Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FTC: Bloggers must disclose payments for reviews

Xtreme Cruncher

FTC: Bloggers must disclose payments for reviews

Bloggers must disclose freebies or payments for their reviews.

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/200910...c_bloggers_ftc
    20 Logs on the fire for WCG: i7 920@2.8 X3220@3.0 X3220@2.4 E8400@4.05 E6600@2.4

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Good deal for us consumers
    ASUS Maximus VI Hero
    Intel 4770K Delidded @ 4.7GHz
    Swiftech DDC w/Petras Top
    EK Supremacy Direct to Die/MCW80 GPU
    XSPC 120.4
    2x8GB G.Skill
    MSI 6950 2GB 975/1400
    Samsung 830 2x128GB RAID0/WD 2x3TB RAID1
    Corsair 800D with AX850W PSU
    Dell U3011 30" LCD

Xtreme Cruncher
    I doubt it will come as any surprise that reviewers get free HW, but outright payment to blog might open some eyes.
    20 Logs on the fire for WCG: i7 920@2.8 X3220@3.0 X3220@2.4 E8400@4.05 E6600@2.4

Wanna look under my kilt?
    In what countries/ continents does the FTC have influence? That might be a very noob question but I dont really bother with things like this.....

How is an opinion valued? How will anyone prove a good or bad comment about a bit of hardware was done with something bought personally or given by the company?

Engineering samples (also many review samples?) et al arent taxed by customs as hardware..... what about the opinions obtained from the use of said items?
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Administrator
    Interesting ....

So we have to say we recieved XXX hardware for the review and it is ours to keep after the review or we have to return it ?

If we recieve any payment for the review we have to say we are being paid ?

Some are actually on the payroll do they have to disclose ?
    I mean how many here are actually getting paid for reviews, and how many actually know they are getting paid ?

Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    In what countries/ continents does the FTC have influence? That might be a very noob question but I dont really bother with things like this.....

How is an opinion valued? How will anyone prove a good or bad comment about a bit of hardware was done with something bought personally or given by the company?

Engineering samples (also many review samples?) et al arent taxed by customs as hardware..... what about the opinions obtained from the use of said items?
    The FTC is US-only as far as I know.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    wow, this comes as a big surprise to me...
    a positive surprise!
    while i have a ton of questions how this is going to be done and checked... its definitely a step in the right direction!
    so far all you have to do is have an ok-good product and then just spend more than everybody else on marketing to appear to have the best product...

Xtreme Cruncher
    well the only review i done we didnt get anything from gainward just the product to test and i think that is the way it should be done
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Xtreme Member
    The walls are caving in for nvidia. It's almost like the perfect storm.

I think the most honest review you'll get is from someone who spent their own money to get a product and review it. Either you liked it, or didn't and you wouldn't be afraid to post any of your opinions because you don't have to worry about offending your "supplier".

Now with the disclosure, one should be able to weave out the biases in a review. In my opinion at least.

I'd trust an independent reviewer who bought the product over someone who was given the product (for free) by the manufacturer any day.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by n19htmare View Post
    I'd trust an independent reviewer who bought the product over someone who was given the product (for free) by the manufacturer any day.
    I wouldn't. If you had such a positive impression on an object that you part with your own cash then you already have pre-bias

Xtreme X.I.P.
    i agree with n19htmare...
    whether you realize it or not, getting something for free always gives you a way diferent impression of the product than if you buy it with your own money...
    and retail products are a diferent thing than hardware samples sent to reviewers, even if they are from the same retail production line... you never know if its really retail or handpicked... in 90% of the reviews it wont make a diference, but for the sake of doing the right thing its better to test retail hardware only...

Xtreme Addict
    send me your money Saaya and we'll all buy the HW to review

Belgium's #1 Hardware Review Site and OC-Team!

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    bloggers? what about actual SITES?
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hey don't get all crazy now...that would put FUD out of biz

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewZorn View Post
    bloggers? what about actual SITES?
    Was thinking the same thing, what exactly is considered a "blogger"?

Xtreme Guru
    I would like to know where this is coming from. I can't recall even once where I have been offered money to review a product. Supposedly it goes on ALOT in the blogging circles (from tech gear to baby formula) but on professional tech sites? Never seen it.

In addition, there is nothing here that would make the FTC actually publish the names of bloggers that received payment.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    Supposedly it goes on ALOT in the blogging circles (from tech gear to baby formula) but on professional tech sites? Never seen it.
    It's not so blatantly obvious that the manufacturer meets the reviewer at Starbucks with a bag full of money. But certain sites get perks like early hardware, engineering samples, exclusives on new hardware etc. It's in the best interest of that site to write favourably about the product. If they don't, it's not very likely they will be getting preferential treatment next time around.

What happens is said site essentially becomes an advertising arm for that manufacturer, including banner ads to compliment what is written. There is a very famous site that does this fairly blatantly.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    I only get a free sample and 1000$ per review.
    Now wth!
    I know SKYMTL gets 3 samples & 1500$, but why me ?!
    Damn you FTC!
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Addict
    I've been offered "free content", reviews written + review kit send for free; "just post it on your site" deals.
    disgusting marketing tactics

Belgium's #1 Hardware Review Site and OC-Team!

Xtreme Guru
    Man, I'm dealing with the wrong PR people.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    Man, I'm dealing with the wrong PR people.
    Me too

Where's my kickback?

Xtreme Addict
    This won't change nothing, they'll just turn in to "bribes".

I am Xtreme
    I don't see how this is going to be kept in check...
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    I only get a free sample and 1000$ per review.
    Now wth!
    I know SKYMTL gets 3 samples & 1500$, but why me ?!
    Damn you FTC!
    I'd like to know what sites you guys work for that's so popular that you get 1K+ for a review. Yeah if I was you I'd be complaining about this also Must be nice.
    Heatware
    filmbot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast