Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seagate Lowers Warranty Period from 5 to 3 Years on Some Desktop Hard Drives

Xtreme Mentor

Seagate Lowers Warranty Period from 5 to 3 Years on Some Desktop Hard Drives

Seagate, the biggest hard drive manufacturer, has announced today that effective January 3, 2009, the company will be making some important changes to its limited warranty terms for selected drives. The warranty period for consumer electronics (Seagate Barracuda 7200 included), notebook (Momentus 7200 and Momentus 5400 included) and personal storage bare drives sold to Seagate Authorized Distributors will be changed from 5 years to 3 years. Seagate believes that the new warranty period and terms better reflect current industry standards. Seagate enterprise class drives and Seagate and Maxtor external retail products that have 5-year warranty periods will not be affected by this change. Please take a look at the Seagate Warranty Matrix for more information.
    Source: TechPowerup

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well, I still buy WD HDs.
    --Intel i5 3570k 4.4ghz (stock volts) - Corsair H100 - 6970 UL XFX 2GB - - Asrock Z77 Professional - 16GB Gskill 1866mhz - 2x90GB Agility 3 - WD640GB - 2xWD320GB - 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 - Audigy-- --NZXT Phantom - Samsung SATA DVD--(old systems Intel E8400 Wolfdale/Asus P45, AMD965BEC3 790X, Antec 180, Sapphire 4870 X2 (dead twice))

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Wow. That's a real shame, their warranty was a big factor in their popularity.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

I am Xtreme
    I'm not buying seagate anymore!

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Seagate's standards are still higher than most companies. All my servers run Seagate Drives exclusively.

I am Xtreme
    "i'm never buying segate again". "what a bunch of ****" ..... blah blah blah,,,
    you guys are HILARIOUS!!! grow up.
    let's ask eash other, how long do we really own our hard drives?
    i guarentee most of you dont own them past a year, maybe two... because you have outlived their capacity and bigger better drives have come out by then.

i think 3 years is PLENTY for a hard drive.

hell i have one that is going on 8 years old, but its an IBM 120gb ide drive that i put in a USB enclosure. and i rarely use it.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Member
    Is this going to be retroactive or only for new drives sold on or after the date?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Wow, I've got buddies that are so high on Seagate because of this warranty. They'll be crushed.

And Lestat, I keep my drives a lot longer than 3 years. I keep putting off recreating the RAID with my 120GBs, but I've got a 180 in use on a desktop. And let's not talk about what kind of stuff I've got on dedicated crunchers... They're usually in the 6-20GB range. Heck, I've got an 850 and a 1.2GB that I want to be able to use for a cruncher but couldn't fit a regular ubuntu install onto... Of course, except for used drives, I've only killed one drive (a Maxtor 6GB) and had a couple of Deathstars fail, but I don't claim those !

To answer further questions, this will not be retroactive, and drives shipped before 03Jan will still carry the 5 year warranty.

Also note that this only affects bare drives, if you go to the seagate warranty matrix, it's spelled out there.
    http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/sup...rranty_matrix/
    Last edited by don_xvi; 12-12-2008 at 04:30 AM.

don_xvi helps find cures for cancer, AIDS and West Nile, among other research !
    Donald A. Perlick helps find cures for Alzheimer's, cancer, and Parkinson's, among other research !

Xtreme Mentor
    What's the matter Segate? Your hard drives not living up to your original expectations? hahaha. I'm a WD guy, 5 year warranty ftw. If segate thinks lowering their warranty will improve their income, be my guest. I think it will bite them in the ass, but what do I know.. I'm no consultant or business adviser..
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanometer View Post
    What's the matter Segate? Your hard drives not living up to your original expectations? hahaha. I'm a WD guy, 5 year warranty ftw. If segate thinks lowering their warranty will improve their income, be my guest. I think it will bite them in the ass, but what do I know.. I'm no consultant or business adviser..
    Only Raptor and RE Western Digital drives have 5yr warranties.
    Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @3.3GHz || DFI x48 T3RS DDR3 || Custom Silverstone Black Temjin TJ-07
    Coolermaster Gemini2 (2 120x120x38 Sunon's) Idle-32 Load-46 || 4Gig Patriot Viper DDR3 1333
    Crossfired 4850's || Gigabyte Odin 800W PSU || 500gig SATA || Logitech G9 || Samsung 2232GW

Initiate Heat Blasters!

"If I'm lacking in boats, it's cause I'm fearful of the Kraken" -MC Frontalot

Xtreme Addict
    don't see an issue here most of the ones listed are desktop and laptop drives not the enterprise drive line. Which makes sense home users are more likely to buy based on just the $$ value and don't use their drives hard at all this lets them fit that market, whereas enterprise users are more concerned with much longer run times and more demanding applications.

If you want 5 year buy the enterprise line (though I'd argue to buy it anyway due to duty cycles, bit error rates, et al).

|.Server/Storage System.............|.Gaming/Work System..............................|.Sundry...... ............|
    |.Supermico X8DTH-6f................|.Asus Z9PE-D8 WS.................................|.HP LP3065 30"LCD Monitor.|
    |.(2) Xeon X5690....................|.2xE5-2643 v2....................................|.Mino lta magicolor 7450..|
    |.(192GB) Samsung PC10600 ECC.......|.2xEVGA nVidia GTX670 4GB........................|.Nikon coolscan 9000......|
    |.800W Redundant PSU................|.(8x8GB) Kingston DDR3-1600 ECC..................|.Quantum LTO-4HH..........|
    |.NEC Slimline DVD RW DL............|.Corsair AX1200..................................|........ .................|
    |.(..6) LSI 9200-8e HBAs............|.Lite-On iHBS112.................................|.Dell D820 Laptop.........|
    |.(..8) ST9300653SS (300GB) (RAID0).|.PA120.3, Apogee, MCW N&S bridge.................|...2.33Ghz; 8GB Ram;......|
    |.(112) ST2000DL003 (2TB) (RAIDZ2)..|.(1) Areca ARC1880ix-8 512MiB Cache..............|...DVDRW; 128GB SSD.......|
    |.(..2) ST9146803SS (146GB) (RAID-1)|.(8) Intel SSD 520 240GB (RAID6).................|...Ubuntu 12.04 64bit.....|
    |.Ubuntu 12.04 64bit Server.........|.Windows 7 x64 Pro...............................|............... ..........|

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Morbid View Post
    Only Raptor and RE Western Digital drives have 5yr warranties.
    Wrong. WD black series have 5 year warranty.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=551

Xtreme Addict
    Typical for a company to do this. Lower the warranty to 3 years and charge the same amount of money for the 5 year warranty. If Seagate is lucky, they'd make an extra $1 a drive, but will loose customers in the process. How's that for forward thinking?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
    i guarentee most of you dont own them past a year, maybe two... because you have outlived their capacity and bigger better drives have come out by then.

hell i have one that is going on 8 years old, but its an IBM 120gb ide drive that i put in a USB enclosure. and i rarely use it.
    Hah, you can't really call today's HDs small. My most recent drive is 1 year old. Grow up, everybody can't afford new hardware every year.

5 year warranty means a lot to me at least, and one of the reasons I bought the specific HDs

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Just because Seagate lowers the warranty period from 5 to 3 years

Does not mean that their drives are going to spontaneously explode at the 3 year mark.

Seriously guys, come on.

Last edited by xsbb; 12-12-2008 at 06:44 AM.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    I've bought Seagate exclusively in the past because of their 5 year warranty. Guess this will be a good enough chance to try out other drives now that warranty won't be a reason to hold to Seagate.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Lestat View Post

Well, I would think the main concern for enthusiast users would be when you pass that HDD down to older hardware or as an external backup drive and it fails on you. It's one less PC in use because of 1 hard drive, and If you're young (without rich parents) or in college where you're counting your pennies, this is significant.

Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    Typical for a company to do this. Lower the warranty to 3 years and charge the same amount of money for the 5 year warranty. If Seagate is lucky, they'd make an extra $1 a drive, but will loose customers in the process. How's that for forward thinking?
    Right, but how would they be saving money anyway? I really don't see how lowering the warranty from 5 to 3 years helps, UNLESS they have several drives that fail between 3 to 5 years. It hurts their brand regardless if its true or not that many of their drives fail in that span of time.
    Last edited by Turok; 12-12-2008 at 07:03 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    yeah i'm really dissapointed in them for doing this. This pretty much affects all of the consumer/gamer hard drives. all of the 7200 series?? that was way to broad and most of us that own a Seagate either have a 7200.10 or 7200.11. It's like there saying they dont have as much faith in there products anymore. But on the other hand, Western Digital offers the same warranty on most of there Hard Drives. like the above person said, "Except there Black and Raptor Series"
    Last edited by jasonelmore; 12-12-2008 at 08:02 AM.
    Main Rig
    • Intel Core i7 4790K CPU Stock @ 4.4Ghz
    • Asus Maximus VI Extreme Motherboard
    • 32GB GSKILL Trident X 2400MHZ RAM
    • EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB GDDR5
    • Corsair TX850W v2 TX Power Supply 70A 12V Rail
    • Swiftech Apex Ultima w/ Apogee Drive II & Dual 120 RAD w/integrated res
    • 2X Seagate 333AS 1TB 7,200 32MB HD's in RAID 0
    • 2X Samsung 830's 128GB in RAID 0
    • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    • Coolermaster HAF-XB
    • Dual Asus ProArt PA248Q 24" IPS LED Monitors
    • Samsung 46" 5600 Series Smart HDTV
    • iPhone 6 Plus 64GB AT&T & Xbox One

UNOFFICIAL Rampage II Extreme Thread

Xtreme Enthusiast
    And there goes the LAST reason I had to buy Seagate over Samsung. . .

Xtreme Cruncher
    Currently running 4 7200.10's in raid 5 for over a year. The only desktop hdd that died on me was a WD, that being said I would still definetly look at WD now. The main reason I went with Seagate over WD and Samsung was their warranty as performance was close to the same between the 3 models I chose from.

Q. What about products purchased before Jan. 3, 2009? Will Seagate still honor the warranty offered at time of time of original purchase?

A. Yes, any Seagate customers who purchase(d) products prior to Jan. 3 will be covered by the warranty in place at the time of purchase.
    http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/sup...rranty_matrix/

I'd been buying Seagate drives because of this. This change doesn't mean they don't have a good product, but I prefer someone willing to back up their products with support. Perhaps Samsung for me now for single drives or mirrors and I'll continue doing RE2s or RE3s for my arrays.

No, the change won't reflect retroactively. They can't do that without a lot of legal fuss.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xsbb View Post
    Just because Seagate lowers the warranty period from 5 to 3 years

Does not mean that their drives are going to spontaneously explode at the 3 year mark.

Seriously guys, come on.

QFT

Be realistic. I have never lost either a Seagate or a Western Digital in the last 10 years. Right now I have 3 Seagates and 2 WDs in use. I have had a couple of Maxtors and IBMs blow up on me. 3 or 5 years, honestly HDs are so cheap now it really doesnt matter. I lose a HD, I pull it out, throw it away and run a image on from my server. 10 minutes to install Windows is a beautiful thing. People need to learn to keep backups of important stuff, whether its on another PC/server or external HD or on removable media.
    Hardware will fail.

Xtreme Addict
    5 years is a pretty long time to support a drive that becomes outdated in about 3 years time.

I mean how many people after say 4 years would want to really replace/reinstall a 4 year old drive technology and size. When you go to your favorite online etailer I would guess most are looking for the latest revision drives and not buying the 7200.9's when there is say a 7200.11 available.

I can see the need for raid setups where you really need/want another drive of the same design for replacement but for desktops where one drive is used I don't see this as a big deal personally.
    Work Rig: Asus x58 P6T Deluxe, i7 950 24x166 1.275v, BIX2/GTZ/D5
    3x2048 GSkill pi Black DDR3 1600, Quadro 600
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 810

Game Rig: Asus x58 P6T, i7 970 24x160 1.2v HT on, TRUE120
    3x4096 GSkill DDR3 1600, PNY 660ti
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 830

AMD Rig: Biostar TA790GX A2+, x4 940 16x200, stock hsf
    2x2gb Patriot DDR2 800, PowerColor 4850
    Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by Nanometer View Post
    I'm a WD guy, 5 year warranty ftw.
    I suppose but in my experience that 5 year warranty is needed, seems WD drives hate me
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    I'll ask again. Does anyone know if this is retroactive or not?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast