Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cat Rescue Guy

Xtreme Cruncher

Question Cat Rescue Guy

Oooookay. I had about one hour of sleep last night, and drove the boy down to meet the bus for school and the bus driver lady asked me to go rescue a kitten from the side of the road.

Well by the time I got there that kitten looked like roadkill. For whatever reason it had wandered into the middle of a highway amd was frozen on the dotted whiteline as cars whipped by within inches.

I figured he had been hit and was paralyzed or whatever but I scooped him up and he was fine. Cold, wet (it's raining and 61F here) and trembling but apparently unscathed.

Brought him up the mountain to the house to warm up and he crawled into the Wifes PC desk thing to hide.

Wife does not like cats. A cat is not on our list of pets. And I know how cats are: they like to kill stuff. Our last cat averaged two birds a day and god knows what else.

Sooooo now I gotta make the big decision to either bring the kitten to a shelter (Wife's STRONG suggestion) or adopt "RoadKill" and take him/her to the vet and start that whole routine.

What would you guys do?

Of course the kids would love a pet...but I was thinking Guinea pigs...not stray kitten...
    20 Logs on the fire for WCG: i7 920@2.8 X3220@3.0 X3220@2.4 E8400@4.05 E6600@2.4

Here's how I see your options:

Shelter: May as well have left it out on the highway. They'll kill it in a few days when nobody adopts it. You're better off finding a home for it yourself if you are keen on not keeping it.

Adopt: If your only cat problem is that they kill stuff (no allergies), you should give it a shot. Cats' personalities are quite varied and this one may not be a big hunter if fed on cat food. You could also keep it as an indoor cat and not have to worry about that at all. They live longer, are healthier, don't get as many diseases, etc.
    Last edited by Particle; 08-31-2009 at 05:47 AM.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

_
    I would go with adopting the cat (but i'm a a cat person). Or seeing if there are any friends/neighbors that want the cat.

HARD CRUNCHER!!
    Ahhh keep it CD. You can never have enough :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike047 View Post
    CRUNCH HARD, it may not help me and you, but it might help the Kids.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Shelter: May as well have left it out on the highway. They'll kill it in a few days when nobody adopts it. You're better off finding a home for it yourself if you are keen on not keeping it.
    You could find a Shelter, as most private Shelter's do NOT kill animals, only Government funded ones.

I always get my animals from the pound, it's the only way to do it, IMHO
    Core i7 940:Asus Rampage II:HIS ATI 5870:6GB (3 x 2GB):2 x 1.5TB:2 x 750GB: assorted 200-500GB drives:CoolerMaster HAF932:Thermalright IFX-14

MacBookPro:2.33 Ghz Core2Duo:2GB DDR2:250GB 7200RPM

Mac Mini 1.5 core solo with a 2.33Ghz Merom, 2GB's of Muskin ram and a 250GB WD HDD

Home Theater:
    Marantz SR7002:KEF iQ9's, iQ5, and iQ8's:No Sub

2-Channel:
    KEF XQ-20 Khaya Mahogany:McIntosh Labs MA-6100:Monster M Series Bi-wire 2-4

WCG Cruncher
    keep it as an "outside" cat only. mwaahahaha, after you feed and water it for awhile it will regain its strength and mental agility, and it will then use its cat powers to control your thoughts and emotions, and convince you, or those in power in your household, to let it in, just for a little bit, and put the food inside too, whilst it naps (lurks - it's not really sleeping) unseen somewhere. Before you know it the cat will be 10 pounds heavier and sleeping on the couch, while you are on your hands and knees scooping it's excrement out of the "litter box" (also inside the house). Just don't try to pet it while it sleeps...

Distributed Computing: Making the world a better place, one work-unit at a time.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp

Xtreme Cruncher
    If your wife doesn't like cats then I wonder why you are even asking ???
    You could take it to the vet anyway as a private shelter would appreciate shots and nuetering. The vet might also know of shelters that do not euthanise.

Xtreme Cruncher
    My wife isn't a cat lover either. But you get that!

I'd suggest you keep it if you can. Like others have said depending on the personality they tend to grow on people. My old man hated cats and I got one when I was 13 he lasted 12 years and they were gutted when he went.

Just get some bells on their collar. Just make sure you get more than one as my cat had that sussed could still sneak up on birds without making a sound! He used to chase the ducks on the ice in holland shoulda seen the looks the locals gave him he was just a crazy aussie cat. Took him a while to realise that you cant turn on a dime on the ice!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Are you sure the cat doesn't belong to anyone? Maybe some little kid is missing that cat ...

How much of a hunter he is will depend on a lot of things. A friend's cat only wants the food from the tin. Hunting is below him He even totally ignores the chickens in the back, not worth his time.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Mr. Boardburner
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
    How much of a hunter he is will depend on a lot of things. A friend's cat only wants the food from the tin. Hunting is below him He even totally ignores the chickens in the back, not worth his time.
    And I know quite a few more that are like that . I'd say you keep it, see what it's like. If it turns out to be a nutter, you can always find it a new home.
    Main rig:
    CPU: I7 920C0 @ 3.6Ghz (180*20)
    Mobo: DFI UT X58 T3eH8
    RAM: 12GB OCZ DDR3-1600 Platinum
    GPU/LCD: GeForce GTX280 + GeForce 8600GTS (Quad LCDs)
    Intel X25-M G2 80GB, 12TB storage
    PSU/Case: Corsair AX850, Silverstone TJ07

Xtreme Cruncher
    Well I am inclined to have a shop cat. He/she could actually "earn keep" eliminating pests out here. Wife is deadset against a housecat. But Shopcat...that's another storey. My Grandparents on Mom's side always had cats..outdoor cats. They just hung around when they wanted and went off exploring when they didn't. Seems like a good life.

Personality on the lil fella is A+. Seemed to appreciate some soothing words and a few gentle strokes of the fur. He's dried out now and down in the shop having a prowl. I fed him some tuna salad and shredded cheese and offered up some scramble egg but it was not taken.

We'll see how it goes.

First name that popped to mind was "Roadkill" but that's a helluva name to live up to

Wife (who doesn't want a cat) said she'd call him 220 (since that's the road I rescued him from). But that road is also called Virgil Goode Highway...so maybe Virgil?

Not a bad looking cat...loooooong eyebrow whiskers has me thinking it's a "buckethead" male that'll grow to a good size...Primarily black, long fluffy coat maybe 10-12 weeks old. Green eyes, white mustache and toes.

Too dark to take a pic without flash and I want him to chill out so I'll not be chasing him around the shop floor trying to get any shots. Maybe later when we've bonded.

Oh and he might be from a litter of somone's outdoor cats but they obviously don't give a damn or he wouldn't be in the middle of a highway in the rain. I've seen (what I think is) the mother cat off on her own last week and I saw the other kits out on the local drive occasionally and I've seen cats for years in the same hedgerow of an undeveloped lot. I seriously doubt this is an owned, missing kitten. More likely the result of lazy owners that don't spay or neuter.
    Last edited by CyberDruid; 08-31-2009 at 07:27 AM.
    20 Logs on the fire for WCG: i7 920@2.8 X3220@3.0 X3220@2.4 E8400@4.05 E6600@2.4

WCG Cruncher
    I see the cat has already begun to assume control. You must have stared into its eyes for too long. Perhaps even its act of sitting in the middle of the road, seemingly in great peril, was designed to ensnare an unwary new "master."

Distributed Computing: Making the world a better place, one work-unit at a time.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp

Mr. Boardburner
    A friend of mine has 2 cats called Suse and Pixel. There's plenty of orginal names around
    Main rig:
    CPU: I7 920C0 @ 3.6Ghz (180*20)
    Mobo: DFI UT X58 T3eH8
    RAM: 12GB OCZ DDR3-1600 Platinum
    GPU/LCD: GeForce GTX280 + GeForce 8600GTS (Quad LCDs)
    Intel X25-M G2 80GB, 12TB storage
    PSU/Case: Corsair AX850, Silverstone TJ07

Xtreme Cruncher
    Keep it!

Tell the wife to get over a few dead mice. Maybe a bunny or a bird once in a while too, but hey, that is natural selection. And like said before, some cats dont catch anything. My cats only eat flies.

Quote Originally Posted by Plan.B View Post
    I see the cat has already begun to assume control. You must have stared into its eyes for too long. Perhaps even its act of sitting in the middle of the road, seemingly in great peril, was designed to ensnare an unwary new "master."

Xtreme Cruncher
    Virgil - perfect (220 is to long to call)
    Shop cat - perfect

just my

Wanna Pull My Finger?
    Eh , use Roadkill for the name , it has a certain ring to it. Plus it souds good when you hollar for the cat.
    Donate to Xtreme Systems!

Now Showing:
    Gigabyte x48-DQ6, Q6600,OCZ 1066 Reapers,2 750gb seagate 7200.11 hd, BFG 8800GTS 512,PC P&C 750 Quad psu, 24" Sceptre lcd, Antec 900

my wife's system now!
    Intel C2D 6400, Zotac Matx mobo, 1gb kingston mem, Nvidia 7050, I Feel really Good now!
    Jon C2D 6600 Zotac mobo 1gb mem............................................... ................. HTPC qx6700@3.0ghz
    Annabelle Amd 3800+@2.4ghz, Biostar mobo, 1gb ocz pc4500 beta's................. Optyx2 opty165@ 2.1 ghz

'Want a real high?
    Come crunch WCG and you'll feel like your on QuadCaine"

First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

version 2.0
    You could call him roadie or rowdy.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    KEEP IT!

Mind you I think that I might just be living vicariously through you. I want nothing more than a cat right now, but until I move into my new place (finalized the deal on Saturday) I don't have anywhere to keep one.

Having a shop cat can be a huge boon though in terms of pest control. We had one when we lived on our hobby farm. For years she was pretty much outside only and very skittish, then when she mellowed out she came to live inside and hardly ventured from my sister's room. Here name was "Whuffy" and she was the ass-kickingest little kitty ever. Even an unfriendly cat seems to have a way to endearing itself to everyone and the whole family was devastated when she died.
    Please note: I am not here to provide any kind of official NCIX support on these forums.

For faster (and official) service please contact me at Linus@ncix.com, or please contact our customer care team at wvvw.NCIX.com (Canada) or wvvw.NCIXUS.com (America)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647

Back from the Dead
    What kind of woman does not want to keep a kitten when she sees it?

Anyway I'd say keep him. Maybe he's like my cat, who basically behaves like a walking stuffed animal. He never bites, scratches, or hunts
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Keep it.....

......those things are delicious......stir fried.....medium spicy. j/k http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1MgDGw0RTY
    Last edited by dengyong; 08-31-2009 at 06:53 PM.

Wanna Pull My Finger?
    You realize of course that for a cat to hunt it has to be taught by it's mother, otherwise they're pretty useless for pest control.
    Donate to Xtreme Systems!

Now Showing:
    Gigabyte x48-DQ6, Q6600,OCZ 1066 Reapers,2 750gb seagate 7200.11 hd, BFG 8800GTS 512,PC P&C 750 Quad psu, 24" Sceptre lcd, Antec 900

my wife's system now!
    Intel C2D 6400, Zotac Matx mobo, 1gb kingston mem, Nvidia 7050, I Feel really Good now!
    Jon C2D 6600 Zotac mobo 1gb mem............................................... ................. HTPC qx6700@3.0ghz
    Annabelle Amd 3800+@2.4ghz, Biostar mobo, 1gb ocz pc4500 beta's................. Optyx2 opty165@ 2.1 ghz

'Want a real high?
    Come crunch WCG and you'll feel like your on QuadCaine"

First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberDruid View Post
    Of course the kids would love a pet...but I was thinking Guinea pigs...not stray kitten...
    guinea pigs are not very good pets dude. they are too bumb to even realize who you are.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Virgil would be a good choice for a "shop" cat.
    mike

ROADTRIP For my DAD 09-11-07 and MA 10-28-11

comhar a neartú agus a leathnú

of the Strawhat crew.
    I just got a kitten around that age recently and it's great. It is a 100% inside kitty and it grew on my very quickly.

You might as well start with the whole vet thing because you'll be attached in no time.

And talking about personalities... each cat is different. One of my cats is 16 pounds and loves to sleep on the couch and bed and she comes around us often. Another cat we have is super skinny... avoids everyone and she's grumpy.

XtremeSystems BF3 Platoon - Any XS member is welcome.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast