Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ASUS MAXIMUS III Formula Review

Xtreme Enthusiast

ASUS MAXIMUS III Formula Review

Introduction
    ASUS MAXIMUS III Formula
    ASUS has always been at the forefront of motherboard innovation and their track record lately certainly speaks for itself being The No1 Motherboard Manufacturer in the World, while they are just as well known for affordable solutions.

I've always been impressed with the features that come on Asus' "Republic of Gamers" motherboards and the Maximus Formula III is certainly no exception to the ROG trademark, Complete with full features such as ROG Connect, MemOK and Probe-It.

In today’s review I will be taking a look at the newest board to be graced with the ROG name (the Maximus III Formula) ASUS have added some nice touches and BIOS refinements plus unique features to this board, the Maximus III Formula gets a load of features that are aimed squarely at the gamer and hardcore enthusiast so Let's take a Look around this board and see what it has to offer.

Features
    Republic of Gamers
    Green ASUS
    Intel LGA 1156 Lynnfield Processor
    Intel P55 Express Chipset
    SLI/Crossfire On Demand
    Dual Channel DDR3 2133 (OC) MHz
    PCIe 2.0
    ROG Connect
    GameFirst
    MemPerfect
    Speeding HDD
    iROG
    CPU Level Up
    MemOK
    Extreme Tweaker
    ProbeIt
    Voltimeter LED
    Component Overheat Protection EX (COP EX)
    Loadline Calibration
    SupremeFX X-Fi sound card
    Noise filter
    Onboard switches
    Q-Fan Plus
    Kapersky Anti-Virus
    ASUS EZ DIY
    ASUS Q-Shield
    ASUS Q-Connector
    ASUS OC Profile
    ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3
    ASUS EZ Flash 2
    ASUS EPU
    ASUS CPR

Click link to see slide show.

Specifications
    CPU
    Intel Socket 1156 Core™ i7 Processor/Core™ i5 Processor/ Supports Intel® Turbo Boost Technology Refer to www.asus.com for Intel CPU support list

Chipset
    Intel® P55 Express Chipset

Memory
    4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR3 2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
    Dual Channel memory architecture
    Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs.

Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
    Please refer to www.asus.com or user manual for the Memory QVL(Qualified Vendors List).

Multi-GPU Support
    2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (red) support single at x16 or dual at x8 mode
    1 x PCIe x16 (white) supports at x4 mode
    2 x PCIe x1
    2 x PCI 2.2
    Supports NVIDIA® SLI™ Technology / ATI® CrossFireX™ Technology

Storage
    6 xSATA 3.0 Gb/s ports
    Intel Matrix Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,5,10
    JMicron® 322 controller and 2 x JMicron® 363 controllers:
    2 x SATA 3.0 Gb/s port (Red) supporting Hardware RAID 0 and 1 (SPD_HDD1 + SPD_HDD2)
    1 x External SATA 3.0 Gb/s port (SATA On-the-Go)
    2 x SATA 3.0 Gb/s port (White) - SATA_ODD1 + SATA_ODD2

LAN
    Realtek® RTL8110SC Gigabit LAN controller
    GameFirst

Audio
    SupremeFX X-Fi discrete Audio Card
    8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
    EAX® Advanced™ HD 4.0
    X-Fi CMSS®-3D
    X-Fi Crystalizer™
    Creative ALchemy
    Supports 1 x S/PDIF out header
    Supports Coaxial/Optical S/PDIF out ports on rear
    Blu-ray support

IEEE 1394
    2 x 1394a ports (1 port at back I/O, 1 port onboard)

USB
    14 USB 2.0/1.1 ports (5 ports at mid-board, 9 ports at back panel)

Overclocking Features
    Extreme Engine Power Design
    16-phase CPU power
    3-phase VTT power
    3-phase Memory power
    ROG Connect
    CPU Level Up
    Memory Level Up
    Speeding HDD
    iROG
    Extreme Tweaker
    Loadline Calibration
    Intelligent overclocking tools:
    ASUS AI Booster Utility
    O.C. Profile
    Overclocking Protection:
    COP EX (Component Overheat Protection - EX)
    Voltiminder LED
    ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)

Special Features
    MemOK!
    MemPerfect
    ProbeIt
    Onboard Switches: Power / Reset / Clr CMOS (at rear)
    Q-Fan Plus
    ASUS EPU
    ASUS MyLogo3
    ASUS Fan Xpert
    ASUS EZ Flash 2
    ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3
    ASUS Q-Connector
    ASUS Q-LED (CPU, DRAM, VGA, Boot Device LED)
    ASUS Q-Slot
    ASUS Q-DIMM

Back Panel I/O Ports
    1 x External SATA
    1 x IEEE 1394a
    1 x LAN(RJ45) port
    1 x Clr CMOS switch
    1 x ROG Connect On/Off switch
    1 x PS/2 Keyboard port (purple)
    9 x USB 2.0/1.1 (1 port for ROG Connect)

Internal I/O Connectors
    3 x USB connectors support additional 5 USB 2.0 ports (1 port reserved for ROG Connect @ rear)
    1 x IEEE 1394a connector
    10 x SATA connectors: 2 x Speeding HDD SATA connectors (Red) / 2 x SATA_ODD (White) / 6 x standard SATA connectors (Gray)
    8 x Fan connectors: 1 x CPU / 1 x PWR / 3 x Chassis / 3 x Optional
    3 x thermal sensor connectors
    1 x 24-pin ATX Power connector
    1 x 8-pin ATX 12V Power connector
    1 x En/Dis-able Clr CMOS header
    5 x ProbeIt measurement points
    1 x ROG light connector
    1 x Go Button
    System panel connector

BIOS
    16 Mb Flash ROM , AMI BIOS, PnP, DMI2.0, WfM2.0, SM BIOS 2.5, ACPI2.0a Multi-Language BIOS

Manageability
    WOL by PME,WOR by PME,PXE

Accessories
    User's manual
    1 x I/O Shield
    1 x ROG Connect Cable
    1 x SLI Cable
    1 x SupremeFX X-Fi Audio Card
    1 x 2-in-1 ASUS Q-Connector Kit
    3 x 2-in-1 SATA signal cables
    1 x 2-port USB2.0 + ESATA module
    1 x Cable Ties
    1 x ROG theme label
    1 x 12-in-1 ROG Cable Label

Support Disc
    ASUS PC Probe II
    ASUS AI Suite
    ASUS Update
    Kaspersky® Anti-Virus
    Support DVD: Drivers and applications
    Sound Blaster X-Fi Utility
    ASUS TurboV EVO utility

ATX Form Factor
    12 inch x 9.6 inch ( 30.5 cm x 24.4 cm )

Front, inside and rear cover of the packaging that houses the ASUS MAXIMUS III Formula.

Accessories and Extras.
    6 SATA Data cables
    6 HDD Labels
    2 USB port/1 Firewire port bracket
    USB Cable
    Q-Shield
    Q-Connector
    SupremeFX Sound card
    Driver CD
    Crossfire Bridge
    User Guide

The ASUS ROG Maximus III is the ROG P55 based motherboards from ASUS is built with the gamer and hardcore enthusiast in mind and includes features that set it apart from the rest of the ASUS P55 series boards.

The first thing we notice is the colour scheme used it is black and red, The Maximus III board includes features you will not see on the non ROG line P7P55D series such as ROG Connect, Game First and the Go button. Stack Cool construction is used on the Maximus using a 2oz copper layer for better electrical conductivity and heat distribution.

On the back side of the board you can see the 1156 socket back plate as well as the fact that the other heatsinks are bolted on to the motherboard.

The Maximus III Formula has rows of low-profile solid-state polymer aluminium capacitors next to the VRM heatsinks on the 16+3 phase power circuit which incorporate various power saving features to increase its efficiency and improve electrical stability when overclocked

The heatsink in the middle lights up when the board is powered up.

ASUS have included four DIMM Slots which can accommodate up to 16GB allowing DDR3-2133 (OC) memory to be installed, the memory controller is on the CPU, meaning that the Core i5 CPU will natively support DDR3-1333MHz. memory, but the board will support much higher clocks when overclocked.

the memory retention method is a bit different from what has been used in the past. On one end the locking mechanism pushes straight down rather than rotating into place

ProbeIt, The side edge of the board has five positions where you can measure voltages using a multi-meter, the voltage measurement points are available in an easy to use location and include check points for the CPU pll volts, PCH volts, the CPU Vcore, Dram and the IMC volts, you will also notice some small LED's to the left, The LEDs are part of the Q LED system that can help with diagnostics.

The Go button automatically overclocks the CPU when in Windows to a given preset with the press of the button.

The heasink over the PCH is massive on the bottom side of the ROG Maximus III Formula

The P55 Express chipset natively support six SATA ports which this board has in the sideways facing orientation. This prevents a large video card from interfering with the SATA ports .

ASUS have also included six further SATA ports, two next to the memory slots

Two Speed HDD SATA ports on the bottom side of the board.

The 1394a Header can be connected to the PCI bracket or case

There are three full-length that supports both ATI Quad-GPU CrossfireX and nVidia Quad-GPU SLI PCI Express 2.0 x16 (red) support single at x16 or dual at x8 mode and PCIe x16 (white) supports at x4 mode slots on the board, The board also has two PCI Express x1 slots and two legacy PCI slots.

Easy access to the power and reset buttons

Onboard sound on the motherboard is provided by a Supreme X-Fi add-in card that is installed in the first slot of the motherboard, The card offers support for Creative Lab’s EAX 4.0 effects, which is more advanced than the 2.0 effects supported by most other onboard audio solutions from Realtek.

The Rear I/O
    9 x USB ports, 1 x USB port for the ROG Connect, a Clear CMOS button, a IEEE-1394 port, a RJ-45 jack for the onboard Gigabit LAN, PS/2 keyboard port and an external SATA port.

The Bios
    Click link to see slide show.

Test System
    Intel Core i7 LGA-1156 870 CPU Stock Air cooled.
    4GB Corsair CMGS2GX3M1A2200C8 ES1 Cas 8 memory running at 2200MHz
    ASUS maximus III Formula
    ASUS MATRIX GTX285/HTDI/1GD3/A
    Samsung HD322HJ
    Enermax 1000W PSU
    Windows 7 32-bit stock install with no tweaks.

Before running any tests i needed to find out what the system was capibale of give my in regards clocks as only stock air cooled parts are used at this time.

Intel Core i7 LGA-1156 870
    Maximum 221 Bclock using Intel's Stock Air cooled heatsink

Maximum CPU 4584MHz using Intel's Stock Air cooled heatsink

4GB Corsair CMGS2GX3M1A2200C8 ES1 Cas 8 memory

Now to see what sort of speeds I could get from the Air cooled memory.
    2408MHz Cas 8, not to bad for air cooled sticks

Now for the Tests

• ROG Connect tests ( This is done from another PC or laptop)
    • Wprime 1024m and 32m
    • PiFast
    • Supper PI 32M
    • Cinebench
    • Everest catch and memory
    • 3Dmark 03
    • 3Dmark 05
    • 3Dmark 06
    • 3Dmark Vantage

RC Connect tweakIT

RC Poster display

Wprime 1024m and 32m

PiFast

Supper PI 32M

Cinebench

Everest catch and memory

3Dmark 03

3Dmark 05

3Dmark 06

3Dmark Vantage

Conclusion
    What you have with the ROG Maximus III Formula is a board that looks ready to carry the ROG nameplate into the next generation with its sexy looks and full features, as you'd expect from the Asus board, the Maximus III has a superb layout and all the connectors on the board are just where you'd expect to find them, it is full of features with Speeding HDD, GameFirst A unique traffic shaping technology and SupremeFX X-Fi that delivers the most realistic and accurate audio.

The range of ROG motherboards from ASUS has always been a favourite with the extreme overclocker and the Maximus III offers a high degree of overclocking features and the ability to tweak the board using ROG connect, which is the same sort of technology that is used in Formula one teams use to tune their cars so In terms of features the ASUS Maximus III Formula board delivers with CPU Level Up and MemPerfect settings that set it apart from the competition.

the performance is there as well but Just when I thought that things couldn't get any better than my recently reviewed Asus P7P55D Deluxe motherboard, Asus prove me totally wrong with the Maximus III Formula, Not only does the Maximus III have all the best features of every Asus "Republic of Gamers" board before it, but it also adds a multitude of extra BIOS options, tweaking tools and insane voltage selections.

Overall, for the serious overclocker going the P55 route, this is the board to beat, The results in all the tests that I did were better than the P7P55D Deluxe motherboard even when I used a core i5 750 CPU, not by much but every little helps and the overall features and settings are better suited to overclocking, don't get me wrong the P7P55D Deluxe motherboard is a great motherboard that will appeal to many users, but if overclocking is your thing then it has to be the ASUS Maximus III Formula for the reasons stated above.

thanks for sharing sacha
    love to see black and red match

what you think about memory config? better than other asus board u tested?
    Quote Originally Posted by LardArse View Post
    i think you are asking the wrong person about safety limits, but

Xtreme Member
    Very nice. Thank you for the review.

Could you check something though:
    If you've got any PCIe x1 cards longer than the included audio module could you please try fitting one in the first x1 slot to see if it clears the "NB" heatsink? Thanks in advance.

Xtreme Addict
    No bad words to say about it? Come on, it can't be perfect. Its asus after all
    Computer: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Asus P8P67 Evo | Corsair LP 16gb 1600CL9 | Silver Arrow | Essence STX | Crucial m4 128gb | Silverstone Raven 3|

Video: 2x Sapphire 6950 Toxic 2gb @ 6970 Switch @ 880 / 1350 | Asus VG248QE |

Audio: ODAC+O2 => JH|13 Pro | STX => ATH-AD700X / Audioengine A5

Banned
    1st Thanks for review.

Asus are getting lame, bare min on the Rear I/O, the usual 1 ESATA (used to be 2 on the 680I) and now only 1 NIC after years of all High end Asus Mobos having 2 NIC's.

Asus should not have stuck that massive ugly Heatsink on the bottom of all their P55 Mobos, it is not needed as they run cool, other vendors use a smaller Heatpipes connected one and looks far better.

The MSI is probably the nicest looking P55 but they don't perform the same.

I also see on all the P55's and new CPU's we are back to 1.4v+ just to get 4GHZ, same as the 65nm CPU days with E6850 and Q6600 (if you got lucky and even got 4GHZ on them), also this issue about PCI-E clock being tied to the new CPU's and can rise as you OC.

Think I will wait on 32nm and new Steppings next time around and see if it drops to 1.1v (ish) like current E8600 and Q9650's.

I have read all week and not 1 Mobo makes me happy, all have 1 or 2 things I do not like.

+1 to sacha

wondering will the ocz hydroflow wb compatible with socket 1156?

Xtreme Member
    Nice review,
    Thanks

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by hiwa View Post
    thanks for sharing sacha
    love to see black and red match

what you think about memory config? better than other asus board u tested?
    Hi Hiwa
    Yes from what I have seen so far the memory config table is better, ASUS have done something to this board that makes the memory performance better as well with the timings.

Quote Originally Posted by sholvaco View Post
    Very nice. Thank you for the review.

Could you check something though:
    If you've got any PCIe x1 cards longer than the included audio module could you please try fitting one in the first x1 slot to see if it clears the "NB" heatsink? Thanks in advance.

Hi sholvaco
    Sorry but I do not have a PCI x1 long card to test this out but I will say the heat sink is very low about the same height as the PCI x1 port so any long card installed should clear this heatsink.

OCTeamHungary™
    Hey Paul,

check BIOS 0042 and you'll see much more stability on RAMs

Thanks for taking the time for the review!

Has anyone found a copy of the user guide online yet? I am wondering if Asus has made any changes to the Speeding HD so that you can use an OS drive using Raid 0. I ask since I want to run six other hard drives off the Intel Sata ports. Also do the White Sata ports really only support optical drives?

-100c Club Member
    great reveiw paul

alot of work there mate
    1. The first rule of Bench Club is, you do not talk about Bench Club
    2. The second rule of Bench Club is, you do not talk about Bench Club
    3. If someone says stop, goes limp, taps out, the the benching is over
    4. No bummers in the batcave, apart from unkie dave
    5. One Bench at a time
    6. No air, no water
    7. Benching will go on as long as they have to
    8. If this is your first night at Bench Club, you have to Bench

Xtreme Mentor
    nice review but i am choosing between MAX III and Tpower I55
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

request for Oc memory

@Ts, request to OC memory on not binding timing, couse in P55 frequency of memory so very high. thanks

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by joxus_winner View Post
    @Ts, request to OC memory on not binding timing, couse in P55 frequency of memory so very high. thanks
    2408MHz Cas 8, not to bad for air cooled sticks

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by core_tracer View Post
    +1 to sacha

wondering will the ocz hydroflow wb compatible with socket 1156?
    I cannot see why not but I would think you would need a new mounting bracket as the holes on the socket 1156 are different to 1366 and 775

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Bios update available 0801, This version improves “Low voltage on Vcore and IMC”.

0801 Bios Download

Where you able to mount the Corsair AirFlow fans onto the those new memory mounts?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rkgriffin View Post
    Where you able to mount the Corsair AirFlow fans onto the those new memory mounts?
    Yes on this Motherboard but some of the others this will not be possible, as there are no lugs at all to hold the bracket.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Today I managed to get the cascade to run a little wormer with some 2P coins used as spacers between the Evap and CPU as -130c was far too cold for i5, the end result was having a Die temp of around -100c give or take a few c.

After playing with a few settings I managed to run Supper PI 32M at 4970Mhz with a final time of 7M 36s which is not that great but considering the Supper Pi was run on a very old windows 7 O/S with no tweaks at all I do think the end result was too bad, but will try a few tweaks on a good OS next time to see what sort of improvements can be made.

Sorry for the black background but as said this was a very old copy of win 7 that needed activating so did not have the option of changing the screen background.
    Last edited by sacha35; 09-17-2009 at 09:01 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Great review! Thank you! MIIIF ROCKS!

Intel Q9650 @500x9MHz/1,3V
    Asus Maximus II Formula @Performance Level=7
    OCZ OCZ2B1200LV4GK 4x2GB @1200MHz/5-5-5-15/1,8V
    OCZ SSD Vertex 3 120Gb
    Seagate RAID0 2x ST1000DM003
    XFX HD7970 3GB @1111MHz
    Thermaltake Xaser VI BWS
    Seasonic Platinum SS-1000XP
    M-Audio Audiophile 192
    LG W2486L
    Liquid Cooling System :
    ThermoChill PA120.3 + Coolgate 4x120
    Swiftech Apogee XT, Swiftech MCW-NBMAX Northbridge
    Watercool HeatKiller GPU-X3 79X0 Ni-Bl + HeatKiller GPU Backplate 79X0
    Laing 12V DDC-1Plus with XSPC Laing DDC Reservoir Top
    3x Scythe S-FLEX "F", 4x Scythe Gentle Typhoon "15", Scythe Kaze Master Ace 5,25''

Apple MacBook Pro 17` Early 2011:
    CPU: Sandy Bridge Intel Core i7 2720QM
    RAM: Crucial 2x4GB DDR3 1333
    SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD
    HDD: ADATA Nobility NH13 1GB White

-_-
    great review Sacha

I noticed you used the new BIOS for that 32M run. Did you experience any improvements with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
    I'll add my name to this elpida graveyard as soon I even think about running 32M. (yes, the thought is enough)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian y. View Post
    great review Sacha

I noticed you used the new BIOS for that 32M run. Did you experience any improvements with it?
    It's hard to say as I flashed this bios before going cold so cannot say.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Max CPUz and supper Pi 1M at the moment, but still playing so more to come.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=714717

hi guys
    probably i'm going to join you soon with MIIIF selling my rig in sign. i hope to get an i7 860 ( at least i5 750). Does Artic cooling freezer pro rev 2 (1156) fit well on MIIIF ? this mobo rocks
    Maximus III Formula - i7 860 4Ghz - 4 GB Gskill Ripjaws 2Ghz - Powercolor 5850 1000/1250 VF3000A - XFI Titanium Fatality - WD3200AAKS RAID 0 - Maxtor 500 Gb - Wd 5000AAKS - Enermax 625W modu82+ - Case CM690 - CM TX3

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by edo View Post
    hi guys
    probably i'm going to join you soon with MIIIF selling my rig in sign. i hope to get an i7 860 ( at least i5 750). Does Artic cooling freezer pro rev 2 (1156) fit well on MIIIF ? this mobo rocks
    Hi Edo, I can not say if that cooler will fit on this Motherboard as I don't have one, but if it is for socket 1156 then you will have no problems at all as all the heatsinks are very low profile so you should not have any problem at all.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast