Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clorox aka Harpic Update

Clorox aka Harpic Update

About a month ago, I told you guys that, upon the advice of AussieJester, I decided to experiment with Clorox (aka Harpic for non-Americans) as an additive to a loop. This is specifically Clorox Toilet Bowl Cleaner.

I have been using it on an AMD mid-level S939 dual core system (x2 4400+) that I am giving away to my kid's girlfriend, and it is thus returning to air cooling. For the past month, the system has consisted of all Swiftech equipment: Apogee classic, MCW60, MCRES, MCP655/D5 and MCR220.

I used a 2% solution with 98% distilled water. As you know, Clorox is 10% hydrocholoric acid, and so a 2% solution yields a 0.2% hydrochloric acid solution per liter of distilled water.

I used cheap Swiftech 7/16" vinyl tubing, so as you can expect, the tubing went cloudy within a week. However, when I drained the fluid last night, the fluid came out crystal clear. I rinsed down the radiator with tap water and it came out clear as well. The Apogee block didn't look sexy and shiny to begin with, but came out no worse off after one month.

This is only after one month, so long term results may be different. However, it does show signs of promise for the use of simple household cleaner.

Now, I just learnt that the Koolance crowd has been using diluted household bleach for a long time.

Anyway, kudos to Aussie Jester.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Finally another use for Clorox.

I've used bleach in my swimming pool for years without problems. It's a very cost effective alternative over granulated chlorine.

Thanks for the info Ian.

Charles Barkley

"Poor People have been voting for Democrats for the last 50 years ... and they are still poor."

No more antifreeze for me. No more anti-algae iodine biocide whatever. Just toilet bowl cleaner, and I will try reducing it to 1% solution. Forget that, I think I'll try regular Clorox as well. It costs.. what.. $1.50 a gallon? .. only 5 ml to 10 ml per liter. Its always in my laundry room lol

Xtreme Mentor
    Yep, A-J has been turning his compatriots on to this pragmatic alternative, to expensive additives of varying value, for quite a long time now. It's passed the test of time, with no complaints.

In fact, he uses tap water! Maybe I should try some tap water too..

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hard H20 View Post
    Finally another use for Clorox.

I've used bleach in my swimming pool for years without problems. It's a very cost effective alternative over granulated chlorine.

Thanks for the info Ian.
    as in actually dumping bleach into your pool as opposed to 'standard' pool chemicals?

interesting...
    New work-in-progress - watercooled dual-rad Lian-Li A05:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=156162
    Opteron 175 @ 3.0GHz
    273x11

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by stormshadow View Post
    as in actually dumping bleach into your pool as opposed to 'standard' pool chemicals?

interesting...
    storm,

Yes.

Google around and you can find the amount of Clorox you need for the size (gallons) of your pool. Once you put the bleach in turn your pump on retest the water in 4 hours. You will be Good to Go. Also common household baking soda is PH increaser, .50 a box versus $23.00 a bucket for PH increaser. Cheap pools r us.

Oh and treat the pool late afternoon after all swimming for the day is done. This works exactly like granulated chlorine, keep the kids out of the pool for a minimum of 1 hour after you treat the water.

Charles Barkley

"Poor People have been voting for Democrats for the last 50 years ... and they are still poor."

Unoriginal Macho Energy
    Use a silver WB and you need nothing but water

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
    GTZ --> MCW-NBMAX --> EK FC --> PA 120.3 --> PA 160.1 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
    *:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*

Quote Originally Posted by ranker View Post
    Did you just get hit in the head with a heavy object? Because obviously you're failing at reading comprehension.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I highly recomend not to use Harpic toilet cleaners!!!

I did a test with harpic toilet cleaner too, involving 1mm thick peice of copper sheet. after three weeks of testing, the copper was so weak that I was able to rip it like paper. It felt like ripping about 4 sheets of A4 white plain paper while my other copper peices (been in distilled water, tap water and redline water wetter) weren't the same.

My advice, don't use toilet cleaner, it sure does look nice and is cheap but is very nasty inside your PC, it also likes to clog things.. especially the my storm's jets

sorry I don't have a pic of ripping the copper but here's one to show you what it does to copper

test station

My conclusions were that redline water wetter in distilled water and plain distilled water by itself was the best
    (sorry for starting to go off topic)
    Last edited by perfection; 05-29-2007 at 03:48 PM.
    My Rig

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 L626A175 3GHZ 1.30V real
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500 stock speed and timings
    Motherboard: Asus P5E X38 333MHZ FSB x9 multi
    Video: Gigabyte 8800GTS 320mb stock speeds
    Soundcard Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
    Hard Drives Seagate 250GB 7200.10 SATAII (boot) > Samsung HD501J 500GB SATAII (Storage)
    Case: Lian Li PC-S80
    Powersupply: Corsair HX620W 620watt
    Optical: Samsung SH-S182D DVDRW 18x
    Monitor: Asus MW221U 22" LCD
    Mouse: Logitech CF G7
    Keyboard: Logitech G15
    Speakers: Logitech Z5500

The water cooling

CPU waterblock: Swiftech Apogee (original with custom top and mounting plate)
    GPU waterblock: EK FC8800GTS Acrylic
    Pump: Laing D5 Vario "3" speed setting
    Radiator: Swiftech MCR220 w/ 120mm Yate Loons D12SM-12 running at 7V
    Resevoir - Swiftech MCRES Micro - Pentison G11

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by perfection View Post
    I highly recomend not to use Harpic toilet cleaners!!!

I did a test with harpic toilet cleaner too, involving 1mm thick peice of copper sheet. after three weeks of testing, the copper was so weak that I was able to rip it like paper. It felt like ripping about 4 sheets of A4 white plain paper while my other copper peices (been in distilled water, tap water and redline water wetter) weren't the same.

My advice, don't use toilet cleaner, it sure does look nice and is cheap but is very nasty inside your PC, it also likes to clog things.. especially the my storm's jets

Looks like a grade school science experiment! I love it!

Thanks for the results. I was bout to try it myself on a recreational machine.
    MM Extended U2-UFO CYO (Duality front, Standard back, Horizontal Mobo brace) Anodized Black || eVGA X58 || Intel i7 920 || 6 GB Corsair Dominator PC3-12800|| eVGA 295GTX || Asus Xonar Essence STX || VisionTek 650 TV Tuner || 1 300GB WD Velociraptor || 1TB WD's Black Ed. || LG 22X DVD-Writer || Lite-On 20x DVD-Writer || Corsair CMPSU-1000HX PSU

CPU Loop: DDC-2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top -> Swiftech GTZ -> Thermochill PA120.3 (Push: 3 Scythe S-Flex G)

GPU Loop: DDC-2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top -> (Koolance VID-NX295 FC block) ->Thermochill PA120.3 (Push: 3 Scythe S-Flex G)

Chipset Loop: DDC-2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top -> Alphacool Silentstar Dual HD waterblock enclosure -> Bitspower Black Freezer eVGA x58 MOSFET-> Bitspower Black Freezer eVGA x58 NB -> Thermochill PA120.2 (Pull: 2 Scythe S-Flex G)

2 x Dell 2408FPW LCD || Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 || Logitech G9 Mouse || Logitech G15 LCD Keyboard || Logitech Quickcam Ultravision || Sennheiser Headphones

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I dunno about copper bases as they are alot thicker but I would assume under long term use, the copper would become fairly weak/brittle and may crack under high pressures.

and ranker, me as a 15yr old kit don't have access to labotories to do scientific experiments
    My Rig

Hard Drives Seagate 250GB 7200.10 SATAII (boot) > Samsung HD501J 500GB SATAII (Storage)

The water cooling

I am Xtreme-ly Unemployed
    ...and, to think, I was concerned about PT_Nuke messing with the pH of distilled

Standard Clorox Bleach has a pH of 11.4, IIRC, and distilled water is a terrible pH buffer...
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive...

c[_]
    Perfection: Your solution compositions were....?

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    its in the pics!

Redline water wetter + distilled water
    Distilled water
    tap water
    toilet cleaner + distilled water
    My Rig

The water cooling

Xtreme Cruncher
    How concentrated is what I think he meant.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    ...and, to think, I was concerned about PT_Nuke messing with the pH of distilled

Standard Clorox Bleach has a pH of 11.4, IIRC, and distilled water is a terrible pH buffer...
    So is it bad that I added like 12 drops of PT nuke to my loop? rofl
    Core i3-550 Clarkdale @ 4.2GHz, 1.36v (Corsair A50 HS/F) LinX Stable
    MSI H55-GD65 Motherboard
    G.Skill 4GBRL DDR3-1600 @ 1755, CL9, 1.55v
    Sapphire Radeon 5750 1GB
    Samsung F4 320GB - WD Green 1TB
    Xigmatek Utgard Case - Corsair VX550

Ya.. what's the concentration of that Harpic in relation to water ?

As per Aussie Jester, I used less than a 2% concentration and there wasn't the faintest hue of blue.

It looks as though you used 50% toilet bowl cleaner and 50% water About the same as soaking a radiator in vinegar and salt for days
    Last edited by IanY; 05-29-2007 at 07:36 PM.

You just stick to whatever you like to use and we'll agree to disagree

Gosh, I like behaving like a 15 year old .. keeps me young

ranker,

if you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you, buddy.
    Last edited by IanY; 05-29-2007 at 07:27 PM.

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Quote Originally Posted by IanY View Post
    As you know, Clorox is 10% hydrocholoric acid, and so a 2% solution yields a 0.2% hydrochloric acid solution per liter of distilled water.
    Ian, Clorox Bleach is actually Sodium Hypochlorite, while Hydrochloric Acid is Hydrogen Chloride.

Clorox MSDS can be found here: http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/prod...ner-manual.pdf

and a Hydrochloric Acid MSDS here: http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/h3886.htm

I'm sure Hydrochloric Acid is just as hostile to fungi as bleach, however, it is also much more corrosive than bleach. While a 2% solution is probably nothing to worry about in an all copper loop, I would much rather have the bleach than acid.

On a side note, I remember taking taking a penny in my high school chemistry class, filing off the copper plating to reveal the zink core and dropping it in a beaker of Hydrochloric Acid. In about 1 minute all that was left was the copper plating and a lot of hydrogen gas.

xtremespeakfreely.com

Semper Fi

Xtreme Cruncher
    WHOA!! Where did you come from! Haven't seen you in a while, rogueagent.

Good to see you around again.
    A wolf in wolves clothing.

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] DragonOrta View Post
    WHOA!! Where did you come from! Haven't seen you in a while, rogueagent.

Good to see you around again.
    Heya Dragon! Been lurking for awhile and fighting the DC bug... Maybe it will bite me again soon

xtremespeakfreely.com

Semper Fi

Banned
    chlorox suppose to use less than cap full for a gallon here.
    or less. more tends to make short work of stuff they're applied to...

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueagent6 View Post
    Heya Dragon! Been lurking for awhile and fighting the DC bug... Maybe it will bite me again soon
    I gave up that fight a long time ago.
    A wolf in wolves clothing.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by IanY View Post
    You just stick to whatever you like to use and we'll agree to disagree

Gosh, I like behaving like a 15 year old .. keeps me young

ranker,

if you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you, buddy.
    Name your price, it better be in a good location! =)
    MM Extended U2-UFO CYO (Duality front, Standard back, Horizontal Mobo brace) Anodized Black || eVGA X58 || Intel i7 920 || 6 GB Corsair Dominator PC3-12800|| eVGA 295GTX || Asus Xonar Essence STX || VisionTek 650 TV Tuner || 1 300GB WD Velociraptor || 1TB WD's Black Ed. || LG 22X DVD-Writer || Lite-On 20x DVD-Writer || Corsair CMPSU-1000HX PSU

CPU Loop: DDC-2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top -> Swiftech GTZ -> Thermochill PA120.3 (Push: 3 Scythe S-Flex G)

GPU Loop: DDC-2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top -> (Koolance VID-NX295 FC block) ->Thermochill PA120.3 (Push: 3 Scythe S-Flex G)

Chipset Loop: DDC-2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top -> Alphacool Silentstar Dual HD waterblock enclosure -> Bitspower Black Freezer eVGA x58 MOSFET-> Bitspower Black Freezer eVGA x58 NB -> Thermochill PA120.2 (Pull: 2 Scythe S-Flex G)

2 x Dell 2408FPW LCD || Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 || Logitech G9 Mouse || Logitech G15 LCD Keyboard || Logitech Quickcam Ultravision || Sennheiser Headphones

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by ranker View Post
    Name your price, it better be in a good location! =)

The bridge is in Aquacomputer land.

Sorry buddy, I had too.

Charles Barkley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast