Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCMark2004-What a joke....

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff

PCMark2004-What a joke....

I just spent 4 hours downloading it, and a few other things that it won't run without.

first I download it-no problem.
    try to install it, and it tells me I need windows media encoder 9.
    why?

it's something I don't want, and never plan to use...
    so I get alittle pissed and just download that too.
    being on 56k, that means another hour to wait to download something I have no intention of using...

fine.

then it tells me I need DX9.
    I don't want DX9.
    DX9 screws up my benchmarking...
    but I just say-ok whatever, and download that too.
    theres another hour.

so finally-4 hours later, I get it up and running.
    do a benchmark, and guess what???

no CPU score.
    no Mem Score.
    no HD score.

all the scores are locked out of the free version and all you get is a "system score" to check out.

you get nothing in the free version except a "system score" which tells me absolutly nothing.
    at stock I get 3811...
    very sick of all this BS I just went through just to get a "system" score, I just throw my hands up in the air and say "ok forget-whatever..." and hit "online results browser"

then guess what?

I can't get it online to load.
    I am online, but it just stalls forever.
    and never loads...

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Xtreme Enthusiast
    futuremark is getting really greedy, like with 2003 and how you cant change the tests run.
    20026 01 <-- 9500 NP (on air) CPU TEC Cooled.

Originally posted by FUGGER
    Just the live video sex chat girls come to mind, not that I know anything about that
    With detail settings maxed, full PS and VS support, and highest resolution available, my life runs at 60FPS solid.

AMD Fanboy
    Discussion of 'cracked' versions or illegally related topics are not tolerated.

**Edited by JBELL**
    Dell Studio XPS16... no desktop
    yes i have AIM, yes you can send me a message. EvilSpork3 i dare you.

Yep, they are jsut putting people off using there products.

2001 is such a great success mainly becuase its easy to use as a free product.

My main bugbear about 3dm 2003 is that you cant drop some tests, so tweaking is impossible on the free one as it takes 30min to run one bench... so I dont use it at all.

I wont even install PCmark 2004, thanks for the heads up Kuunak saved me a DL...

If somebody can come out with a good DX9 benchamrk with online compare (how hard can it be?) then they will clean up... I am hoping that carmak will see the oppotunity with doom3.

Chuck Norris Worshipper
    yes, thanks for the heads-up...damn companies thinkin about themselves

Banned
    I must say kunaak, you've had some terrible luck with comps lately, first athlon 64 & now this.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    thx a lot knuaak, almost went through all that sh*t already had dled 2004 and was about to try to install it...

who cares about pcmark anyways? like who tunes his system to get office or photoshop to load faster

2k1 was/is mainly a succuess because it looks good if you ask me... period.

2k3 looks friggin ugly and is coded so diferent and so unefficient it doesnt let you draw conclusions about the game performence of a card anymore
    Last edited by saaya; 11-25-2003 at 02:59 PM.

Xtreme 3DMark Addict
    maybe in 3dmark2005 they will get stuff right this time
    3000+ Venice 240x9=2.16GHz(ondie controller limit) 2x512mb patriot tccd ram
    9700pro at 325/310 runs all games buttery smooth!

9700(8 pipe softmod, 128m) at 410/325 23821 at 325/310 21287 at 275/270 19159
    9500(4 pipes, 128m) at 420/330 18454 at 275/270 13319
    9500(8 pipe softmod, 64m) at 390/310 19201 at 275/270 16052
    9500(4 pipes, 64m) at 400/310 16215 at 275/270 12560
    3dmark scores with Ti4200 and Ti4800se
    Ti4200 at 340/730 19558 at 300/650 18032 at 275/550 16494 at 250/500 15295
    3dmark scores with older gpus
    Ti500 at 275/620 14588 Ti200 at 260/540 13557 MX440 at 380/680 11551

Xtreme Enthusiast
    tru dat, we will have to wait 4 longhorn tho im afraid

Just the live video sex chat girls come to mind, not that I know anything about that
    With detail settings maxed, full PS and VS support, and highest resolution available, my life runs at 60FPS solid.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Kunaak: I'm sorry guy but I'm sittng back LMAO cause I think about this and then back to your fustrations with the via chipset and I couldnt help myself.

Everyone better watch out JB is on a role today (Evil_Spork)
    Cooler Master 110 case w/window and cold cathode/Sony E540
    I7 920@4.4Ghz 210x21 Megahalems
    Gygabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
    OCZ 6Gb DDR3 1600
    XFX ATI 5770 960/1400
    Seagate Barracuda 1.5tb
    Lite-On DVD RW iHAS220-08/Sony Optiarc AD-7190S
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750

That's my 2008 Street Glide.

Xtreme Member
    Futuremark's products are getting worse with every release. Hmm, kind of like Abit. Hmm, like VIA too. Wait, like everyone else too! Sheesh, quality products, hardware or software is becoming a rare thing. We need to have a "good company" appreciation thread. All this crap lately is depressing.
    P35-E / e8400 / 2x1GB Ballistix / 9600GT
    Chaintech AV710 / Panasonic XR55 / AV123 X-LS & Senn HD595
    Heat - SoulEdge || Ebay - Newpaypay

Originally posted by Holst
    My main bugbear about 3dm 2003 is that you cant drop some tests, so tweaking is impossible on the free one as it takes 30min to run one bench... so I dont use it at all.
    You can hit Esc after Mother Nature to just get your score.

If somebody can come out with a good DX9 benchamrk with online compare (how hard can it be?) then they will clean up... I am hoping that carmak will see the oppotunity with doom3.
    We have AM3 for that. Also, Doom 3 is OpenGL.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Yep, they are jsut putting people off using there products.

2001 is such a great success mainly becuase its easy to use as a free product.

I wont even install PCmark 2004, thanks for the heads up Kuunak saved me a DL...

If by "success" you mean loadsa people used it then yes... but if you mean success in the profit sense, then I would say no, the openness of 2001 meant buying the software was a little pointless. They are a company, out to make money, they are not your friend or members of your little scene.

Stop b!tchin (its not just you of course) about how Futuremark arent handing you stuff for free anymore. If you like the software so damn much, go buy it and then you shouldnt have as many reasons to complain and if you did, you would be an actual customer and your opinions would actually count (a little..). Whinging over the free versions is pathetic.

Matt
    Last edited by matt simis; 11-25-2003 at 03:32 PM.

I can be very vocal about things when I get mad-but being mad with the VIA and AMD64 thing is alot different then this.

that built up for 2 weeks, and just one night it was like that extra drop of rain that broke the dam.

this issue with PCMark2004 is just pure disappointment.

see, I was expecting it to be like 3dmark2003, you know, you can run it and see if you like it, but can't change settings or anything.

which in all honesty would have been fine to me.
    that gives me a chance to see if I like the benchmark, evaluate it's usefulness and overall "fun" when looking at it from a overclocking standpoint.

but what you get is absolutly nothing.
    you get one test.
    nothing more.

imagine if you spent 5 hours downloading 3dmark2003 and only got to see the wings benchmark and that was it.
    well thats what this is like.
    you don't get anything, you can't do anything with it.
    just up, and benchmark.
    and then you only get about 1/5th of the entire benchmark.
    so you can't even tell if you want to bother with the rest.

I don't know-it was just really disappointing.
    PCmark2002 is a benchmark I have alot of fun on.
    this 2004 version is just another disappointment, but this time even bigger then 3dmark2003 was, cause atleast on 3dmark2003 you could run the benchmark and see if you like it or not...

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Oh I feel your pain on the dial-up. I'm on dial-up and I wont even begin to download a 35mg file that would be about 3-4 hrs. The only way I get files of this size is to run over to a buddies that has a high speed conection. Maybe this is one of the reasons I was getting such a chuckle out of your post
    Cooler Master 110 case w/window and cold cathode/Sony E540
    I7 920@4.4Ghz 210x21 Megahalems
    Gygabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
    OCZ 6Gb DDR3 1600
    XFX ATI 5770 960/1400
    Seagate Barracuda 1.5tb
    Lite-On DVD RW iHAS220-08/Sony Optiarc AD-7190S
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750

That's my 2008 Street Glide.

Xtreme Addict
    Sorry you wasted your time Kunaak. Should of asked me because I too tried thie earlie. Well like they say "nothing is for free"

Well I sometimes follow Evil_Sporks method. It may be censored but you know what I'm talking about....

Anyways Its pointless to spend your money on it. Just stick w/ pcmark 02

Originally posted by matt simis
    If by "success" you mean loadsa people used it then yes... but if you mean success in the profit sense, then I would say no, the openness of 2001 meant buying the software was a little pointless. They are a company, out to make money, they are not your friend or members of your little scene.

Stop b!tchin (its not just you of course) about how Futuremark arent handing you stuff for free anymore. If you like the software so damn much, go buy it and then you shouldnt have as many reasons to complain and if you did, you would be an actual customer and your opinions would actually count (a little..). Whinging over the free versions is pathetic.

Matt
    I think you have misunderstood my intentions.

Im not saying that 3dmark should be free...

But I think there is an intrinsic problem with there buisiness model with the way they have produced 3dm2003 and pcm2004 in that less people are using them.... and I doubt many more are paying..

Most of futurermarks money (as far as im aware, im not an expert) comes from manufacturers who pay into there development program (or whatever its called) and id expect some income from advertising... they are obviously trying to capitalise on end user purchasing which IMO isnt the right way to go for a benchmark where mass appeal is essential to its success.

Maybee they have just spoiled us with how good 2001 is... although if it was like 2003 would it bee the primary benchmark people use.... I suspect not.

(I feel a bit dumb about pressing esc after mother nature to get a score, ive only run the thing 4-5 times and I never thought to try that :P)

Xtreme Addict
    yeah i hear you Kunaak. Also my A64 scores about 50% lower than P4 at 3.8Ghz... what a flop.

so it's even biased towards P4's again?

damn...

Xtreme Addict
    yes. i was thinking of hooking up my prommie and see what i can do but after i ran a pre-test on air @ 10x210 turbo, cas2/2/2/5 on MSI VIA mobo and compared to some 3.8Ghz P4, totally untweaked i realised i scored way too low to be able to compete. i scored around 4200 vs 7500 P4. So basically i would need a 3Ghz A64 to at leat match that lowly clocked P4...

and yeah, not to mention i had to download and install all that M$ crap...

Kunaak, btw, there are new 4-in-1 4.50 drivers posted at viaarena.com. though you mat wanna try them out.

they are obviously trying to capitalise on end user purchasing which IMO isnt the right way to go for a benchmark where mass appeal is essential to its success.

Maybee they have just spoiled us with how good 2001 is... although if it was like 2003 would it bee the primary benchmark people use.... I suspect not.

I agree completly with your arguement holst, but this part I really see.

I couldn't have said it better, my friend

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Originally posted by matt simis

Matt
    dude, its not about the money! i guess thats all YOU think is important but just have a look at this forum and the scene... amd and intel just released 1000$ cpus and ati and nvidia will release 500$ videocards in a few weeks and all hardcore enthusiasts are buying them, some even buy both cpus and videocards... its NOT about the money....
    man i would pay 50$ for a benchmark if it was a GOOD benchmark!!!!

nobody cares about paying money if you actually get something for the money. but as kunaak and everybody else pointed out already you get less and less with every new futuremark release! and they cost more and more and the orb is down more and more often and gets slower every week!

and no, futuremark DOES have to do with the enthusiasts scene, at least thats where they come from. only since they changed their name from MADONION to FUTUREMARK it seems to be all about the money...

i really dont like the role they are playing in the hardware scene... nvidia did cheat in their drivers, but they only released this new patch after nvidia cut their payments to futuremark again. its really sad to see nvidia and ati paying money to futuremark who is blackmailing and pressing money out of them... i hope we get some GOOD benchmarks soon to relief this situation. aquamark3 is already a move towards the right direction, but its not seperated into diferent parts, its all based on one single game engine...

They are a company, out to make money
    nice pointing out matt, thats exactly what i think happend to futuremark. they only focus on making money rather than making a good product/offering a good service(orb) and dont think about their resposability towards the industry/scene
    Last edited by saaya; 11-25-2003 at 06:08 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    PCMark 2004 sucks.

I only get 4320 Marks with my system running at default clock speeds. No overclocking.

It is silly because my system can beat the Pentium IV 4Ghz system in 3DMark 2001 SE and nearly the same performance in 3DMark 2003.

Intel has paid Futuremark good amount of money. Just in time for Pentium IV 3.2EE.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    TBH, I'm starting to get in my mind that if the benchmark doesn't do anything remotely useful, then it's a useless benchmark.

Even Super Pi and Pi Fast are useful in a way

I for one think we should all start using benchmarks that are actually based around apps that we can actually use and do something with, that is the ONLY way to reflect real life situations.
    Last edited by Walrusbonzo; 11-26-2003 at 02:17 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast

You do realize without the "pathetic" free versions they wouldnt have a company right? Without the "pathetic" free versions, people who bought the software wouldn't have anything to compare their systems too. So essentially they shouldn't be just shunning those who don't feel like paying 40.00 for a benchmark. It should be an option, if you like the software, buy it. Like winRAR. They don't have a restricted free version, but I bought it anyway because it is good software.
    Last edited by Slickthellama; 11-26-2003 at 09:25 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast