Thread: Banchetto Cubed

Banchetto Cubed

After finishing up my practice cube to learn a bit about working with acrylic, I jumped in to the real thing. It was definitely a good idea to start on a practice piece first before I started hacking up expensive sheets of 3/8" acrylic. I learned a lot and will hopefully avoid some of the same mistakes. Here is as far as I took the practice piece:

IMG_0394 by andym2712, on Flickr

It gave me a very good idea of what the materials will look like on the real thing and I was very pleased with how it turned out (for being just a practice piece). The real case is proving to be much more challenging! My previous PC was a Banchetto 101 rack and I really liked the look of the glass-like plexi panels. But I wanted an enclosed case and more room for water-cooling. The plan is to build a cube out of 3/8" clear acrylic, with 1/8" black INSIDE the clear to hold things together and mount what needs mounting. Having the clear on the outside gives it a great, floating, bubble look. The difference is not that evident in the photos, but the difference between black on clear and clear on black is HUGE. Clear on black looks so much more polished but it is also much harder to build that way since every hole and cut is exposed - there are no trim pieces to cover anything up.

I also wanted to do away with drive cages all together. No optical drive and just 2 or 3 SSDs mounted in something other than a cage. I also really wanted to try out some of the new Aquacomputer Modularity radiators. I ordered 3 of the 240mm ones and waited patiently. The rest of the gear is mostly recycled from my previous system. Asus Rampage III Extreme, I7-950, GTX-570 in SLI. Everything is watercooled except the VRAM (I've just never liked a video card enough to invest in a full cover block.

So far I like the new radiators - if for no other reason than they look different - they have 6 (!) ports for all sorts of configurations. But I'm not sure that the "modular-less" of them is really all that useful for most people.

IMG_0516 by andym2712, on Flickr

IMG_0515 by andym2712, on Flickr

I also wanted to try some new fans and a controller. I wanted a controller that could control fan speed and pump speed and display flow and water temps on an LCD. The Koolance was the only one that I found that would do all of that. I really wanted to like the aquaero, but I couldn't get passed the need to use LCD Hype (Bleh!) and add on an expansion card to handle the pump. Maybe I'm wrong about it, but that's the best info I could find.

IMG_0519 by andym2712, on Flickr

My plan is to have only 2 fans running when at idle, then have the other 4 come on as water temperature increases and maybe increase the flow rate. It should be totally silent at idle and close to silent at full load, but we'll see how that goes.

But anyway - I messed around in sketch up enough to determine that an 18" cube was a good fit and once I got the radiators in I played around with various layouts and ultimately ended up back where I started - 3 radiators in a "U" with the PSU in the back and a horizontal mobo tray. Sorta like this:

IMG_0521 by andym2712, on Flickr

I started out much like I did on the practice piece. I cut out the 4 posts and put in the brass inserts. (Thanks Phinix for the idea). Just drill a hole (using a specialized acrylic bit!) then just heat them up with a soldering iron and they slide right in and are super solid! I had to cut a bunch of the inserts in half in order for them to fit in the same place on opposite sides.

IMG_0536 by andym2712, on Flickr

IMG_0578 by andym2712, on Flickr

IMG_0392 by andym2712, on Flickr

Then I stared following my golden rule when working with thick acrylic. Thick acrylic is not easy to cut. Go too slow and it melts, too fast and it chips, use the wrong blade or drill bit or even drop it and you might be hosed. BUT - it's super easy to cut with a flush-cut router bit on a router table. So I make every piece out of wood first, tape it to the wood and route away. I'm using mdf which is about perfect. It's cheap and easy to cut with a table saw or a scroll saw. And I get the added bonus of test fitting each piece before its committed to plastic. If its not right or I change my mind (often) I haven't wasted $30+ on a piece of plastic.

I started by mounting the PSU to the bottom sheet of acrylic. I had to do a little modding to the PSU because of the way I wanted to mount it which I described here. I wanted the fan mount to be the main structural attachment.

IMG_0518 by andym2712, on Flickr

Once I had the base started and the 4 posts in place, I cut out the 5 main panels out of MDF and fitted them.

IMG_0531 by andym2712, on Flickr

IMG_0556 by andym2712, on Flickr

Now I can start working on each side one a time going from the bottom up and inside out. 3 of the bottom side panels all have radiators and are the same. So I made one template and just copied it onto the 1/8" black acrylic.

IMG_0612 by andym2712, on Flickr

Then I started trying to figure out what I wanted to do for radiator grills. I got some awesome mesh from a Hot Rod shop called Kris Kustoms that looks great and makes killer grills:

small oval perf by andym2712, on Flickr

small oval perf by andym2712, on Flickr

IMG_0597 by andym2712, on Flickr

IMG_0586 by andym2712, on Flickr

The Mobo tray was pretty simple. I just drew a 14" radius on 3 sides and marked the holes for the stand offs, then copy onto acrylic.

IMG_0568 by andym2712, on Flickr

IMG_0573 by andym2712, on Flickr

Mounting the tray was a little tricky. I wanted to notch the legs at a 45 so the tray would sit in there flush. I don't have any photos of how I did it, but it involved several passes on the table saw (with the legs propped up 45) and lots of filing. But it turned out nice.

IMG_0582 by andym2712, on Flickr
    Last edited by Col. Panic; 12-20-2011 at 08:58 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Nice start to an interesting build.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Here is a picture of how I did the grills. I just sandwiched the mesh between pieces of acrylic. I'm really happy with how clean it looks from the front and back.

IMG_0580 by andym2712, on Flickr

IMG_0584 by andym2712, on Flickr

Next up I had to work out how to handle the water flow. I wanted to use as little hose as possible and keep it as clean as possible. Even though those rads have 6(!) ports each, it still took forever to figure out an efficient way to route it all. It gave me a headache staring at it but I had to figure it out before I could commit to mounting the radiators. I'm going to end up mounting the pump upside down to the bottom of the mobo tray. I also got to plug the fans in and see how quiet they are. (about the same as a yate-loon IMO)

IMG_0616 by andym2712, on Flickr

Next up I decided to tackle the back panel. I drilled the holes for the PSU and decided to put the fan controller right there on top of it. It fit nice and I didn't really have a place in mind for it since I have no drive bays. Shockingly all the holes lined up. Anyone who's ever tried anything like this can probably relate. No matter how carefully I measure and drill, when I'm drilling this many holes in this many pieces that all have to line up with one another it's a really good feeling when it lines up the first time. More often, there will be one damn hole off by 1/8" for no good reason!

IMG_0621 by andym2712, on Flickr

IMG_0617 by andym2712, on Flickr

The next piece would probably be the hardest of all. The 3/8" thick clear back piece. It had to take into account: the PSU and fan controller openings, the I/O panel and the PCI slots.

I started by offsetting the opening for the PSU and fan controller and drilling the holes for the screw heads that hold on the piece under it. Then cut outs for the I/O panel and the PCI slots. I have an idea for holding in the PCI cards and filling the black spaces but I'm not sure it will work yet.

IMG_0618 by andym2712, on Flickr

IMG_0622 by andym2712, on Flickr

So far so good, but this is still wood. Next up I'll copy it onto the clear acrylic and see if it all still works.

Another thing on the to-be-solved list. I'm not sure if its the fan or the radiator that's different but I don't remember ever having huge gaping holes between the fan and the radiator before.

IMG_0523 by andym2712, on Flickr

Xtreme Guru
    I suggest to close those holes with something with these (probably NB multiframes?) fans. You may loose some pressure with them as is, thus have less efficient cooling then might have been.