Page 1 of 23 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: P55-UD6 socket burn

I am Xtreme

Exclamation P55-UD6 socket burn

Just a heads up for anyone running the UD6 board: both SF3D and me have had an situation where the socket seems to be burned. My combo is still alive, but SF3D's might be dead.

I'm not pointing fingers or trying to make anyone look bad. Just a heads up; this might be an unfortunate coincidence.

Where courage, motivation and ignorance meet, a persistent idiot awakens.

Team ID - Indonesia
    Burnt out when benching with high vcore ?

I am Xtreme
    Not sure what happened - I'll wait for Petri to post his findings.

Setup still works, by the way, nothing died here:

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=714433

Xtreme Member
    Wow, you got Gigaburned.

I am Xtreme
    TOO MANY PHASES?!
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

I am Xtreme
    3D mark 01 WR attempts come at a price...
    Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 8350 | 2x4GB Trident-X 2600 C10 | 2x ATI HD5870 Crossfire | Enermax Revo 1050watt | OCZ Vertex 3 60GB | Samsung F1 1TB

Watercooling: XSPC Raystorm | EK 5870 Delrin fullcover | TFC X-changer 480 w/ 4x Gentle Typhoon | DDC2+ Delrin top | EK 200mm res | Primochill LRT 3/8 tubing

Case: Murdermodded TJ-07

sub 9 sec. SPi1M 940BE 955BE 965BE 1090T

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nice to see 5.2GHz+ on 750

Quote Originally Posted by To(V)bo Co(V)bo View Post
    This is gonna be way more fun than my wifes tits.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Setup still works, by the way, nothing died here:
    Wow how the hack is still working, i mean it's burn quite bad, you've checked the performance issues may be you've lost some bandiwitdhy, or some FPS in games, i mean the pins might be for IMC or DMI..
    Still it's "ULTRA DURABLE", it burns and it still works..

Xtreme Legend
    i've benched 1.7v loaded with my 870 on it
    no issues here hehehe
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Memory Addict
    Yikes that looks nasty on the cpu side

Good to know combo still works, but will it burn even more while running now ???
    ---

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think that you have problem with condensation. It is easily to make short-circuit if condensation go to the problematic plase.
    Last edited by Spacemaster; 09-18-2009 at 05:55 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by eva2000 View Post
    Good to know combo still works, but will it burn even more while running now ???
    I had the burn a couple of days ago when I used my single stage cooling. Re-ran the setup yesterday evening under LN2 and it didn't got worse. As long as it works, I'll keep using the platform ;-).

Btw, I'm not saying this is a general UD6 error. Maybe it's a end-user up, maybe I did something that caused this. I just posted this because apparently SF3D has had the same issue.

Xtreme X.I.P
    I know what is it ... that 's an issue from the Foxconn socket. Pin's are not solid enough and made short circuit ...
    Last edited by Pt1t; 09-18-2009 at 05:06 AM.
    ***** Visit us on PCWorld.fr *****

Xtreme Member
    I had the same problem with an Asus MF3 during a compo. Motherboard is dead, cpu is still working though. Is now also missing some "contact pads" might be something with bad contact or nog enough power pins to supply enough power when running the cpu overclocked. (Mine died during 3dmark06)

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I've knocked a pad off one of my CPU's as well same kind of location - just looking at the land diagram to see which section it is from. I suspect VTT, but not sure.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by raju View Post
    I've knocked a pad off one of my CPU's as well same kind of location - just looking at the land diagram to see which section it is from. I suspect VTT, but not sure.
    VCC & VSS around there, vcore does this.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by hicookie View Post
    VCC & VSS around there, vcore does this.

Yeah just checked - A38 line.

Mine did not happen on the GB board - but board is ok (no burned socket pins though) - only 1 CPU pad is gone. Did not use any more than 1.50VID.
    Last edited by Raja@ASUS; 09-18-2009 at 05:49 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Oh new socket 1152!!!(massman-sf3d edition)
    I hope it's just a coincidence

Nice Hardware!!!
    Hi all!

I got the same problem, but my CPU is working just like before. Mobo does look bad, but maybe it can be fixed. Setup worked just fine until I shutted it down myself for other reasons.

My Vcore was not even that high. 1.57V maximum. Maybe the issue is load calibration or something reltated to that.

Or it might be bad set of sockets, where current is simply burning the pins down.

Well.. I hope this is just these two boards
    You are as good as your samples are!

PI in the face
    are these retail boards guys?
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

I am Xtreme
    Yes - retail.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Looks like the pins melted and the heat caused the socket to then melt. Amazing the chip still works

Xtreme X.I.P.
    since its the edge of the socket it could very well be insulation... you do use the socket metal thing to clamp down the cpu, right? its leg is right next to those pins, and condensation will form on that metal and then possibly run down into the socket, bam... im not convinced thats what happended, but if you guys had the same thing happen at the same location of the socket... thats not a coincidence... and i doubt vcore is any diferent on those pins then on other vcore and vss pins... so i dont think its some electrical anomally that causes this...

and yeah, modern cpus are really beefy on vcore pins, vtt is their achilles heel, on vcore pins you can roast them for a while before they give up, the only nehalem cpu i heard of that died from vcore for sure was in foxconns labs and it was with 2.4v on air
    instant shutdown and dead...

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    since its the edge of the socket it could very well be insulation... you do use the socket metal thing to clamp down the cpu, right? its leg is right next to those pins, and condensation will form on that metal and then possibly run down into the socket, bam... im not convinced thats what happended, but if you guys had the same thing happen at the same location of the socket... thats not a coincidence... and i doubt vcore is any diferent on those pins then on other vcore and vss pins... so i dont think its some electrical anomally that causes this...

and yeah, modern cpus are really beefy on vcore pins, vtt is their achilles heel, on vcore pins you can roast them for a while before they give up, the only nehalem cpu i heard of that died from vcore for sure was in foxconns labs and it was with 2.4v on air
    instant shutdown and dead...
    yeah mine was clamped properly. I had thought about non contacting pins but that can't be right as only one pin has gone on mine while the surrounding ones are blemish free (no visibly bent pins either). I will try to take a macro pic if I can, there is very little pad left. Looks like some i5 CPU's can have issues when pushed. Mine was not even pushed that hard, I just about got it to 4.8. No moisture anywhere as the whole socket and CPU were completely sealed from the air with eraser. Just one of those things.
    Last edited by Raja@ASUS; 09-18-2009 at 09:39 AM.

Admin
    /resists making sauna joke

Page 1 of 23 123411 ... LastLast