Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ASUS MAXIMUS III Formula Review

Quote Originally Posted by sacha35 View Post
    Hi Edo, I can not say if that cooler will fit on this Motherboard as I don't have one, but if it is for socket 1156 then you will have no problems at all as all the heatsinks are very low profile so you should not have any problem at all.
    thank you sacha
    could you post a pic with mobo turned on ?
    Maximus III Formula - i7 860 4Ghz - 4 GB Gskill Ripjaws 2Ghz - Powercolor 5850 1000/1250 VF3000A - XFI Titanium Fatality - WD3200AAKS RAID 0 - Maxtor 500 Gb - Wd 5000AAKS - Enermax 625W modu82+ - Case CM690 - CM TX3

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by edo View Post
    thank you sacha
    could you post a pic with mobo turned on ?
    Will do for you but give me a few days.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    A little update with WIn xp

7M 20s, still some work to do but getting there.

860 4.4 on air on Max III

Excellent review on Asus Maximus III Formula !

This is an awesome board Asus delivered on this one.

I really like this board and ROG connect. Easily got i7 860 to 4.4 on air with the new Zalman HSF and RipJaws DDR3 2000.

Mobo - Asus RE II Gene
    CPU - Core i7 920 D0 - Memory - G Skill DDR3 1600 3x2GB 8-8-8-21 1.6V
    CPU HSF - Prolimatech Mega Shadow - Deluxe Edition
    GPU - MSI GTX 770 [COLOR="Red"]
    Monitor - Planar 27"
    OS - Windows 7 Professional
    Heatware

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Today I used the OC station with the Maximus III and managed to overclock the CPU a little bit better than just using the Bios with this same CPU.

5280Mhz.
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=721869

Quote Originally Posted by rkgriffin View Post
    Where you able to mount the Corsair AirFlow fans onto the those new memory mounts?
    Yes on this Motherboard but some of the others this will not be possible, as there are no lugs at all to hold the bracket.
    I got my board today and it looks like Asus has updated the memory mounts on the Maximus III Formula so they are like their other P55 boards in that there is no logs at all on one end of the slots. So basically the Corsair AirFlow fans can no longer be used unless you do some sort of mod.

Not sure the fan kit would work with the heat sinks I wanted to use anyway. Now I have to decide to keep the Dominator GT memory and not use the fan kit or exchange them for Gskill RipJaws or Mushkin RedLines.

Thanks again Sacha, great review/thread.

EDIT: Even though there is no lip on the bottom of the mounts I was able to have the fan fit work when the motherboard is up right and not on a bench. Gravity basically hangs it off the top lip. On a bench the fan slides down and sits on the memory.
    Last edited by rkgriffin; 09-21-2009 at 08:04 PM.

Xtreme Member

Why is it missing the lcd connector and I/O shield light from original motherboard? Look at the corner.
    Last edited by damtachoa; 09-23-2009 at 10:58 PM.
    CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula Graphics: Asus GTX 670 DCII TOP RAM: CORSAIR PLATINUM 16GB DDR3 1866
    Hard Drive: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB Cooling: Corsair H100i OS: Window 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 Monitor: Samsung S27B970D PLS LED
    Keyboard: Logitech MK700 Combo Power: Corsair Gold AX750W 80 Plus Case: NZXT 410 ELITE Speaker: Logitech X530

The new MFIII looks really well!

Is it possible to read out the temperatures of board?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by damtachoa View Post

Why is it missing the lcd connector and I/O shield light from original motherboard? Look at the corner.
    Wow your right, they are not the same, I hope it comes with the lcd connector and I/O shield light

are this mem 100% ok for MIIIF ?

gskill 2000mhz cl9 ripjaws
    http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=227
    Maximus III Formula - i7 860 4Ghz - 4 GB Gskill Ripjaws 2Ghz - Powercolor 5850 1000/1250 VF3000A - XFI Titanium Fatality - WD3200AAKS RAID 0 - Maxtor 500 Gb - Wd 5000AAKS - Enermax 625W modu82+ - Case CM690 - CM TX3

Xtreme Enthusiast

I cannot comment of the picture you have shown, all I can say is the one ASUS sent me was a retail item so take everything as to the pictures I have shown.
    I cannot see this motherboard having the plug in display as it has ROG connect which shows and does much more than the tweak it display, anyway as said look at the pictures I have posted as this is a retail item from ASUS HQ.

Quote Originally Posted by elle View Post
    The new MFIII looks really well!

Is it possible to read out the temperatures of board?
    Using the ROG connect tool you will be able to see all temperatures and adjust voltages and speeds of the Maximums III, you can also use ASUS PC probe which will show you temperatures and TurboV to change voltages or speeds but these are software item that poll, so the best thing to use is the ROG connect tool.

are this mem 100% ok for MIIIF ?

gskill 2000mhz cl9 ripjaws
    http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=227
    Yes the gskill memory will work fine, but if you can afford it you should be looking at some 2200MHz Cas 8 memory kits for this platform as it will offer you more than the kit you have listed.

so there are sensors for NB and voltage converter on the board?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    so there are sensors for NB and voltage converter on the board?
    There is no NB sensor as these motherboards do not have a N/B on them now as it is on the CPU, please see below of voltage and temperature readings.

RC Connect

RC Poster display

Yes the gskill memory will work fine, but if you can afford it you should be looking at some 2200MHz Cas 8 memory kits for this platform as it will offer you more than the kit you have listed.
    thank you.. 2200mhz is 270€, i have just bought 2000mhz just 99€ in shop..probably i could get 2100mhz vdef

just ordered MIIIF+860+coller masterx TX3 and the mem module above

later i'm planning to fill mem slots reaching 8gb

Xtreme Enthusiast
    thank you.. 2200mhz is 270€, i have just bought 2000mhz just 99€ in shop..probably i could get 2100mhz vdef

just ordered MIIIF+860+coller masterx TX3 and the mem module above

later i'm planning to fill mem slots reaching 8gb
    Looks like a nice setup you have coming, you will love the board it does just what you want it to, if you get a chance to play with ROG connect it will blow you away with its full features and enhancement's in overclocking.

Looks like a nice setup you have coming, you will love the board it does just what you want it to, if you get a chance to play with ROG connect it will blow you away with its full features and enhancement's in overclocking.
    i'll use it for sure with my notebook ..great feature.. hope i'll get the same satisfations as on MIIF

Sacha do you think my XFi titanium hurts on heatsink when install on first pciex 1X ? or 1x socket is higher than heatsink with lighted logo ? causeTitanium is longer than xfi coming with mobo..

sorry for my english
    Last edited by edo; 09-25-2009 at 04:23 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    if you get a chance to play with ROG connect it will blow you away with its full features and enhancement's in overclocking.
    sacha35, how does the ROG connect work, just load the software to another machine and run it from there?

Also, what about the Asus OC Station? Would this be better to use?

i'll use it for sure with my notebook ..great feature.. hope i'll get the same satisfations as on MIIF

Sacha do you think my XFi titanium hurts on heatsink when install on first pciex 1X ? or 1x socket is higher than heatsink with lighted logo ? causeTitanium is longer than xfi coming with mobo..

sorry for my english
    I have this board and the X-Fi Fatal1ty. It will fit in the top slot but it definitely lays on top of (touches) the ROG heat sink. I haven't setup the board yet since I am waiting for a new CPU bracket so I don't know what type of heat (if any) that ROG heat sink gives off.

Personally I am not liking it touching like that so I am either going to install it in the bottom PCI-E slot or just use the onboard sound. I am leaning towards onboard sound since I just have 2.1 speakers and I plan to eventually run two video cards with the Asus 6GB sata card in the bottom slot.

Xtreme Member
    I love this review with the board. I'm thinking to get one when 5870x2 come out.
    CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula Graphics: Asus GTX 670 DCII TOP RAM: CORSAIR PLATINUM 16GB DDR3 1866
    Hard Drive: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB Cooling: Corsair H100i OS: Window 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 Monitor: Samsung S27B970D PLS LED
    Keyboard: Logitech MK700 Combo Power: Corsair Gold AX750W 80 Plus Case: NZXT 410 ELITE Speaker: Logitech X530

Xtreme Member
    Today I used the OC station with the Maximus III and managed to overclock the CPU a little bit better than just using the Bios with this same CPU.

5280Mhz.
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=721869

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...PUz5280MHz.jpg
    Great review!

Did you reach this 5ghz with aircooler or what?
    i7 3930k + Koolance CPU-370 + MCP35X + Black Ice GTX360 + Hailea HC-500A + Alphacool VPP655 || Asus Rampage IV Black Edition + EK-FB Asus R4BE || 4 x4GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400C9 || 4x Sapphire HD 7970 OC + Koolance VID-AR797 + RP-452X2 + 2x MCP655-B + 2x Black Ice GTX360 || SSD OCZ Vertex 3 240GB + Agility 3 60GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB + WD VelociRaptor 300GB + 2x Seagate 1.5TB 32MB + Seagate 3TB || 2x Corsair AX1200W || Logitech Z-5500 + G13 + G500s + G930 || Mountain Mods Extended Ascension || Dell U2711 27"

@sacha35

sorry my mistake!! the p55 has of course no nb!

thx for the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by rkgriffin View Post
    I have this board and the X-Fi Fatal1ty. It will fit in the top slot but it definitely lays on top of (touches) the ROG heat sink. I haven't setup the board yet since I am waiting for a new CPU bracket so I don't know what type of heat (if any) that ROG heat sink gives off.

Personally I am not liking it touching like that so I am either going to install it in the bottom PCI-E slot or just use the onboard sound. I am leaning towards onboard sound since I just have 2.1 speakers and I plan to eventually run two video cards with the Asus 6GB sata card in the bottom slot.
    changing slots shouldn't be a problem

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dctokyo View Post
    sacha35, how does the ROG connect work, just load the software to another machine and run it from there?

Also, what about the Asus OC Station? Would this be better to use?
    Yes the ROG connect works from another PC or laptop, with the ROG connect software installed onto that system, once you boot the MIIIF you then have full control over the setup from another system, this is great for squeezing every last bit out from the MIIIF with no interference of that O/S.
    The OC station is also a great tool as it does the same sort of job as ROG connect, given the choice between the ROG connect or OC station I would say there is not much difference in overclocking performance, both have a great bling factor the OC station with its fan controllers and display panel coupled with all the tweaking tools and the ROG connect giving you all the tools to change settings on the fly just like and F1 team does with their cars.

I love this review with the board. I'm thinking to get one when 5870x2 come out.
    A 5870x2 would be a nice card to have with this setup, thanks again for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by WCRF View Post
    Great review!

Did you reach this 5ghz with aircooler or what?
    Thank you for your kind comments but ASUS have done a great job with this motherboard so all credit goes to them, the 5380MHz was done using my cascade with some cooper shims as -130 was just a bit too cold for the setup, I would say I was running temps at around -95c for the MHz you see.

@sacha35

sorry my mistake!! the p55 has of course no nb!

thx for the pics.
    No problem mate, and again thank you for your kind comments, ASUS have done a great job with this motherboard which made it much easier to do this review.

great review, imbalicios board
    my English is very

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by clear cmos View Post
    great review, imbalicios board
    Thanks mate but as said all credit has to go to ASUS

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast