Thread: big overclocking problem with Windows 7 x64

big overclocking problem with Windows 7 x64

hi all!

as you can read from the title of this discussion, I have many problems with my new OS Windows 7 x64 Ultimate RTM .....

the first problem is when I had to install it from the dvd... around the beginning of the installation I received many times this errors, with blu screen

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

and also this with another bios and hard diskes combination:

STOP: 0X0000007E (0XFFFFFFFFC0000005, OXFFFFF8000C75ABB9, 0XFFFFF880009A82F8, 0XFFFFF880009A7B50)

well, I put all the bios in default and the installation started and ended without problem

...but I am sick, as all people in this forum, so I simply cannot have the system at default setting ...so I went inside the bios and I started to set up something more fast..

I did my older setting that I have used for 1 years without problem, completely stable on my XP SP3 :

• put the ram at 445mhz
    • the strap I think is 333
    • the ram are on auto because I don't know how to setting good them..
    • cpu freq. is 4000 (ratio x9, I have e8400)
    • vcore 1,350v (i tried also to give much more (1,400v) for to be sure that it was not this, but nothing again blu screen
    • vram 2,08v.. in the bios I read around 2,13v so considering the ram that I have, from SPD, at 533mhz a couple of corsair wants 2.100v and other couple of crucial wants 2.000v
    • the timings, for what I see, I think that are set in automatic from spd, so I have 5-5-5-18

now, with the same settings, I can use without problem for days and days without rebooting or freezing my XP SP3... with the same settings I cannot enter in Windows 7 x64

I would like to understand what I can to try to do for to solve this problem...

I hope somebody have some ideas and suggestions...

thank you very very much !!
    -Asus P5E @ Rampage Formula 0902
    -Intel Q9650 @ ???
    -Corsair xms2 2x2gb
    -Crucial pc8500 2x1gb
    -Ati 4890
    -Intel X25-M G2 80gb
    -Seagate 500gb sata2
    -Seagate 1500gb sata2
    -Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300gb sata
    -VAPOCHILL LS Black " now not working"
    -OCZ Gamextreem 700W
    -Thermaltake BigArmor VA8000 Black Metal
    -Creative X-FI extreem music

Xtreme Member
    some ideas:

1. electronic devices degrade in time and with usage.
    2. different software means different usage of hardware, most notably different drivers.
    3. as a conclusion: your 'stable' settings could be just on the edge of being mostly stable in XP but not being stable in 7.

don't page fault BSODs and other random ones point to faulty memory? run memtest from a cd.

but there is always the chance of unstable software, which is far more likely than my upper thoughts

gl

64bit oses use more cpu instructions that the 32bit and are more demanding on the hardware with higher potential loads so u will generally have to lower an oc by 200mhz or so. and win7 is touchy on ram
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    im surprised with 4gb ram and never used x64 os before
    Rig 1 Asus ROG Strix B550-F WiFi, R7 5800x, 64GB Vengeance LPX 4*16GB, Zotac GTX 1070Ti, X-Fi Titanium, Enermax Revolution D.F. 850w, SSDs 768GB, HDD 3TB, CM 912HAF, NH D-15 Black.cr
    Rig 2 Asus Maximus VI Hero, i7 4770K@4000, 32GB Ballistix VLP 4*8GB, Gigabyte GTX 970, eVGA G3 850, SSD 512GB, HDD 2TB, TT Element-T, NH D-14.

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    Quote Originally Posted by enteon View Post
    some ideas:

1. electronic devices degrade in time and with usage.
    2. different software means different usage of hardware, most notably different drivers.
    3. as a conclusion: your 'stable' settings could be just on the edge of being mostly stable in XP but not being stable in 7.

don't page fault BSODs and other random ones point to faulty memory? run memtest from a cd.

but there is always the chance of unstable software, which is far more likely than my upper thoughts

gl
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    64bit oses use more cpu instructions that the 32bit and are more demanding on the hardware with higher potential loads so u will generally have to lower an oc by 200mhz or so. and win7 is touchy on ram
    these

i remember my tccd memory was stable at XXXmhz in memtest, XXX-? in winxp, and XXX-?? in winxp64
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by xman01 View Post
    im surprised with 4gb ram and never used x64 os before
    That is not very uncommon at all to be honest. Many people either upgrade an existing XP system or upgrade their hardware but maintain their OS. This and the fact that kits are 2x2gb and 2x3gb standard now for all current platforms.

@SEREUPIN80

As far as your issue, I'm with the others in pointing the figure at your memory. You might have to play around with your timings / clocks and possibly voltage.
    Feedanator 7.0
    CASE:R5|PSU:850G2|CPU:i7 6850K|MB:x99 Ultra|RAM:8x4 2666|GPU:980TI|SSD:BPX256/Evo500|SOUND:2i4/HS8
    LCD:XB271HU|OS:Win10|INPUT:G900/K70 |HS/F:H115i

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenfeed View Post
    That is not very uncommon at all to be honest. Many people either upgrade an existing XP system or upgrade their hardware but maintain their OS. This and the fact that kits are 2x2gb and 2x3gb standard now for all current platforms.

@SEREUPIN80

As far as your issue, I'm with the others in pointing the figure at your memory. You might have to play around with your timings / clocks and possibly voltage.
    hello.. thanks for your advices

Yesterday I flashed the bios with the latest of Rampage Formula 0901.. I still have to do some test, but I have not a lot hope that all will be solved..

For example, on north bridge, south bridge, PLL, and many other settings for ram, I leave on AUTO and I think that it is not a very good idea if I wish to obtain a good balance and stable system...

so, if you have enough patience for a so nooby like me , can you try to help me with some test or specific setting ? I think that I can stay on 4ghz on air with this system, but I will need to find the right setting.. what do you think ?

maybe It is better to leave only the couple of corsair ?
    -Asus P5E @ Rampage Formula 0902
    -Intel Q9650 @ ???
    -Corsair xms2 2x2gb
    -Crucial pc8500 2x1gb
    -Ati 4890
    -Intel X25-M G2 80gb
    -Seagate 500gb sata2
    -Seagate 1500gb sata2
    -Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300gb sata
    -VAPOCHILL LS Black " now not working"
    -OCZ Gamextreem 700W
    -Thermaltake BigArmor VA8000 Black Metal
    -Creative X-FI extreem music

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    Thanks for the info Zanzabar!

I expected that when Win 7 rejected my RAM with many errors.

I have upgraded my PC with a ASUS Maximus II GENE Mobo and it didn't like the OCZ Platinum Quad Kit (4x2GB).
    Changing MEM Volts didn't solve the problems for me and I restored the BIOS to Auto
    Now I have a OCZ Gold XTC Kit with 4x4GB that's supported on QVL on the way, I often try to take the chance to upgrade while service the PC

To have a resonable stable system while waiting for the RAM and Win 7 Retail I use Win XP x64 witch is more economical on RAM usage.

Xtreme Mentor
    also on another note win7 is a lot more touchy on overclocking in general a lot of people that had oc's "fine" in vista/xp found it's unstable in win 7 =)
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James