Page 26 of 91 FirstFirst ... 16232425262728293676 ... LastLast

Thread: The ATI Radeon 5XXX Thread

I am Xtreme
    Steam's HW survey showed something interesting, 14.4% actually use more than 1 monitor. Not a lot but interesting none the less. Anyway I wonder who out there has a spare monitor but never thought of using it...yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredpace View Post

edit: unless its the 295 sonic ultra with eleven 8-pin PEG:

Xtreme Addict
    Known lengths are 28.5cm. for 4850x2 and 26.67cm.(10.5in.) for 4870x2 & 8800gtx. I tried to guess at 5870 and 5870x2 length.

Bring... bring the amber lamps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    LOL, are these X4's and X8's real?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    OFF TOPIC

I checked the constitution's and they dont say anything about freedom of speetch

ON TOPIC

How much does the 4890 eat up while loaded only card??

Also seems that 5870 x2 will be quite well priced then Happy i am waiting for a month or so more.
    you are right, in the case of the USA, it is the 1st amendment ...
    DrWho, The last of the time lords, setting up the Clock.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredpace View Post
    Known lengths are 28.5cm. for 4850x2 and 26.67cm.(10.5in.) for 4870x2 & 8800gtx. I tried to guess at 5870 and 5870x2 length.

Whoa! Good idea comparing it like that!

Just wondering how long the 5850 will be.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoasthandle View Post
    Steam's HW survey showed something interesting, 14.4% actually use more than 1 monitor. Not a lot but interesting none the less. Anyway I wonder who out there has a spare monitor but never thought of using it...yet.
    That's incorrect. You're misreading the stats. They don't say how many use multi-mon relative to single monitor, they simply show the biggest bucket for each. The 14.4% applies to the most common multi-mon resolution of 2960x1050... meaning that of all the 100% of multi-monitor configs out there, the biggest single drop in the bucket is 14.4% who have the specific resolution of 2960x1050.

As far as I can tell, there's no way to tell how many people have multi-monitor relative to single monitor.. the stats exist completely independent of one another.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Sr7 View Post
    That's incorrect. You're misreading the stats. They don't say how many use multi-mon relative to single monitor, they simply show the biggest bucket for each. The 14.4% applies to the most common multi-mon resolution of 2960x1050... meaning that of all the 100% of multi-monitor configs out there, the biggest single drop in the bucket is 14.4% who have the specific resolution of 2960x1050.

As far as I can tell, there's no way to tell how many people have multi-monitor relative to single monitor.. the stats exist completely independent of one another.
    Actually your interpretation of my post is incorrect. As my post is regarding a survey regarding more then 1 monitor not stats about a particular monitor. Had you actually read my post instead of trolling my post it would have been clear that is how it is read when it's pulled up. Once you open it there is additional information. Any questions?
    Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 09-12-2009 at 07:46 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned
    Actually your interpretation of my post is incorrect. As my post is regarding a survey regarding more then 1 monitor not stats about a particular monitor. Had you actually read my post instead of trolling my post it would have been clear that is how it is read when it's pulled up. Once you open it there is additional information. Any questions?
    Wow lets get all whiney and start making accusations! Everything that disagrees with you must be trolling!

Feel free to point out the information you're referring to if I somehow missed it.. there's only one place I could see you getting 14.4% and that's for the multi-mon res of 2960x1050. 14.4% of all multi-monitor setups are running that resolution.. that's what that means.
    Last edited by Sr7; 09-12-2009 at 07:52 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Sr7 View Post
    Wow lets get all whiney and start making accusations!

Feel free to point out the information you're referring to if I somehow missed it..
    Sure, what you missed was that I did not make mention of any particular monitor. Furthermore, I provided the link so that anyone can look at the particulars. Any other questions?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Sure, what you missed was that I did not make mention of any particular monitor. Furthermore, I provided the link so that anyone can look at the particulars. Any other questions?
    That being said, you are WRONG. You misinterpreted the data and told that %14.4 of all people use more than one monitor. Which is not what that survey is showing at all.
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    INTEL Core i7 920 // ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 // OCZ 3G1600 6GB // POWERCOLOR HD5970 // Cooler Master HAF 932 // Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme // SAMSUNG T260 26"

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by annihilat0r View Post
    That being said, you are WRONG. You misinterpreted the data and told that %14.4 of all people use more than one monitor. Which is not what that survey is showing at all.
    Actually no it's not wrong as I said that it was more then 1 monitor. Leaving the link for you to see for yourself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned
    Actually no it's not wrong as I said that it was more then 1 monitor. Leaving the link for you to see for yourself.
    Take an intro statistics class and get back to me. If you cant even admit when you're clearly wrong and everyone knows it, then I'm wasting my time.

Xtreme Addict
    You are still not getting what is being said at the moment, I think.

That statistic means that, out of every 1000 people who DO use a multi-monitor setup, 144 people use 2960x1050, regardless of how many monitors they have.

You've said that, that statistic means that out of every 1000 people, 144 people use multi-monitors. Your 1000 people and the survey's 1000 people are different. The survey's 1000 already have multi monitors.

I think I have exhausted the angles from which this situation could be told.
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    INTEL Core i7 920 // ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 // OCZ 3G1600 6GB // POWERCOLOR HD5970 // Cooler Master HAF 932 // Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme // SAMSUNG T260 26"

I am Xtreme
    Anyway, I found this video showing off Dirt 2 which appears to show wide viewing angle when 3 monitors are used. Pay attention to 1:15 when the car on the left passes. This doesn't look like scaling to me.
    video
    (didn't see this one posted).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by annihilat0r View Post
    i agree with you guys. If you add 14.4% to the remaining monitor resolutions, you get above 100% which should be impossible.

Xtreme Addict
    sry guys, debating how many people has multimonitor is silly.
    when the technology isnt commonly avaible and when it is,
    there be more people using and buying those screens.
    its like mobile phones, once, big, bulky and expensive, one day smaller and cheaper, so mostly everyone got them due to, avalibility.

once, 4870 and 4850 was released, dang and more bought those.

Eyeinfinty will be much more used no matter the statistics you guys present.
    the tech is here.
    and it comes with a fast videocard...
    4670k 4.6ghz 1.22v watercooled CPU/GPU - Asus Z87-A - 290 1155mhz/1250mhz - Kingston Hyper Blu 8gb -crucial 128gb ssd - EyeFunity 5040x1050 120hz - CM atcs840 - Corsair 750w -sennheiser hd600 headphones - Asus essence stx - G400 and steelseries 6v2 -windows 8 Pro 64bit Best OS used - - 9500p 3dmark11 (one of the 26% that isnt confused on xtreme forums)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flopper View Post
    its like mobile phones, once, big, bulky and expensive, one day smaller and cheaper, so mostly everyone got them due to, avalibility.

once, 4870 and 4850 was released, dang and more bought those.

the tech is here.
    This. I don't know why people think multi-monitor tech wont take off, or wont become popular eventually. Does no one know how technology works in terms of public use? Think of cell phones and internet gaming back in the late 90's, widescreen monitors being a luxery to have, or an extremely fast video card being very expensive.

Times change. As technology advances and things get cheaper/easier to use, it will increase in popularity and will eventually become the new standard. This is how it always works with new/existing tech that needs a boost.

I don't know why those that 'hate' eye-infinity don't see the big picture. Sure, it may not be a feature that interests you, but it helps technology advance which is always a good thing especially for us 'enthusiasts'.

Quote Originally Posted by flopper View Post

the tech is here.
    I'm already searching Dell's site, looking at monitors that might work with my current setup (27" Dell). I don't want to spend, nor do I have the space, for couple more 27" Lcd. But if I can get a couple of 22-23" Lcd's that would work with my setup, I'm game.

Surround gaming would become more mainstream (not saying it'll be mainstream, just that it'll become more so) if it's easy to setup and works with videocards that you normally get anyway. It'll also be something to differentiate PC gaming from console gaming.

Xtreme Member
    22" LCD's go for $140 regularly, I picked up a 1080p Asus for $139 a few months back.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredpace
    Cypress ("RV870") is dualcore
    I spotted this on Wiki - dunno where this pic came from and if it's valid, but FWIW;

edit:
    Looks like fake, tbh.
    Last edited by largon; 09-12-2009 at 11:29 PM.
    You were not supposed to see this.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Vit^pr0n View Post
    This. I don't know why people think multi-monitor tech wont take off, or wont become popular eventually. Does no one know how technology works in terms of public use? Think of cell phones and internet gaming back in the late 90's, widescreen monitors being a luxery to have, or an extremely fast video card being very expensive.

Times change. As technology advances and things get cheaper/easier to use, it will increase in popularity and will eventually become the new standard. This is how it always works with new/existing tech that needs a boost.

I don't know why those that 'hate' eye-infinity don't see the big picture. Sure, it may not be a feature that interests you, but it helps technology advance which is always a good thing especially for us 'enthusiasts'.
    There is no hate for this technology. Just skepticism on whether it will catch on. No one want this technology to fail or anything, some people, including myself, don't see the benefits it outweighing the costs associated with the technology. The biggest application of this technology or how AMD is trying to present it is gaming since business environments where cost is hardly an issue already have cards or systems which can display 3 screens or more.

Multiple display gaming is something more of a novelty because we have been introduced to something similar in the past and it just hasn't caught on because the consumer hardly see's it as essential part of the gaming experience.

Something like this technology I akin to Nvidia 3-d display technology. Sure its nifty and all but do we really need it to enjoy our games. No not particularly. Does it add realism or immersion to the experience, probably. Because of these added realism features, will this feature catch on. As we have seen, probably not if the cost is too high.

Honestly atleast to me, 3d technology atleast when done properly adds for more to a gaming experience than a couple extra screens because your just adding size and adding stuff to your peripheral that you really can't see. Compare this to 3d technology which adds depth of field to your primary field of vision.

Just go to a movie, which uses real 3d technology in the movie, something like this adds way more to the movie than just a larger widers screen in my opinion.

Has 3d gaming taken off those? Not really at all. People might blame the technology, but it is really good in some games, probably just like this eyefinity technology is. Eyefinity will be best used with older games.

To me, the size thing was already conquered long ago when video was allowed to be outputed to a larger screen monitor like an lcd tv. Sure we might not have as good as image quality but atleast you wouldn't have bezels.

For this technology to take off it will take an ideal set of factors to come into play.

Big cheap, bezeless monitors become available. Bezels will distract the general public from adopting it because it is too immediately noticeable.

A revolution game thats uses this technology to its fullest becomes available(e.g wii and its controllers). PhysX still needs such a game to become popular even those it is a free feature associated with the card.

The price of admission with 3 monitors and videocards needs to falls to under $500 eventually. Currently the price of a 5870 2gb is 450(you will need the most powerful and most memory possible for these monster resolutions) and 3 22 " monitors cost about 200 a piece = $1050, way too high a price to become really successful. Ghettoing it up with 19" will still make you into the 900 dollar range if you don't want crap crap monitors. As we have seen with game consoles, too high a price admission will stop customers dead in their tracks. Even if the hype and games are there, a crazy price will prevent something from taking off. And no way does eyefinity have the amount of hype that resembles anything like new game console. I am almost certain NV 3d gaming would have teken off if it didn't use special monitors and the glasses were 50 dollars.

The screen is a bottle neck for this technology too in regards to price. LCD prices are starting to stabilize and not sink anymore. It going to take a very very cheap videocard for this technology to catch on. If you look at most modern gaming builds recently, they typically go for about 1000 dollars including the screen.

These systems consist of a quad AMD or intel = 200
    case+ decent power supply 100
    Videocard 4870 - 4890 or gtx 260 or 275 = 140-180
    motherboard = 120
    Ram 4gb = 60
    HD 1tb= 80
    OS = 110
    monitor = 200
    = 1050

This is a somewhat high end build(and it is beyond this market, that eyefinity will have to go after). This is what the public is used to at this point, anything else your starting to go into enthusiast. The bang for you buck nowadays is pretty high and people expect to get alot for their money after the phenom II and core i5. Turning this into an eyefinity build turns this into a 1720 dollar build if we want 2 more monitors and a 5870 2gb. Thats substantially more obviously which is why I don't think this will catch on. Don't kid yourself, no one in the high end-enthusiast markets with a 5870 will want to use 19" monitors as they are too small for everyday use.
    Last edited by tajoh111; 09-13-2009 at 12:04 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Having support for high resolutions is not the same thing as having PhysX support. Any game can benefit from more resolution.

However, I agree with your point on price of admission ... for a full setup.
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    There is no hate for this technology. Just skepticism on whether it will catch on.

People here are extreme, they be using loads of screens.
    And since it comes with the card your buying, more will be using and going for 3 screens, if that is enough to create a mainstream effect, well have to wait and see.
    4670k 4.6ghz 1.22v watercooled CPU/GPU - Asus Z87-A - 290 1155mhz/1250mhz - Kingston Hyper Blu 8gb -crucial 128gb ssd - EyeFunity 5040x1050 120hz - CM atcs840 - Corsair 750w -sennheiser hd600 headphones - Asus essence stx - G400 and steelseries 6v2 -windows 8 Pro 64bit Best OS used - - 9500p 3dmark11 (one of the 26% that isnt confused on xtreme forums)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    agree on monitor Bezels and price. but i dont see bezel less monitors coming anytime soon
    Last edited by geo; 09-12-2009 at 11:55 PM.

Page 26 of 91 FirstFirst ... 16232425262728293676 ... LastLast