• Yes

44 43.14%
  • No

58 56.86%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: seriously, an animated favicon?

uncore challenged...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    I see a vbulletin icon in ff , a static X image in chrome, and an E in IE.
    that seems to be the run-down.

FF needs cache to be cleared to see it, and some still can't even after that. but it is the only browser that shows animated favicon's.

Chrome shows just the first frame because it refuses to show animated favicons.

and IE, refuses to show any part of an animated favicon.

listen, when browsers purposely block animated favicons and won't even let the users see them...doesn't that speak volumes? with that said, i am pretty disappointed in FF.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
    Calm down
    sorry, ignorance gets me worked up...just one of those things. might be from the throbbing headache doctor Sparky says is impossible to be induced from something so small, i'll go take some advil and calm down
    Last edited by 3oh6; 08-21-2009 at 12:00 PM.
    i don't quote in my signature, but best WR ever...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jor3lBR View Post
    It holds the current WR for the least vcore required to run 4500Mhz stable (1.32vcore)
    i can't even make that shyt up ^^^

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGore View Post
    Wouldn't just XS be better then some side scrolling distracting crap?
    What's the screen resolution you're running? 800x600? Oh okay, then I understand why this 'sidescrolling crap' must distract you so terribly.

It's a fav icon damnit, and different than the vb standard one. Why make such a fuss about it? Why not let the staff experiment a little?

What? XS isn't a quality read anymore because the fav icon changed, suddenly it's all geocities and will definitely go down the drain? If you're thinking this you shouldn't even be here.
    The XS Folding@Home team needs your help! Join us and help fight diseases with your CPU and GPU!!

Quote Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
    sorry, ignorance gets me worked up...just one of those things. might be from the throbbing headache doctor Sparky says is impossible to be induced from something so small, i'll go take some advil and calm down
    Here I got you one

The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

On the rise!
    Jeez! I didn't think a favicon that is 16pixels by 16pixels could work on so many peoples minds.

Xtreme Addict
    Ok, I was about to post about how I don't get why you are so worked up about a favicon until I cleared my cache and saw it...

Yeah, that needs to be changed. Seriously distracting and it loads way too slowly for a favicon. Please go back to just the XS.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Oh god.. cleared my cache, no joke. The problem is this is the crap we saw in the 90's on all the crappy geocities websites of the era. We continue to see horrible design practices on myspace.. animated gifs = big no.

To give you an idea of bad web design: http://www.angelfire.com/super/badwebs/

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    Oh god.. cleared my cache, no joke. The problem is this is the crap we saw in the 90's on all the crappy geocities websites of the era. We continue to see horrible design practices on myspace.. animated gifs = big no.

To give you an idea of bad web design: http://www.angelfire.com/super/badwebs/
    Bah, they didn't even use <marquee><blink></blink></marquee>
    You are right on the money about bad design though.

On another note... I can't even have XS open in a separate tab because of the new favicon

Quote Originally Posted by faster3200 View Post
    On another note... I can't even have XS open in a separate tab because of the new favicon
    Why not? Works for me?
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by p2501 View Post
    What's the screen resolution you're running? 800x600? Oh okay, then I understand why this 'sidescrolling crap' must distract you so terribly.

It's a fav icon damnit, and different than the vb standard one. Why make such a fuss about it? Why not let the staff experiment a little?

What? XS isn't a quality read anymore because the fav icon changed, suddenly it's all geocities and will definitely go down the drain? If you're thinking this you shouldn't even be here.
    I am on my laptop so 1200x800. When you have 4 or 5 tabs open it is distracting as hell.

Also why does the staff have to experiment with something that was panned in the 90s as heavily retarded.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'm in different, I think its awesomely amazing, but its not like it bothering the crap out of me. I'm more bothered by the giant MSI add at the top of the page.

If it is distracting you that much, then you must have some kind of ADD. After a few minutes, I barely even notice it.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

of the Strawhat crew.
    I see it now. I like it.

XtremeSystems BF3 Platoon - Any XS member is welcome.

Xtreme Addict
    Funny how people get worked up over this. I like it! Heck didn't really notice till it was pointed out.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Lead Head View Post
    I'm in different, I think its awesomely amazing, but its not like it bothering the crap out of me. I'm more bothered by the giant MSI add at the top of the page.

If it is distracting you that much, then you must have some kind of ADD. After a few minutes, I barely even notice it.
    ADD? Nope, but a sense of design. Animated crap is.. crap

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Doesn't distract me at all.
    Now unless Fugger replaces it with a pic of a very very sexy lady I'm ok and NOT distracted
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Royal Administrator
    Thanks for the feedback, guys.

The poll is tough. I am glad 3oh6 found a workaround link to block an animated favicon for the users who are being annoyed by it in Firefox. I think the animated favicon is cool and unique. But I know it can be annoying to some users who intend to open multiple tabs and/or frequent this site. New users and some longtime users will get used to it. Let's see what FUGGER will say about the poll.

An animated favicon is currently not supported in Internet Explorer. It can be seen in Google Chrome as 'X,' but will not be animated.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    ADD? Nope, but a sense of design. Animated crap is.. crap
    I wouldn't go so far as to blanket say animated is crap. I think you will be really surprised with HTML5 and some of the awesome animated things being developed for it. I do think your intent is correct though, animation for animation's sake is crap which unfortunately the favicon is.

Of course, I would support a full XS redesign since there are quite a few bad/outdated design choices.

of the Strawhat crew.
    I think we need this image to tile on our desktops.

Xtreme Cruncher
    what icon? i dont see..wait, im in Microsoft's browser, and as all MS products it isnt working with the icon, allow me to go to a competent browser to see it

ok just been on firefox and i think the icon looks cool

Q9300 [Crunch] / XFX GTX285 [Fold] / EVGA 750i
    Two 250GB 7200 / 4GB XMS2 800 / 1Kw XPS PSU / Freezer Pro 7
    10,797 3DMark Vantage / Scythe 120mm Case fans / Vista U. 64
    PS3 - 700 Work Units and going strong!, XPS 720 H2C Case
    Crunching 24/7 on Q9300....might upgrade to an i7

Xtreme Addict
    Who gives a damn!
    >i5-3570K
    >Asrock Z77E-ITX Wifi
    >Asus GTX 670 Mini
    >Cooltek Coolcube Black
    >CM Silent Pro M700
    >Crucial M4 128Gb Msata
    >Cooler Master Seidon 120M
    Hell yes its a mini-ITX gaming rig!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterStoba View Post
    I've no diea what you've talking about. All I have here is the standard vbulletin favicon
    exactly... i was about to post what happened to the favicon... cause all i see the is the basic vbulletin logo...

im on FF3...

Admin
    Clear browsing history.

It doesn't bother me at all, but given the negative response shown here I think it's seriously worth considering simply using a static one.

of the Strawhat crew.
    Poll says keep it.

Admin
    Don't think we can go with simple majority on this one. Plenty seem bothered. I set the poll for 2 weeks, probably we should let it go for at least a week to come to a conclusion, but if it ends up being around 55/45 with more members voting then it'd make sense to ease their grief. I don't think anyone would mind a static one.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I don't see it. But I would love to know what all the fuss is about ...anyone wanna share a link or something..?
    --->TeamPURE<---

Admin
    Just look at Jody's avatar, what a hypocrite.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast