Thread: odd issue. Phenom II x550 BE unlocked seen as X4 but 2 cores???

Xtreme Addict

odd issue. Phenom II x550 BE unlocked seen as X4 but 2 cores???

Attempting to unlock my X550BE Phenom II cpu on a Gigabyte MA790XT UDP4 motherboard. Updated to F5 bios and set ACC to hybrid and the Auto feature per previous threads/info I recieved.

Bios posts as Phenom X50, and cpu z reads the cpu as a Phenom x4 cpu, but then in the lower right it says 2 cores, and task manager only has 2 cores registered??? Also system is now buggy/unstable which I assume is from one of the 2 cores. Maybe having to tweak bios more, or maybe not even stable at all. But why isn't the additional cores showing up in cpuz or in windows to function?

date code was 0925
    it's never fast enough!

Xtreme Member
    It looks like windows isn't picking up the other two cores like it's supposed to. Check msconfig > boot > advanced options
    Phenom II X2 550 BE @ X4 B50 3.4ghz
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - 2 x 120mm Scythe S-Flex F
    MSI 790FX-GD70 4GB G.Skill ddr3 1333 Pi series 7-7-7-18 1.6v
    WD 250 GB Sata
    EVGA 9800GT w/ Accelero S1 Rev. 2 Passive cooler
    Corsair TX650w psu

Xtreme Member
    did restarting the systems brings the 2 missing cores?
    or try uninstalling the processors via device manager, and restarting the systems. see if it helps
    also, you may want to check out msconfig. maybe you accidentally put a limit to 2 cores in there

Xtreme Addict
    yeah I might have put 2 cores in msconfig when I first setup windows :O
    doh
    will try these tips thx
    it's never fast enough!

Xtreme Addict
    once I set MSconfig back to normal ie not limiting to 2 cores it saw 4 cores fine.
    Problem is it will immediately error out on core 0 in prime 95. Rest run great even at 3.6ghz on air at +0.1v

Any way to disable one core in bios. I see this per each core and a +/- % per core, but not sure what that means.
    I have a feeling one core is just bad, but I could probably be a tri core if I knew how to work this
    it's never fast enough!

Xtreme 3D Team
    You could use ACC to try and stabilize that core.
    Smile

Xtreme Addict
    sorry guys
    as "in tune" the the oc'ing scene as I used to be, I'm way out of it now.

Any tips for how to stabilize or links to read up on it. I tried to set them all to --0.2% as per something I remember reading. Also, not sure if core's 0-4 in bios correspond to core 0-4 in prime95. IE if I adjust the first core in bios is it adjusting the one that is failing etc...

Sux b/c it boot to Vista64 at default voltage so I was hoping it would unlock
    it's never fast enough!

Xtreme Member
    weak cores need higher voltages for stable operation. try raising the voltages, i think 1.425v is acceptable for 3.6.
    1090T | CH4F | HIS HD5850 | TT EvoBlue 750W | TT Spedo Advance | CM Aquagate Max | Samsung S27A350

Xtreme Addict
    tried up to 1.525 and no help
    immediate error in prime and internet explorer crashes at first opening of web page
    it's never fast enough!

Try to disable one core and see if that's stable, at least that way you'd have an X3.

Xtreme Addict
    I can do that in windows via msconfig, but I can't choose which cpu.

How can I disable a specific core. All I see in bios is ranged in ACC per core with a + or - 12% next to them. No disable.
    it's never fast enough!

Xtreme Addict
    Should be worth a try http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=232364

What about downclocking the weak core, and run the other higher? k10stat, PhenomMsrTweaker etc should do the trick for that.
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200
    3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

Xtreme Enthusiast
    See if you can find a clock speed low enough on all 4 cores to keep stable. If you can, then use a tool like k10stat, AOD, etc and raise a core individually to see the one that is bad/weak. After that just boot into windows with the stable speed, then up the speed on the other cores and keep the weak one downclocked. That is how I would approach it anyways.

Xtreme Addict
    sweet thx guys

now you see what happens when you get old and take 1-2yrs off of reading the forums every day hehe!
    it's never fast enough!