Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help a noob with first water cooling system!

Xtreme Enthusiast

Help a noob with first water cooling system!

Hello all,

This is going to be my first water cooling system, could you please check it out and tell me if I'm missing something and is there any room for improvements?

Xtreme Member
    just a little more tubing would be beneficial (maybe better fans).. but be careful about the dyed coolant. Most people here prefer distilled + colored tubing >.>

Xtreme Guru
    Everything looks good, but I would switch the res out for this one: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/dubayreforla.html
    It costs just a little more, but how a ton of expandability.

I would also drop the coolant and get this tubing: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=23370
    with this fittings: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/bi1cofifor3o.html
    The thicker sidewall is better. Less chance for kinks and you wouldn't need the antikink coils.

Then use distilled water with PT Nuke ir a silver killcoil.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Caoder View Post
    just a little more tubing would be beneficial (maybe better fans).. but be careful about the dyed coolant. Most people here prefer distilled + colored tubing >.>
    I'm going to mount the Rad. inside the case so which fans do you recommend?

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Salamndar View Post
    I'm going to mount the Rad. inside the case so which fans do you recommend?
    S-Flexs or Gentle Typhoons are good choices. Yate Loons work too for a cheap fan.

I perfer the Gentle Typhoon 1850s if you can find them. I haven't looked lately, but last i heard most places were out of stock. The 1450s work too though.

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm going to only buy from sidewinder computers.

What makes the S-Flexs better than the fan I chose?

Xtreme Guru
    I'm going to only buy from sidewinder computers.

What makes the S-Flexs better than the fan I chose?
    Any reason why? Outside USA? You can use Distilled and PT Nuke too, I just prefer the silver as it can't be overdone and virtually never has to be replaced.

The PrimoChill PRO LRT is good tubing, unfortunately Gary doesn't stock it, so you would have to go elsewhere to get it. You could still use you Tygon though, just wouldn't have the color.

The fans had to do with static pressure IIRC. Some fans don't have high static pressure and therefore, don't perform well on rads. You can look over this fan review from Martian. It is a great review. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=223391

Xtreme Member
    You can get Bitspower True Silver fittings from sidewinders, which have the same effect as a kill coil (apparently you need about 4 fittings).

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ascl View Post
    You can get Bitspower True Silver fittings from sidewinders, which have the same effect as a kill coil (apparently you need about 4 fittings).
    O yea, forgot about those. Seems 4-6 has been the number. IIRC Naekuh has been running 6 for some time without issue while others claim 4 work too.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/bitrsi1cofif.html

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have a question, are screws for attaching the fans to the rad included or I have to buy them separately?

Xtreme Guru
    I have a question, are screws for attaching the fans to the rad included or I have to buy them separately?
    Everything is included with Swiftech rads to mount to case and mount 25mm thick fans.

Actually, what case are you using? If you can fit it, I would spend the extra $10 for the MCR320-QP. The 220 will work, but the 320 will allow for more expandability.

edit: I would add a couple of these, some 45s, and and some extenders. You will also need some fatter o-rings or I use these adapters on my Swiftech rad. otherwise you could have a leak as the stock o-rings don't seal properly on those rads.

The HK requires adapters to mount comp fittings to it and so do other blocks, so it is a good idea to an extra 45 and a couple of extenders lying around when using them.
    Last edited by millertime359; 09-16-2009 at 06:03 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    OK, I use TT Spedo case, I made some changes to the list, I want to mount one rad at the rear and one rad. at the top.

Please check the new list.

Xtreme Guru
    The EK block is a nice block, but the HK is a bit better. I would stick with it, but it will cost you a bit more. Take a look at this review. The Ek should be able to mount the comp fittings without any additional fittings, but I still would order some to have. It has happened to me that you are putting together your loop and missing a key 45 or 90 degree fitting.

Did you see my edit?

edit: everything else looks good.

edit2: with mounting the 2 rads, make certain you look your case over and make measurements to see how will run the tubes so that you are certain ou won't need any 90s.
    Last edited by millertime359; 09-16-2009 at 06:13 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The back plate for the HK is out of stock at sidewinder, I live outside the USA, in Saudi Arabia.

Can you point me to what I am missing in sidewinder web page please!

Thx

Xtreme Guru
    The back plate for the HK is out of stock at sidewinder, I live outside the USA, in Saudi Arabia.

Can you point me to what I am missing in sidewinder web page please!

Thx
    Ok, I figured you were out of the USA. I just wanted to make certain.

I linked all the fittings in an above post except the 90's. I prefer these, but sometimes you find you have to use these.

If you can afford it, I would order a couple of each of those fittings. You may not need them, but it will be a lot cheaper than paying shipping on one of those fittings if you do.

I would also order those adapters for the rad so you don't have to worry about trying to find thicker o-rings.

Xtreme Cable Management Freak
    Personally i think you should do distilled water and the Primochill 1/2" tubing... very very VERY nice tubing.. can i make a recommendation aswell? i HATED my tt spedo, so if you havnt purchased it yet, take a look around, possibly the Corsair 800D... i didnt like the TT spedo at all for any sort of watercooling... so i now have a TJ-07, but i would also strongly recommend the 800D, you can fit a double in the top with absolutely no modding
    Project: HeadShot
    Intel i7 3770k | Corsair H100
    EVGA GTX-590 Classified | XSPC GTX 590 Waterblock
    Gigabyte G1.Sniper 2 MotherBoard | Swiftech MCR-320 Res/Rad/Pump
    16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile Ram
    Crucial M4 128GB / Intel X25-M 160GB / WD 1TB Black
    Corsair AX850W PSU
    27" Apple Cinema Display (2560x1440)
    Corsair 600t White
    Picture

You best be Crunching and Folding/GPUgrid'ing!

Xtreme Member
    Correct me if am wrong, but the MCP355 pump come with a 3/8 barb top fitting, you gonna need another top to get 1/2 barb on this

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Ced-G60 View Post
    Correct me if am wrong, but the MCP355 pump come with a 3/8 barb top fitting, you gonna need another top to get 1/2 barb on this
    Look his list over again, the XSPC res replaces the stock top.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime359 View Post
    Look his list over again, the XSPC res replaces the stock top.
    I did not see that at first, that explain

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MaByBoI View Post
    Personally i think you should do distilled water and the Primochill 1/2" tubing... very very VERY nice tubing.. can i make a recommendation aswell? i HATED my tt spedo, so if you havnt purchased it yet, take a look around, possibly the Corsair 800D... i didnt like the TT spedo at all for any sort of watercooling... so i now have a TJ-07, but i would also strongly recommend the 800D, you can fit a double in the top with absolutely no modding
    I've been using this TT spedo for a year now, I'm not going to change it any time soon !
    SO I have to live with that !

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Guys is there a way to contact Gary from sidewinder computers?

Xtreme Guru
    Guys is there a way to contact Gary from sidewinder computers?
    E-mail is the best. It seems he is never fair from the computer.

sales@sidewindercomputers.com

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Wow really Gary is a pro. I emailed him and withen less than 2 hours he replied!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    OK, I use TT Spedo case, I made some changes to the list, I want to mount one rad at the rear and one rad. at the top.

Please check the new list.

Guys one more thing, what should I expect from this system, I mean is it feasible to give a better cooling than let's say Swiftech Apex 220 by a good margin ?

Xtreme Guru
    Wow really Gary is a pro. I emailed him and withen less than 2 hours he replied!
    Yep, he's replied back to me within 30 mins before when I have sent an e-mail to him at 10 at night his time.

The EK is a slightly better block than the GTZ. You have more rad space, and you have some decent fans. It should perform well. You should be fine.

The nice thing about that kit is you can get another MCP355 and run your CPU on its own loop, and add in sli or tri-slied GPUs on their own loop. It has alot of expandability.

If you only have 1 GPU, you can easily add it to the loop you have there.

Also, you do have TIM right? MX-2 still works pretty well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast