Thread: Best "silent" radiator fans

Best "silent" radiator fans

Ive tried Reading up and have had a huge dose of information overload.
    Im looking for the top 3 or 4 quiet radiator fans, 22dba tops. I have no intention of undervolting, just going to use a decent fan controller. I have 2 Silent 120X38mm fans and they are nice and quiet, but everyone seems to trash them, just read some user reviews on frozencpu!. Are there better options out there? money not being an issue, I intend to swap to a push pull configuration on my radiator double and triple rad with quiet fans.

low speed yate loons?
    Intel Core i7 920 4.2Ghz
    EVGA-E758 3X SLI
    OCZ Gold DDR3 1600 3x2gb
    Sapphire HD4850
    Corsair HX750W
    Lian-li PC-A71B
    WD 750GB
    Saitek Cyborg
    Logitech G5

Xtreme Addict
    Gentle Typhoons no contest. The blades are designed for max pressure with minimum noise.

Gentle Typhoons have the best noise/airflow ratio of any fan tested on radiators (amongst low speed/silent fans):

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=223391

I started with one, now I own five because I like them so much.
    Asus G73- i7-740QM, Mobility 5870, 6Gb DDR3-1333, OCZ Vertex II 90Gb

How much better cooling performance would I get with 6 high speed gentle typhoons, 85cfm 1450rpm, in push/pull over 3 low speed yate loons, 47cfm 28dba on my MCR320 cooling my CPU and VREG?
    Intel Core i7 920 4.2Ghz
    EVGA-E758 3X SLI
    OCZ Gold DDR3 1600 3x2gb
    Sapphire HD4850
    Corsair HX750W
    Lian-li PC-A71B
    WD 750GB
    Saitek Cyborg
    Logitech G5

Xtreme Member
    Don't forget the GTs are rated in m³/h not CFM. The highest rated GT, AP-15, lists 98 m³/h as its flow rate which (per onlineconversion.com) =

98 cubic meter/hour = 57.680 621 481 cubic foot/minute

Martin's graph seems to show even the AP-15 maxed out at 34 CFM on a rad, so the open air numbers fans quote are going to be less when mounted to a rad
    Last edited by Ketzer7; 08-21-2009 at 12:42 AM. Reason: grammar

Xtreme Member
    Ditch the rad if you want silent. The fins are packed way to closely i switched from a mcr320 to a PA120.3 and damn is the noise difference big.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Onoff312 View Post
    Ditch the rad if you want silent. The fins are packed way to closely i switched from a mcr320 to a PA120.3 and damn is the noise difference big.

Is that the MCR320-QP you are talking about? The fins don't seem that packed to me.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by iandh View Post
    Gentle Typhoons no contest. The blades are designed for max pressure with minimum noise.

Gentle Typhoons have the best noise/airflow ratio of any fan tested on radiators (amongst low speed/silent fans):

+1

As long as you are using a low FPI rad, they are the way to go.

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Quote Originally Posted by Ketzer7 View Post
    Don't forget the GTs are rated in m³/h not CFM. The highest rated GT, AP-15, lists 98 m³/h as its flow rate which (per onlineconversion.com) =

98 cubic meter/hour = 57.680 621 481 cubic foot/minute

Martin's graph seems to show even the AP-15 maxed out at 34 CFM on a rad, so the open air numbers fans quote are going to be less when mounted to a rad
    Thanks, I didn't realize the difference..I may just go with another 3 yate loons to put in a push/pull then.
    Intel Core i7 920 4.2Ghz
    EVGA-E758 3X SLI
    OCZ Gold DDR3 1600 3x2gb
    Sapphire HD4850
    Corsair HX750W
    Lian-li PC-A71B
    WD 750GB
    Saitek Cyborg
    Logitech G5

Xtreme Member
    In your first post you said you don't want to undervolt, but you are going to use a fan controller. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that exactly what fan controllers do? Also, I like yates because they undervolt extremely well and become pretty silent.

heat
    TJ07-Ultra 1200W-E8400-Rampage Formula-4870-4gb G.skill-74gb Raptor-500gb Seagate-Windows 7

Apogee GTZ-XSPC Razor-DDC3.2 w/ XSPC top-PA120.3-MCR220-EK 250 res

Xtreme Member
    Zalman 120s + fan speed control. A very good combination. It can be deadly silent or it can push some extreme amount of air and your case will become a helicopter in that mode...
    i7 950@4.05Ghz HeatKiller 3.0
    EVGA E762 EK WB | 12Gb OCZ3X1600LV6GK
    Razer Tarantula |Razer Imperator | SB X-Fi PCIe
    480GTX Tri SLi EK WBs | HAF X | Corsair AX1200

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic ferret View Post
    In your first post you said you don't want to undervolt, but you are going to use a fan controller. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that exactly what fan controllers do? Also, I like yates because they undervolt extremely well and become pretty silent.
    Well technically no if he gets a PWM fan controller. It seems those don't undervolt the fan.

Seeing he is trying to keep costs down, he probably isn't looking into those.

Xtreme Member
    One more vote for Gnetle Typhoon. I just got four, installed one in my case exhaust duct and CPU temp is down 4 degrees. The fan I had there was stock from Coolermaster and you could barely feel the exhaust (quiet though). I can feel a breeze from the GT and it is silent. I will get the others installed on one of my rads today and should see even better improvement.
    These are without question the best fans I have EVER used.
    i7 920 DO 3850A849 @4410 under custom water.
    Asus P6T deluxe V2
    3X2gb Mushkin DDR3 1600 998691
    Sapphire 4870 1g
    Corsair Hx 850 psu
    2 G.Skill titan 128gb SSDs in RAID0 Data
    Intel X25-M OS drive
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64

I mean i didnt wanna get several of those little crappy 5v or 7v power adaptors, it seems their is an overwhelming consensus on the Gentle Typhoon. So ill probably get them if i can source them in New Zealand, which may be no small feat. What are some acceptable alternatives, thanks for your input guys

Xtreme Addict

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by iandh View Post

And they run at full speed?

Would be nice if somebody could show me 3 or even 5 fans @ full speed in a video or a sound file... would make life so much easier... when choosing fans I mean
    lol... This forum requires that you wait 70 seconds between posts. Please try again in 8 seconds.
    *phone rings*
    Friend: Do you have a spare PSU lying around?
    Me: No why?
    Friend: My PSU just blew up, I think the second 8800GTX might have been too much for it to handle
    Me: what PSU was that again?
    Friend: Antec 480w
    Me:........

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
    And they run at full speed?

Would be nice if somebody could show me 3 or even 5 fans @ full speed in a video or a sound file... would make life so much easier... when choosing fans I mean
    In the stickies.

They don't run the fans together, but you can always open to tabs and start the videos at the same time. You will be able to see the differences though.

Also, those videos will be the loudest any of those fans will be. As you see, the mic is right in front of the fan and the fan is just on a table.

Xtreme Addict
    Ah just the section I didn't look lol... but then again you can't know everything eh
    Thanks millertime, appreciate it
    I'm sure this is helpful to others as well
    lol... This forum requires that you wait 70 seconds between posts. Please try again in 8 seconds.
    *phone rings*
    Friend: Do you have a spare PSU lying around?
    Me: No why?
    Friend: My PSU just blew up, I think the second 8800GTX might have been too much for it to handle
    Me: what PSU was that again?
    Friend: Antec 480w
    Me:........

Engineering The Xtreme
    I have a drawer full of GT's i think like 15 or so all ap-14 or ap-15

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
    Ah just the section I didn't look lol... but then again you can't know everything eh
    Thanks millertime, appreciate it
    I'm sure this is helpful to others as well
    I had to give you a little poke is all.

Yea, Martian's review there is the greatest tool for picking out a new fan. All the major ones are there, and it really gives an idea of how the quality of sound is from different style of fans. That is something I haven't really heard discussed till I read that.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    I have a drawer full of GT's i think like 15 or so all ap-14 or ap-15
    Well at least we know who to blame when they were all sold out for a bit.