Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asus P7P55D Deluxe Review

Xtreme Enthusiast

Asus P7P55D Deluxe Review

Introduction

The No1 Motherboard Manufacturer in the World
    ASUS is the number one manufacturer of motherboards in the world, commanding almost a 40% market share of the motherboard business, one in every three computers houses an ASUS motherboard, Over 24 million motherboards were sold in 2008—the combined length of which equals 10,000 Taipei 101 skyscrapers and 600 Himalaya Ranges.
    As the leader in motherboard innovation, ASUS is constantly at the forefront of advances in technology. Over the years, it has laid claim to countless world’s firsts. It was the first manufacturer to introduce motherboards supporting Serial ATA and AGP8X, P4 CPUs of up to 3GHz and beyond, With its finger on the pulse of the industry and close collaboration with the world’s leading IT enterprises, ASUS will continue to be first to the market with cutting-edge products.

Now let's meet The Asus P7P55D Deluxe

Front, inside and rear cover of the packaging that houses the ASUS P7P55D Deluxe, Accessories and Extras

What's in the Box:
    Manual and Support DVD
    Rear Panel I/O Plate
    TurboV Remote
    Asus Quick Connector Set
    PCI Bracket (USB 2.0 x 2, 1 E-SATA)
    SLI Bridge
    IDE Cable
    6x- SATA Cables

The ASUS P7P55D-Deluxe Motherboard is stunning work of art with a blue, white and black colour scheme, It uses an all solid-state polymer aluminium capacitors that incorporates various power saving features to increase its efficiency and improve electrical stability when overclocked.

The heatsinks are nicely placed on the 16+3 phase motherboard power supply with a thicker copper trace is used in the motherboard's PCB to help spread the heat more evenly this helps to decreases the overall temperature of the mosfet's and other ICs improving component life, there is a total of four fan headers on the PCB, one for the CPU plus one next to it to allow a dual fan configuration to benefit from automatic BIOS control if using a pwm connection.

The four holes around the CPU socket area are spaced differently to the socket 775 and socket 1366 mounting brackets so your old heat sink wont fit

There is easy access to the power and reset buttons.

The ASUS' P7P55D-Deluxe motherboard is a socket 1156 platform that supports both Core i5 and i7 1156 CPU's

It has three PCI Express 2.0 x16 video card slots for multi-graphic card's that supports both ATI Quad-GPU CrossfireX and nVidia Quad-GPU SLI, but if duel cards are used this will drop down to x8 Mode and the other PCI Express 2.0 will run at x4 mode, further expansion comes via two PCI Express x1 and PCI slots, the first two slots are controlled directly by the CPU, which will help to removing some system latency.

There are four dual channel DDR3-1333/1066 memory slots which can accommodate up to 16GB of DDR3 RAM. Memory can be overclocked to run at DDR3-2133/1600 speeds with compatible module, The memory slots has retention clips on the DIMM slots at one end, Previously we have seen clip's at either end but now there is just one at the top of the motherboard with a small retention clip at the bottom.

This makes things easy when removing memory modules when a large graphics card is installed.

The P7P55D-Deluxe motherboard is well equipped - there are nine 3.0Gb/s SATA connectors that can be
    Paired up to make an Intel® Matrix Storage SATA RAID 0,1.5 and 10 on at least six of these SATA connectors.

The SATA ports are set at 90 degrees so as not to interfere with larger PCI-e cards, there are 6 x SATA 3.0 Gb/s ports next to the IDE Socket.

Plus 1 x SATA 3.0 Gb/s port (black) and 2 x SATA 3Gb/s (dark blue and gray) Just below the PCH

There is a total of 14xUSB 2.0 ports, 6 which are on the board next to the power and reset switch and 8 at the back panel.

The 1394a Header can be connected to the PCI bracket or case

There is three switches at the top of the board that can provide extra power to the memory, integrated memory controller and the CPU that allow for over voltages to become available in the BIOS.

The default values are CPU 0.85 - 1.75v, IMC max 1.7v, Dram max 2.0v
    switched OV Values are CPU 1.25 - 2.1v, IMC max 1.9v, Dram max 2.5v

MemOK is a feature that is pretty neat it is a little red button with the purpose to allow the system to boot through running a number of algorithms in order to ensure the memory is stable enough to boot the system at the set values

TurboV socket for remote connection

Realtek RTl8110SC - Gigabit Ethernet controller, and Via VT6308P - 1394

On the rear of the motherboard we have the I/O section which has the Audio Ports, 6xUSB 2.0, 2xLAN (RJ-45), 1xIEEE 1394a, Optical S/PD, Coaxial S/PD, Cmos Clear button, PS/2 mouse port and PS/2 keyboard port

Specifications
    - CPU: Intel Core i7/Core i5 Processors (Socket LGA1156)
    - Chipset: Intel P55 Express
    - Memory: 4x DDR3 DIMM 2133(OC) / 1600 / 1333 / 1066 MHz (Max. 16GB) / Dual Channel / Intel Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
    - Expansion slots: 3x PCIe 2.0 x16 Slots, 2x PCIe x1 Slots & 2x PCI Slots (Supports ATI CrossFireX & NVIDIA SLI Technology)
    - Storage: 1x Ultra DMA 133/100/66, 8x SATA 3Gb/s (RAID 0, 1, 5 and 10) & 1x eSATA 3Gb/s
    - LAN: Dual Gigabit LAN (RTL8112L & RTL8110SC)
    - Audio: VT2020 10-channel High Definition Audio CODEC
    - 2x IEEE 1394a
    - 14x USB 2.0
    - 1x PS/2 Keyboard
    - 1x PS/2 Mouse
    - 1x S/PDIF Out (Optical)
    - 1x S/PDIF Out (Coaxial)
    - 16+3 Phase Power Design
    - TurboV Processor
    - Auto Tuning
    - TurboV
    - TurboV Remote
    - Turbo Key
    - Xtreme Phase
    - T.Probe Microchip
    - MemOK!
    - Drive Xpert
    - EPU
    - Stack Cool3+ (2+2oz)
    - Q-LED
    - Q-Slot (VGA)
    Price: £166.75

The bios is very nicely laid out with plenty of features' but is not to complicated like some I have used in the past, it offers full functionality.

I will not boar you too much but here are a few pictures of the Bios.

let's take a look at what Asus P7P55D Deluxe offers.

One of my favourite features on this motherboard has to be Express gate, this Technology developed by ASUS utilizes Splash top, it is a Linux environment that is integrated onto the motherboard. With this technology users can turn on their computer and in five seconds be able to access the Web, online games, photo's, chat, Skype all without having to wait for the operating system to load.

Test System
    Intel I5 750 running 4000Mhz for all tests.
    4GB Kingston DDR3-1600MHz Cas 8 memory running at 2000MHz Cas 8
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    ASUS MATRIX GTX285/HTDI/1GD3/A using186.18Forceware
    Samsung HD322HJ
    Enermax 1000W PSU
    Windows 7 32-bit stock install and no tweaks.

A quick look at the CPU

Intel core i5 750 PROCESSOR 2.66GHZ part with 8MB CACHE: Price £152.49 inc. VAT

Kingston KHX1600C8D3K2/GX 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL8 DIMM (Kit of 2) XMP Standard 256M X 64 Non-ECC 1600MHz 240-pin Unbuffered DIMM (DDR3, 1.65V, CL8, FBGA: PRICE TO BE CONFIRMED BUT SHOULD BE AROUND £85

First I wanted to play around with the TurboV controller to see what it could do so did not apply any overclock as I wanted to see what this could do on its own.

Auto, the first screen we can see is the Auto settings which allow the user to apply their own settings

Easy, Much the same as above but without advance settings

Auto, this is where things get interesting, TurboV will overclock the motherboard testing settings as it goes to make sure they are stable, this was great to use but it did not change any of the memory timings.

Warning.

Now for the Auto tests

The TurboV controller, this item has Eight button on it

1: on or off.
    2:Turbo Key A
    3:Turbo Key B
    4:Turbo Key C
    5&6:Bus speed + -
    7 :EPU Manual mode
    8:EPU Auto Mode

Using the Bus speed control

EPU 6 Engineis a complete power saving solution.

First test was to see just how far I could push the Kingston memory, I was amassed at these sticks as they could hit 2000MHz Cas 8 1.72V and this is the speed I tested them at for the past few days.

Then tests on the CPU to see what sort of stable clocks it could offer me with the stock air cooler

For testing I used a number of synthetic benchmarks, Supper Pi, Wprime, Pifast, 3Dmark, Everest

Supper PI 32M

Wprime

PIfast

Cinebench

3Dmark03

3Dmark05

3Dmark06

Everest catch and memory at 4000MHz

Everest catch and memory stock settings

Conclusion.

ASUS have made a fantastic motherboard with full factuality plus so much more, in the 4days of testing this motherboard it did not miss a beat and stayed on track all the time pushing the components far beyond their limits all with just air for cooling, the express gate is something that I have always been a big fan off so having a top notch overclocking motherboard that has much more is a win win for me, the handy The TurboV controller is a nice touch and allows the user simple overclocking or power saving options.

ASUS have made overclocking extremely easy and safe on this board and this is possible through a combination of hardware and software methods. The TurboV EVO chip is onboard to work with TurboV EVO (OC tuning software) with Auto Tuning support and TurboV Key (turns your power button into OC button) and go one step further, ASUS have even bundle this board with TurboV remote control that allows you to overclock your system in real-time when playing games or running applications without the need to exit the program plus you can even pre-set some OC profiles and load them up instantly or increase the BCLK 1MHz at a time.

What can I say about core i5 well it will not suppress the socket 1366 core i7 platforms it just was not designed with this in mind but I am sure that it will take over from the Core 2 series as there is a big performance increase to be had with this new platform with energy saving from the 32nm CPU this platform is a win win situation in my eyes

ASUS has done a another masterful job with the P7P55D Deluxe it has a good bundle of software and accessories , good overclocking and all the extra features a user could ever want.

This product is a must for is ease of overclocking plus all given the added features that it offers makes this product had not to have, coupled with the core i5 750 and Kingston Memory and for these reasons alone make this product a must have for all users.

Xtreme Member
    Good job!
    i5-530 - Scythe Big Shuriken - 2x2GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 8-8-8-21 1.5v - Giga-Byte GA-H55M-USB3 - WD Caviar Black 640GB - Antec Earthwatts Green 380W - Silverstone GD05B - APC H15 - Pioneer KRP-500M - Rotel RSX-1567 - Dynaudio Audience 82

i7-920 - Corsair H50 - 3x2GB Corsair DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24 1.65v - Giga-Byte GA-EX58-UD5 - 2 x Sapphire Radeon 4550 - WD Caviar Black 640GB - WD Caviar Green 2TB - Enermax Pro82 525W - Antec 300 - Dell 3007WFP-HC - 2 x Dell 2007FP - Logitech Z-2300

wait black and red series
    what about extreme and high mem and bclk tests sacha ? any plan?

Thanks for sharing
    Quote Originally Posted by LardArse View Post
    i think you are asking the wrong person about safety limits, but

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by hiwa View Post
    wait black and red series
    what about extreme and high mem and bclk tests sacha ? any plan?

Thanks for sharing
    Thanks mate, will be doing a bit of extreme soon I hope, but have a few other bits that need to be reviewed first, as for the memory I don't think the Kingston done to bad when you consider it is only the 1600Mhz kit running 2000MHz at the same Cas, so pushing it 400Mhz over the rated spec with the same Cas 8 level was good I thought.

Anyway will keep you all updated with cold results.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Although I'm also interested in more "Extreme" testing your review was very well done, great job! I'm impressed that you took the time to test and make sure that the motherboards basic features (Express Gate, Turbo V, Auto Tuning, etc...) all worked properly before starting to really push the board to its limits! In general many motherboards these days have much emphasis on overclocking results (because those results help sell products and get a buzz out) but not much on making sure they work as advertised (on the less flashy bits like the ones listed above). With that all said keep up the great work and thanks again for a great initial review on this new product!
    Asus Maximus III Formula (2001)
    Intel i7 860 (L924B516)
    Noctua D14
    Corsairs CMG4GX3M2A2000C2 (2 x 2GB) RAM
    eVGA GTX480
    DD-H20
    BIX GTX360
    MCP35X PWM
    Creative X-Fi Titanium PCI-e
    LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray
    Toughpower 850w Modular
    GSkill Phoenix Pro SSD 120GB

HEAT

Quote Originally Posted by sacha35 View Post
    Thanks mate, will be doing a bit of extreme soon I hope, but have a few other bits that need to be reviewed first, as for the memory I don't think the Kingston done to bad when you consider it is only the 1600Mhz kit running 2000MHz at the same Cas, so pushing it 400Mhz over the rated spec with the same Cas 8 level was good I thought.

Anyway will keep you all updated with cold results.
    As you know are they BBSE too ? and make for P55? may you give us the product code

Xtreme Member
    Awesome piece of kit! The P55 boards look like they will be every bit as stable as the P45 were. My Maximus 2 Formula was rock-solid.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by hiwa View Post
    As you know are they BBSE too ? and make for P55? may you give us the product code
    Kingston KHX1600C8D3K2/GX 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL8 DIMM (Kit of 2)

Kingston KHX1600C8D3K2/GX 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL8 DIMM (Kit of 2)
    thanks

Xtreme Member
    Congratulations sacha35 is a great review!!! Very nice motherboard.

Is really to much diference between i7 and i5?
    Intel C2D E8400 @ 4Ghz // Asus Maximus Formula x38 @ FSB 500Mhz// G.Skill Pi 2x2GB 1000Mhz // 9800GTX+ SSC eVGA // WD Raptor X 150GB + Samsung Spinpoint 2TB // DVD-RW DL Asus // Powercooler 850W // CM Cosmos S // Samsung T260N / Edifier R251 // Logitech G9 // Logitech G15 Rev2

Cooling System: Swiftech Apex Ultra H2O Kit + MCW60

Xtreme Member
    Looks like a solid board! Nice overclock on that Kingston as well

Good job on the review, loved the photos. Looks like ASUS is set to take the 1156 crown.

Anybody notice this on CPU-Z 152.2:

Asus P55 Rev.04

Gigabyte P55 Rev.05

Need a Gigabyte latest BIOS?
    Z370 AORUS Gaming 7,
    GA-Z97X-SOC Force ,Core i7-4790K @ 4.9 GHz
    GA-Z87X-UD3H ,Core i7-4770K @ 4.65 GHz
    G.Skill F3-2933C12D-8GTXDG @ 3100 (12-15-14-35-CR1) @1.66V
    2xSSD Corsair Force GS 128 (RAID 0), WD Caviar Black SATA3 1TB HDD,
    Evga GTS 450 SC, Gigabyte Superb 720W
    XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 (Liquid Ultra)
    NZXT Phantom 630 Ultra Tower
    Win 7 SP1 x64;Win 10 x64

Xtreme Member
    that teal-blue on that board just looks.. well it doesn't look very nice to me.

great mobo, could you post a pic when mobo is turned on?

so i'm not sure if i go for this or M3F
    Maximus III Formula - i7 860 4Ghz - 4 GB Gskill Ripjaws 2Ghz - Powercolor 5850 1000/1250 VF3000A - XFI Titanium Fatality - WD3200AAKS RAID 0 - Maxtor 500 Gb - Wd 5000AAKS - Enermax 625W modu82+ - Case CM690 - CM TX3

Xtreme X.I.P.
    nice review
    max bclock and max mem clocks?
    are you going to test max cpu clocks under cold?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    nice review
    max bclock and max mem clocks?
    are you going to test max cpu clocks under cold?
    Thanks mate, yes will be testing this board and the Maximus III, give me a few days and I should have my results of both board's and CPU's with cold tests.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Thanks mate, yes will be testing this board and the Maximus III, give me a few days and I should have my results of both board's and CPU's with cold tests.
    hahah take your time man
    1156 wont really kick off until 32nm chips arrive anyways, so you got time

heheheh
    nah but seriously, take your time and enjoy it, def sounds like a good board...
    thats what i always liked about asus, their consistency... while their boards arent always the best, they tend to be very consistent, once you know how to work with an asus board, you will know how to work with their newest board as well, theres almost no learning curve involved

Xtreme Enthusiast
    New Bios 0711

The major changes are:

1. PCIE OC S3 resume fail issue
    2. OC tune new rule ( include turbo profile item) and change help string as PM request
    3. DRAM voltage keep in 1.65V or pop check box
    4. CPU frequency round off ( show in setup screen)
    5. Correct CPU frequency show error problem ---> in turbo mode
    6. IXTU support
    7. Add Clarkdale C2 stepping ucode
    8. Fix T.Probe problem.
    9. C-State default enable
    10. Fix IXTU overclocking problems with TurboMode.

@sacha55: Is the 0711 bios also available for the normal P7P55D? Been having problems with the 0606 bios, so eagerly awaiting a new version!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by lasty View Post
    @sacha55: Is the 0711 bios also available for the normal P7P55D? Been having problems with the 0606 bios, so eagerly awaiting a new version!
    here you go mate P7P55D

Awesome! Will try it as soon as i get home from work. Been having some problems to get my Corsair Dominator GT 1600C7 ram to work as intended, hope this helps. Bios 0606 completely removed my turbo mode at one point. Loving the Asus mobo for its layout & user friendly bios etc, but still some early adoptor bugs it seems..

Great review, thanks!

This week, I sale my P5E3 Deluxe WIFI + Q8200.

With more about US$ 55, order: Core i5 750 and P7P55D Deluxe, like this one. Rest o my system is the same.

I hope reach 4.0GHz...

Best regards!
    CM 690 II Advanced - - ┐ ┌ x6 1055T @ 3.7GHz - - ┐ ┌ Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 ┐ ┌ Corsair Dominator 4GB 1600MHz C9 ┐
    HIS Radeon HD 5850 1GB ┤ ├ XFX 850 Watts modular ┤ ├ Seagate Barracuda 1TB -┤ ├ Seagate 320GB 2,5" - - Hotswap - ┤
    └ ACER - Aspire AS2920 - ┘ └ Intel -- C2D T5550 -- ┘ └ Kingston -- 4GB 800MHz ┘ └ Intel X3100 256MB 12,1" WSGA - - ┘

Desktop Intel: GMC R3-Corona Watercooled | Asus Ramapage GENE II | Core i7 920 Rev. D0 | G.Skill Trident 6GB 2000MHz | XFX GTS250 1GB + MCW60 Rev. 2 | Corsair HX620W | Seagate 7200.12 1TB | Samsung 2232BW 22"
    Mobile PC1: Acer AS2920 | T5550 | 4GB DDR2 800 | 12,1" WXGA | 250GB | X3100 | WebCam 1.3MP | DVD-RW 16x | MS Notebook Mouse 3000
    Pocket PC Phone/Office: HTC TyTN II | WI-FI | GPS | Bluetooth |3G/GPRS/EDGE/HSDPA/UMTS | MicroSDHC 16GB | QWERTY Keyboard

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by lasty View Post
    Awesome! Will try it as soon as i get home from work. Been having some problems to get my Corsair Dominator GT 1600C7 ram to work as intended, hope this helps. Bios 0606 completely removed my turbo mode at one point. Loving the Asus mobo for its layout & user friendly bios etc, but still some early adoptor bugs it seems..
    Have you had a chance to use the bios yet lasty, would be interested to hear how you got on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by So_BAD View Post
    Great review, thanks!

This week, I sale my P5E3 Deluxe WIFI + Q8200.

With more about US$ 55, order: Core i5 750 and P7P55D Deluxe, like this one. Rest o my system is the same.

I hope reach 4.0GHz...

Best regards!

Nice one So_BAD, you will love this Motherboard with all its features.

I'm using the 4GB Dominator GT CAS7 kit CMG4GX3M2A1600C7 in combination with a i7 860 & the vanilla P7P55D. I did do some testing with the 0711 bios, and so far i'm still unable to get the modules to work at the specified timings.

When i choose the XMP profile it gives me 8-7-7-20-2T timings @ 1600mhz, 1.15v IMC, 1.65v DDR, and when i run memtest86+ (v4.00) i get around 25 errors in 40 minutes of testing. Windows does boot tho, but prime95 gives errors.

If i change the timings to 8-8-8-24, the modules seem to work flawless.. ran memtest/prime for a few hours without any errors. I'm kinda lost if its the modules or the bios which is causing this now..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast