it be beter to go for The ASUS P7P55D DELUXE or does Asus also having this socket issues ?
    Just flip the mobo upside down. B/c MSI can have either, it'd be best if you were able to see the mobo before purchasing, a la Microcenter/Fry's. If you have neither...you are really entering a lottery then.
    >> i5 750 @ 3.6Ghz | CM212Plus + P12 | P55-UD3R [BIOS F2] | 4GB G.Skill CL8 | Zotac GTX 580
    .: 4 x 1TB WD | Corsair TX750 | Lian Li PC-A70A | X-Fi | Logitech Z-2300

Xtreme Enthusiast
    When I flip mine upside down their is no details/info on the backplate, on the front plastic socket protection cover it says Foxconn.
    So the Biostar boards have a new revision of the Foxconn socket?

I'm guessing when you did your results yours didnt cause any damage to the socket?
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz MSI Z77 MPower G.Skill Trident 8GB 2400C10
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8GB @ 1784/4004MHz Corsair HX 750 PSU
    Samsung 830 256GB Creative ZxR Thermalright Silver Arrow
    NEC 24WMGX3 24" TFT Fractal Design Define S Win 7/10 64bit

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmke View Post
    you made it a deal
    duh.
    cause i asked about it?
    hows that making it a big deal?

so if i think an article on madshrimps.be is insipred by a forum thread or somebody elses article, which happens all the time, and i ask you: "why didnt you credit him/them" thats a big deal? how so? if id have said something like "whoa he used this thread/massman and sf3ds findings to create an article without giving them credit, what an sob!" then ok, sure, that would be making it a big deal and out of line... but i know raja for quite some time, so i figured he just forgot it. i used a smiley in both threads originally but then realized it might make the post look rude and edited the posts to remove them... and i think i forgot it in one of the two replies... but even with that smiley i dont see what the big deal is?

Quote Originally Posted by raju View Post
    the second time was just plain nasty and on the best CPU I had potentially screwing any future results
    damn... :/ sorry to hear man...
    and it came out of nowhere?
    that really sucks...
    you had some damn impressive clocks with that one... :/

Quote Originally Posted by Mav451 View Post
    So what happens to early boards that have the issue? Thanks for the cash and see you later? And I'm talking about anyone that's affected, Gigabyte/Asus/MSI/eVGA etc.

probably something like that... with the added line: if you want an EVEN better board with a mega ultra durable socket, hand over some more cash pls...
    Last edited by saaya; 10-15-2009 at 09:35 PM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post

damn... :/ sorry to hear man...
    and it came out of nowhere?
    that really sucks...
    you had some damn impressive clocks with that one... :/
    That was on the ROG. I ran 2 benches that day, Wprime 1024M and 32m (bear in mind the Tyco and LOTES boards passed the bench at higher clocks that what I was running on the ROG). The CPU has some VCC pads that warped from the heat (they did not burn completely). The board fared worse and died when some of the pins melted. At this point I really needed to know what was causing it. A friend of mine rang the next day and he had the smae problem (he only ran 32m), so the heat was on to find out why this kept happening.

I've used the CPU again since and it clocks good for WPrime still so I might have gotten away with it despite some of the VCC pads looking a bit warped. Nearly finished now and I should have it all posted up soon.

later
    Raja
    Last edited by Raja@ASUS; 10-15-2009 at 10:15 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt.Planet View Post
    Ah ok, I wasn't 100% sure if they'ld have the socket itself too so I pointed out it's the protector having the foxconn label

And I guess I'll have to get the P55 ftw board
    System 1 (mine):
    CPU: i7 920 D0 stable at 4.0 GHz cooled by Scythe Mugen 2000
    GPU: PowerColor HD5850 (950/1250 1.2V)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Memory: 6GB DDR3 GeiL @ 1528 MHz
    System 2 (gf's):
    CPU: i7 920 D0 currently at 4.2 GHz cooled by Noctua NH-D14 (needs more tweaking/testing)
    GPU: Club3D HD5850 (awaiting OC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R Memory: 6GB DDR3 Corsair @ 1600 MHz

Xtreme X.I.P.
    cool, cant wait to read that piece
    so the cpu is still alive?
    and it clocks the same?
    i have a bad feeling about it though lol, those pads are really thin, and if they are already in bad shape, it makes it more likely for the pins to overheat again...
    what do you think, does getting the socket cold enough prevent this from happening?

wouldnt it be alright if the socket and pins would be cooled well enough? then the plastic cant melt, the pins stay in place, plus they get cooled so they keep roughly the same resistance and pressure against the pads... or is it only slowing the chain reaction of higher temps->higher resistance+less pressure against the pad->higher temps?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    oh and raja, please enabled pms on xs man...
    i originally wanted to pm you about not mentioning xs and sf3d and massman but i had to post something cause you have pms disabled :P

Xtreme X.I.P.
    oh and raja, please enabled pms on xs man...
    i originally wanted to pm you about not mentioning xs and sf3d and massman but i had to post something cause you have pms disabled :P
    Last time I sent a PM on here to someone I got accused of trying to lure away XS staff. So best keep it out in the open, it actually creates less controversy. that and I have limited time to answer stuff nowadays.
    Last edited by Raja@ASUS; 10-15-2009 at 10:48 PM.

Xtreme Member
    cool, cant wait to read that piece
    so the cpu is still alive?
    and it clocks the same?
    i have a bad feeling about it though lol, those pads are really thin, and if they are already in bad shape, it makes it more likely for the pins to overheat again...
    what do you think, does getting the socket cold enough prevent this from happening?

wouldnt it be alright if the socket and pins would be cooled well enough? then the plastic cant melt, the pins stay in place, plus they get cooled so they keep roughly the same resistance and pressure against the pads... or is it only slowing the chain reaction of higher temps->higher resistance+less pressure against the pad->higher temps?
    I'm guessing that would only slow down the chain reaction. Heat is not really the problem, it's just the result of the problem of the pins not having enough contact with the pads.
    System 1 (mine):
    CPU: i7 920 D0 stable at 4.0 GHz cooled by Scythe Mugen 2000
    GPU: PowerColor HD5850 (950/1250 1.2V)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Memory: 6GB DDR3 GeiL @ 1528 MHz
    System 2 (gf's):
    CPU: i7 920 D0 currently at 4.2 GHz cooled by Noctua NH-D14 (needs more tweaking/testing)
    GPU: Club3D HD5850 (awaiting OC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R Memory: 6GB DDR3 Corsair @ 1600 MHz

Xtreme Addict
    cause i asked about it?
    you asked, people replied, you replied "what's the big deal".

Belgium's #1 Hardware Review Site and OC-Team!

Champion
    Weissbier - breakfast of champions

Xtreme Enthusiast
    EVGA P55 F.T.W board with Lotes.

This is what mine looks like, mine has no name on the front plate or backplate either yet some have Foxconn on them. (second pic not my board just for description/info purposes)

Anyway I've just checked my CPU under a light with a magnyfying glass & all the gold plates are firmly inprinted against the socket on my CPU so theirs no problem with mine at all lol.

I havent got a digital camera as I would just love to proof this & mine has the Foxconn socket!
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz MSI Z77 MPower G.Skill Trident 8GB 2400C10
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8GB @ 1784/4004MHz Corsair HX 750 PSU
    Samsung 830 256GB Creative ZxR Thermalright Silver Arrow
    NEC 24WMGX3 24" TFT Fractal Design Define S Win 7/10 64bit

Xtreme X.I.P.
    you asked, people replied, you replied "what's the big deal".
    1+1 ?
    ...nevermind...

Just checked my ASUS board, definitely Foxconn, but complete pin to pad contact. Purchased on the 9th of Sept., for what its worth, not sure how to determine when it was manufactured.
    i5 750::ASUS P7P55D Pro::G.SKILL F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH::Samsung F3 500GB::Sapphire 4850X2::Corsair 650TX::Thermaltake Tsunami::Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus::LG 32LF11

Xtreme Addict
    come back to EU man, you logic is affected

Xtreme Addict
    so if i think an article on madshrimps.be is insipred by a forum thread or somebody elses article, which happens all the time, and i ask you: "why didnt you credit him/them" thats a big deal? how so? if id have said something like "whoa he used this thread/massman and sf3ds findings to create an article without giving them credit, what an sob!" then ok, sure, that would be making it a big deal and out of line... but i know raja for quite some time, so i figured he just forgot it. i used a smiley in both threads originally but then realized it might make the post look rude and edited the posts to remove them... and i think i forgot it in one of the two replies... but even with that smiley i dont see what the big deal is?
    you edited your post, never saw this
    you are making a big of this, nobody else is
    ¨[M] always credits source btw!

also noticed for all the damaged sockets the plastic right at the hinge is either unmarked, or marked with a small 1, 2, or 3. my board has a 4 at the same hinge. any thoughts, is this the socket revision number?
    i5 750::ASUS P7P55D Pro::G.SKILL F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH::Samsung F3 500GB::Sapphire 4850X2::Corsair 650TX::Thermaltake Tsunami::Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus::LG 32LF11

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast