Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Lack of 'Xtreme' Keyboards on XtremeSystems

Xtreme Cruncher
    i also have the deck legend ice. i have the original linear switch model instead of the newer tactile feedback model. it's very loud lol. but great as i play stepmania, if you are unfamiliar it's a rhythm game that you mash buttons. i also have the 82-key deck board, i really don't like it that much compared to the legend. it is about twice as loud, the layout is hard to get used to as it is missing keys and they are not in standard positions.. and it has problems typing certain combinations of more than 3 or 4 simultaneous keys (but only in certain keys and combinations, not generally). as far as backlight brightness goes, my legend is ice meaning blue leds and it's super bright. i only keep it on setting 1 (out of 0 through 7 settings) and it is bright enough for me. my 82 key deck is the red leds and they are WAY less bright! comparing them side by side, the red leds on MAX brightness level 7 are about as bright as level 2 or 3 on my blue led deck.

oh p.s. here is a REALLY old video i made to demonstrate the keyboard playing stepmania. man i was bad lol. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PTI3E70ml4
    Last edited by werdwerdus; 03-04-2010 at 01:38 PM. Reason: add link
    Main: i7-930 @ 2.8GHz HT on; 1x GIGABYTE GTX 660 Ti OC 100% GPUGrid
    2nd: i7-920 @ 2.66GHz HT off; 1x EVGA GTX 650 Ti SSC 100% GPUGrid
    3rd: i7-3770k @ 3.6GHz HT on, 3 threads GPUGrid CPU; 2x GIGABYTE GTX 660 Ti OC 100% GPUGrid
    Part-time: FX-4100 @ 3.6GHz, 2 threads GPUGrid CPU; 1x EVGA GTX 650 100% GPUGrid

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    there "used to be" a bluetooth filco. i do not know if it was discontinued or just pulled from the us market. as the us market is a single store (last time i checked), it wouldnt be surprising.
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

@Werdwerdus: Yeah I've seen that one. It did give me a pretty good idea of the sound it produces.
    I was thinking on making a video of mine to show the level of sound it produces. I am having difficulties finding a good comparison sound though. Something that everyone would know the loudness of and recognize at what volume they would have to set their speakers.
    PC: Case: Zalman Z-Machine GT-1000 Black Brushed Alu - Screen: HP W2408H - Mobo: DFI Lanparty DK P45-T2RS PLUS - CPU: Intel C2Q Q9550 - Ram: Corsair Dominator 8GB PC2-8500 - GPU: MSI 460GTX OC 'Cyclone' - Sound: Asus Xonar D2X + Onkyo HT-S5105 5.1 set
    Cooling Thermolab Baram + 2x tacens Ventus ice - Storage: OCZ Vertex 60GB, WD Caviar Black 1TB, WD Green 3TB - PSU: Corsair HX520 - Peripherals: Duck Orion TKL (MX Clears) + Roccat Kova mouse

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm typing with a Cherry G3000-80LPCES (Black MX switches) and I absolutely love it. It doesn't have any fancy leds nor it's a small sized keyboard: it's just a black, normal (from the outside) keyboard, as it has to be. At the beginning it felt a little too strong to push the buttons softly but now using a membrane one plain sucks.

It could be compared as trying an SSD...once you get used to it, there is no coming back.

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    Quote Originally Posted by JaccoW View Post
    @Werdwerdus: Yeah I've seen that one. It did give me a pretty good idea of the sound it produces.
    I was thinking on making a video of mine to show the level of sound it produces. I am having difficulties finding a good comparison sound though. Something that everyone would know the loudness of and recognize at what volume they would have to set their speakers.
    wow, i was just thinking the same thing... a sound benchmark and reference.
    but any answers you seek pretty much are already documented at geekhack.
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440

I am Xtreme
    Neither my Model M nor my Steelseries 7G works properly when using a ps2 to usb adapter on my mac. Thinking about picking up the Realforce 87U now. It is native usb so hopefully the keys will function properly. Shame I can't find a seller in Canada though. Going to end up paying north of $300USD to get one up here.

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Again, if anyone manages to find a split-half raised-middle ergonomic one, please do let me know. I have used a mechanical keyboard, and much preferred it, but by the same token I really can't type on a straight board any more.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Das Keyboard user here. I recently found out that I love mech boards!
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Addict
    No fans of the Fatal1ty keyboard? I've had mine for a few years now and love it as much as the day I bought it. It has a bit of an odd layout, but I love the the scissor-switch keys and short key press distance. It has "eluminX" backlighting but, TBQH, I never turn it on.

--Matt
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    Neither my Model M nor my Steelseries 7G works properly when using a ps2 to usb adapter on my mac. Thinking about picking up the Realforce 87U now. It is native usb so hopefully the keys will function properly. Shame I can't find a seller in Canada though. Going to end up paying north of $300USD to get one up here.
    have you tried different adapters? they are NOT all the same. try a "blue cube".

id help you with the shipping thing, but itd probably be about that in the end anyway.

Still a fan of my Deck 82. Takes some getting used to though... haha, whenever my friends try to use it they get all frustrated, but after adjusting to the layout, it's a really fun keyboard. Mouse & wasd proximity a plus when gaming, and it's got a skull replacement key... Come on! A skull!

Intel i7 960 @ 4.2GHz | EVGA X58 SLI | OCZ Z 850W | Prolimatech Mega Shadow HS | 18GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 | 2x MSI GTX570 SLI W/C | Kingston 64GB V+ SSD | CM Stacker 830

Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective View Post
    Again, if anyone manages to find a split-half raised-middle ergonomic one, please do let me know. I have used a mechanical keyboard, and much preferred it, but by the same token I really can't type on a straight board any more.
    not sure if you have seen, but there are a few (not sure if its the kind you want) in this thread http://www.overclock.net/computer-pe...ard-guide.html

never used it but you might want to check out (again, not sure if this style is of intrest to you) http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/advantage.htm

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewZorn View Post
    where it will miss keystokes after about 120wpm
    umm you type superfast!!

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    not me

Xtreme Cruncher
    I couldn't go back to using 'normal' keyboards, flat keyboards are so much nicer. Here's mine
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Xcel; 03-16-2010 at 08:07 AM.

That's pretty shocking, to be honest. I don't know why anyone would willingly torture themselves with laptop keys when they don't have to! =P

The Das is pretty good, but it's buggy as all get out. Can't POST with it in, it kills other USB ports when on, and it transposes key presses when typing fast. I only type 75-80 WPM so I'm not sure how much it's effecting me, but it sure "seems" like I get it quite a bit. Going to try a Filco with Cherry blues in it later this week and see what's up.
    Last edited by Particle; 03-17-2010 at 05:43 AM.
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

I received the Filco Majestouch Tactile Click NKRO today that I ordered last weekend. This thing is beautiful! It's obviously superior to the Das. They both use Cherry blue switches, but this one is substantially quieter than the Das is. It's also about twice as heavy due to its quality construction. I think the base plate is made out of depleted uranium or lead or something. I'd originally planned to use the Das at work and use the Filco at home so that I could use a mechanical board at both places, but now I'm pretty sure I'm going to eBay the Das for a small loss fairly quickly and just buy another Filco. I'd highly recommend this thing!

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Rule 3:

Xtreme Cruncher
    Im using an IBM Model-M

AMD FX 8350 @ 4.4Ghz
    Corsair H60
    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+
    8GB Mushkin Blackline @ 1800Mhz
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB
    Crucial C300 SSD - Bootdrive
    2 x 640GB Samsung - 1.2TB RAID 0
    800GB Western Digital Green SATAII
    Corsair TX 750
    Coolermaster HAF932 - Modded by Blackstare

Did someone say XTREME, this is xtreme:
    http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=23346

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackstare View Post
    Im using an IBM Model-M

Did you spray paint it? No offense but I think that the stock puke colour would look better than that.

No, the blue caps aren't standard. If you think it's ugly, don't buy them. I thought it was an interesting accent option as a gamer.

This thing makes absolute toast out of the Das Keyboard Professional, I have to say, after having used them both.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Particle; 03-19-2010 at 09:08 PM.

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Rule 3:

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    i like them, and think the red esc looks even better (an even more ridiculous bandwagon though, i admit)
    i just could not stomach bothering PAYING so MUCH for them (on the HHKB/realforce they are $4-$5 a key...)

and it is funny you made the lead joke, there was a guy on geekhack that filled his logitech gamepad with lead to weigh it down after replacing all the dome switches with mechanical ones and high-quality keycaps.

Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    Did you spray paint it? No offense but I think that the stock puke colour would look better than that.
    it has been spraypainted (or modified somehow) as the only black model M is the M13 (the one with the trackpoint, i have one)
    they do make black model M clones, unicomp keyboards, but they would not say IBM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkosem View Post
    No fans of the Fatal1ty keyboard? I've had mine for a few years now and love it as much as the day I bought it. It has a bit of an odd layout, but I love the the scissor-switch keys and short key press distance. It has "eluminX" backlighting but, TBQH, I never turn it on.

--Matt
    I had one a long time ago. Sold it, the only time I deal with scissor keys is when I'm using a laptop.

I have a Filco Cherry MX Blue on the way to replace my G15.

Xtreme Addict
    the world of high end keyboard is something I know little about. this thread is going to make me spend MONEY, i need a new KB and sick of the eclipses and things of that nature, i cant stand razer products and I cant get a g15 rev 1 sooo

guys that have used them and know, ALL I DO IS GAME, whats my best bet?

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.p...&pid=fkb104meb

whats the difference between this one and the higher prices ones on the site?

http://www.deckkeyboards.com/product...products_id=95

is this deck really that much better or worse?
    Mpower Max | 4770k | H100 | 16gb Sammy 30nm 1866 | GTX780 SC | Xonar Essence Stx | BIC DV62si | ATH AD700 | 550d | AX850 | VG24QE | 840pro 256gb | 640black | 2tb | CherryReds | m60 | Func1030 |
    HEAT

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    for games you want a keyboard with NKRO... for the filcos, it is optional (a bit extra money) but all deck legends have it.

the only reason id want/suggest a deck legend is if you are interested in the tactile switches they offer. the tactility associated with cherry blue and brown, but with a stiffer spring like that of cherry black.

cant really suggest cherry blue for games. cherry brown is nice if you care for really light keys. cherry black seems the top choice for games-only, stiff keypresses with no click, but they are supposedly awful for typing. the clear, again, offered in the deck tactile is a little bit of both.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast