Thread: Got myself a new banger

Ker-Pow !

Got myself a new banger

Well with the Summer being over and spending the last 6 months on my 2 bikes I decided to get a cheap car to go to work in and use as a track day hack.

Didnt want anything big due to parking constrants, nor anything juicy as I do ALOT of miles. But I did want good handling, 50/50 weight distro, RWD and most importantly an LSD.

So Ive had a change of career and become a hairdresser !

Yes I bought the ultimate hairdressers car the mazda mx-5. Its a Mk2 1.8 RS limited edition in "pimp gold" colour. Bilstein shocks, strut brace, 6 speed, AC and an LSD as standard. Got it on 70k miles on a 99 plate. The bodywork is superb and its mint inside and even got a new roof. Paid 3150 for it.

Needs 4 new boots and a 4 wheel alignment to get it sorted. Ive recharged the AC, done new plugs, filters and oil. Doing diff and gearbox oil this weekend and then its all nearly sorted.

Even out of alignment its great fun and goes sideways easily and is a piece of cake to control.

Next on the list is a rollcage and a cheap turbo conversion I reckon !

So now Ive got no torque and no power but super handling and balance oh and a nice pair of scissors if anyone fancies a trim !!

Xtreme Member
    Sounds nice.
    Hope you get it hooked up like you want it.

I bet people call you awful names going down the motorway.... with your 120 quid haircut and blowdry and raybans. Even though you have no hair.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] riptide View Post
    I bet people call you awful names going down the motorway.... with your 120 quid haircut and blowdry and raybans. Even though you have no hair.

@thewildblue, any pics?

Ker-Pow !
    Funny thing is if you actually saw my haircut you would notice I have no hair !!! I will get some pics up soon.

Xtreme Cruncher
    *must.... restrain.... self....*
    Main Rig

AMD Athlon X2 3800+ @ 2.8GHz (10x 280MHz) | ABit Kn9 NF4 | 4GB GSkill DDR2 - 800MHz | ATi Radeon HIS HD3870 | 530w Hiper Type M PSU

80GB Western Digital SATA300 Boot Drive | 500GB Western Digital SATA300 Storage Drive | 400GB Western Digital SATA300 Storage Drive | 400GB Seagate Barracuda UDMA IDE Storage Drive | 200GB Samsung Spinpoint UDMA IDE Storage Drive | 160GB Western Digital SATA300 Storage Drive

Windows Server 2008 x64 | Dual Screen: 20" TFT @ 1920x1080 | 19" TFT @ 1440x900

Media Streaming Rig/Spare PC

Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.8GHz | Generic Motherboard | 768mb Kingston DDR - 400MHz | ATi Radeon 9250SE | 350w AOpen PSU

20GB Western Digital IDE Drive

Windows XP Professional x86 w/SP3 | TV/Monitor @ 1920x1080

Entertainment Centre

40" Sony Bravia @ 1920x1080 | Sony Playstation 3 | Microsoft Xbox 360 (RED RING OF DEATH)

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Need to get yourself an LS3 into that car asap

Xtreme Cruncher
    Why didn't you go the whole hog and get a Eunos?

Also, US guys, he bought a Miata.
    Main Rig

AMD Athlon X2 3800+ @ 2.8GHz (10x 280MHz) | ABit Kn9 NF4 | 4GB GSkill DDR2 - 800MHz | ATi Radeon HIS HD3870 | 530w Hiper Type M PSU

80GB Western Digital SATA300 Boot Drive | 500GB Western Digital SATA300 Storage Drive | 400GB Western Digital SATA300 Storage Drive | 400GB Seagate Barracuda UDMA IDE Storage Drive | 200GB Samsung Spinpoint UDMA IDE Storage Drive | 160GB Western Digital SATA300 Storage Drive

Windows Server 2008 x64 | Dual Screen: 20" TFT @ 1920x1080 | 19" TFT @ 1440x900

Media Streaming Rig/Spare PC

Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.8GHz | Generic Motherboard | 768mb Kingston DDR - 400MHz | ATi Radeon 9250SE | 350w AOpen PSU

20GB Western Digital IDE Drive

Windows XP Professional x86 w/SP3 | TV/Monitor @ 1920x1080

Entertainment Centre

40" Sony Bravia @ 1920x1080 | Sony Playstation 3 | Microsoft Xbox 360 (RED RING OF DEATH)

Ker-Pow !
    No its a Roadster, the Eunos is the Mk1, the roadster is the Mk2 import. It appears that the RS model has a higher output as well it seems, closer to 160bhp rather than the 142 as standard.

LS3 is tempting but Im also looking at whacking in a 2/2.3 duratec in there maybe as my friend races a Tiger and says that the engine in it is superb.

I havent bought this car for speed, nor for style (if you can call being a hairdresser stylish), just for a bit of fun and to get me through the winter and do some track days. If I want to go fast I can just jump on the hooligan ZX10R for some ton up wheelies...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaz View Post
    Why didn't you go the whole hog and get a Eunos?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Newcastle Under Lyme - Staffordshire - UK
    Do you have any more specs on the Mk2 Roadster?

I haven't heard of it but from the specs you listed it sounds similar to mine (SE '02 Mk2.5 1.8) although yours has slightly more power. I don't put too much faith in the Torson LSD, it works, to a point but if you floor it hard out of a corner the inside wheel will break away with the other completely planted, i think the Torson has a lower max. torque distribution than other LSD's i.e. Quaife.

I don't know how you like turbos but at least on the Mk-1's a turbo makes them interesting, maybe not in a purely good way, i know two people through our OC with supercharged Mk-2's who swear by them over turbos for daily-drive cars. I drove a Mk-1 turbo a few months ago and it scared the sh*t out of me...

The cars aren't anywhere near as bad for rust as some people (usually non owners) make out but there are two areas on the the car that need to be seen to if you plan on keeping the car for long, both can be inspected by removing the front wheel arch cowlings. These are the sils and the part where the two beams at the side of the engine bay join onto the beam that runs behind the bumper which can rust pretty badly if not looked after.

Apart from that the car is very reliable and everything you use is pretty cheap, it is a very fun car which is awesome in the wet and challenging in the snow / ice. You got paid a good price for it too, right time of year to buy a convertible

Tom
    "What will become of us, will we evolve"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaz View Post

yes, we all know...

Ker-Pow !
    Quote Originally Posted by SoddemFX View Post
    Do you have any more specs on the Mk2 Roadster?

I haven't heard of it but from the specs you listed it sounds similar to mine (SE '02 Mk2.5 1.8) although yours has slightly more power. I don't put too much faith in the Torson LSD, it works, to a point but if you floor it hard out of a corner the inside wheel will break away with the other completely planted, i think the Torson has a lower max. torque distribution than other LSD's i.e. Quaife.

I don't know how you like turbos but at least on the Mk-1's a turbo makes them interesting, maybe not in a purely good way, i know two people through our OC with supercharged Mk-2's who swear by them over turbos for daily-drive cars. I drove a Mk-1 turbo a few months ago and it scared the sh*t out of me...

The cars aren't anywhere near as bad for rust as some people (usually non owners) make out but there are two areas on the the car that need to be seen to if you plan on keeping the car for long, both can be inspected by removing the front wheel arch cowlings. These are the sils and the part where the two beams at the side of the engine bay join onto the beam that runs behind the bumper which can rust pretty badly if not looked after.

Apart from that the car is very reliable and everything you use is pretty cheap, it is a very fun car which is awesome in the wet and challenging in the snow / ice. You got paid a good price for it too, right time of year to buy a convertible

Tom
    The site I found this info about the 160bhp is on my work puter favorites, finding info on the RS is like finding Hens teeth.

Well the LSD works and leaves 2 black lines, the tracking is all out the moment and the tyres are pretty pants so it slides nicely with both wheels at the moment.

Turboing is cheap and if it makes it scary then bring it on, I like a bit of fun !!!
    Last edited by [XC]thewildblue; 09-16-2009 at 09:45 AM.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    I've considered an MX-5 myself, they are cheap cars but so agile. They make great autocross vehicles, I think I'd buy one solely for that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by [XC]thewildblue View Post
    The site I found this info about the 160bhp is on my work puter favorites, finding info on the RS is like finding Hens teeth.

Well the LSD works and leaves 2 black lines, the tracking is all out the moment and the tyres are pretty pants so it slides nicely with both wheels at the moment.

Turboing is cheap and if it makes it scary then bring it on, I like a bit of fun !!!
    Ya... but it'll still be a banger, by long agreed definitions of "banger" here on XS.

Ker-Pow !
    Deffo a banger... ;-)
    Here is the sticker on the side with the RS details.It also redlines at 7500 and pulls all the way there, Im sure Ive read that the normal 1.8 are limited to 7200rpm.

Pimp Gold....mmmm

Xtreme Addict
    Banger.... I thought that meant sausage... you're driving around a sausage? hehe Does banger mean the same thing where you are?
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Judaeus Apella View Post
    Banger.... I thought that meant sausage... you're driving around a sausage? hehe Does banger mean the same thing where you are?
    Yes.... but in car terminology Banger means a car of a certain vintage, and price point... Its an esoteric term. See the US show pimp my ride? Well you can say here "Pimp my Banger"... or as these fine gentlemen said "Skanger me Banger"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGpcKu7kLuY

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Newcastle Under Lyme - Staffordshire - UK
    Here is the sticker on the side with the RS details.It also redlines at 7500 and pulls all the way there, Im sure Ive read that the normal 1.8 are limited to 7200rpm.
    Off the top of my head i don't know what the normal Mk-2's will red line at, but the Mk-2.5 (SVT) 1.8 red lines at 7000. Power comes in at about 3000 and scales up to the limit.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/9687/picture011o.jpg

That is a rare MX-5, i've searched for a good 15mins and i can't find much about it, looks in great condition too, nice buy

Tom
    "What will become of us, will we evolve"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    why does the speedo go to 180mph?

PI in the face
    looks clean OP!

I own this car as well....in gran turismo 4
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] riptide View Post
    Yes.... but in car terminology Banger means a car of a certain vintage, and price point... Its an esoteric term. See the US show pimp my ride? Well you can say here "Pimp my Banger"... or as these fine gentlemen said "Skanger me Banger"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGpcKu7kLuY
    Yay! I learn something new every day.
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC]thewildblue View Post
    No its a Roadster, the Eunos is the Mk1, the roadster is the Mk2 import. It appears that the RS model has a higher output as well it seems, closer to 160bhp rather than the 142 as standard.

LS3 is tempting but Im also looking at whacking in a 2/2.3 duratec in there maybe as my friend races a Tiger and says that the engine in it is superb.

I havent bought this car for speed, nor for style (if you can call being a hairdresser stylish), just for a bit of fun and to get me through the winter and do some track days. If I want to go fast I can just jump on the hooligan ZX10R for some ton up wheelies...
    How hard is it to find LSx engines in the UK? I don't suppose you find them growing on the side of the road like you do here.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Ker-Pow !
    I would imagine they are like hens teeth over here, its prolly easier to get hold of a 20b than an LSX engine.

The speedo goes to 180 as thats the Japanese limit, well 180kph is, this is an import as stated but has had a MPH conversion. Ive only had it round to 105 so far but its got plently left it just wanders a bit at the moment due to the crappy tyres and the alignment being out.

http://www.japanvehicles.com/newcars...dster/main.htm

Thats the link to give the 160bhp for the RS model and the lower ground clearance.
    Last edited by [XC]thewildblue; 09-16-2009 at 10:12 PM.

Xtreme Member
    It's sad that the Miata gets a rep as a girls/gay mans car, its a wonder to drive! Cheap to run & repair as well
    Mobo: ASUS Rampage Formula X48
    CPU: Q6600 @ 3.65ghz 1.472v 406x9
    RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR2-1000PQ @ DDR2-1066
    Graphics: 2x Visiontek HD4870 512MB 811mhz core 1125mhz mem (4500mhz effective)
    Storage: 160GB 2.5 Fujitsu boot, 160GB Seagate & 160GB Western Digital storage
    Optical: Sony NEC Optiarc SATA
    Sound: Asus Xonar DX
    Headphones: Sennheiser HD280Pro w/tack mod
    PSU: Corsair TX750
    Case: Antec P180B (P182 rev)