Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First naked Propus CPU photos and tests,XS exclusive done by mAJORD!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    could the propus be run at a lower voltage for stock settings? if so pls show the watts at the lowest stable voltage
    As I said before, there will be 2,2 and 2,3GHz versions with 45W TDP... I've heard 2,4GHz and possibly 2,5GHz with the new stepping at 45W TDP aswell.
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

I am Xtreme
    yeah im very aware of those, i think one is the 605e that looks great for tasks that wont use L3 and can scale for quads well. i was looking for the real output to see if these were anything too special. looks like dropping the L3 might save 5-10W, but these look like a winner for AMD trying to get the most money per mm2, and for people trying to dip their feet in quads for a nice budget.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    fyi, my mobile penryn i bought more than half a year ago runs 2.3ghz@25W and its faster clock per clock than a phenom2... so... 2.5ghz@45W really wont wow anybody i think... if they can cut this in half for mobile parts itll be interesting... but i doubt thats happening...

I am Xtreme
    when was the last time amd built a cpu for a laptop? phenoms having a max temp of 60C shows right away they were never going to make it into a laptop.

at work we have T9600's in our laptops, 2.8ghz 25W, and it does everything ill ever need, and fast. and battery life is pretty nice too, 5-6 hours of light use on a 6 cell when set to energy saver mode. but i dont even want to ask how much my company pays for these things.

keep in mind, these are gonna be cheap cpus, if they could get them to work at 35W instead of 45W, then we could easily see them being cut in half and sold for 2x the price (each) when used as mobile parts.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    fyi, my mobile penryn i bought more than half a year ago runs 2.3ghz@25W and its faster clock per clock than a phenom2... so... 2.5ghz@45W really wont wow anybody i think... if they can cut this in half for mobile parts itll be interesting... but i doubt thats happening...
    I believe it's that low when I see what it can pull out of the wall, or some real numbers. 25W for a 2,3GHz quad penryn sounds to good to be true.
    SweClockers.com

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartidiot89 View Post
    I believe it's that low when I see what it can pull out of the wall, or some real numbers. 25W for a 2,3GHz quad penryn sounds to good to be true.
    what do you mean with quad penryn?
    4 penryn dualcore chips on one mcm making an octa core? :P

its a penryn = dualcore

oh wait, were you talking about a mobile quad with 45W tdp?
    why would anybody want a quad in a laptop tho?
    id much rather have have the tdp, lower price, 50-100% more battery life and lower temps with a dualcore...

Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    when was the last time amd built a cpu for a laptop?
    i dont think they ever did...
    the only time they had 2 designs was with their duron, which was meant to be an entry level chip, kinda like celeron, but it was such an awesome design it performed almost as well as their athlons at a notably smaller die size so they stopped the 2 design idea and focussed on making one really good chip and cutting down cache for desktop diferentiation and voltages for mobile parts...

same intel did until the pentium M, then they fed it steroids and made it their race horse...
    then they tried the same again with atom but it failed... i mean seriously, just the idea of it was hilarious... the same engineer that was responsible for creating a bloated huge netburt silicon room heater also known as prescott trying to design an ultra efficient small cpu... it was obvious either perf would suck or tdp would be high... in the end it was even worse, its exactly between being slow but really energy efficient and not that energy efficient but really fast for its segment, too hot for phones and mids etc, and too slow for netbooks/notebooks...
    Last edited by saaya; 09-15-2009 at 08:50 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    what do you mean with quad penryn?
    4 penryn dualcore chips on one mcm making an octa core? :P

its a penryn = dualcore
    Aha ok, but this whole thread is about Propus which is a native Quad-Core without L3 that will have a 45W TDP.
    SweClockers.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12