Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retail P4EE...Initial Impressions for the Average Guy

Evil Kitty

Retail P4EE...Initial Impressions for the Average Guy

Well folks...my retail P4EE showed up today. It's the same FPO/Batch # as Creative's. Right now, all the reports of retail chips seem to be from that batch.

Initial impressions....mixed.

First the bad:

Multipliers are locked Yep....I'm afraid so. That sucks the big one for sure. Unless it's just my IC7-G, no multiplier adjustment shows up in the BIOS. Someone with another model board and an EE should confirm this.

Next, this is the first CPU to come along and overwhelm my modest little water/pelt system. As FUGGER mentioned a while back, these things are voltage hungry to get to the top clocks, and it takes serious cooling to keep up with the heat. Don't expect monster clocks without super cooling.

Now the Good:

Running at just stock 3.2, the EE easily outmatched my P4C 3.0 clocked at 3850 in 3DMark2001. That's not a bad jump at all.

Running at a stable 3920mhz, the EE cranks out easy 24K 3DMarks with my crappy unmodded 9800 Pro 128 card with enemic clocks of 490/370. That's also running on Win XP with CAT 3.7s...far from an optimal set up for benching. I've spent all of 1 hour with this chip so far, so there is a lot of tweaking to go.

With a serious card in there (9800XT) and the proper volt mods, 27K+ would be easy pickins. With the chiller hooked up and another 200mhz OC, who knows

Where do things go from here? Well, I'm thinking of volt modding the 9800 for starters. Next, I need to complete my chiller project if I want to get a higher OC out of my EE. It'll run a few benches at 4ghz and all, but it craps out of prime after around 45 minutes. Just too much heat.

So all in all it's mixed impressions. No multipliers really suck. But, on the other hand, considering my modest water/pelt set up, lack of any mods to the mobo or vid card, and crappy vid card clocks, I'm actually getting some terrific scores. These scores should be considered good for most "average" mortals like myself

Now we just need confirmation on the multiplier I hope it's just my mobo, but I don't think so.
    9900k @ 5.1Ghz
    Asus Maximus Hero XI
    32GB (8 x 4) Gskill @4000
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    OS & Apps: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
    Games: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
    Storage: Crucial M500 2TB
    Seasonic Platinum 1000W
    Phanteks Evolv X

Xtreme Member
    nice

have fun with that..
    E4300|IB9|Ultra-120 Extreme

Xtreme Addict
    OMG thats insane that you get the same at 3.2 than at 3.8 with other cpu

Can I share this thread to report mdzcpa or should i just stick to mine? Nice results man, really nice results

ps
    GOt it working now.....i had the cpu fan in the chasis and not cpu and put in cpu and it worked :thumbsup:
    Last edited by Creative; 11-25-2003 at 10:12 PM.

Intel P4 3.2 EE || Asus P4C800-E || Prometia Mach II || 2 x 256Meg HyperX 3500 || Antec TrueControl|| Sapphire Radeon 9800XT || 2x Raptors || Samsung 172T

OCAU 3DMark Team || 3DMark Compare: 26847 || World of Britney|| PCDB Entry

"Sundance is weird. The movies are weird. You actually have to think about them when you watch them. " -Britney Spears

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I was actually considering gettin the Pentium IV 3.2 EE.

Now that I know it is 100% locked, I am having second thoughts. The only way to get good results is to clock it up very high and good cooling is a must.

That is it, I am going to buy the Athlon 64 FX - 53 next.

Unless, if I can get hold of a Pentium IV 3.2EE ES. I have asked someone to help me find one. If I can get one, I will buy it and use the IC7 Max3.

The 3DMark 2001 SE scores are very nice actually.

Here is a score from a local overclocker in Hong Kong who managed to get his Pentium IV 3Ghz ($250) to 4.05Ghz and his Radeon 9800XT air cooled at (497mhz core and 410mhz mem).

= 24368 3DMarks

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7256319

This should give an idea if the Pentium IV 3.2EE is worth the $1000 or not.

As from what I am seeing, there will be a good 10% to 15% increase if both systems used the same display card.

The only sad thing is that 10% to 15% if one can manage to achieve costs about $1000. Some resellers are selling them for $1200.
    Last edited by Manoj; 11-25-2003 at 10:21 PM.

Xtreme Addict

Re: Retail P4EE...Initial Impressions for the Average Guy

Originally posted by mdzcpa
    Now we just need confirmation on the multiplier I hope it's just my mobo, but I don't think so.
    Ratio Status: Locked

Oh well. Also I cant see anything about L3 cache so Ill try some other forums

Intel P4 3.2 EE || Asus P4C800-E || Prometia Mach II || 2 x 256Meg HyperX 3500 || Antec TrueControl|| Sapphire Radeon 9800XT || 2x Raptors || Samsung 172T

OCAU 3DMark Team || 3DMark Compare: 26847 || World of Britney|| PCDB Entry

"Sundance is weird. The movies are weird. You actually have to think about them when you watch them. " -Britney Spears

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Shame about the multipliers but still very nice scores. Also, the short time you took to get to that level backs up your statements on the Intel boards being good and stable and a known quantity. I think it took longer than that to get my AMD64 board to actually boot up.

Looking forward to seeing how you and Creative progress.

Regards

Andy

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You guys see these pics of this poor P4 EE I wouldn't try to take the IHS off unless you are brave and have a grand to throw out the window

(They are from this thread at [H] Since some of you cant see the thread here's one pic below)

This would explain why the mO steppings have a new solder like interface material. I wouldn't try and remove the IHS off mO steppings

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread....hreadid=693498

P4 3.2
    P4C800-E
    Xtreme Tek Werkz Typhoon waterblock
    Maze4 GPU Waterblock
    Mcx159-P w/10,500rpm counter-rotating 50mm JMC fan
    Mushin BH-5 Promo build 2-2-2
    9800 pro with silversink ramsinks
    WD Raptors

My Heatware

Xtreme Addict
    ouchies ROFL haha

now that's some expensive paper weight

damn

Xtreme Legend
    Originally posted by Ragnarok
    ouchies ROFL haha

now that's some expensive paper weight

damn
    it was a 2.4C though..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Is Prescott releasing this year?

I heard it will release just before Christmas. Is it true?
    Last edited by Manoj; 11-26-2003 at 01:13 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Originally posted by JCviggen
    it was a 2.4C though..
    I doubt it very much looking at the size of that core!! That's a P4EE for sure!

Xtreme Legend
    Originally posted by Walrusbonzo
    I doubt it very much looking at the size of that core!! That's a P4EE for sure!
    it was an M0 stepping 2.4C m8...those are castrated -aka failed- EEs

Xtreme Relic
    No sweat....just RMA it and tell them it was DOA.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson (1939 - 2005)

Xtreme Legend
    yea...or say UPS dropped the box

Xtreme Member
    And what are those scratch marks doing there? Sad person who did this.
    Using a screwdriver and a hammer to make a nice picture of as much destruction as possible I think.

Edit: JC, Makkinen was outclassed by Petter Solberg this year
    Last edited by mkleingeld; 11-26-2003 at 03:18 AM.
    ZX12 Kawa power

DFI nf4, AMD 64 X2 4400+ prometeia cooled, 2 x 512mb Twinmos SP 2.2.2.0, Antec 550w, 7800GTX Zalman VF700cu cooled

Life is like a box of cpu's, you never know what you're gonna get.

Xtreme Legend
    I love this forum.

So much for "string theory" they must have seen the pics, and some engineer said "aha bondo will break their strings."
    Last edited by Liquid3D; 11-26-2003 at 03:19 AM.
    Q6600 (8x401FSB 1.28Vcore)
    2x FX-74
    Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
    Asus L1N64-SLI
    Corsair DDR3-1800 2GB
    Geil DDR2-800 4x1GB
    BFG 8800Ultra
    Leadtek 7950GX2 DD GX2
    Tuniq 1200W
    NZXT 1200W
    Storm WB 775
    2x Swiftech Microdrive Socket-L

Banned
    mdzcpa, very nice

you need to update your sig!

Xtreme Relic
    Originally posted by Liquid3D
    I love this forum.

So much for "string theory" they must have seen the pics, and some engineer said "aha bondo will break their strings."
    Until we come back with Super string theory!
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson (1939 - 2005)

Xtreme Legend
    What "guy here is average" anyway!

Lets start working on that Dude, I'll send you my calculations, we'll call it Super "silly string" theory
    Q6600 (8x401FSB 1.28Vcore)
    2x FX-74
    Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
    Asus L1N64-SLI
    Corsair DDR3-1800 2GB
    Geil DDR2-800 4x1GB
    BFG 8800Ultra
    Leadtek 7950GX2 DD GX2
    Tuniq 1200W
    NZXT 1200W
    Storm WB 775
    2x Swiftech Microdrive Socket-L

Xtreme Legend
    Originally posted by mkleingeld

Edit: JC, Makkinen was outclassed by Petter Solberg this year
    Makinen retired...hes an old man, Solberg is not and theyre good friends anyway. 4 times in a row world rally champion... he got old, thats all

the heatspreader was definately not removed carefully, it almost looks like he damaged it on purpose

Evil Kitty
    Originally posted by Creative
    OMG thats insane that you get the same at 3.2 than at 3.8 with other cpu

Yep...I did find that very impressive. I didn't expect that much of a bump.

Can I share this thread to report mdzcpa or should i just stick to mine? Nice results man, really nice results

Sure As long as the topic is on point about typical P4EE results without totally insane or impractical cooling for every day use. I want to share with others what you can get when your only "a little" extreme. This rig is totally turn key, self contained and going to a LAN party with me this Friday

Originally posted by Manoj

The 3DMark 2001 SE scores are very nice actually.

I agree. I'm surely not making any kind of challenge on the ORB with these scores. After only one hour of tinkering around I couldn't be more pleased. I'm also running PC4000 memory at loose timings. I need to get my old PC3500 BH5 sticks back in there and tighten things down. Even without mods or more cooling, I am sure there is almost another 1000 points in there just by optimising everything including the ram.

This should give an idea if the Pentium IV 3.2EE is worth the $1000 or not.

To be honest, the EE is defintiely not a "must have" peice of hardware for the price they are charging. But, the performance is better than I expected.

Originally posted by zakelwe
    Shame about the multipliers but still very nice scores. Also, the short time you took to get to that level backs up your statements on the Intel boards being good and stable and a known quantity. I think it took longer than that to get my AMD64 board to actually boot up.
    [/QUOTE]

No doubt. I slapped the chip under my block in about 5 minutes and was running my first bench at stock speeds within 10 minutes of opening CPU box That is one advantage of going this route with a pre existing P4 system in hand.

And, like I said before, I haven't even begun to tweak anything. All I did was crank up the FSB and let er rip.

I'll have more results tonight after work.
    9900k @ 5.1Ghz
    Asus Maximus Hero XI
    32GB (8 x 4) Gskill @4000
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    OS & Apps: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
    Games: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
    Storage: Crucial M500 2TB
    Seasonic Platinum 1000W
    Phanteks Evolv X

Xtremely Large Member
    Originally posted by Liquid3D
    I love this forum.

eeep!

Don't even get me started on String Theory, I tried to explain the basics to friend a couple of weeks back, he looked as if his eyes were going to pop out and his head explode.

Never again.

Damn fine overclocking job, makes me want an EE myself, but I'd have to sell organs to buy one.
    Last edited by st0nedpenguin; 11-26-2003 at 05:34 AM.
    I've heard it all, I've seen it all, I've done it all. I just don't remember any of it.

DFI LanParty UT NF3 | A-64 3200+ | 1Gb OCZ EL DDR PC-3500 Limited Edition
    Radeon X800XT | Audigy 2 | 2x WD 74Gb Raptors | 60Gb IBM | 20Gb Maxtor
    OCZ PowerStream 520w | Mach II GT Cooled

Xtreme Addict
    Originally posted by JCviggen
    the heatspreader was definately not removed carefully, it almost looks like he damaged it on purpose
    Yeah, JC and me removed a 1.6A IHS some time ago and with some patience, it's almost invisible... Same with my 2.8C

mdzcpa: could you inform some more about voltages and temps? what temperature is the chilled water?

thanks
    24 core Xeon:
    2x Intel Xeon Q3QS 'ES' @ 4.1GHz (folding@3.8GHz) - (flakey) EVGA SR-2 - 2x Antec Kühler 620 - 6x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CL8 - MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II/OC - Thermalright Shaman - 2x Intel X25-M 80GB RAID0 - Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold - Lian Li PC-P80

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Originally posted by Manoj
    Is Prescott releasing this year?

I heard it will release just before Christmas. Is it true?
    there will be a few chips on christmas i think but it will only be available in LATE february in retail! :\

the few chips available will probably be for hardware sites and probably dell

Xtremely Large Member
    Originally posted by saaya
    there will be a few chips on christmas i think but it will only be available in LATE february in retail! :\

the few chips available will probably be for hardware sites and probably dell
    You gotta wonder what Dell do to get hold of Intel stuff so early, but I have an idea.

:smileysex
    I've heard it all, I've seen it all, I've done it all. I just don't remember any of it.

DFI LanParty UT NF3 | A-64 3200+ | 1Gb OCZ EL DDR PC-3500 Limited Edition
    Radeon X800XT | Audigy 2 | 2x WD 74Gb Raptors | 60Gb IBM | 20Gb Maxtor
    OCZ PowerStream 520w | Mach II GT Cooled

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast