Thread: Copper clay for pot base?

Xtreme Member

Copper clay for pot base?

We all know that machining those intracet designs in the base is really tough.

HAve you guys ever heard of copper clay?
    I have a friend that makes jewelry and she has this stuff called "copper clay".

I was asking her about it and this is how it works:
    The copper clay has some kind of other filler in it that makes it a clay so you can bend and engrave it.

Once you make your design with the clay you put it in a kiln and then all the filler in it burns out so you are left with a copper base that can have some awsome intrcet designs.

So do you guys think this stuff would work for making pots?

It is pretty expensive but if you only use it for the base it would be awsome. Rio grand sells it for like $10 every 100g's

¿
    The problem with this concept would mainly be conductivity, all good CU containers are made from forged CU. Cast (this sounds similar) CU does not have the proper alignment of atoms to allow high conductivity. That and you'd need to machine the finished product anyway, may as well machine from the start.

Xtreme Member
    ^I dont think so.

THe clay is really easy to make stuff out of. Rio grande claims the finished product to be 99.99% silver.

Sounds pretty solid to me. What do you think? Am i missing something?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OverShocked View Post
    ^I dont think so.

THe clay is really easy to make stuff out of. Rio grande claims the finished product to be 99.99% silver.

Sounds pretty solid to me. What do you think? Am i missing something?
    GHZ is right.

The density of the copper clay you were talking about is even less than cast copper. It wouldn't perform as well as the bars we use.

Xtreme Member
    Ah... i understand. So the filler material would make the end result less dense.